REITERATING: Phil Jackson says he's done coaching (Pg. 7)

Re: Phil Jackson had prostate cancer in 2011 (Pg. 5)

Postby therealdeal on Sat May 11, 2013 9:47 am

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I just know that Jim Buss, even if he did this, would face criticism. I don't blame him for wanting to prove (frankly) most of YOU guys wrong. I can't blame him for wanting to do it his way and wanting to be the one that brings the city back to the promised land. Especially if Phil can't swallow some of his own pride as well.

We'll see how much influence we fans have. We'll see how much influence the season ticket holders have. I don't know if it's enough.

Jimmy is going to face criticism for whatever move he makes right now, that's just the position he put himself into. Comes with the territory. But to a very large degree -- winning cures all. Winning makes people happy and makes people forget. Any oddsmaker in Vegas will tell you having Phil Jackson on your payroll in any regard will increase your chances to win.

I don't think just the fans and season ticket holders can get it done. It would take a talk by Kobe and/or Dwight. Dwight won't make any demands this summer, he knows his image can't afford it. But that doesn't mean he can't express his concern with the current coaching situation and describe what type of offense he believes LA would be getting the most bang for their buck with -- the triangle led by one Mr. Jackson.

I agree. Although I think some of the circumstance of the fans hating Jim wasn't necessarily his fault. He deserves wild criticism for his coaching decisions, but his personnel moves have been mostly great. His more personal decisions should also probably count against him a bit. I think he's become the number one blame option though and I think that's just silly. He's blamed for almost everything when it comes to the Lakers. I do think that if the Lakers began winning again he'd get some credit, but it would take a very, very long time before he got the credit he deserved. For instance, if we win a Championship within the next five years, how many people would be saying "we won in spite of Jim" or "call me again when he's won 10"? It's unfair, but them's the breaks.

I agree that it would take a joint effort by Kobe/Dwight/ticket holders/probably Mitch/the fans in general to get this ball rolling. That's one of the reasons I just don't see it happening. The ticket holders don't have as much to complain about as they did the first time Phil left: we still made the damn playoffs this year. Kobe isn't going to have as much leverage now that we're unsure of his return ability. And like you said Dwight likely won't try to rock the boat too much.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:43 am

Real, let me tell you why its JImmy's fault.

You want to hire a coach based off of a vision you had, then by all means go for it, since its your team. But then you look at this roster and the vision didn't match the personnel....the same personnel you traded and constructed before the hire. The same personnel that fit a candidate that had 11 rings to his name to a P.

You want to run and gun, but how can you when the gun is attached to a tank. So why exactly is it JImmy's fault?

Aside from forcing the fit and ignoring a family member with the highest of credentials, the most erroneous thing he did was to get his mouth piece (who is a bright man himself) to feed the fans an absolute lie! Their explanation to the MDA hire was no different than the "basketball reasons" Stern fed us for the nixed CP3 deal. They made you believe that the players were too dumb to pick up an offense midseason (when only 5 games had been played at the time) and that the personnel fit more with MDA's than it would with the triangle. Let me remind you that Nash was the only add on that "fit" MDA's style and dude was about to turn 39.

Here's a thought...be genuinely honest. "I appreciate what Phil has done for us over the years, but I'm not the biggest fan of the triangle and the style it showcases. Plus, Phil kind of makes me feel small and I'm not sure I could be comfortable dealing with him again...." Just tell us the truth or STFU. He did neither..and lets just say I'm not a fan of being fed feces.

JImmy has brought all this scrutiny onto himself and it is absolutely warranted. He does this, while he hides behind daddy's legacy (even suggesting that it was Dad's dying wish to see Showtime again....from his death bed) and his GM, who has him lie for him. This dude laid off loyal employees not 2 summers ago to make room for his brothers and his bartender....so what exactly is Phil then? Chopped liver-in-law.

This is why I hated the notion that the Lakers make the playoffs to save face. I watched the playoffs and personally, I didn't see a Lakers team competing out there....did you? So then what was the point?

If we win a title 5 years from now...you know what I'm going to say?....we could have won more!

F Jimmy....and unlike him, I'm putting my true feelings out there.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon May 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Phil and Jim have a year to figure it out but we all know if Jim gives Phil an inch he'd want a mile. Phil not only wants to be a coach but wants more power...its obvious. But any case this was interesting

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/05/10/phil-jacksons-upcoming-book-partly-delves-into-underachieving-2010-11-season/

After reading the entire book, it seems unlikely the Lakers will have much reaction toward Jackson’s revelations in the same fashion as his previous book, “The Last Season,” which he described Kobe Bryant as “uncoachable” during the 2003-04 year that ended in an NBA Finals loss to the Detroit Pistons. None of Jackson’s book touch on how the Lakers passed up his assistant Brian Shaw to replace him in favor of Mike Brown. Nor does Jackson go into his version on how the Lakers chose Mike D’Antoni over him this season after Brown’s firing despite Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and vice president of player personnel Jim Buss meeting him at his Play del Rey residence. In fact, Jackson offers no criticisms in the book whatsoever toward Jim Buss.

Jim should stick to cutting checks & let Mitch do this GM job. Same for Phil, sit on the bench and do your thing instead of asking for more power. Both have sacrifices to make and bot have reservations about the other

I hope Mitch and Phil are on the same page...that 2011 Sasha trade was so stupid. We gave up an expiring contract + 1st round pick for a guy who was supposed to backup Pau and got no Playing time. SMDH

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Tue May 21, 2013 10:12 am

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/9633d14b-aed0-45e1-b58a-e2521ea501dd/?source=twitter
If not for the Heat's imposing presence, Phil might be Lakers coach now. He told @dpshow the prospect of losing ...

to the Heat in the 2013 NBA Finals was a factor in that two-day November stretch when he mulled replacing Mike Brown -- before the Lakers surprised Jackson by signing Mike D'Antoni before Jackson could decide.

"I felt like they (Kobe & Co.) were schooled well enough in the offensive system that I ran so that they could really play, step right in and play. And I felt it would be pretty easy for Nash and for Howard to learn the system. It's an easy system to learn. But I never had a feeling like, 'This is the right thing to do. It must be done.'

"And I told Jeanie at one point when I went in to talk to her about it, 'I think maybe we can get out of the Western Conference; we're a good enough team. That's a talented enough team. But boy, I'd sure hate to lose in the Finals again. That's something I have to start thinking about -- how one has to beat Miami.' "

In response to Dan Patrick's direct question, "Were out offered the Lakers' job?" Jackson said: "That would be yes to the question, because it was proposed to me without any hesitation. But I was not being sold on the job. They wanted to hear me out; I wanted to hear them out as to why they were doing what they were doing and what their rationale was. I felt there wasn't a whole lot of subterfuge, any acting or any kind of pretense behind it, so I felt they were pretty honest with me."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 am

11.50 mark of 2nd video he says he's done coaching

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Phil Jackson says he's done coaching (Pg. 7)

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 21, 2013 10:39 am

Is that news? He's been saying so for months from his own mouth.

That's been one of my main points all along when it came to him not being hired in the first place after Brown was fired. He'd told Rambis and others close to him that he really didn't want to coach any more.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: BREAKING: Phil Jackson says he's done coaching (Pg. 7)

Postby hollywood swinger on Tue May 21, 2013 10:57 am

yes phil is a realist he knows he is done coaching he can barely walk. now all these fools calling for MDA (who deserves to be fired) be replaced by phil need to pipe down. There are other good candidates if MDA is fired.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 am

therealdeal wrote:Is that news? He's been saying so for months from his own mouth.

That's been one of my main points all along when it came to him not being hired in the first place after Brown was fired. He'd told Rambis and others close to him that he really didn't want to coach any more.

Yep, he's said this for quite some time, since he left the Lakers last actually. Certainly not breaking news.

He does seem like a man that would change his mind depending on the circumstance though, and everything he's said during the circus of the MDA hire indicated that he would eventually have told Mitch yes and have come back for one last hurrah though because of how things ended vs Dallas.

I think the ideal situation would be to let Phil be an advisor and hire Shaw to coach. Dwight like the idea of having Phil around, but really he seems to be way too sensitive to thrive under Phil. Let him mentor Dwight instead.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 am

Tobias Funke wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Is that news? He's been saying so for months from his own mouth.

Yep, he's said this for quite some time, since he left the Lakers last actually. Certainly not breaking news.

He does seem like a man that would change his mind depending on the circumstance though, and everything he's said during the circus of the MDA hire indicated that he would eventually have told Mitch yes and have come back for one last hurrah though because of how things ended vs Dallas.

I think the ideal situation would be to let Phil be an advisor and hire Shaw to coach. Dwight like the idea of having Phil around, but really he seems to be way too sensitive to thrive under Phil. Let him mentor Dwight instead.

This was my plan as well. Hire either Rambis or Shaw (or really any coach with Phil approval because I think he'd be fine with others) and allow one of them to run a newer system of the Triangle. One that might cater more to the style of basketball in play right now.

Phil doesn't need to coach necessarily. He can come down from the tower and work with the team or players individually from time to time, but keeping his other people in place to do their jobs.

I'm not exactly sure who loses in this scenario. Except maybe D'Antoni.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Tue May 21, 2013 11:29 am

If you don't understand just how much Dwight would buy into Phila nd how easily he'd resign if Phil we're involved in the Laker franchise, start video 2 at 8 min mark.
Center Court

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue May 21, 2013 11:35 am

^Agreed. I love Phil's response when Dan asked him, "do you think Dwight will stay?" Interesting insights form Phil. Makes me wish he worked for us in some capacity. Such a brilliant mind...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Cleansed on Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 am

The Rock wrote:

11.50 mark of ...video he says he's done coaching

Image GIFSoup
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue May 21, 2013 11:50 am

man, i just love listening to phil speak. nice to listen to the musings of a sharp mind.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 21, 2013 11:52 am

Crazy. Now let's get his a** in a consultant/VP role. Actually, this probably screws everything up.

For Phil to be a part of this organization in any capacity, Jim will now have to relinquish his power to Phil.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Well, Colangelo is out as Raptors GM but is still President. Making room for Phil?
Chillbongo

Postby nameant on Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Hopefully the use of "Breaking News" is sarcasm. He said he was done a while back.
nameant

Postby Weezy on Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm

It's funny that Phil saying things that should be common sense (lakers need to use Dwight better, Lakers are too old to run) make him look like a genius because we're used to 'Antoni right now and it took him months to see common sense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue May 21, 2013 4:56 pm

for not wanting to coach anymore, phil sure has been finding ways to get into the news lately
432J

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:27 am

432J wrote:for not wanting to coach anymore, phil sure has been finding ways to get into the news lately

The guy is trying to sell a book and make headline for his book. Makes sense to me.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby XXIV on Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
432J wrote:for not wanting to coach anymore, phil sure has been finding ways to get into the news lately

The guy is trying to sell a book and make headline for his book. Makes sense to me.

This. Also, he wants to find a front office job which I'm sure he'll get eventually hopefully with the Lakers.
XXIV

Re: REITERATING: Phil Jackson says he's done coaching (Pg. 7)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:17 pm

damn I hate when iterations have to be iterated for the iterated coach
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Chillbongo on Wed May 22, 2013 1:09 pm

ESPNLosAngeles.com wrote:
Phil Jackson laughed off Lakers GM

LOS ANGELES -- When Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak called Phil Jackson to tell him the Lakers were hiring Mike D'Antoni instead of him as coach, he responded the only way he knew how.

"I laughed," Jackson told ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" show Wednesday. "It was humorous to me when Mitch said that we think that Mike is a better coach for this group of guys."

Jackson had been prepared to tell Kupchak whether he was interested in returning to the Lakers' bench the next day, but the GM called Jackson late that Sunday night, Nov. 11, to tell him the Lakers had decided to go in another direction.

Jackson said he thinks the Lakers made the decision largely based on catering to Steve Nash, their 39-year-old point guard who was limited to 50 games this season as he battled a variety of injuries.

"I think it didn't happen because there was some concern, How are we going to move in the right direction for this ballclub?" Jackson said. "When Mitch gave me the call close to midnight on Sunday night right before I was going to give them an answer Monday morning and said, 'We've made a choice. We're going to hire Mike D'Antoni. We think he's the best coach for this group of guys,' My answer was, 'For Steve Nash, yes, I agree, but for Dwight Howard, I'm not so sure.'

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9301671/phil-jackson-told-los-angeles-lakers-gm-mike-dantoni-hire-laughed

We all laughed Phil.

We made a serious coaching change to cater to a guy who was out with a broken foot?
Chillbongo

Postby Center Court on Wed May 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
ESPNLosAngeles.com wrote:
Phil Jackson laughed off Lakers GM

LOS ANGELES -- When Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak called Phil Jackson to tell him the Lakers were hiring Mike D'Antoni instead of him as coach, he responded the only way he knew how.

"I laughed," Jackson told ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" show Wednesday. "It was humorous to me when Mitch said that we think that Mike is a better coach for this group of guys."

Jackson had been prepared to tell Kupchak whether he was interested in returning to the Lakers' bench the next day, but the GM called Jackson late that Sunday night, Nov. 11, to tell him the Lakers had decided to go in another direction.

Jackson said he thinks the Lakers made the decision largely based on catering to Steve Nash, their 39-year-old point guard who was limited to 50 games this season as he battled a variety of injuries.

"I think it didn't happen because there was some concern, How are we going to move in the right direction for this ballclub?" Jackson said. "When Mitch gave me the call close to midnight on Sunday night right before I was going to give them an answer Monday morning and said, 'We've made a choice. We're going to hire Mike D'Antoni. We think he's the best coach for this group of guys,' My answer was, 'For Steve Nash, yes, I agree, but for Dwight Howard, I'm not so sure.'

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9301671/phil-jackson-told-los-angeles-lakers-gm-mike-dantoni-hire-laughed

We all laughed Phil.

We made a serious coaching change to cater to a guy who was out with a broken foot?

I have zero doubt that he laughed at Mitch.

I personally find his comments very funny because he's 100% right. He knows it, Lakers know it, we know, and Dwight knows it. If our biggest taask this offseason is to turn Dwight into our franchise pillar going forward, then why are we stuck on keeping a coach who's system has ZERO emphasis on playing through Dwight. (And Pau for the matter).

I struggle to believe that Mitch and Jim really believe that MDA was the better choice. They probably felt like he goes Phil, taking his time and running us around, and their egos got the best of them and they chose Mike.

I don't care what we do to our coaching staff this summer (Nate, Gentry, Jesus, etc) nothing is going to make this right MDA thing right. Even if we went back to Phil on our knees, he'd probably just decline. Unless they blow him out of the water with some ownership and control, he's not coaching this team.
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Why the hell do you cater a coaching decision for a 40 year old PG?

Is New York going to fire Woodson, so that they can get a coach in there to maximize Kidd's talents?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Wed May 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Triangle is hard to learn. If you remember guys were so lost on the court, we didn't think it was a good idea to brinf in a xoaxh who'd make players learn yet another system. MDAs is Nash Centric but its easy to learn. Nobosy thought NAsh would be out till Christmas and he'd never be the same again

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion