Ric Bucher - Don't sell Kobe short on marketing power

Ric Bucher - Don't sell Kobe short on marketing power

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:39 am

Source - http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/bucher_ric/1571567.html

The knock on Kobe is that his affluent upbringing and clean-cut image -- private school, no legal scrapes, no tattoos -- has hurt him as an endorser.

"I've heard it said, 'Kobe doesn't have any street cred' and that's why my shoes won't sell," Kobe says. "I don't think that's the real perception on the street. I went to Rucker Park and it was all love. Basketball heads know basketball."
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:46 pm

Guys I know the answer to this one.

I was talking to my little cousin who is 14. We went to Footaction and Footlocker to buy some shoes for his birthday. So his sister bought him one, while I decided to buy him another. For one shoe he picked AI's, while for the other he wanted T-Mac's adidas.

I asked him a what-if question, if the Kobe shoes comes out will you get it over the shoes he just got, and he says no.

Then he gave me a classic explanation.

"I'll choose T-Mac and AI's shoes over any new Kobe's because it seems like EVERYBODY is a Kobe fan, especially my dad and mom who respects his clean attitude. Kobe this, kobe that is all I hear from home and school, as everyone, loves him. I wanted to stand out by having shoes of an underdogs."

What I got of it is getting is that from his standpoint getting an AI or a T-Mac is rebelling against the norm. He is 14 and we all know how we acted at that age. Rebelling is the norm. Kobe's clean image gives the idea that he IS MORE CORPORATE THAN STREET.

YOU BUY SHOES BECAUSE YOU THINK IT IS COOL TO WEAR TO SHOW OFF IN THE STREET.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:55 am

That will slowly wear off in the next few years as Kobe takes his game to a level that most people aren't aware he can achieve...just like MJ, he will prove that a clean cut image and a responsible persona won't hinder sales if everyone thinks he is a cut above the rest...which he will prove to be the case in the next 5 years...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:51 pm

Whoa... In mah HS years, it was different. People always had one some T-Wac's, AI's, MJ's, and all the rest. Then there was that few who had the Kobe kicks, like maybe 10 people I'd see around campus. But only like 4 outta those 10 were tru fans like we are... The rest just got them, cuz they saw u rockin em, so they thought they's be "in" if they had em, when in reality we sported them cuz of tha player, not just we wanted people to think they were the "in" thing. But I also had pairs of AI kicks too, so I'm not hatin on that. Around mah town, I dont expect to see the new Kobe's cuz people are all into their AI, MJ's and all them. It's just what I been seein for a while now.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:12 pm

I know, but what I am saying is that once the mainstream accepts that Kobe could and probably will break all of Jordan's records and that he will wind up as the #1 ranked all time basketball player, they will all want to wear his shoes. Right now he is still considered a #2 option and a somewhat unproven 24 year old...that will change...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:14 pm

I feel ya.. When Kobe becomes the best player, he'll have his own brand prolly behind Nike, like Jordan... And he'll finish up in the record books with all the best history has to offer.
LakersGyrl2003

Return to Lakers Discussion