Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:30 pm

FYI: Well the Spurs recently waived Eddy Curry and it looks like the Mavs just picked him up off the waiver wire. The Mavs have committed salary to 15 players as of right now, so it looks like someone is getting cut in order to make room for Curry.

Stay tuned....
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:37 pm

I think he needs to clear waivers

NBA teams can release a player to the waiver wire, where he can stay for 48 hours (during the regular season). While he is on waivers, other teams may claim him, for his existing salary. If he is not claimed, he is said to have "cleared waivers", and is treated like any free agent, able to sign with any team (with the special restriction noted above for players who were traded and then waived).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap#Waivers

I wonder if waiver priority is based on losing record?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:40 pm

Well there you have it...West is going to get waived or traded.

The Mavericks announced that they have been awarded free agent center Eddy Curry on a waiver claim.
“We are excited to bring Eddy Curry to Dallas,” President of Basketball Operations Donnie Nelson said. “He has worked extremely hard this of-season and can provide our front line with much needed depth.”
----
The Mavericks wasted no time filling a need – and the roster spot that will be created when Delonte West is waived – by putting in a waiver claim for veteran NBA center Eddy Curry, a source said.
The deadline for finalizing the 15-man roster that will start the season is Monday. The Mavericks have until then to waive West, who is suspended from the team for the time being.
Curry, 29, was the fourth overall pick in the 2001 draft, the same one that produced Tyson Chandler.
The Mavericks could be without Chris Kaman for the start of the regular season. Kaman will miss the Friday preseason finale against Charlotte with a strained right calf muscle.
By signing Curry, the Mavericks will have a 16-player roster. But they are expected to jettison West, either by cutting him or finding a willing trade partner, before Monday’s roster deadline.
Curry was waived by the Spurs on Tuesday.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:42 pm

We need to trade them Luke Walton's TPE of 1.4 million for him right now. This would be huge.
Last edited by Doc Brown on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:43 pm

Please, Mitch make it happen. Waive Morris and Goudelock and bring in West... PLEASE!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Since he was re-signed to a 1 yr contract Im guessing they have to trade him to a team of choice...yea thats not happening. Hes probably going to get cut. Hopefully he clears the waiver wire and he signs here.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:50 pm

My only problem: is DWest heady enough to pick up the Princeton (which is why I prefer Arenas over him) and you have to remember that like Arenas, dude was working out in our gym with some of our guys...Coach B has experience with him in Cleveland (Eddie Jordan with Arenas in Washington)...and LA still didn't make an offer to neither of those guys.

The question is why? Maybe it has something to do with the chance that these guys could possibly pistol whip LA's 100M investment. I would've had more confidence had Phil been here, but can Mike Brown handle so many personalities....and that's just DWest...there's still the rest of the team.

Well Dallas was a willing trade partner with us last year during training camp....so maybe they can forget about the travesty that was the man with the anagram for DOOM and engage in talks with Mitch again. Still it would be hard cause they're already at 16 for the roster so its not like we can unload all our wasted roster spots onto them.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:52 pm

^ West at this point in his career is better than Arenas for roughly the same price. They're both head cases, but I'll take the more talented one over the elder.

Also, we'd have to pick him up off of waivers because we've got too many guys and they've got too many guys.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Brown handled him in Cleveland. Now to say if he is better or worse since then in terms of mental stability is up in the air, but Brown has coach him before.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:55 pm

So apparently Monday is the final day to have your rosters trimmed down to 15 (or less) so we may not know about this until then. Blah!

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby karacha on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:59 pm

This would be so great.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alcindor on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We need to trade them Luke Walton's TPE of 1.4 million for him right now. This would be huge.

Good point, not a lot of assets out there that Cube could get for him right now.
Alcindor

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:34 pm

I don't care how we do it just get Delonte West.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Finwë on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:06 pm

I really doubt that happens though.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz
ICYMI - Sources: Lakers to only sign Robert Sacre and head into the season with 14 players? http://lakerholicz.com/sources-lakers-t ... 2012/10/25
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 pm

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8550354/suspended-delonte-west-return-dallas-mavericks-source-said

Suspended guard Delonte West will not return to the Dallas Mavericks, a source said.

The team is in the process of negotiating terms of West's departure with his agent, Dan Fegan, after the fiery guard was suspended Thursday for conduct detrimental to the team. It was the second time the team suspended West in two weeks, although the first suspension lasted only 21 hours, ending after West met with coach Rick Carlisle and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson

He has the same agent as Dwight. Do it Mitch :jam2:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Magic Waive Quentin Richardson

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:51 am

Magic Waive Quentin Richardson

Author: Josh Robbins
Magic beat writer

The Orlando Magic have waived wing Quentin Richardson, combo forward Justin Harper and wing Chris Johnson.

The moves bring the team's roster down to 15 players, ahead of the NBA-mandated 5 p.m. Monday deadline. It also means that wing DeQuan Jones, an undrafted rookie and former Miami Hurricanes player, made the regular-season roster.

Richardson, 32, didn't fit into the Magic's long-term plans, and he didn't play in Orlando's final four preseason games. General manager Rob Hennigan and coach Jacque Vaughn informed him of the news this morning in a meeting at Amway Center.

“Actually, Rob did a great job just getting outfront and being open and everything,” Richardson told the Orlando Sentinel by phone. “So it wasn’t something that blindsided me. He kept in constant communication with my agent, Jeff Wechsler. I’ve got nothing but the utmost respect for the way Rob handled everything.

“I’ve been around long enough to know it was definitely a possibility, and I just appreciate the way Rob handled it. From Day One, I just wanted him to be honest and open with me, and that’s how he handled it. So I have no ill feelings about it.”

Cutting Richardson comes at a hefty financial cost for the Magic, who will owe him $2.6 million this season and $2.8 million next season unless another team claims him off waivers within 48 hours, which seems unlikely given his age and recent on-court production.

“When we started the transition period over the summer,” Hennigan said, “we said to ourselves we want to evaluate everything, and we want to make sure that we judge our players based on the work they put in and the merit that comes with that.

“All throughout the preseason, we evaluated everything, and we made the decision that, yeah, financially we’re going to have to make a decision that impacts us in that way. But we feel that the decision was for the organization and the culture we want to start to set.”

Orlando acquired Harper, 23, during the 2011 draft.

Originally selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the second round, the Magic gave up a second-round pick in 2013 and a second-round pick in 2014 for his draft rights. Harper's salary of about $760,000 for this season is fully guaranteed and will, like Richardson's salary, count against Orlando's cap figure unless he's claimed off waivers.

Johnson, 22, an Orlando native, was signed to a make-good contract Oct. 9 to give the team depth in practice and during the preseason.

Richardson has played 12 NBA seasons, and he said Hennigan contacted Wechsler about a week ago to give Wechsler a heads-up that the Magic were leaning toward waiving him.

Richardson hopes to keep playing.

“Even right now, as we speak, my Twitter is being flooded with just thank yous and people sad to see me go,” he said. “I have so much appreciation for the fans and the way they’ve received me. This is my 13th year in the league and I absolutely understand the way things go, and I know they’re in a rebuilding period.

“I don’t have any particular choices right now, but obviously I’d like to be a on a playoff team or a contending team or a situation where I can help. But I’m a pro and whatever comes, I’m going to put my best foot forward and bring my best to the team, wherever I go.”
Josh Robbins covers the Orlando Magic and the NBA for the Orlando Sentinel. You can reach him via e-mail at jbrobbins@tribune.com and connect with him on Facebook at facebook.com/JoshuaBRobbins. Follow him on Twitter at @JoshuaBRobbins.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... 7442.story
Kobe8Fan

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Notable FA's left

POINT GUARDS: Derek Fisher, Jonny Flynn, Gilbert Arenas, Earl Boykins, Mike Bibby, Mike James, Manny Harris, Baron Davis

SHOOTING GUARDS: Mickael Pietrus, Michael Redd, Maurice Evans, Terrence Williams, Jason Kapono

SMALL FORWARDS: Josh Howard, Shawne Williams, Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Bill Walker, Jamario Moon, Renaldo Balkman, Christian Eyenga

POWER FORWARDS: Kenyon Martin, Ryan Gomes, Troy Murphy, Josh Powell, Derrick Caracter, Jordan Williams, Juwan Howard, Francisco Elson, Justin Harper

CENTERS: Ben Wallace, Erick Dampier, Greg Oden, Sean Williams, Tony Battie, Mehmet Okur, Hassan Whiteside

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:15 pm

The Rock wrote:Notable FA's left

POINT GUARDS: Derek Fisher, Jonny Flynn, Gilbert Arenas, Earl Boykins, Mike Bibby, Mike James, Manny Harris, Baron Davis

SHOOTING GUARDS: Mickael Pietrus, Michael Redd, Maurice Evans, Terrence Williams, Jason Kapono

SMALL FORWARDS: Josh Howard, Shawne Williams, Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Bill Walker, Jamario Moon, Renaldo Balkman, Christian Eyenga

POWER FORWARDS: Kenyon Martin, Ryan Gomes, Troy Murphy, Josh Powell, Derrick Caracter, Jordan Williams, Juwan Howard, Francisco Elson, Justin Harper

CENTERS: Ben Wallace, Erick Dampier, Greg Oden, Sean Williams, Tony Battie, Mehmet Okur, Hassan Whiteside

Half this list are former Lakers.
OX1947

Postby karacha on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:21 pm

That tells you few things about our bench history.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:58 pm

This thread should be locked or adjusted in about 3 days...

I'm guessing we're going in with this team. I wish Cark/Morris/Duhon/Blake were a legit backup 1 and a 2/3 swing, but we'll be fine with the lineup we've got.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:07 pm

^^^Maybe change the title to the regular season player discussion? I don't know just spit ballin'.....

Just in case we have an injury or something and we need to sign someone or someone becomes available during the season.
Doc Brown

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^Maybe change the title to the regular season player discussion? I don't know just spit ballin'.....

Just in case we have an injury or something and we need to sign someone or someone becomes available during the season.

Or just general player movement discussion perhaps?
GoldHammish

Re: Roster Improvement Discussion: 15 man roster set? (pg 107)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:26 pm

I wonder why nobody picked up Al Thornton.
Kobe8Fan

Postby lakersStan24 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:17 pm

The Rock wrote:Notable FA's left

At Of Those I'd pick up Gilbert Arenas, Kenyon Martin, Mickael Pietrus & Ben Wallace Maybe D-Fish
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion