Ron to LA! (pg 512)

Ron to LA! (pg 512)

Postby NBA Champi-ron on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:50 pm

Summer 2010 Update

Ron Artest gets his ring, helping the Lakers to a 16th NBA championship.

For more, jump to Page 571

Summer 2009 Update

Ron Artest has agreed to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers!

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com wrote:Artest says he's signing with Lakers
Posted on: July 2, 2009 6:56 pm

Shaq can have LeBron. Ron Artest says he'll take Kobe.

Artest, whose versatility and toughness have made him one of the most coveted and combustible players in the NBA, told CBSSports.com Thursday that he's signing with the Lakers.

"I'm definitely going to L.A. -- to sign, yeah," Artest said in a phone interview. "Lakers, Lakers, Lakers. I'm in L.A. right now."

Artest said he met with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss Thursday and previously had spoken with Lakers coach Phil Jackson. He was en route to his financial manager's office, where he planned to huddle on the phone with his agent, David Bauman, to finalize details.

Artest's exuberance -- he spent the whole summer in L.A., including several appearances at Lakers home games during the NBA Finals -- got ahead of the process a bit. Other teams that made overtures for Artest -- including the Cavaliers -- have not yet been notified that Artest is signing with the Lakers. (Consider them notified.) Bauman has spoken with Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, but parameters have not yet been agreed to. Still, it's pretty clear where Artest is going.

"I don't really care about the money," Artest said. "I'll play there for nothing. ... L.A. was very interested in me, and they got me."

For more, jump to page 512.

The Latest of the Ron-Ron Saga

-Sam Amick (Sacramento Bee) goes on a Sacramento radio show and said that a lower member of the Buss family basically told Mitch to get the Ron trade done. (7/12)

-Mason & Ireland interview Joe Maloof, he calls Odom a "great player." (7/12)

-According to the Sacramento Bee, the Lakers have offered Lamar Odom for Artest while the Kings are still reviewing their options. (7/9)

-Ron has decided not to opt out of his contract. (6/30)

-Shortly after Ron's comments, Stevens swings the pendulum back in the other direction, saying they expect to stay in Sacramento. (6/26)

-Ron tells Sacramento Bee that he's considering opting out, stating he's "made a hundred degree turnaround." (6/26)

-Vescey responds to an email by a fan regarding Ron's comments that he won't accept the MLE or opt out of his contract (6/26)

-Sportsline says Lakers are discussing trading LO for Ron and Kenny Thomas (6/25)

-Stevens (Ron's agent) states: ""I don't think it would be a wise decision to (opt out)," he said. "I don't think it will happen." (6/25)

-Peter Vecsey claims Ron will become a FA and the Lakers, Spurs, and Mavs will be the "most fervent suitors." (6/24)

-Marc Stein discusses if the Lakers will pursue Ron. Includes an email from Ron saying "I will never accept a mid-level exception." (6/20)

-Radio interview with Loose Cannons (6/19)

-Chad Ford lists Ron as an option in a S&T involving LO (6/18)

-Sacramento Bee Blog: What next for the Lakers? Telephone call for Ron Artest (6/18)

-Emplay: Artest Considering Opt-Out? (6/17)
NBA Champi-ron

Postby jminges on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:51 pm

Do it Mitch. Odom is fools gold.
jminges

Postby Ianxcom on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:54 pm

:freak2:
Last edited by Ianxcom on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goodbye Odom, you will be missed
Ianxcom

Location: We always think there's something better in the place we are not, In dreams the reality of it all...

Postby D Nice on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:55 pm

It would be sweet if we could get him without giving up Kobe or Odom.

On offense Odom would be PG, and on defense Artest could defend PG's.

Odom
Kobe
Artest
Kwame
Bynum?

Maybe we trade Mihm, Smush, George, and some future 1sts for Artest. It's a dream, I know, but it would be KILLER!
D Nice

Postby SKKG on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:57 pm

Odom for Artest would give us capspace also, it's two advantages vs. one, gotta do it
SKKG

Postby KB24Gold on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:59 pm

"If the trade rumors, if there is any truth -- maybe it won't be a bad thing. They probably could win more games without me."

Wow I can't believe he said that. Pacers would be shooting themselves in the foot if they do in fact trade him. I doubt we can get artest unless we package Odom and someone else because Odom for Artest alone won't work due to salaries.
Last edited by KB24Gold on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Money makes life easier, but it does not bring happiness.
KB24Gold
The Rebirth

Postby Sky on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:01 pm

I pull the trigger. It doesn't give them capspace per se. Artest at 6.5 makes so much less than Odom (11.5) that Indy would have to add another player to make a trade work.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Funkeee on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:02 pm

According to some Pacers fans, Artest wants to be dealt to a bigger market because he wants better record sales.
LA seems as a good place for that.
Funkeee

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:02 pm

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053. :man10:
PurpleNGold1

Postby jminges on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:04 pm

Ron Artest and Scot Pollard (last year) for Lamar Odom. We can offer a max. contract in 2007.
jminges

Postby Ianxcom on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:05 pm

I would say no solely on this quote from Artest:

"If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up," Artest said. "I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James. There's a lot of players I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind. If it was a perfect world, I would be going to New York."

This would only be a temp solution for, i dunno how long his contract is til, a "quick fix."
Last edited by Ianxcom on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ianxcom

Location: We always think there's something better in the place we are not, In dreams the reality of it all...

Postby 21_Blessings on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:06 pm

Well, he would improve our team.

But he is a headcase. It would be a gamble.
21_Blessings

Postby SKKG on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:06 pm

Funkeee wrote:According to some Pacers fans, Artest wants to be dealt to a bigger market because he wants better record sales.
LA seems as a good place for that.

How convenient. Who wants to bet Mitch has been doing some behind the scenes pressuring Artest's agent to tell him to say something like this?
SKKG

/

Postby mvp on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:07 pm

HOLY CRAP :jam2:

Just as I mention an Odom for Artest trade being a must for the Lakers in the "I'm starting to Question Odom's Value to the team" thread, this happens.

WOOOOOOOOO!

Mitch get on the MFO'ing PHONE NOW. NOW. NOW

Phil and Artest were destined to be together.

And since Artest publicly demanded a trade, thus lowering his value, the Lakers MIGHT be able to trade for him without giving up Odom; but even if they *HAD* to give up Lamar, it's still a no-brainer.
mvp

Postby jminges on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:07 pm

Ianxcom wrote:I would say no solely on this quote from Artest:

"If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up," Artest said. "I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James. There's a lot of players I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind. If it was a perfect world, I would be going to New York."

This would only be a temp solution for, i dunno how long his contract is til, a "quick fix."

Same years as Odom. He wants to play in a big market, like New York, uh. THE LAKERS!
jminges

Re: /

Postby jminges on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:08 pm

mvp wrote:HOLY CRAP :jam2:

Just as I mention an Odom for Artest trade being a must for the Lakers in the "I'm starting to Question Odom's Value to the team" thread, this happens.

WOOOOOOOOO!

And since Artest publicly demanded a trade, thus lowering his value, the Lakers MIGHT be able to trade for him without giving up Odom; but even if they *HAD* to give up Lamar, it's still a no-brainer.

Where the hell would Odom play if we had Artest? I certainly don't want him at the four.
jminges

Postby KB24Gold on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:09 pm

Got a link to that? Knicks do have expiring contracts to dish out to get Artest and lets not forget Isiah and Artest do know each other pretty well.
Money makes life easier, but it does not bring happiness.
KB24Gold
The Rebirth

Postby Ianxcom on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:09 pm

jminges wrote:

Same years as Odom. He wants to play in a big market, like New York, uh. THE LAKERS!

I dont think the Triangle would "Maximize" his talent. Sounds to me like he wants all the points and not to share the ball. Id rather take a chance of resigning Odom when his contract comes to an end.

LakerBaller7: I got it from the link above.
Ianxcom

Postby GuRu on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:10 pm

No Thanks.
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Re: /

Postby mvp on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:12 pm

jminges wrote:
mvp wrote:HOLY CRAP :jam2:

WOOOOOOOOO!

Where the hell would Odom play if we had Artest? I certainly don't want him at the four.

You can then trade Lamar for a legit 4.
mvp

Postby kwamejoke on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:15 pm

Please trade Odom for him !!!
Mitch is the General Murder of lakers.

Caron > kwame BUT caron + chucky < kwame !
kwamejoke

Postby Kingsama on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:15 pm

artest and pollard for odom and profit...
Kingsama

Postby bumrusherer on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:16 pm

i'm not sure about Artest. Great player, but i'm not sure he would be good for our young team.

if we were to trade anyone, i'd hope it would be for a front court player.
bumrusherer

Postby mvp on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:16 pm

Artest isn't as stupid as he looks. This was pure EQUIVOCATION -- It gets across the notion that Artest definitely wants out, and it deflects any speculation that he's going to the Lakers. WHY? Because if the public, especially Indiana fans, were to find out he could go to LA, they'd send a plethora of letters to the Pacers head office, just out of spite and hate for the Lakers. It happens, Ya Know :)
mvp

Postby jminges on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:17 pm

kwamejoke wrote:Please trade Odom for him !!!
jminges

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion