REITERATING: Phil Jackson says he's done coaching (Pg. 7)

Re: Phil Jackson working on new book -Set for release 05/31/2013

Postby Center Court on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Forward Three wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:You know people make a big deal about how well we would be doing with Phil and how unprofessional it was of Jimmy to turn him down, but the way I am starting to see it now, the Lakers did Phil Jackson a FAVOR.

If he started coaching this team and we continued to suck and went out in the first round, Phil's legacy would be destroyed. He has ALWAYS won when we had the talent and everyone looks at this team and says we have the talent to win but not the coach. But I don't necessarily agree, I have conceded the team isn't put together well enough to win a championship regardless of the coach. But no one would look at it that way with Phil, people would rip him for failing with this squad.

I tend to agree. We might not be struggling this bad for a Playoffs berth but I don't think it'd be instant championship with Phil either. There are still the injuries and other completely valid 'excuses' for why this season has been a nightmare, but so much of it can be traced back to poor 'chemistry' on multiple levels. It's a surprise because on-paper nearly every piece of this team makes a ton of sense.

Kobe is Kobe, enough said, but he's also a great 'lead by example' 'bad cop' type of player who will play through injuries, never make excuses, always fight and always work.

Steve Nash is kind of the opposite, he's the 'good cop', always supportive, always understanding, always 'touching' players(forget who said it but some TV talking head was talking about how he high fives people more than anyone in the league) a bit like how Derek Fisher is/was, elder statesman that every team needs and also absolutely insane with his pinpoint and difficult passing that feeds into...

Dwight Howard, the de facto best center in the league, someone who is lauded for his ups and his athleticism, someone who was a pick and roll master in Orlando and is the epitome of 'just throw the ball vaguely towards the rim while I am around and you get 2 points'

Gasol, the de facto best 'passing' big man in the league, when you have a big that can pass to another big you're supposed to have instant offense no matter who you are.

I mean, wtf? It makes so much sense on paper, even into the depth chart. Jamison being that journeyman role player who has enough experience to know his own game and just a versatile enough skill set to fill out the roster(a bit like a Lamar Odom role)

Meeks is a spot-up marksman, at least, on paper he is...

World Peace is one of the strongest 3/4s in the league and even as he's lost a step defensively is still that hard-nosed tank/goon that every team needs.

I could go on about how our team's roster's 'potential' and 'scouting report' reads well, but it's just too depressing when we know that it's all kind of BS. Nearly every supposed attribute that each individual player has has wound up becoming a liability for them. Their strengths are being hamstrung and their weaknesses are being exploited. No one has been able to get in rhythm with their own game and it's even worse with other's.

Could Phil have brought these guys together in a more meaningful way? probably. Would the triangle suit this team better than Pringles' whatever-the-hell ball? probably. But mostly it would have just annoyed Phil and hurt his legacy.

then why give MDA a three year deal?

That's not the case at all. They wanted a change from the triangle and though Nash/Dwight would help bring showtime back to LA
Center Court

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 pm

I liked his quote of Kobe after the game on his tweeter account
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:54 am

http://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/ostler/article/Phil-Jackson-Zen-master-to-general-manager-4454897.php?t=3d122385d1
Sources close to Phil Jackson have been fueling rumors that Jackson wants to return to the NBA as a head coach or team executive.

I don't have any sources close to Phil Jackson, so I skipped that step and went directly to Phil Jackson.

Jackson, who earned 11 NBA championship rings as a coach and two as a player, was in Menlo Park on Saturday to receive a lifetime award from the Positive Coaching Alliance. The PCA people arranged for me to sit down with Jackson.

I asked him about the rumors, and the Old Zen Master threw me a curve - he gave me a straight answer. Who does that?

"I've had some talks with people," Jackson said, "and there are some interesting situations that are presenting themselves, but I really haven't made up my mind yet what I'm going to do. None of it involves coaching. ... There are three or four teams that have been interested."

It might be that there are only three or four teams not interested. Jackson could be a franchise game-changer.

Mark Cuban turned a loser into a winner in Dallas, Pat Riley worked his mystical magic on the Heat. Jackson could have that level of impact on a team if he were given full control, which is what he would demand - and get.

Jackson said he would be interested in a developing team "where you'd have the influence in (selecting the) coaching staff and the kind of culture that goes along with it. It goes all the way down to - not down to, but includes - trainers and the people who are doing the hands-on work with players, that have to be really embedded with how you put a team together. ... The support group is important; guys who get an opportunity to hear and talk and influence the players.

"It would be a real opportunity to implant the game, a culture that I believe in - that's the intriguing part."

Jackson said there is no timeline and that an offer "really has to grab" him.

"I've been fortunate in my life to have things just kind of come out of a backdrop and present themselves to me, challenges or issues, and that's what's got to happen here, that I think really makes a difference for me, then I'll say, 'This is the right one,' " he said.

Jackson and Pat Riley were bitter coaching rivals, as well as the leaders of a movement that brought elements of psychology and metaphysics to NBA coaching.

Riley carried that vibe to Miami, and now Jackson is talking about wrapping an entire NBA franchise in his unique holistic/spiritual/Zen philosophy.

The Warriors probably are not one of the teams kicking Jackson's tires. He's talking about building an organization from the ground up, and it's hard to imagine Warriors owner Joe Lacob giving Jackson freedom to toss out Mark Jackson, Bob Myers, Jerry West and company, and even take away some of Lacob's input. It's also unlikely that Jackson's dream front-office team is already in place in Oakland.

I asked Phil Jackson about Mark Jackson. I again expected a cliche answer about what a swell job Mark Jackson is doing. Instead:
premium_article_portrait.jpg

"I have some problems with guys going directly from the (television) booth to coaching, without any preparation," said Phil Jackson, who worked his way up from coaching in minor-league outposts like Albany and Puerto Rico. "It's not that easy. Doc Rivers did it, and other guys have done it, and I think Mark was prepared to do that, but it's still a shock, so to speak - the practice, preparation and the whole nine yards, when you've been sitting on the observing end of it. ...

"But I hold nothing against Mark for having the opportunity."

The Warriors' owners have reinvented the franchise, and they seem happy with the people and the results, so rule out the Warriors for Jackson. Which teams might covet Jackson (and vice versa)? Rusty Simmons, The Chronicle's beat writer on the Warriors, helped me compile a short list:

-- The Kings. If Chris Hansen buys 'em and moves the team to Seattle, Jackson might be driving the moving van.

-- The Nets. Jackson's New York connection is strong, and the Nets' owner thinks (and pays) big.

-- The Bobcats. Michael Jordan keeps insisting he's done with the personnel biz. Jordan and Jackson are acquainted.

-- The Cavaliers. Building a Kyrie Irving-led team to take on mighty Miami and evil Dr. Riley might stir Jackson's juices.

-- The Clippers. Jackson might like the idea of unseating the Lakers as kings of Los Angeles sports. However, Jackson and Clips owner Donald Sterling are probably a terrible mix, philosophically.

-- The Lakers. Ripe for major makeover under a proven and beloved man.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:35 am

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine
Been hearing rumbles all week Raptors were planning to make run at Phil Jackson to offer team presidency Phil craves. All makes sense now

Hiring of Tim Leiweke to run Raps & Leafs gives Toronto's basketball team major player with LA ties who can make pitch Phil will listen to

Tim Leiweke brought David Beckham to MLS. So he's last guy who's gonna listen to naysayers who inevitably say Phil will never come to Canada

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Phil wants role similar to Riley in MIA ;headed to TOR?(P.4)

Postby gill on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Not sure if he'll like the extreme winter weather up here with those tired old legs and balky knees... but... it's ur call Phil!
gill

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Doubtful...Toronto doesn't have a young superstar in Gay or Bargnani.

Honestly, Portland jumps out to me. But can Phil coach a traditional PG? Just had a thought...New Orleans with Davis? Philly loves his big men...

Other young teams with superstars...Cavs, Warriors, Rockets (but Morey has his hands all over that ish), Timberwolves?

He's not going to the T-Wolves, lets be real. Probably not with the Cavs either...he would have to fire Mike Brown. The Rockets seem to be in good hands and the Warriors are playing well but are always a toss up for longevity.

Still think Portland/NO is an option...much better than Toronto.
Chillbongo

Postby abeer3 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:36 pm

if sacramento moved to seattle, i could totally see phil going there. they need complete teardown, from top to bottom. but no way phil takes a job in a crappy location. i can't see him in cleveland or charlotte, for example.

i could see him liking toronto the place, but the organization isn't in a great position for a quick turnaround, as they're capped out, right?
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:41 pm

^ Yes.

I think it's a really, really long shot. I don't see Phil's draw there.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Phil's demands similar to Dwight Lol he wants to be in a big time city with a franchise that has championship aspirations with him being the No. 1 overall guy. Good luck with that. He may have to just chill in 2013/2014 until that can happen. Not many promising situations like that available right now....2014 loaded NBA draft, tons of free agents available.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Phil must see the possibility of going to the Lakers at zero, if he is looking at Toronto or Charlotte.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Oh yeah, perfect. That's what Phil should do, spend freezIng winters in Toronto, that'll be great for his surgically repaired joints. Ideal.
Alleyhoops

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Jeff Zillgitt: Tim Leiweke on phone call with Phil Jackson: "We didn’t have any of those conversations (about a job) nor was it appropriate."

Jeff Zillgitt: More Leiweke on Phil Jackson: "He was just calling me to tell me best of luck. … His fiancée (Jeanie Buss) is still a good friend of mine.

Oh how did Jimmy ever F this up so bad?

He's family, he'll make Dwight a much better player, he'll allow Kobe's exit of the game to go smoothly, efficiently and won't endanger shortening his career in the process, he has a good rapport with Mitch, he's Phil freakin Jackson!

Now get him an office, allow the basketball people to hire one of his disciples and coach the triangle and stay the F out of the way, Jimmy. :mad1:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Avenged24 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:07 pm

One of the greatest basketball minds of all-time and Jim is just letting him go -- AGAIN -- only because he has this weird obsession with his sister. They're both grown, let it go Jim!
Avenged24

Postby JSM on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Loudest "We Want Phil" chants I've heard since he was there for Shaq's jersey ceremony.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:42 pm

It needs to be the last thing Mitch and Jimmy hear when we get swept on Sunday.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 3m
That was the loudest "We Want Phil!" chant at Staples Center since Mike Brown was fired.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby bnr034 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:17 pm

more chants in Game 4 Please... Seriously :man2: :man2: :man2: why does MDA plays Goudelock, Morris and Duhon at the same time.... Coach of the month to Most retarded coach in the decade in less than a week. :bang: :bang:
bnr034

Postby Weezy on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:19 pm

I want to hear LOUD "we want Phil" chants Sunday, or at least something anti-'Antoni. The loudest chant tonight was "refs you suck", that was LOUD.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bnr034 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:08 pm

:man6: :man6: :man6: .... We need Louder chants on Sunday... its most likely our last game at staples this year :bang: :bang: :bang:

bnr034

Postby TheZen on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Does anyone have the chanting footage from last night?
TheZen

Postby 432J on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:02 pm

TheZen wrote:Does anyone have the chanting footage from last night?

i second this

since game 4 is more than likely our last game of the year, please get the we want phil chant started early and make it LOUD
432J

Postby bnr034 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:05 pm

432J wrote:
TheZen wrote:Does anyone have the chanting footage from last night?

i second this

since game 4 is more than likely our last game of the year, please get the we want phil chant started early and make it LOUD

you can see Mitch walking pass all depressed
bnr034

Postby lakerfan2 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:21 pm

i was at the game too. chanted that so loud.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby gill on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:27 pm

If only it was Jeannie on that chair alongside Mitch... :man6:
gill

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 am

By KEVIN DING
Email Article
EL SEGUNDO – The last time the Lakers were down, 3-0, in a playoff series wasn't so long ago – no matter the boldly stated preference for Phil Jackson over Mike D'Antoni in the Twitter account of Dwight Howard's girlfriend and the "We want Phil!" chants at Staples Center on Friday night.

It was during that 2011 postseason that Jackson tried something different than he ever had, which he reveals in his new book "Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success," to be released to the public May 21. It's no small thing, and it might explain a little what happened to Jackson and that Lakers team that failed to win a third consecutive championship.

Jackson was diagnosed with prostate cancer in March 2011. After doctors assured him the cancer could be controlled by drugs temporarily, Jackson waited until after the season to undergo surgery.

Jackson decided to divulge his situation to his players when he sensed the team was lacking something in the playoffs.

"Shocking," Pau Gasol said Saturday, remembering Jackson's disclosure to the team. "But then you also could understand certain moments of his demeanor, energy and involvement because of what he was going through health-wise. It explained certain things. It was a shock. A difficult moment for the team."

Gasol said Jackson talked with team captains Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher privately before telling the whole team in a video session – but Jackson was left second-guessing the revelation in which he became teary-eyed as he spoke … the Lakers strangely fading in that series vs. Dallas.

Gasol allowed that it was different for the team to see Jackson – "such a big figure, the physical and spiritual leader of the team" – as vulnerable.

"As much as I love Phil and I appreciate everything about him," Gasol said, "it was difficult to know.
"

There were other factors in Dallas sweeping the Lakers in that second round – fatigue from the previous title runs, a new defense installed at midseason, Bryant's weak right knee, what Jackson called a serious family issue for Gasol that he still declined to detail Saturday.

But with a lack of the usual unwavering Jackson leadership, there was no saving those Lakers, and we're seeing something similar with these Lakers on the brink of a sweep in Mike D'Antoni's first playoff series: There's no way these Lakers are overcoming all these injuries when the trust in the leadership is lacking, too.

Gasol, Bryant, Dwight Howard and Metta World Peace have all publicly questioned D'Antoni's coaching this season, and the Lakers simply must – one way or another – get themselves on the same page next season.

Consider what Christine Vest, Howard's girlfriend, dared to deliver via Twitter during the Game 3 rout: "Officially can't stand D'Antoni." Although not an officially certified Howard spokesperson, when someone asked her if she could coach the team, Vest replied: "noooo lol Phil can tho."

D'Antoni has relented and run Howard's preferred post-up system late in the season, and style of offense is a big deal to Howard as he makes his final decision on free agency soon.

As far as Gasol goes, D'Antoni's late-season trust in him has been rewarded with triple-doubles left and right even as Gasol, 32, deals with lingering pain from the torn plantar fascia in his right foot and so much constant pain in both knees that he needs to research ways to regenerate tendon tissue in them this offseason. Gasol also told me he tore a ligament in his right middle finger during Game 3 Friday night and will wear a splint Sunday.

Injuries have certainly been the Lakers' season story, Gasol said, but right behind that has been "the new coach getting to know the team, the team getting to know the coach, making it work ... and it's different, just different."

Even though the Lakers' ultimate goal is to get under the luxury-tax plateau in 2014-15 to avoid the new NBA repeater tax, Gasol knows by now that the Lakers don't necessarily believe he and his $19 million salary suit them that well for 2013-14.

With Bryant, World Peace and Steve Blake injured – and Devin Ebanks a free-agent dead man walking – Gasol will the only player on the court Sunday left from Jackson's final Lakers team two years ago. From Jackson's 2009 title team, the whole roster has been turned over except for Bryant and Gasol.

And after all his oft-stated loyalty to the Lakers, Gasol knows by now it's perhaps time for another from Jackson's flock to be freed.

"I want to be in a situation where I'm utilized properly and I can maximize my talents," Gasol said. "I would love for that place to continue to be here, but it can't be like this year – or it can't be because now there are a couple injured players that we're doing that. That's something that will be discussed in the offseason."

Well that kinda makes sense now...Phil looked so out of it during 2011

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion