Rebuild Rhetoric: Randle = Step #1, Step #2 = Lin, #3?

Re: Tank Talk: what to do, who to sign, where we draft?

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 am

I dont see much of anything out of embiid that reminds me of Howard. Bad passes and a few bad shots aren't any comparison to howard. If he was putting up ugly looking hook shots that clank off the rim badly or traveled on a post move and looked mechanical/robot like than I would agree :man10: . As for other comparison of Ibaka, not even close, Ibaka only offensive game is jump shots and put backs, only time he post up is on smaller players and even then his foot work isn't even as good as some of those embiid highlights.

As with any picks, bigs are most likely the biggest potential for bust but just from rebounding and defensive standpoint he would at least be a solid contributor for the long term if he doesnt have any major injuries. His recoveries on PnR D is amazing, even for the amt of praise I gave to Howard last season, I see Howard still not able to defend PnR well even now in Hou. Embiid ability to disrupt PnR with his height and speed alone could make a world of difference for our team cause I dont ever recall this team being able to defend this play very well over the years, I think the best highlight I ever saw out of this team was the Clark/Hill combo that made it tough on Westbrook that one game they played together and was extremely effective. Bosh for all the criticism he gets is one of the best bigs I've seen in this league that disrupts PnR on a regular, his speed and aggresiveness forces the PG to go out further than they want and eliminates the passing angles to the cutter/roller, same think I could see out of Embiid and with younger and more atheltic wing we could potentially play that type of D if we had a better coach as well.
khmrP

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:59 am

Who said Embiid looks like Howard? :freak2: I can watch a 2:00 clip of Embiid and all but declare he is nothing like Howard.

Stature: not like Howard's. But imagine if the dude started HGHing.
Footwork: superior to Howard's.
Soft Touch: Does not even exist in Howard's universe.
Post Moves: Did Howard even know what a post move was at 18 years old?

I haven't seen much of his defense but I will go out on a limb and say he is a more complete offensive player than Howard. At least at this point in their careers.
Chillbongo

Postby halekulani on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:35 pm

just to keep things interesting, a few players to keep an eye on

kj mcdaniel - 1.5stls/almost 3blks per game...at SF. probably one of the best, if not the best, perimeter defender in the draft. most of these are not help/weak side blocked shots. these are one on one, which makes it even more impressive. very shawn marion-like...won't create offense on his own but is going to be a coveted role player. very good rebounder and will get the dirty, put back buckets

deandre kane - senior but is like 25 y.o. lol. easy player to watch because he does the little tendencies you'd expect out of a seasoned player (ie. while running in transition he will pull on the brakes to draw the easy foul). great balance between distributor and scorer. has the size to rebound. i think phil jackson would have loved this guy since he sounds like a perfect point for PJ. he has really improved as a player under hoiberg making better decisions and obv thrives in a more uptempo offense. his terrible FT% is weird because his mechanics look ok. he knows how to attack the rim and draw fouls though, so even if he misses, it is not a completely wasted possession.
halekulani

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:45 pm

One player i feel people are sleeping on (and i've said it already) is Glenn Robinson III (the son of Glenn "Big Dawg" Robinson).

His stock has dropped a little bit to the 15-20 range, but I think he's got some game to him given the opportunity. Prototypical athletic wing SG/SF with all around offensive skills. I'm not saying he's Paul Geroge, but he has a similar game to him and Andre Iguodala.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Embiid & Parker seem like the Safest picks... Most of the top 6-7 guys have great potential, but I don't think any of them are a guaranteed Star player..
LakerFanIam

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:39 pm

No one is really a "safe" pick. Anyone can be a bust, some can be breakout players.

Lillard was taken 6th. Paul George taken 10th.

It's up to our scouts to really determine who's worth whatever pick we get, whether it's #1 or #8.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Easy guys, trodgers was referring to a bit of a facial resemblance to Howard. That's all. (I think) :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:14 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Easy guys, trodgers was referring to a bit of a facial resemblance to Howard. That's all. (I think) :man12:

that may have been it, I just overread it....but I dont see the resemblence. He looks more like young Nene to me before he got all bulked up.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:17 pm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10545966/kansas-jayhawks-joel-embiid-sit-final-two-regular-season-games-back-injury

I don't think this is an injury concern for the future, more of a conditioning/strength thing he'll need to develop as he plays more and more. 2 years of physical basketball play isn't much, and his body is not used to it.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby bltkmt on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:50 pm

halekulani wrote:kj mcdaniel - 1.5stls/almost 3blks per game...at SF. probably one of the best, if not the best, perimeter defender in the draft. most of these are not help/weak side blocked shots. these are one on one, which makes it even more impressive. very shawn marion-like...won't create offense on his own but is going to be a coveted role player. very good rebounder and will get the dirty, put back buckets

+1 on McDaniel. He had a great game against Maryland this weekend. Best player on that Clemson team.
bltkmt

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 pm

HELL YEAH SCREW TANKING!

That was a damn fun game. Good for the guys and good for my heart to see a Laker team competing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:HELL YEAH SCREW TANKING!

That was a damn fun game. Good for the guys and good for my heart to see a Laker team competing.

Yeah that was a fun game.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29 pm

That's what I was thinking while watching the game...

Now I'm not so sure seeing how close we are to falling to the 8th spot in the lottery after we were within range of #3 a few games ago. I'm going to be PISSED if after this terrible of a season we get the 8th freakin' pick.
Helljumper

Postby TheOp on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:34 pm

Sorry but some of us wanna win championships.
TheOp

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm

TheOp wrote:

And some of us don't want to be losers, have a losing mentality, or spend their time watching and rooting for failure. Failure breeds more failure.

Any Laker fan who watched that and didn't enjoy it needs to go support the 76ers, Bobcats, or New York Knicks. I'll go ahead and enjoy this win.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41 pm

TheOp wrote:

Such a ridiculous statement. I'm pretty sure I want to win championships too.
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 pm

TheOp wrote:

Who is the last top pick to lead their team to a title? It might take a decade, but you will find it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TheOp on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:
TheOp wrote:

And some of us don't want to be losers, have a losing mentality, or spend their time watching and rooting for failure. Failure breeds more failure.

Any Laker fan who watched that and didn't enjoy it needs to go support the 76ers, Bobcats, or New York Knicks. I'll go ahead and enjoy this win.

Do you think another championship is going to just fall in our lap? You are unfamiliar with how the NBA works then.
TheOp

Postby Barnstable on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
TheOp wrote:

Who is the last top pick to lead their team to a title? It might take a decade, but you will find it.

He has no clue. It's like talking to a brick wall. Just "lose so we can get the first pick" as if that were a magic formula.

If he knew anything about the draft he'd know top 5 gives you about an equal chance at landing that impact player. We will be top 5 if you've seen our schedule.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 pm

TheOp wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
TheOp wrote:

Do you think another championship is going to just fall in our lap? You are unfamiliar with how the NBA works then.

TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby seasonVet24 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:00 pm

TheOp wrote:

:bang: well genius, what make you so sure that having the top 3 pick will win us a chamiponship ??

This is probably one of the worst season I've experience as a Lakers fan but every game I've watched I root for us to win. Having that losing mentality and root for the Lakers to fail, that's just neither a true fan or competitor in life.
seasonVet24

Postby TheOp on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Who said anything about getting the top pick. If you take a look at the standings were in danger of falling out of the Top 7. We could potentially end up with the 8th or 9th pick.

Its such a shame to see Laker Nation care more about winning meaningless games rather then getting that impact player that could help bring another championship here.
TheOp

Postby seasonVet24 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:11 pm

TheOp wrote:Who said anything about getting the top pick. If you take a look at the standings were in danger of falling out of the Top 7. We could potentially end up with the 8th or 9th pick.

Its such a shame to see Laker Nation care more about winning meaningless games rather then getting that impact player that could help bring another championship here.

You do know that the draft is rigged right? :man1:
seasonVet24

Postby Helljumper on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Barnstable wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
TheOp wrote:

He has no clue. It's like talking to a brick wall. Just "lose so we can get the first pick" as if that were a magic formula.

If he knew anything about the draft he'd know top 5 gives you about an equal chance at landing that impact player. We will be top 5 if you've seen our schedule.

You guys are underestimating how close the race is. Yeah, we're due to win games here and there and we're most likely going to end up with enough losses to be in the Top 5 anyways due to our brutal schedule ... but that's not a certainty. If things stay as close as they are, one win can take us from the top 5 to outside of the top 8. That will drastically reduce our chances of picking up an impact player, and that will be very annoying as a fan if it happened as a result of a game that we "should have" lost (in terms of Portland having one of the top records in the league) but won purely for the sake of pride.

I'm not blaming the players because as a fan it was awesome seeing them play with some pride on both ends of the court since it's been so rare, but once again, let's not act like winning this game didn't hurt our chances of being ableto draft a player that can potentially help as an important piece to a championship team.

Emphasis (obviously) on the words I bolded. None of the pro-tankers are claiming that the standings definitively translate to draft seedings. But they do improve our chances of getting a higher pick. None of the pro-tankers are claiming that a higher pick will automatically lead to a better player. But it does give you the ability to pick the better player before another team has a chance to take them which is all that matters assuming your scouting staff is competent. No one's saying that a player we get with a high draft pick could conclusively leads us to a title. But if Kobe comes back healthy and we make the right moves with our cap space, they might end up being a key contributor to a title run which is all we can ask for.
Helljumper

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:14 pm

TheOp wrote:Who said anything about getting the top pick. If you take a look at the standings were in danger of falling out of the Top 7. We could potentially end up with the 8th or 9th pick.

What impact player drafted in the top 10 has brought a championship to their team? It might take you a decade, but you will find it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion