Robert Sacre Discussion: Snoop, DMX, Tyson on his side (13)

Re: Lakers Sign Robert Sacre

Postby The Rock on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:43 am

[url]espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/33468/sacre-enjoying-himself-not-taking-anything-for-granted[/url]

Robert Sacre was already on to the part where he needed to get his mind right to deal with all the sympathy texts. Missouri point guard Marcus Denmon had been chosen by the San Antonio Spurs, 59th overall in the 2012 NBA draft and the Los Angeles Lakers, a team he'd never even worked out for, had the last pick.

Sacre's one-year-old son Quinton was tired and ready for bed. His family had gathered at his grandparents' house in Villeplatte, Louisiana started getting concerned.

That's probably it, Sacre thought.

"But I figured I'd been watching for the last four and a half hours, might as well finish it out," Sacre said. "Mentally, I was already preparing for all the sympathy texts like, 'Don't worry, everything is going to be alright' and trying to get my head right."

And then he saw it. Or heard it. Who remembers the details now?

The Lakers took him with the 60th and last pick in the NBA draft.

In some snarky corners of the sports world, they call that distinction Mr. Irrelevant. But so far this preseason, Sacre has been anything but.

The 23-year-old rookie center from Gonzaga has started all three of the Lakers' preseason games in place of the injured Dwight Howard. Saturday night in the Lakers' 99-86 loss to the Utah Jazz he was far more than a place-holder, finishing with nine points, 10 rebounds and three blocks in 27 minutes.

"It's still pretty surreal," Sacre said. "I'm not even going to lie. All the stars are aligning for some reason.

"I'm starting. And when I look around, there's Hall of Famers on either side of me."

This won't last of course. Howard should be back in the next few weeks. So will Jordan Hill. And even if Howard takes a while to round into shape, Lakers coach Mike Brown has indicated he'd start Pau Gasol at center in a regular season game, not Sacre.

But for a guy who began his professional career bracing for the worst, things have taken a pretty nice turn.

"I'm not going to hold my breath because anything can happen," Sacre said, when asked if he thought he would make the Lakers' roster. "But I know I can play with these guys now. I think that's the biggest thing I've been able to show."

This would all be another nice training camp story if there wasn't a very compelling reason for the Lakers to keep Sacre and several other young players this season.

With starters Kobe Bryant ($27.8 million), Howard ($19.5 million), Gasol ($19 million), Steve Nash ($8.9 million) and Metta World Peace ($7.2 million) taking up $82.4 million of the Lakers already-bloated $99.2 million guaranteed payroll, you have to think the organization will look to cut costs where it can. And in the NBA, younger is almost always cheaper.

Sacre would make just $473,604 if he makes the team and plays a full season. Second-year point guard Darius Morris, whom Brown said has been impressive in camp thus far and played almost 19 minutes in Saturday's loss, will make $962,195. Second-year guard Andrew Goudelock would make $762,195 if he makes the team and plays a full season.

Is Sacre the best they could do for front court depth? Not when veterans like Craig Smith and Kenyon Martin are still available. But when we're talking about a player who will probably play only five-10 minutes a game in a regular season, how much does that difference really matter?

It's why ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Friday that the Lakers are listening to offers for backup point guards Chris Duhon and Steve Blake. Both are quality backups. But if Morris can be counted on, do they really want to pay them a combined $7.5 million this year?

And even if it does matter some, there's something to be said for finding good young players who can be molded within the organization on rookie-scale contracts for a few years.

"I told Kobe that he's really going to like him," Lakers forward Metta World Peace said of Sacre. "I played with him this summer and it was like, 'Who is this kid?'

"He can roll, he can shoot, he can open the floor up by hitting those little shots that are difficult to hit. He's really good at those. He has really good touch."

Said Bryant: "He's a very smart player, so he's able to read the defense, and read how they're playing Steve, how they're reading me. He's able to get himself in positions to be successful. He made plays for others as well making plays for himself. Rebounding. He's doing a fantastic job. I'm pleasantly surprised in what we have in him."

Brown wasn't ready to say Sacre would make the team, but it's hard to overlook how solid he has been in a difficult role thus far.

"I thought Sacre was solid," Brown said. "He didn't try to do anything outside of the norm. He didn't try to do too much. He just used his big body. He made some rookie mistakes. But he's earned his minutes by keeping it simple and trying to fit in."

Sacre credited Gonzaga coach Mark Few for helping him learn to stay within himself and former Gonzaga star Ronny Turiaf for giving him a taste of the NBA over the years.

Not bad for a guy whose career began as Mr. Irrelavant.

"I'm the 60th pick and I'm on a great team. How can you really complain?" Sacre said. "I could be in a lot worse places. I'm playing in the NBA, I'm the last pick, I'm playing with great guys I can always learn from. It's a dream come true."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:26 am

Playing well within himself... I'm impressed for a 60th pick , I thought he would be a total scrub
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 am

He's better than I thought he'd be. I thought he'd be solid, but rather dumb. Turns out he's a smart dude too.

If he doesn't make the team I'll be very surprised.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kingsama on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 am

therealdeal wrote:He's better than I thought he'd be. I thought he'd be solid, but rather dumb. Turns out he's a smart dude too.

I thought the opposite, smart player that wouldn't be a good enough athlete to hang. I too was surprised. I too would be surprised if he doesn't make the squad as he has shown an upside and is really cheap.
Kingsama

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:34 am

I don't know why, but whenever I think Sacre and see him play, I think Marcin Gortat. Maybe he has the basic framework of the skill set Marcin has, but that's who I think of when I watch Sacre.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:34 am

Kingsama wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He's better than I thought he'd be. I thought he'd be solid, but rather dumb. Turns out he's a smart dude too.

I thought the opposite, smart player that wouldn't be a good enough athlete to hang. I too was surprised. I too would be surprised if he doesn't make the squad as he has shown an upside and is really cheap.

Interesting. Maybe it's because I'm so used to guys like Dampier and Curry who are just large bodies and not particularly talented. I was expecting one of those players instead of someone who understands things a little bit more.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 am

Doc Brown wrote:I don't know why, but whenever I think Sacre and see him play, I think Marcin Gortat. Maybe he has the basic framework of the skill set Marcin has, but that's who I think of when I watch Sacre.

That's fair. Gortat is WAY more athletic, but their mentalities and actual on court mannerisms are pretty similar.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sean on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:52 am

i'd like to see him work with Kareem if he gets picked up.
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:22 am

That's a really feel good read above, especially when Sacre says how he was preparing his mind already after that 59th pick had been made, to deal with all the well wishing, consoling comments to come from people who cared about him. Not a chance in the world (literally) with today's scouting, that he was going to get picked and especially with the Lakers. Then boom and he's here and doing well in a temporary starting position next to hall of famers.

Just a feel good vibe there...... UNTIL you read Brown's words about Morris and then we watch how he really is on the court in his 2nd year. :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:13 am

this dude is super solid, has a good skill set to build on, and the team really seems to like him (even seen dwight mentoring him on the sidelines). some of his success is the steve nash effect, but the guy also has talent. i hope he makes the team.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:30 am

I said it in gameday, but I'll say it again here. Canyou imagine how cool this is for Robert Sacre, even if it is just pre-season? Dude was the 60th pick in the draft and he's starting next to Nash, Kobe, MWP, and Pau, playing with not just Hall-of-Famers, but some absolute all-time greats.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:32 am

This sounds wrong but the Dwight injury is probably the best thing to happen for Sacre's career. If Dwight were playing in these early preseason games Sacre would likely be in with the second unit with Morris and he'd probably look horrible.
XXIV

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:35 am

He's making the roster. He's been a very good surprise. Both him and CDR...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby diehard on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm looking at him like a Brad Miller type. Miller had a very solid NBA career and wasn't drafted at all.
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall."

Ron Artest: Is it freaky if your girl has a barbed wired thong and comes in the room with plastic sporks? Twitter
diehard

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Not sure myself so asking those more astute... let's say best case scenario we keep him and from what he has shown so far as his base skills and athleticism, he keeps getting better and stronger for a couple of years. What is his "ceiling" (all the "ceiling" arm chair scouts here :) ....compared to where our last big guy from Gonzaga, Turiaf....topped out?
LTLakerFan

Postby revgen on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:03 pm

^Sacre went to Gonzaga for 4 years. He is what he is. A bread and butter big man. Nothing wrong with that at all, but just don't expect anything more.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:11 pm

So as per my question, not ultimately as good as where Ronny peaked, or maybe he can be better? Wasn't Ronny a 3 or 4 year guy?
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:23 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Not sure myself so asking those more astute... let's say best case scenario we keep him and from what he has shown so far as his base skills and athleticism, he keeps getting better and stronger for a couple of years. What is his "ceiling" (all the "ceiling" arm chair scouts here :) ....compared to where our last big guy from Gonzaga, Turiaf....topped out?

Eeeeh... He'll be better than Ronny because he's bigger and a little smarter. His ceiling is something like Dan Gadzuric or Joel Pryzbilla if he gets a lot of playing time for some reason, but you should think more like DJ Mbenga. He's a big guy that works hard and gets his hands on a lot of balls. But he's not very skilled, isn't very athletic, and because of those things he's very prone to foul.

He's fairly smart and he's a coachable guy. He's got career 3rd stringer written all over him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:So as per my question, not ultimately as good as where Ronny peaked, or maybe he can be better? Wasn't Ronny a 3 or 4 year guy?

He and Ronny are different. Ronny was an athletic 4. Sacre's a taller less athletic 5. Sacre's not going to run the floor like Ronny or slam the ball like him.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 pm

At best he can be a 2nd string center to provide some energy and play defense. His hook is alright, but he doesn't have many offensive weapons. And unlike Dwight, he's slow and not very athletic, meaning he can't just overpower guys and dunk the ball. But he works hard and I'm glad we have him on our team. If something goes wrong with Hill's back (let's hope not!), he will get minutes and will probably do just fine. 7-footers with that kind of work ethics and strength don't exactly grow on trees.

Too bad we don't have a young guard that looks as good as Sacre right now.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 pm

karacha wrote:Too bad we don't have a young guard that looks as good as Sacre right now.

Shows what you know (I keed :beer: )....according to Potato Head, Morris is playing great. Errr.....in practice that is. WTF.....where does it go between there and game time? Again, not watching actual game footage as I have NO effing TW coverage :bang: instead reading the comments on game day this guy could not be any worse.
LTLakerFan

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:54 pm

I noticed that Sacre was getting WAY WORSE calls from the ref in the second half of the Utah game yesterday. He was getting a little flustered, especially after that FLAGRANT offensive foul that wasn't called. I told everyone that Sacre was going to be a pleasant surprise in preseason, and most of you said he wasn't even NBA caliber,he is garbage and has no talent, etc... I hate...no wait, LOVE to say I told you so :man9: :man10:

Sacre is a cheap and effective alternative to Craig Davis or Kenyon Martin. Both of those guys are more talented, but they also cost more money, and are wasted sitting on the bench all game. Now if we can just develop DJO, Goudelock and Morris and get rid of Blake/Duhon. Oh well, baby steps I guess... :man5: :disagree: :bang:
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:16 pm

That offensive foul that wasn't called wasn't flagrant. That's got to be a joke.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Finwë on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Weezy wrote:I said it in gameday, but I'll say it again here. Canyou imagine how cool this is for Robert Sacre, even if it is just pre-season? Dude was the 60th pick in the draft and he's starting next to Nash, Kobe, MWP, and Pau, playing with not just Hall-of-Famers, but some absolute all-time greats.

Extremely cool. I'd do anything to get to play basketball with those guys almost every day. I wouldn't mind not getting minutes in games, as long as I'm practicing along I'd be happy as hell.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Finwë wrote:
Weezy wrote:I said it in gameday, but I'll say it again here. Canyou imagine how cool this is for Robert Sacre, even if it is just pre-season? Dude was the 60th pick in the draft and he's starting next to Nash, Kobe, MWP, and Pau, playing with not just Hall-of-Famers, but some absolute all-time greats.

Extremely cool. I'd do anything to get to play basketball with those guys almost every day. I wouldn't mind not getting minutes in games, as long as I'm practicing along I'd be happy as hell.

If you're white, have a shaved head, scruffy beard, look kind of like Mac Miller at 40 and routinely get hurt at the most inconvenient times, you will be playing 20 minutes a night based on that alone.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion