Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Magic on ESPN hinted Pau for JSmith

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:24 pm

You guys keep whining about Pau's defense, but everyone's defense has been terrible including our two best players in Kobe and Dwight should we get rid of them too? Of course not. Pau has to improve his defense no doubt about it, but so does everyone on the Lakers. Our team defense is just bad right now. I don't think you can really single out one single player. As I already mentioned Smith and Dwight would be a terrific defensive combo, but neither can shoot/space the floor which will lead to a very clogged lane for both guys. Pau has been terrific offensively and on the boards. He's the third option still and is averaging 16 points and 12 boards. Pretty good for a guy who is the 3rd option on offense.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby The Original 81 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:You guys keep whining about Pau's defense, but everyone's defense has been terrible including our two best players in Kobe and Dwight should we get rid of them too? Of course not. Pau has to improve his defense no doubt about it, but so does everyone on the Lakers. Our team defense is just bad right now. I don't think you can really single out one single player. As I already mentioned Smith and Dwight would be a terrific defensive combo, but neither can shoot/space the floor which will lead to a very clogged lane for both guys. Pau has been terrific offensively and on the boards. He's the third option still and is averaging 16 points and 12 boards. Pretty good for a guy who is the 3rd option on offense.

Okay, so because others aren't playing up to their potential on defense, its okay for Pau? Kobe's playing on a bum foot and Dwight's recovering from offseason back surgery, what's Pau's excuse? Nobody is "whining", just simply pointing out the obvious.

I'm not even advocating a Smith/Gasol swap either, so I'm not sure why you continue to bring it up. I still think Pau would be more effective with less minutes, I'm hoping Brown gets his head out of his ***.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Pau averages 16 and 12?

I'll go back to watching the games and making my whiny observations and you just keep checkin' the box scores.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby OX1947 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm

I can not believe how blind some of you people are. Gasol is our LAST problem. I wanted to use a worse word then blind, but i dont want to get banned. The Lakers TEAM has ZERO leadership from the bench. And the leadership that is on the floor, is too busy thinking about crap instead of playing basketball. Its freakin basketball, its not rocket science. This idiot has turned it into Ivy league calculus.
OX1947

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:26 pm

That's the secret part of the Princeton offense. When you get the ball, you have to count backwards in primes from 101, and then pass the ball while visualizing a contour integral.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Ok, thought I'd bump this, since it is clear there will be tweaks to the Roster now that MDA is the coach.

What do we need to get rid of? Guys who can't run well. can't finish, can't pass, and can't shoot. This is RING or bust. So no time to waste in developing D-League guys like DJO, Sacre, and Clark.

Guys who can shoot, I think, are most important (even more than speed and athleticism). This is especially true for guys who already know MDA's system.

Raja Bell (slow, but a good back up with Meeks)
Michael Redd (bad wheel? I prefer him for this offense, over DJO)

Guys who can run, hit the 3, and defend
Pietrus (Knee heeled?)
West
??

Someone to replace Sacre
Kenyon (bad knee)
???
tigerjeterkobe

Postby quartzcharm on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:21 pm

No clue who we'll be going after, but I do think roster changes (albeit minimal ones) are forth-coming.
quartzcharm

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 am

Any news on Delonte West?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:05 am

We have to trade Pau ... pb is Lakers FO waited too long to pull the trigger ( again ...after CP3 debacle) .
As this point , the probability of our team getting better this season by trading Pau is near zero ... trading Pau for the sake of it doesn't make sense ... his contract may get us back good/better value next season as it is expring though
wcsoldier81

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 am

Pau gets this year and gets traded next season for cap space
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Sirron on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 am

We have a lot of talent on this roster. would not surprise me at all to see front office parlay Pau into some nice pieces for us. We'll see. Every team could always use tweaks, but I also think we are a contender put together as is. You could do a lot worse than Pau, that is for sure. I think I'd like to see him in Dan Tony's offense first.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 am

I don't want to see any major roster moves until we see what the coach can do with what he has.

Now when I say major, I mean our starters, including Ron Ron and Pau. With the bench they are going to have to decide what to do about Ebanks. I could see him playing for D' Antoni, but I'm not sure what the repercussions will be about the DUI.

Since D' Antoni has worked with Duhon before, I'd love to see him get more minutes. I think he's fine for him as backup PG.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Poooky on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Pau for Faried! Evevthough its impossible to happen.
""I eat babies!!! Woot woot"
Poooky

Postby Center Court on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm worried that Hill won't see the floor much with MDA. He's known to love to play stretch 4 and that's what Jamison is. Between Dwight/Pau/Jamison, that's pretty much all the mins at PF/C.

Hill has become my favorite player, but if he can get a good return, maybe he is trade bait? Hopefully, Jamison just becomes a role player and not so much a 6th man kinda guy because I'd hate to lose Hill... though he is our best trade piece.

Meh, I'll wait and see how MDA wants to run this thing.
Center Court

Postby hdtvset on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Trade Pau for Love? Can we hit another home run? :man10:
hdtvset

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:53 pm

hdtvset wrote:Trade Pau for Love? Can we hit another home run? :man10:

would love that, but it ain't happening
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:47 pm

I'd trade Pau+Ebanks+Morris for a starting stretch 4 + a backup sharpshooting SF + some picks and maybe junk/filler. I want to see if MDA+Nash can rejuvinate Pau's sack. I'm doubtful.

Houston has always had a crush on Pau. Maybe Parsons and Delfino?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:56 pm

I'd give Pau a chance till the all star break only to see how he fits in with Dantony. Smith might fit at the defensive end but not sure how he would fit on the offensive end.

I wish the Wolves still had a chubby for him to pair up with Ricky
D.B. Cooper

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson about 9 minutes ago
An agent who's trying to get his guy on Wolves: "I think the team is trying to make a trade. No one has said as much, but that’s my guess."

At one point, didn't the Wolves want to pair Pau with Rubio and Love?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson about 9 minutes ago
An agent who's trying to get his guy on Wolves: "I think the team is trying to make a trade. No one has said as much, but that’s my guess."

At one point, didn't the Wolves want to pair Pau with Rubio and Love?

Yes, they did. There were several rumors floating around last year regarding Pau and the T-Wolves. I believe Derrick Williams, the Wolves 2nd overall pick was said to be apart of that trade. It would be interesting to see if they would offer some sort of package for Pau? Then again, who would we want from their roster? Williams, though he's a little too undersized for me can play a stretch 4 PF to provide more spacing, Berea is interesting; he's up upgrade as a backup PG, can shoot, create for himself & others, etc. IDK. Interesting, though...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby jjin28 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Gasol played great D when he won his first ring against orlando where he would really play D and go straight up to contest shots. Ever since then, he now only puts one arm up in the air, the 2nd arm to protect his gut and jumps backward to avoid the physical contact. That is the only problem i have with Pau. His defense is like a scared chicken sh..... Contest a shot by going straight up with both arms up. It would make a huge difference. Start watching for this. You will notice it too for every player that penetrates the lane, you will undoubtedly see Gasol fade jump back.
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby revgen on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:20 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Any news on Delonte West?

Nobody has picked him up yet. We still have 15 players on the roster, so there's nothing we can do.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 pm

revgen wrote:Nobody has picked him up yet. We still have 15 players on the roster, so there's nothing we can do.

Well, we could admit that our team is built to win RIGHT NOW, and dump our young projects that aren't working out. We could release Darius Morris, Darius Johnson-Odom, Devin Ebanks and Earl Clark (4 players everyone will admit are the worst wastes of space on our bench...primarily because THEY CAN'T SHOOT) and bring in Delonte West, Michael Redd, Josh Howard and Kenyon Martin to replace them.

All four players ARE available for the VET MIN, and ALL would IMMEDIATELY be quality back up options at their respective positions...and all would be replacing virtual DEAD WEIGHT on our roster. Our team would look like this:

PG: Steve Nash / Delonte West / Chris Duhon / Steve Blake
SG: Kobe Bryant / Michael Redd / Jodie Meeks
SF: Ron Artest / Antawn Jamison / Josh Howard
PF: Pau Gasol / Kenyon Martin
C: Dwight Howard / Jordan Hill / Robert Sacre

There are NO holes in that roster. Everyone in the backcourt can stretch the floor, and everyone in the front court can defend, rebound and finish around the basket. Meeks can try to take his minutes back from a 33 year old Michael Redd...who looked good in Phoenix's D'Antoni style offense (in limited minutes) last season. Both Meeks and Redd can stroke the outside J, I just trust Redd to do it more consistently given his history and the confidence of a veteran knowing he will get as many open shots as he can handle on this roster.

Delonte West can D it up, and hit big shots from the PG position. Josh Howard can be the ANTI Ebanks, an older, more experienced SF who can stretch the floor and play under control. Kenyon Martin gives us a QUANTAM LEAP over the useless Earl Clark, who couldn't crack the 4 ppg plateau in his all but illustrious career. Essentially, Duhon and Blake become the Dariuses on our roster...PGs who can't get any playing time. The HUGE difference between the young Dariuses and Duhon/Blake, though, is that the veterans can both knock down outside shots like pros, and the young guys can't even shoot at a D-League level.

These moves are relatively cheap, and I believe SIGNIFICANTLY upgrade our options and versatility coming off the bench. I would pull the trigger on these moves RIGHT NOW if I were Mitch.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm

watching all the other good teams in the league I know we need someone young athletic full of energy to come off the bench and score. we have Jordan hill but he can't score. we needed sessions just like the clips have Bledsoe. just someone whose fearless and can do somedage. I think this team would become very deadly with a guy like delonte who can set others up and also score. the guy has something to prove to everyone and the league and I think would stay out of trouble and just do work.

sessions should have been that guy and FO should have made sure to resign him at all costs bc he's balling in that backup pg spot which is what he is. we'd be deadly with Nash and then when he sits having delonte come in. hope were not done with the roster bc he'd be huge and would easily compliment Jamison and meeks

also if we're permanently playing Jamison as mettas backup then we should get Kenyon Martin as paus backup. he'd give him plenty of rest and it's not like Pau is doing much aggressive scoring when he's in so when Pau isn't in he can play with Jordan hill or Dwight and that energy on the boards wouldn't stop all game long.

with this new system were gunna need a quicker PG and delonte would be our best bet. i like duhon and maybe well see something different when dantoni plays him as the primary backup to nash. but i think bringing in delonte would make the D have to react to him and he can get guys like meeks and jamison going more than they are now.
Ariza3

Postby Jordan-esque on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Can Smith hit them 15 footers?
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion