Robert Sacre Discussion: Snoop, DMX, Tyson on his side (13)

Re: Robert Sacre Discussion: last man standing

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 pm

I don't know what you're seeing or not seeing here KB24.

This guy is the classic 7 footer 3rd string guy. He works his tail off and he tries hard. The Bynum thing was a weird question... Bynum is, was, and will be better
But Sacre is good for depth on any NBA team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Well to be fair, Bynum was a lottery pick & Sacre was almost un-drafted. The question I posed wasn't one of comparison but to gauge opinions on if there is potential for improvement with Sacre. It actually wasn't that weird.

Sacre had college to develop his game and potentially has more of a center skill set than Bynum did in his first year. Bynum had a couple years of high school (not even 4), but was physically imposing, way more so than Sacre, had great hands, and decent footwork for a big.

So yeah, Bynum being the manchild that he was had advantages over Sacre in his first year. Are those same advantages the difference between Sacre & Bynum in future potential? If someone worked with Sacre, could he develop his game, improve and possibly be a solid backup center one day?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Still kind weird :man9:

Is there room for improvement? Sure. There is always room for improvement. But not much :man10:

You're not going to make him jump much higher or move much quicker. You might be able to teach a quicker jump shot. You might be able to make him a little stronger to box out better... You might be able to teach some better post moves, but he's so slow I really doubt it.

I'd say, and I've been pretty consistent with this prediction, that he can be a career 3rd stringer a la Prizbylla or the Hollins brothers. Or a Dan Gaduric type of guy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Lol I swear I'm not comparing them I'm not :spam:

So athleticism is probably hindering him the most. If he was more athletic, he could be a bigger beast on the boards and make quick post moves to the basket.

Prizbylla wasn't bad. It'd be cool if he turned into that kind of player. Lakeshow tends to let go of young prospects, if this kid has room for growth, we should hang on to him. He is kind of a clown though, don't know if he has that work ethic.
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:00 pm

I think Sacre belongs in the NBA, I have seen plenty of worse 3rd string centers, and this is coming from a guy that saw nothing of value in him at the beginning of preseason. He knows basic things that other guys who are in the league just because they are tall lack, like how to set a screen, how to cut to the basket off of it and have his hands ready to the ball. He also has a decent back to the basket game, knows how to use his size, actually has a decent jump shot, and from what I have seen from time to time, decent man defense using that size. He's tall, but he's not skinny, he's not nearly as slow as I thought, and he knows how to put himself in the right positions to be passed the ball for easy hoops. We saw this all preseason with him and Nash, he knows the game. He's not a star, never will be, but I think he definitely belongs and wouldn't mind him being our 3rd string cheap center for years to come.

Off the court I saw an older Backstage Lakers on the other day and he was just a cool dude, hard working, funny, humble, taking pictures and signing things for fans from his car leaving practice, living in a humble apartment with his family. I know there are a million guys with the same story playing ball for a living, on the fringe of the NBA, in the D-League, overseas, but it still makes me root for the guy to stick in the league.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:59 pm

^

He's not slow at all. He just can't jump for some reason. But at least he's strong, and that's something. No one is going to call him soft.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 pm

He played a really solid 10 minutes. He had a couple really nice plays in a row for us that kept us running in the 2nd.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby scissors on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 am

We need this guy to step it up not just one notch but many notches.
scissors

Postby TIME on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 am

I like him. He will never be close to a star, but he can be a solid bench player. He is intelligent, has a great team first attitude, he works hard, and is willing to accept coaching. He seems durable.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:18 pm

By the way his quote last night on his airball:

I got really excited.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:19 pm

therealdeal wrote:By the way his quote last night on his airball:

I got really excited.

:man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby XXIV on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:33 pm

With Pau out and until we get another serviceable big he's going to get some minutes. Hopefully he can play a Turiaf type of a role where he brings his energy off the bench.
XXIV

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:11 pm

no offense to sacre, he seems like a good guy and probably works hard but as of now, other than some size, he really brings nothing.
Pig Miller

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:16 am

his can at least be a body but hes just not athletic enough to do much for us with big minutes. his offensive skill set is next to none. his d is decent but nothing close to good. his shot release is too slow and any shot he makes is mostly out of luck it seems. we need someone who at least can get off the ground for rebounding and blocking/altering shots. im glad hes had some starting experience and game experience under his belt. he doesnt look terrible out there but hes not gunna be a long term fix...we need to sign a kenyon martin type player to bring what jordan hill would. just defense rebounding and get points by putbacks and easy layups. high energy. sacre isnt that.

man i miss jordan hill.
Ariza3

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 am

He should get consistent 2nd string minutes with Dwight and Pau out. I suppose Jamison is our starting center now.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby KB24 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:53 am

Pig Miller wrote:no offense to sacre, he seems like a good guy and probably works hard but as of now, other than some size, he really brings nothing.

thats true. He really is just there because he has 6 fouls to give. Whenever he plays more than like 8 minutes, it will probably be an ugly experience for the Lakers and their fans.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:10 am

Decent 1 on 1 post D and has the ability to free himself up for easy baskets at the rim but has bad hands to finish ... can't grab a rebound in traffic and is a moving screen call waiting to happen ...

can't seem to have proper body balance too ... he had an easy rebound against BK but jumped awkardly and tip the ball instead of grabbing it :man3:
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 am

Why are you guys picking on Rob Sacre of all people? :man10:

Yes, we all agree he sucks, but that's what your 3rd string 7 foot center is supposed to be. A body. Something to throw out there for a few minutes a night when a guy is hurt or there's foul trouble. He's nothing special, he's nothing amazing, but he's a good kid and he's a hard worker.

When he plays I enjoy it because I'm seeing a dude work his *** off for our team. I don't expect him to have a double-double or anything...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 am

wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 am

That was funny, as soon as they showed him JVG said something like "Robert Sacre's over there on the bench losing his mind", cracked me up.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:50 am

JVG loved it lol

he looks like he's auditioning for the walking dead
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 am

:man10: That was awesome
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:24 am

I don't know how anybody could NOT love Robert Sacre.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 am

Yeah, Sacre is a great guy.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Wrath12X on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:31 pm

:man10: Sacre is cool
Wrath12X

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion