Robert Sacre Discussion: Snoop, DMX, Tyson on his side (13)

Re: Robert Sacre Discussion: Snoop, DMX, Tyson on his side (13)

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 am

He really handle Z-Bo really well. Made him take tough shots, jumpers. Boxed him out off second chance points, where Z-Bo excels.

Really nice job. He deserves a raise.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:27 am

MEMPHIS, Tenn. >> The soft-spoken Robert Sacre who always preaches teamwork and deflects praise showed his playfully cocky side.

The Lakers' second-year center had just played a large part in securing the team's 96-92 victory Tuesday over the Memphis Grizzlies at FedEx Forum by holding bruising forward Zach Randolph to 18 points on 7-for-22 shooting. Sacre soon relished the moments he matched up with Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill in practice where he apparently dominates.

"When Pau gets mad, he starts grunting and groaning and then puts Jordan Hill under the basket," Sacre said. "Me? Nah, not me. I make him shoot jumpers all day."

Hill interjected and playfully argued the accuracy of Sacre's story.

"No one can keep me off the offensive boards," said Hill, though he was limited with only two points on two field goal attempts and two rebounds in eight minutes because of four fouls. "You think Robert can keep me off the offensive boards? If you believe that ... "

Hill laughed playfully in disbelief. But then again, few likely would have believed Sacre could limit Randolph, whom Sacre likened to UFC fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson for his bruising style.

"He's so physical," said Sacre, who has climbed the depth chart this season after the Lakers selected him 60th overeall in the 2012 NBA Draft. "I try to match that physicaltiy and keep him from trying to be aggressive. I wanted to make sure he got the ball as far aaway from the basket so he had to make moves."

The approach worked.

"He played fantastic," Lakers guard Kobe Bryant said of Sacre. "He comes in and plays hard and does everything we ask him to do and more."

Including shutting down Gasol and Hill in practice? That remains up for debate.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2013121 ... for-lakers
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Weezy on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:21 pm

He's playing very well, his defense and effort are exactly what you want in a backup center, his offensive skill is just a bonus. He's a strong dude, and talented 7 footers aren't just everywhere to be had, so it looks pretty smart now that he was signed for multiple seasons. I hope he keeps it and can stay relatively consistent, he's an easy guy to root for.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Weezy wrote:He's playing very well, his defense and effort are exactly what you want in a backup center, his offensive skill is just a bonus. He's a strong dude, and talented 7 footers aren't just everywhere to be had, so it looks pretty smart now that he was signed for multiple seasons. I hope he keeps it and can stay relatively consistent, he's an easy guy to root for.

wait... are you saying the Ownership some credit :man4: (not specifically talking ish to you Weez but the FO doesn't get a lot of love these days. lol)

On a serious note, I agree the guy is easy to root for and has some talent.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 pm

:man10: I give ownership credit all the time, like bringing in Young, X, Wes, Kaman on minimum deals (well Kaman was more if I remember right, but still), those moves were great even before we knew how any of then would perform on the court for us. At the time that Sacre got multiple years I didn't really get it, but I guess you want to lock up skilled, cheap 7 footers while you can in case they over perform at ALL and get overpaid elsewhere.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Maximum effort with no sense of entitlement...can't ask for more. Cats like Sacre are easy to root for. Funny stories about Hill and Gasol in practice. Sacre does the dirty work that Gasol or Kaman can't physically do with consistency any more.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 pm

he got some quick feet and nice reaction defense. I like.
Kit

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:35 am

I can't sleep so here's some videos.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Toklat on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Thinking about which Laker will be the biggest surprise (in a good way) this season. I can't help but think Robert is going to be a perfect fit for what Byron is going to want to get done. A player that understand his role and willing to put the work in. Byron is going to love this guy. The other big surprise is going to be Clarkson, much more than the scrub minutes most think he will get. Good coaches like Byron love to have these kind of players.
Toklat

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:16 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:children parents I understand..snoop maybe, dmx sure but Tyson? why not the greatest? Elbow Mike was overrated

DMX was a pretty dope MC from '98-'01. Mike Tyson overrated? :man3:
Kobe8Fan

Postby trodgers on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:children parents I understand..snoop maybe, dmx sure but Tyson? why not the greatest? Elbow Mike was overrated

DMX was a pretty dope MC from '98-'01. Mike Tyson overrated? :man3:

Mike Tyson was overrated? Does not compute.

Sure, he clocked some scrawny dudes:

But he tooled on some big dudes:

He had awesome defense and elusiveness when he was younger

He was stone cold in the ring

Ya heard?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Barnstable on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Tyson was not overrated
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby laakers on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm assuming right now Jordan Hill is our starting Center. Any chance Sacre overtakes him?
laakers

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:50 pm

laakers wrote:I'm assuming right now Jordan Hill is our starting Center. Any chance Sacre overtakes him?

if anyone is going to take his spot at starting Center its Ed Davis.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:08 am

Barnstable wrote:Tyson was not overrated

like sacre, you were impressed with sacrificial also rans in those gifs fed to him while he was starting. Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Marciano, Louis, maybe Evander and Lewis I will permanently inked to my torso before elbow mike. But what do I know, people tattoo James franco's face on their bodies :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LooN3y on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:22 pm

wait wait, hold up, we talkin about sacre? freal sacre? not the game, but SACRE?

he hustles, plays hard, is occasionally ok on offense, but this guy is our DJ (Mbenga). stay a 3rd stringer, or stay very far away from our laker team.
LooN3y

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 pm

^^^ :man10: Well duh, yeah, it is his own Robert Sacre discussion thread after all. :what:

unless of course your comment was more of a humorous reference to the epic and classic Iverson "Practice" rant? :bow: :man10: My god this guy after who he was, is now broke. :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Sacre, just try not to get dunked on.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby trodgers on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:24 am

Mr. Irrelevant looked awful as a rookie, and I didn't think there was too much hope for him. But in year 2, he played over 1000 minutes, shot 48%, and averaged 12/8 per 36 minutes. He was significantly improved. He's a serviceable backup now.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:50 am

As previously mentioned, he is part of a great 1 / 2 punch in the showers as well. :man1: With Boozer. :man12: Admiring each other's body art. :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby BadCoaching on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:37 am

Barnstable wrote:Tyson was not overrated

Def not, he dominated for over a decade and went something like 45 - 1..
BadCoaching

Postby Kingsama on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:22 am

trodgers wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:Mike Tyson was overrated? hmmmm.

Agreed. Young Tyson would have destroyed just about anyone. Not just beaten - destroyed. He was fast and strong like no one else and he actually had excellent defense.

Honestly I think that Big George Foreman would have been too much for MIke. He had a uncrackable chin, was huge, and threw punches that landed like sledge hammers. Don't get me wrong I would have love to see Ali v Tyson and think that may be a toss up, but watching what Young George could do was nightmarish at times. Heck from what I have read Mike and Crew ducked Old George. George called Tyson out a number of times, even of the Letterman show and Tyson wanted no part of the old man. Even Tommy Morrison after beating GF by UD openly stated that he had to stay away from George and out point him to beat him. He knew if he let George touch his chin too often the freight train would catch him.
Kingsama

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:03 am

Old way too heavy George with the big salesman's smile on his face from selling all the GF Grills...... knockin' fools out in his 40s :jam2:

Ali in Zaire with the brilliant Rope a Dope smartly wore George down and did the seeming impossible, but if you watch the early rounds of that strategy he took some hellacious shots. That was always a strength of Ali's that he could take monster punches and survive. Unfortunately they have clearly taken their toll on him in later life. But look at these two just before the bell and how frightening George looked. Ali....if he was fearful.....certainly was not showing it and already face to face..... getting in George's head. Epic freaking fight. :man4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijOjRTqPICk
LTLakerFan

Postby Kingsama on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:13 am

MIght be the greatest HW fight of all time( remember that Big George maintains that they were drugging him in the water he was drinking too lol, he doesn't take anything away from ali, nor does he think ali knew about it. Heck he doesn't really like to talk about it, but he said the water tasted like medicine and he started getting drowsy) whether it is true or not ali demonstrated in that fight why he was so dangerous, he was so cerebral.
Kingsama

Postby karacha on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:32 am

Normally, I'd ask you guys to go back to discussing Sacre and keep boxing posts in the "other sports" forum, but...

...is there anything to discuss about Sacre at this point? :man3:

Serious question.

Man, I can't wait until the (pre)season starts. :man5:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion