REITERATING: Phil Jackson says he's done coaching (Pg. 7)

Re: Phil wants role similar to Riley in MIA ;headed to TOR?(P.4)

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:26 am

^^ Interesting article! Thanks for posting Rock. Did not know about Phil's prostate cancer although it seems like he's been able to deal with that.

And the big revelation there is that Phil said that Pau did have an undisclosed but serious family issue. I've been wondering about that out loud since that time. I knew even in the pre-season that something was up with Pau and he never looked like himself that whole year (he had numbers but that was the beginning of seeing him get routinely pushed around on the block by smaller guys). The girlfriend thing has been dragged up again here and Bystander has squashed it several times. Who knows, what it was . . . but now at least we know it was SOMETHING. And something related to "family." I don't need to know the dirt or anything, but at least I know there was something, now, as many suspected.

Howard's girl hates D' Antoni? Great! Maybe he'll make a point about getting him canned this summer. I want that guy out. He is not the biggest issue between us being a contender or not, but he doesn't help anything.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Re: Phil Jackson had prostate cancer in 2011 (Pg. 5)

Postby 432J on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:53 am

it seems like everyone was just worn out during that 2011 season. coming off 3 straight finals appearances and 2 straight wins. phil and pau especially didn't look like themselves all season long, pau we still don't really know what his situation was but now we know why phil wasn't his usual self.

you could tell they just had nothing left in the tank during that NO series and then dallas was just too good, not to mention they made just about every shot they took that series. it still makes me mad to think that that's how phil went out, he wasn't supposed to end his career that way
432J

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 am

The only way this chapter ends is with Kobe and Phil going out together with a championship. :man2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Helljumper on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Probably just wishful thinking, but I kinda have a feeling that Jimmy's already apologized to Phil and they have an agreement for him to come back after we fire D'antoni. I mean why not? PJ is literally family so it'd be easy for the two to make a hand-shake agreement like this. And despite how we shafted him, there's no way he turns down this coaching gig if it opens up again just to spite Jim. Especially if Jim acquiesces and gives Phil a front office role as well (hell, maybe all this talk about a front office role/interest from some other mediocre teams is just bargaining from Phil's side). And from Jim's perspective, he's a new owner and the fanbase already irrationally hates him. Why not make amends by giving the fans EXACTLY what they want. Even if it goes badly and Phil's unable to lead us to the promised land, none of that blame would go to Jim.

Phil comes back as head coach this summer with a say in personnel maters. We craft a team suited for the triangle. We might not win it all next year with Kobe's injury and the adjustment period of learning the triangle. But then in 2014 we bring back Kobe on a cheap contract. Kobe gets a full summer to train and master how to play with his new body after the achilles injury. We use the rest of our capspace to get our future replacement for Kobe that can serve as an elite sixth man or starting SF while learning from Kobe. The rest of the roster is accustomed to the triangle by now and Dwight becomes a beast under Phil's tutelage. Kobe/Dwight/Phil lead us to the championship. Kobe and Phil retire. Phil moves into a permanent front office role. Brian Shaw becomes head coach to lead the new era of Lakers basketball.

... OR Jim's a stubborn idiot and we keep D'antoni, stick with our terrible philosophy of just stuffing the most talented "names" onto our roster as possible, and remain mired in mediocrity for years :man6:
Helljumper

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:31 pm

^Appreciate the wishful thinking....there is some hope. I think this season has really stamped in reality for Mr. Buss. Either he's going to realize the shortcomings and acquiesce to the demands of the fan base and his sister or, he is truly a delusional narcissist.
Chillbongo

Postby trodgers on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Just read that...CRAZY.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:24 pm

Helljumper wrote:Probably just wishful thinking, but I kinda have a feeling that Jimmy's already apologized to Phil and they have an agreement for him to come back after we fire D'antoni. I mean why not? PJ is literally family so it'd be easy for the two to make a hand-shake agreement like this. And despite how we shafted him, there's no way he turns down this coaching gig if it opens up again just to spite Jim. Especially if Jim acquiesces and gives Phil a front office role as well (hell, maybe all this talk about a front office role/interest from some other mediocre teams is just bargaining from Phil's side). And from Jim's perspective, he's a new owner and the fanbase already irrationally hates him. Why not make amends by giving the fans EXACTLY what they want. Even if it goes badly and Phil's unable to lead us to the promised land, none of that blame would go to Jim.

Phil comes back as head coach this summer with a say in personnel maters. We craft a team suited for the triangle. We might not win it all next year with Kobe's injury and the adjustment period of learning the triangle. But then in 2014 we bring back Kobe on a cheap contract. Kobe gets a full summer to train and master how to play with his new body after the achilles injury. We use the rest of our capspace to get our future replacement for Kobe that can serve as an elite sixth man or starting SF while learning from Kobe. The rest of the roster is accustomed to the triangle by now and Dwight becomes a beast under Phil's tutelage. Kobe/Dwight/Phil lead us to the championship. Kobe and Phil retire. Phil moves into a permanent front office role. Brian Shaw becomes head coach to lead the new era of Lakers basketball.

... OR Jim's a stubborn idiot and we keep D'antoni, stick with our terrible philosophy of just stuffing the most talented "names" onto our roster as possible, and remain mired in mediocrity for years :man6:

^^ Please, please, please let the first part of your post come true Helljumper!! That's what I've been hoping and dreaming of. Jim and Phil and Jeannie make amends. Jim let's Phil in. It would be so epic. Well . . . here's to that dream. I truly wish that it happens. Nothing would make me happier as a fan. :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^Appreciate the wishful thinking....there is some hope. I think this season has really stamped in reality for Mr. Buss. Either he's going to realize the shortcomings and acquiesce to the demands of the fan base and his sister or, he is truly a delusional narcissist.

I wish Phil would come back too but it's NOT HAPPENING. He doesn't want to coach again. He wants a front office job where he can have a ton of say over the players and coaching staff for the team. This way he still is in the game, which he still wants and doesn't have to travel as much.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby VincentTH on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 am

Unfortunately, that will not happen (Jim letting Phil in the FO, because they are "family"). There would be a small chance that would happen if the late Dr. Buss were still around, but now, there is noone to hold the leash on the baseball cap boy.

I just wish he stayed with the race track. He single handedly destroy the lakers dynasty with childish decisions.
VincentTH

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:^Appreciate the wishful thinking....there is some hope. I think this season has really stamped in reality for Mr. Buss. Either he's going to realize the shortcomings and acquiesce to the demands of the fan base and his sister or, he is truly a delusional narcissist.

I wish Phil would come back too but it's NOT HAPPENING. He doesn't want to coach again. He wants a front office job where he can have a ton of say over the players and coaching staff for the team. This way he still is in the game, which he still wants and doesn't have to travel as much.

Maybe I should have used 'some' in italics. I don't necessarily even want him as coach, but in an FO role and playing the Pat Riley role for Shaw/Fisher like Lazenby suggested.
Chillbongo

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

Maybe I should have used 'some' in italics. I don't necessarily even want him as coach, but in an FO role and playing the Pat Riley role for Shaw/Fisher like Lazenby suggested.

With the all cap letter I wasn't trying to put your statement down or anything like that. Just wanted to make sure that what I wrote and meant was easier to see.
Battle Tested20

Postby Snake Eyes on Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Normally I agree that hope is a positive thing, but the Lakers performance this season has made me more cynical. Friedrich Nietzsche once wrote: "Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of man." I think we will have to deal with Jim Buss for a while. I am not sure that is going to work out.

Sorry, I am still bitter.Such high hopes for this season...
Snake Eyes

Postby JSM on Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 pm

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/jac ... ach-search

With Phil leading the coaching search for Detroit, I wonder if that means Shaw will finally get his chance.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 pm

JSM wrote:http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/jac ... ach-search

With Phil leading the coaching search for Detroit, I wonder if that means Shaw will finally get his chance.

My thinking exactly. If not for Shaw I know Kurt Rambis has dibs next
Battle Tested20

Postby kblo247 on Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 am

I wouldn't be shocked to see him say hire Nate, so Dantoni can't have him as his coordinator, and then in turn Rambis is hired by LA and lays in wait for the job that Phil always meant for him and Shaw to have
kblo247

Postby JSM on Tue May 07, 2013 6:21 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo wrote:Phil Jackson has rejected the Brooklyn Nets' overtures to take over as coach, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Nets general manager Billy King talked with Jackson on Tuesday, and Jackson, the 11-time champion coach, reaffirmed his desire to pursue a broader front-office role over coaching in his return to the NBA.
Mikhail Prokhorov, the Nets' billionaire owner, was believed to be prepared to make Jackson the highest-paid coach in team history.

Jackson is consulting with the Detroit Pistons on their coaching search, and could ultimately receive an offer from the Toronto Raptors to run that organization.

The Nets had waited for a response from Jackson before embarking on their coaching search, and now will soon start reaching out to candidates.

The Nets lost in seven games to the Chicago Bulls in an Eastern Conference first-round series.

The New York Post first reported Jackson's decision with the Nets.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue May 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 55s
Phil turned down Nets, but source tells ESPN he's still open to possibility of coaching if he "has say in the roster."

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 50s
Phil's been pretty clear. He wants influence over a franchise a la Riley in Miami. Prefers front office, but would coach if he's got power.

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 33s
If he doesn't have influence over franchise, source says Phil might just stay retired for now.

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 5m
It's going to take the right fit to lure Phil back. He's in listen mode, not looking mode.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 pm

He wants to be in LA. I'm almost sure of it...

He admitted he'd coach here, he hasn't shown an ounce of interest elsewhere. He just wants to be in the FO here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Just trade D12 to Memphis for Conley/Gasol

Bring back Phil and let the Gasol bro's run the triangle. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby 432J on Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 pm

just imagine phil and mitch calling all the shots instead of stupid jim buss who just ruins everything

:disagree:
432J

Postby lakersin4 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 am

Doc Brown wrote:Just trade D12 to Memphis for Conley/Gasol

Bring back Phil and let the Gasol bro's run the triangle. :man1:

Gasol isn't as good as he looks in Memphis, & Dwight isn't as bad as he looked this season. Conley isn't enough to bridge that gap imo. Add Tony Allen & we're talking.. I'd much rather give up both Pau & Nash for Zbo & Conley.. Maybe Hollinger's stats can convince them to go for it :man9:
lakersin4

Postby Finwë on Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 am

So what's up with Phil's book? is it out already?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JSM on Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Finwë wrote:So what's up with Phil's book? is it out already?

May 21st
JSM

Postby The Rock on Thu May 09, 2013 10:27 pm

What the heck does he want. He doesn't want to coach. Yet when offered a front office position of complete power that he desires, he doesn't take it (Toronto, New Jersey). I'm starting to think hes just getting some buz to get his name out there for his book or whatever. I dont think hes serious about the NBA at all. He wants to be with a team that already has a title contending team and wants to inch them closer ok but who wants to do that? The Clippers? Maybe but hes made an enemy out of Sterling over the years with the verbal jabs

No offense to Phil but why would a well established team want him for like a 2-3 year basis teams want a GM whos gonna be there for a while right?

Hes all over the place. I think he wants full control of the Lakers and Im sorry i dont trust him with it. Maybe as a coach...maybe it depends on the roster moves we makes. Its triangle or bust and we know this...maybe bring back Lamar and Shannon? EL OH EL

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Thu May 09, 2013 10:51 pm

When Phil came here in '99/2000 he brought winning players with him, Ron Harper for sure, and I could be wrong, but I believe Brian Shaw as well (John Salley I believe too, mostly for locker room presence). He isn't perfect with GM type decisions, nobody is, but I trust Phil. Harper had won with him in Chicago, Shaw had already been to a Finals before with Shaq, and Salley had won in Detroit. Salley didn't do much except bring locker room experience from his career, but Harper and Shaw were leaders and calming influences on the team and proved to be clutch with that experience. Also, Horace Grant joined back up with Phil the next season as well, and that worked out pretty fantastic.

My point is, I trust Phil, a lot more than most others in NBA ball. I would trust him running a franchise along with Mitch, Phil knows winning, a lot like Riley. Phil seems to knows role players that will get the job done, he gets more out of them than most others as well. You ask what he wants, you seem to have answered it, he wants the Lakers ultimately, I would think at least a high up job to really be a part of decision making, he literally is family after all, or he will be eventually.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion