Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Ariza3 wrote:Nate Robinson's contract is $400k...kinda wish we went after him. Nate and Meeks as the backup guards would have been pretty cool..barring that we got rid of Blake. But oh well, im okay with Blake i guess, if he does what he should, just wish we got Nate. dirt cheap.

Ahhh, what could have been. Nate & Wright for Blake & filler was one of the best moves we could have made this offseason. We would have 0 holes in the roster. Nate, Meeks, Wright, Jamison, Hill.. Wow what a bench. Although with Wright's shooting, I wouldn't doubt if he ended up taking Ron's starting job to space the 1st unit.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm

ugh, people gotta stop falling in love with kraptonate.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 am

lakerfan2 wrote:ugh, people gotta stop falling in love with kraptonate.

Dorrell Wright was the key piece imo. But I do think Nate would do more for us than Blake.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 am

Not defensively.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 am

^ But the offensive off-set would be more than enough I think to make up for his lack of defense. He's a very capable scorer and an underrated passer. Last season he averaged 4.5 assists last season with 1.5 turnovers in 23:23 minutes. That's a 3.0 assist to turnover ratio which is much better than Blake's 2.36 ratio. Not to mention he shoots better from the field as well.

He isn't as good of an on-ball defender, no, but he's a good passing lane type guy (he averaged 1.2 steals last season). And Blake isn't a great defender anyway, he's just okay. He works hard, but the production isn't all that great kind of like Sasha before his offense fell off the deep end.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Finwë on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 pm

FWIW:
Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz
Rumor: Gilbert Arenas to sign with the Lakers? http://lakerholicz.com/rumor-gilbert-ar ... 2012/09/25
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Please God no.
Image
User avatar
Texas Lakers Fan

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 am

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby venky on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 pm

I wouldn't mind Arenas at all.

But I'd rather have McGrady.
Image
venky

 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 am

I remember him saying that he would go wherever D12 went.......

But if you're telling randoms at a gas station you are going to be signing with so and so, you might have had a little bit too much fun the night before.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:23 am

:man10:

I call BS unless Dwight is pulling strings for him. Jodie is more than capable of being our backup 2 and we have a ton of money tied up behind Nash. Unless we plan on letting go of Morris, Goudelock, AND Odom then there's really no reason to have Arenas.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby JSM on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:32 am

Finwë wrote:FWIW:
Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz
Rumor: Gilbert Arenas to sign with the Lakers? http://lakerholicz.com/rumor-gilbert-ar ... 2012/09/25 …

Hibachi signing with the Clipps does sound more likely.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94033
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby LOSLAKERS on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:41 am

do NOT want Arenas
User avatar
LOSLAKERS

 
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 am

Can't be worse than Blake. We have a ton of PG's if he sucks that bad he'll sit. Worth taking a chance with the minimum imo.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:45 am

i think arenas would be a good cheap pickup to play behind meeks. you have to account for injuries or other things. BUT i think he'll have to prove himself against glock and djo and vice versa to earn that spot.
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4702
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Don't want. I just don't see the necessity. My first choice would still be a solid backup swing 2/3. I want them to develop Ebanks but just in case of emergency I would like to shore that position up. It's the one real question mark. Duhon or Blake? Those guys are about the same level to me - we have two backup PGs already. Meeks is a great pickup and should get his run. If he gets hurt we also have GLOCK who has promise and DJO who has promise. At the three we don't have a legit third option. It would be someone playing out of position behind Ebanks. I don't know about Clark but his game looks more like PF.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Don't want. I just don't see the necessity. My first choice would still be a solid backup swing 2/3. I want them to develop Ebanks but just in case of emergency I would like to shore that position up. It's the one real question mark. Duhon or Blake? Those guys are about the same level to me - we have two backup PGs already. Meeks is a great pickup and should get his run. If he gets hurt we also have GLOCK who has promise and DJO who has promise. At the three we don't have a legit third option. It would be someone playing out of position behind Ebanks. I don't know about Clark but his game looks more like PF.

This is/was why I wouldn't mind picking up McGrady. I think if he has anything in the tank, he'd be the ideal backup behind Ebanks. The problem is everyone is passing on him already... that might mean he's got nothing left. I'd like for them to be rid of some of the younger guys and shore things up a little better, but I understand cost is an issue. After reading up on Morris and his dedication, I'm willing to give him one more shot. So that means I'd cut ties with Goudelock because Odom shows more promise as an athlete and a defender. Ideally (but realistically of course) this is my team on opening day:

Nash/Blake/Duhon/Morris
Bryant/Meeks/Odom
Peace/Ebanks/McGrady
Gasol/Jamison/Clark
Howard/Hill

I like Sacre, but because we had to take on Duhon I think McGrady is bigger need than a 3rd big. The more likely lineup though would be McGrady out and Sacre in since we likely pass on McGrady.

Either way, I'm passing on Arenas.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 pm

i dunno. maybe arenas would be a good pickup. i mean hes good enough to play when other teams go small with their bench or lets say someone like Blake or Meeks is injured. he can come in and be an offensive threat or spot up shooter.

i say bring him into training camp and see how he fairs against DJO and Glock and see who earns the 3rd string SG spot or something.

Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4702
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby JSM on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:17 am

With the Arenas "rumor" posted above, the fact that he's wanted to come here for a couple years, the fact that he wanted to sign on wherever Dwight went, and the fact that he's in our gym today scrimmaging...makes me think the front office is at least giving him a(nother) look.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94033
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:48 am

Yep. Gil said he wanted to sign where ever Dwight went, his former coach is here and he knows the Princeton offense. Good chance he might end up here.
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10288
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 am

So are Derek fisher and Gilbert arenas going to end up in a fist fight over being the teams pity signing
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7501
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby nthydro on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:57 am

I'm pretty sure if we sign him it's to play backup PG. It doesn't make sense to sign Meeks then bring in Arenas to take minutes away from him. With Blake's recent injury, it's not a bad insurance plan.
nthydro

 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:48 am

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Don't want. I just don't see the necessity. My first choice would still be a solid backup swing 2/3. I want them to develop Ebanks but just in case of emergency I would like to shore that position up. It's the one real question mark. Duhon or Blake? Those guys are about the same level to me - we have two backup PGs already. Meeks is a great pickup and should get his run. If he gets hurt we also have GLOCK who has promise and DJO who has promise. At the three we don't have a legit third option. It would be someone playing out of position behind Ebanks. I don't know about Clark but his game looks more like PF.

This is/was why I wouldn't mind picking up McGrady. I think if he has anything in the tank, he'd be the ideal backup behind Ebanks. The problem is everyone is passing on him already... that might mean he's got nothing left. I'd like for them to be rid of some of the younger guys and shore things up a little better, but I understand cost is an issue. After reading up on Morris and his dedication, I'm willing to give him one more shot. So that means I'd cut ties with Goudelock because Odom shows more promise as an athlete and a defender. Ideally (but realistically of course) this is my team on opening day:

Nash/Blake/Duhon/Morris
Bryant/Meeks/Odom
Peace/Ebanks/McGrady
Gasol/Jamison/Clark
Howard/Hill

I like Sacre, but because we had to take on Duhon I think McGrady is bigger need than a 3rd big. The more likely lineup though would be McGrady out and Sacre in since we likely pass on McGrady.

Either way, I'm passing on Arenas.


I'm with you realdeal. I'd probably do that as well. That is if McGrady has anything left in the tank. Personally I see Arenas as too much of a distraction. While he's a brilliant scorer at times, we brought in Meeks and Jamison to fill the scoring off the bench roles. And we have a ton of guards - DJO, GLOCK, Morris, Duhon, Blake, Meeks. Our hole is at the 3.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby JSM on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 am

Marc Stein of ESPN wrote:L.A. native Gilbert Arenas was playing pickup ball in the Lakers' practice facility as recently as Thursday, but Arenas has yet to secure a training camp invite for the coming season.

Not from the Lakers or the Clippers, his two preferred destinations, or anyone else.

So ...

Sources with knowledge of Arenas' thinking told ESPN.com that the former All-Star is giving strong consideration to starting the season in China.

Arenas has spent the bulk of the offseason working out under the care of the trusted Joe Abunassar while dropping in on the occasional open gym at the Lakers' or Clippers' practice facilities and, by all accounts, looking good in those pickup games.

The reality, though, is that Arenas -- who turned 30 in January -- knows he's unlikely to command more than a veteran minimum deal at this point after appearing in just 17 games with Memphis last season. So word is that Arenas, while still holding out hope that the Lakers or Clippers decide they need him, has began to assess his non-NBA options.

And China is said to be at the top of the list, given the fact that former NBA All-Stars who go there tend to be well-compensated ... and the helpful knowledge that the short Chinese season allows for a return to the NBA in March or April if he impresses.

He has some time to decide, though, with Chinese teams still filling out rosters before their league opens play in November.

Non guaranteed camp invite and see what happens.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94033
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:54 am

Lakerjones wrote:[
I'm with you realdeal. I'd probably do that as well. That is if McGrady has anything left in the tank. Personally I see Arenas as too much of a distraction. While he's a brilliant scorer at times, we brought in Meeks and Jamison to fill the scoring off the bench roles. And we have a ton of guards - DJO, GLOCK, Morris, Duhon, Blake, Meeks. Our hole is at the 3.

Agreed. We've got a glutton of guards right now, most of them undersized. I don't think Arenas fits anywhere here. What could he give us honestly that Odom or Goudelock can't at twice the price of those guys? He won't get much playing time, he won't give us a great locker room presence, he won't give us youth and athleticism.

All he gives is proven inefficiency and age without proven maturity.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby gradymac on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:40 am

having my two favorite players in the nba Kobe & T-mac on the same team would be like a dream! do it mitch! :jam2: :jam2:
Image
User avatar
gradymac

 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:54 am
Location: cali

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.