Rollercoaster ride

Rollercoaster ride

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:48 pm

What a rollercoaster ride we had this season. First we start the season without Shaq due to foot surgery. Then the horrible start, we just couldn't seem to get our act together. For a while it looked as if we wouldn't even make the playoffs. Then Kobe goes on this incredible scoring exibition. We start off the new year starting to look as if we are going to make another run at a title. The run was so good we almost secured a 4th seed to give us homecourt advantage in the 1st round. Then we lose Rick Fox and Deavean George. It certainly was starting look bad for us, then Phil comes up with open heart surgery. Lastly, the shot that Laker fans will be talking about for years, the Horry rim out. What's my point? It's simple, all year it looked as if we were not going to win this year. We had several obstacles to overcome, and we did. Even though at times it looked as if we should have thrown in the towel, we just kept showing the champions heart that we have. We did not give up, we kept fighting even though it looked as if we were on mission impossible. Saying all that I am proud of the Lakers this year, they showed they want to win every year. Even though some players took grief from other fans of other teams for tears of sorrow, I appreciated those tears. Cause it shows these guys want to win. I am looking forward to next season, because I honestly feel this bump in the road is the begining of another 3peat. I see hunger from the guys and a new sense of urgency. I don't think we will see them take teams like the Bulls & Cavaliers for granted. I think this season was a lesson well taught and that this team will learn from it. Before I go I would like to say great season to the Lakers even though it was an unsuccessful one, and that we have no reason to hang our heads, cause we could have given up several times this year and didn't. I also would like to thank those true Laker fans who stuck by this team even though things did not work out as we anticipated this year. Finally I would like to congradulate the Spurs on taking out a great team. You were better than us this year, but we will be back-to-back-to back again soon!!!! :bow:
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:33 pm

First and foremost, welcome to the site, Lakerfan.
Usually our site administrator CL welcomes you, but he's on vacation. A much needed one!!!!

Questions to ask if you don't mind: male or female??, age??, how long have you been a laker fan?????

Second, I agree with all your takes. Its been a weird season and that Horry shot has almost made me into an emotional wreck. I guess we have to lose sometime. However, we will have a great season next year and will dominate.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:44 pm

Thank you for welcoming me. I am male, 33, and have been a Laker fan since I was 10 years old.

I also keep thinking about that shot. I keep thinking that goes down, we win the series, and by now, we would have already swept New Jersey again and secured our fourth title. Well, as you know it didn't go down, but I think we will learn from this experience. I think those who will be around next year, especially Shaq, Kobe, Fisher, will stop with the light switch mentality. Thinking they can turn it on & off when they want to. Now we won't have to stomache losing to the Bulls or some team like that. The hunger will return, cause I know they are hating watching NBA poster boy Duncan play right now. This may be lighting a fire under Shaq's butt right now. I especially see the the transition that is happening right before our eyes. I see Kobe taking over the leadership on this team, and with his will to win and work ethic I see this as a positive preview of things to come from Mr. Bryant.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:01 pm

The Lakers need to get out of the mentality of playing in the level of their opponents. The only way they should play teams is with the ferocity of blowing teams out. Other teams will do anything to beat and humiliate the 3 time in a row champs. We should go out there with the mentallity to destroy teams everytime we go on the floor. I know we are not going to win every game. But I want them to work hard on the defensive end hard everynight. I thought that our D failed us in the last series we played.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:09 pm

I totally agree. I have felt in our run, that if we came out with intesity and a desire to destroy every team that is put in front of us every time we get on the floor, we would have already broken the 72 win season by the Bulls, record. I have often been disturbed with the fact that we often don't win the game that we definitely should. But as I have already posted, losing this year in theory should have taught our key guys that will be around next year, that we can't get away with that crap anymore. Hopefully, we will start taking the easy road instead of the hard road all the time.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:22 pm

Do you have any preferance on what free agents we should get and which players the Lakers should draft with the 24th and 32nd picks????
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:31 pm

Personally, in free agency, I would like to get PJ Brown first, Juwaun Howard second, and Karl Malone if all else fails. Even though I would like to see Brown and Howard. Howard would probably be the best choice for long term. But for short term, Malone is the best choice. His ability to knock down jumpers and rebound alone will do wonders for our team. Defensively at that position I see us defending by comitee as we have always done.

As far as a point guard, we really don't need a scorer, we need a defender and a guy who can handle the ball and hit open shots. No one really comes to mind right now. Fisher must come off the bench this year. Pargo needs more time also.

George must be a starter this year and hopefull is working on his ball handling. He also needs to make better decisions this year on when to an when not to shoot. Drafts..........we really are in no position to get anything good.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:35 pm

Payton said he's interested. And Shaq has voiced out his opinions about wanting Payton in his team. And we all know that the GLOVE can still play D at the point. There'e an option!! We can give Payton our Mid Level Excemption and we still have the Lower Level Excemption to get another free agent.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:58 pm

So would that allow us to say, get Payton and Howard for example. Cause if we could pull that off, there is no reason to even play next year, just FedEx us the title :man13:
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:00 pm

Yup,

Also you should visit the Rumors section of this website. It has alot of news pertaining to the draft and possible players we can get.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:06 pm

I've looked at it, but I'm not very educated on all the rules on what a team can do to pay or aquire players, so I kinda just wait and see what happens. If we could get Payton and Howard that would be great. If we could get one or the other, that would also be good. If I had to choose, I would say get Payton, Fisher comes off the bench and we will use several players to defend our pf deficiencies again.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:29 pm

I looked at the rumors section and the team that guy Snakell's take put is very realistic and could win us 3 in a row. Starters Kobe, Antonio Daniel's, Shaq, George, Howard.........Bench Fisher, Rush, Fox, Horry, Medvedenko, and Pargo & plus whatever we get in the draft. This could work and is very realistic.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby caliown on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:37 pm

If anyone wants to know the rules of the NBA cap situation, they should go to http://www.realgm.com. That website is cool for breaking down how NBA money is really spent. FYI of course. No pressure. Oh yeah and welcome to site Lakerfan from AZ. Hope you enjoy. :wave:. Look in the link "Larry Coon's FAQ's"
caliown

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:45 pm

:mhihi: Thank you, everyone is so friendly here, I feel very welcome. I have reviewed this site for some time now, and just recently started posting my opinions because I felt the people here knew a lot more about Laker basketball than those on the ESPN message board.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:01 pm

Glad to you found the site Lakerfan,

Since its the offseason there are a lot of people that are missing in action. There is a lot of great people in here and you'll meet them eventually. Its a good site ot be in. Even though at times everyone has different opinions and takes on various topics, we always respect each others views.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:05 am

Oooh, I forgot to welcome u!! Well back to tha topic...

See us fans here know more than the "average" fan... We look more into situations, and players, and analyse on what we see... Sure some of us see things different than others, but we all luv the Lakers, and want the best for the organization. I'm glad to see ur postin, and ur very good at what u do... Thanx for choosin CL to be a part of! See I'm kinda like u really, I don't really understand the cap salary and all that, but I do understand when players are restricted FA's and some of the rest of the stuff... I'm gonna check out that site when I get enuff time... lol
LakersGyrl2003

Return to Lakers Discussion