Robert Sacre Discussion: Snoop, DMX, Tyson on his side (13)

Re: Lakers Sign Robert Sacre

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 am

I called him garbage before, but he is definitely earning his spot on the team, I love his confidence and his toughness. He is a little slow and predictable on his moves but he is a rookie after all. Did a nice little post fake and jump hook on Deandre, that was very nice. Hopefully he can continue to work hard.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:08 am

Melissa Rohlin of the LA Times wrote:

Robert Sacre was so dejected during the NBA draft, he shot his agent a text.

"China sounds nice,'" Sacre wrote.

As time went by and his name still wasn't called, the 7-foot center from Gonzaga stopped paying attention to the television and started focusing on how he'd respond to the slew of condolences he surely was about to receive from friends and family.

Then the last pick was named. It was Sacre. The Lakers had selected him 60th overall with the final pick of the second round.

"That was the longest day of my life," Sacre said.

Sacre recounted that moment while sitting by his locker after the Lakers' 97-91 exhibition loss to the Clippers. He looked like a boxer with both of his eyes bruised and his nose cut, war wounds that he picked up from a hard foul at a recent practice.

When asked to evaluate his chances of making the team, Sacre perked up.

"I feel confident, no question," Sacre said. "I just have to keep focusing on what I need to do."

Sacre has taken advantage of extended minutes while Dwight Howard recovers from back surgery. He started Wednesday, scoring 13 points on six-for-nine shooting and grabbing seven rebounds in 34 minutes. But he also committed a quarter of the team's 20 turnovers.

"He's learning, he's growing," said Lakers Coach Mike Brown. "He did some good things and he didn't do some good things."

At times, Sacre was a force in the middle, effectively bodying up defenders. But at other times, he seemed a bit lost, such as when he committed two turnovers at the top of the fourth quarter in a span of under 20 seconds.

"I just have to limit my mistakes and keep getting better and learning from them," Sacre said.

Sacre said that his role with the team is to be a bruiser.

He was involved in a bit of a tussle with Ryan Hollins at the top of the fourth quarter when Hollins practically bear-hugged Sacre in an attempt to get the ball and there was no call on the play. Sacre responded by bodying up to Hollins, an act which landed him a technical.

"I'm a passionate guy and he was wrapping his arms around me so I didn't know what to do," Sacre said.

Overall, however, Sacre's play has impressed Brown.

"He's got a big body, he's not afraid, he's going to play hard, he's pretty smart for a rookie," Brown said.

The Lakers have only one exhibition game left and Sacre hopes he's done enough in the team's last seven exhibitions to earn himself a spot on the roster.

Even though Sacre is once again playing the waiting game, this time around he's not readying himself for bad news.

Instead he's preparing to fly his 1-year-old son from Spokane, Wash., to Los Angeles.

"As soon as they say the cuts or whatnot, he's coming down here," Sacre said.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:18 am

Shocked would be a good term if he doesn't make this team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:21 am

He's got to make the team, after what he's shown in preseason if he were cut another team would pick him up for sure.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:22 am

Chaz the scout did his job here with Sacre.

In all seriousness, we got something here in Sacre.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:25 am

He can cut back on the T.O's by not picking up so many moving screen violations.
D.B. Cooper

Postby gcclaker on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am

therealdeal wrote:Shocked would be a good term if he doesn't make this team.

From what I have seen, Sacre is NOT a liability out there for the most part. I'd like to see him make the cut but you never know with Brown and management.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 am

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Shocked would be a good term if he doesn't make this team.

From what I have seen, Sacre is NOT a liability out there for the most part. I'd like to see him make the cut but you never know with Brown and management.

Oh I have no doubt he's making the team. He's just too valuable at his price for what he provides.

Think of it this way: if Howard goes down for any reason, we've now got a big body to fill in. Hill isn't the guy that can do that.

I don't put cutting CDR on management, it was probably a financial decision based on decisions that were made previously... unfortunate, but it happens. I'd love if they continued biting bullets, but we can't ask them to do that forever, you know?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 am

From what I saw last night for the first time on TV....Sacre is more than serviceable. Alot more. Once again I was wrong about a Laker big getting drafted. Very nice job drafting him with the last pick of the draft. :jam2: :bow:
borri

Postby Dfishman on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm

borri wrote:From what I saw last night for the first time on TV....Sacre is more than serviceable. Alot more. Once again I was wrong about a Laker big getting drafted. Very nice job drafting him with the last pick of the draft. :jam2: :bow:

I think "serviceable" is the most we can say right now. We'll have a much better read on him when he's playing better teams in games that actually matter. Don't forget, Tierre Brown had a great pre-season.
Dfishman

Re: Robert Sacre Discussion: makes 15 man roster

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:44 am

I'm really happy for this guy. He has more than simply just size. He has heart. He works hard. He has a chip on his shoulder and I believe he can help this team with a lot of intangibles, as well as potentially some decent play on the court. I didn't want to make this guy into a hero just because he was the 60th pick. I waited. But I've been really, really impressed and I'm very glad he made the team.

Well done #50 Robert Sacre

:jam2:
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby lakersStan24 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:47 am

Nice Work Sacre
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:50 am

I knew he'd make it. He might be good enough do develop into a second string center one day.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:49 am

karacha wrote:I knew he'd make it. He might be good enough do develop into a second string center one day.

He just might. His game needs to continue to adjust to NBA speed which means he might want to shed a couple pounds, but he definitely has what it takes to stick in the NBA. I thought he would.

He's definitely got career 3rd stringer written all over him if he stays on his current path. There's always room for a 7 footer who works hard in this league. Eric Dampier had a career for goodness sake.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:09 am

therealdeal wrote:There's always room for a 7 footer who works hard in this league. Eric Dampier had a career for goodness sake.

And a pretty decent career actually.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 am

karacha wrote:
therealdeal wrote:There's always room for a 7 footer who works hard in this league. Eric Dampier had a career for goodness sake.

And a pretty decent career actually.

Exactly. I don't expect him to be Dampier. Probably more like Mikki Moore's bigger, stronger, more awesome cousin. But he's definitely got a place here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nolQQkpass on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 am

sounds like a poor mans rasheed wallace
nolQQkpass

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 am

nolQQkpass wrote:sounds like a poor mans rasheed wallace

Sorry.....but :man10: :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 am

nolQQkpass wrote:sounds like a poor mans rasheed wallace

maybe a vagrant homeless man's rasheed wallace.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 am

^^^ Yeah I agree. Wonder how bad bleep he looks with head shaved reportedly (think I read somewhere)
LTLakerFan

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:21 am

Look at the bench during every play, hes up cheering. Good too see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5XFXqq ... re=related

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:22 am

I was just going to say that. This guy is a hell of a teammate. He may be the best player we could have hoped for from the 60th pick. Solid guy, solid body, great teammate. What more do you want from the 14th man?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am

^I've noticed that too. Sacre is obviously grateful for the chance. I'd like to see him get spot minutes so he can refine his game and adjust to the pro style. Actually, I wouldn't mind him laying the lumber on someone.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:58 am

If you watch Chook's highlights and just watch him on the bench, the guy is up after EVERY basket and he's cheering like there's no tomorrow.

Great to see. Yeah, it'd be nice if he got some minutes. In an ideal world we'd be blowing teams out and he'd see the last 4-5 minutes or so and I think that'd be perfect for him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby easyguy on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 am

therealdeal wrote:If you watch Chook's highlights and just watch him on the bench, the guy is up after EVERY basket and he's cheering like there's no tomorrow.

Great to see. Yeah, it'd be nice if he got some minutes. In an ideal world we'd be blowing teams out and he'd see the last 4-5 minutes or so and I think that'd be perfect for him.

That usually happened when Phil was coaching, ever since Brown got here, not so much.
easyguy

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion