Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby khmrP on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 am

XXIV wrote:^^ Which is why I said "regain" as in he once had it, even if it was for a short period of time. Who knows, perhaps if we had kept him he would have continued shooting the ball in a similar fashion, or at the very least be a player defenders could not play off of. I'm not trying to say it's a sure thing he'll become the player he once was, but he thrived here in LA once before so why can't it happen again? He's definitely not my first option for players to go after (I'd much rather have Pietrus), but if we can create some roster spots by getting him I wouldn't be completely opposed to it either. Sometimes a change in scenery can do wonders for a player and maybe that's all he needs.


I dont see it happening AT ALL, there is nothing to regain when there was nothing there to begin with, Ariza has always been a sub 30% shooter from 3's even during his laker tenure and sub 40% fg overall. You cannot expect a player with Ariza history to repeat such a small strtech in his career where he was way above his % shooting wise. But if we can dump Blake then I'm all for it, I dont have the same positive out look as most do here for Ariza.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby XXIV on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:09 am

khmrP wrote:
XXIV wrote:^^ Which is why I said "regain" as in he once had it, even if it was for a short period of time. Who knows, perhaps if we had kept him he would have continued shooting the ball in a similar fashion, or at the very least be a player defenders could not play off of. I'm not trying to say it's a sure thing he'll become the player he once was, but he thrived here in LA once before so why can't it happen again? He's definitely not my first option for players to go after (I'd much rather have Pietrus), but if we can create some roster spots by getting him I wouldn't be completely opposed to it either. Sometimes a change in scenery can do wonders for a player and maybe that's all he needs.


I dont see it happening AT ALL, there is nothing to regain when there was nothing there to begin with, Ariza has always been a sub 30% shooter from 3's even during his laker tenure and sub 40% fg overall. You cannot expect a player with Ariza history to repeat such a small strtech in his career where he was way above his % shooting wise. But if we can dump Blake then I'm all for it, I dont have the same positive out look as most do here for Ariza.


Believe me I don't think any of this has much credibility either, most of us are just trying to find ways to improve the team while getting rid of some dead weight. If we could somehow swing 2-3 players for Ariza, that alone would make it worth it as we'd have generated some open roster spots which could be used to sign players such as West/Pietrus. More than anything this would be the bright side if a trade like this happened. :man10:
XXIV

 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:34 am

He may give us more than he gave us before, you never really know. Good PG's work well with certain players & they put up career numbers. Sessions doesn't belong in the same sentence as Nash, but there were games last season where he made Matt Barnes look like the 4th-5th option on the team. I could see Ariza meshing well with Nash. But at the very least, I think we can all agree that Ariza can give us more than Ebanks. If we get him for Blake/Ebanks/Clark. A bench of Morris/Meeks/Ariza/Jamison/Hill.. That's some really solid depth, & 4/5 are young. Who knows, Pau might be taking Jamison's spot at backup PF for the rest of the season.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am

I wonder if Chicago would part with Noah/Rip/Nate Rob for Pau/Duhon

A bench of NateRob/Meeks/Rip/Jamison/Hill is top of the line IMO.

Noah/D12 would be one hell of a defensive duo.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 am

Doc Brown wrote:I wonder if Chicago would part with Noah/Rip/Nate Rob for Pau/Duhon

A bench of NateRob/Meeks/Rip/Jamison/Hill is top of the line IMO.

Noah/D12 would be one hell of a defensive duo.


pipe. not a chance. Noah is a young promising big who can anchor the defenses with the best of em. Pau is aging almost out of his prime (if not already is).
Image
User avatar
thisbjgz

 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:03 am
Location: brooklyn, nyc !

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 am

But since we're in this topic of pipe, lol I'd take a Ariza/Okafor/Beal package for Pau anyday. Those boys at DC mind as well blow it up, they're terrible honestly.
Last edited by thisbjgz on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
thisbjgz

 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:03 am
Location: brooklyn, nyc !

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby GNC on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 am

Doc Brown wrote:I wonder if Chicago would part with Noah/Rip/Nate Rob for Pau/Duhon

A bench of NateRob/Meeks/Rip/Jamison/Hill is top of the line IMO.

Noah/D12 would be one hell of a defensive duo.


Interesting--I love Noah's game. And Rip/Nate would be nice additions to our bench; however, I wonder if Chicago would part ways with Noah for Pau considering that they are not contending this year and pau is going to be another year older when Rose gets back to the floor and is back to normal.

I'd be all for it not sure about Chicago though. Even so, neither one can hit a jump shot to save their lives.
Last edited by GNC on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
GNC

 
Posts: 16403
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: Next to Kate Upton

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby therealdeal on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am

Doc Brown wrote:I wonder if Chicago would part with Noah/Rip/Nate Rob for Pau/Duhon

A bench of NateRob/Meeks/Rip/Jamison/Hill is top of the line IMO.

Noah/D12 would be one hell of a defensive duo.

Image
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
Frank Dux wrote:^It's almost December and they're still winless, I do think a fire sale is on the horizon. I would love to grab Ariza. Unfortunately I tried messing around the it on ESPN's trade machine, and I don't think we have the assets to make it happen.


http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ckq773z

:man9:

If we're giving up Pau for Ariza, it's in a package containing Seraphin & Crawford. Actually, that wouldn't be too bad. Knowing the Wiz we can get their 1st too.

Don't understand why you guys are suggesting Okafor/Noah.. Gasol being too slow is one of the main reasons he doesn't fit. We don't want other slow bigs in return. Best case scenario, you get a starting SF that can play PF if we go small, which we will if we want to maximize Nash. Jamison can give us more than Pau in that starting role. Dwight + Kobe + shooters that can run, 1 of them being a top 5 PG. That's the recipe.

If we're dealing with Chicago, Deng + Nate would be a great deal.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 am

lakersin4 wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
Frank Dux wrote:^It's almost December and they're still winless, I do think a fire sale is on the horizon. I would love to grab Ariza. Unfortunately I tried messing around the it on ESPN's trade machine, and I don't think we have the assets to make it happen.


http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ckq773z

:man9:

If we're giving up Pau for Ariza, it's in a package containing Seraphin & Crawford. Actually, that wouldn't be too bad. Knowing the Wiz we can get their 1st too.

Don't understand why you guys are suggesting Okafor/Noah.. Gasol being too slow is one of the main reasons he doesn't fit. We don't want other slow bigs in return. Best case scenario, you get a starting SF that can play PF if we go small, which we will if we want to maximize Nash. Jamison can give us more than Pau in that starting role. Dwight + Kobe + shooters that can run, 1 of them being a top 5 PG. That's the recipe.

If we're dealing with Chicago, Deng + Nate would be a great deal.


Okafor is not at all really a slow big. He has great size and can run the floor, he's a little injury prone sure, but I think if he does come to LA he would come off the bench to play maybe 12-16 minutes, perfect for this point of his career. Can play PF(his normal position IMO, and can also play the C) He's a mini mini Horford IMO.
Image
User avatar
thisbjgz

 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:03 am
Location: brooklyn, nyc !

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby khmrP on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:10 am

thisbjgz wrote:Okafor is not at all really a slow big. He has great size and can run the floor, he's a little injury prone sure, but I think if he does come to LA he would come off the bench to play maybe 12-16 minutes, perfect for this point of his career. Can play PF(his normal position IMO, and can also play the C) He's a mini mini Horford IMO.


I dont think you actually watch enough of Okafor game if you think he is similar to Horford, Okafor is as close to Horford as Hill is.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby purp n gold on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:55 pm

thisbjgz wrote:Okafor is not at all really a slow big. He has great size and can run the floor, he's a little injury prone sure, but I think if he does come to LA he would come off the bench to play maybe 12-16 minutes, perfect for this point of his career. Can play PF(his normal position IMO, and can also play the C) He's a mini mini Horford IMO.



:man10: :man10: :man10: @ Okafor in this system.

He is not at all like Horford. Al Horford is a PF masquerading as a C in the small East. Horford loves to play the David West-style 18-footer game, while Okafor parks himself in the low post.

Trust me... I have been following Okafor since he was drafted. I'm the wise guy who told my friends that the Magic will regret drafting Howard over Okafor back in 2004.

He is a smart, defensive big who can rebound. That's about it. He has heavy feet, he's slow, injury prone and does not have much of an offensive game. When he was drafted, critics projected him to be a better version of Buck Williams. I don't even think he's reached those expectations.

In his 2nd season (2006 I believe?), Okafor worked with Hakeem Olajuwon to try and develop his post game.... yes, long before Stoudemire, LeBron or even Kobe. Okafor could not handle the footwork sequences and apparently would be found on the FLOOR after tripping on his own feet.

He's a great guy, but no thank you. Okafor has Phil-Jackson-Guy written all over him: smart, prides himself in defense/rebounding, and likes to read. But for D'Antoni? He'll be riding the pine. He is FAR less useful than Pau in this system.

And Ariza can't shoot, I hate to break it to ya. Like khmrP said, Ariza never had a shooting touch to begin with, he just got hot at the right time, and he cashed in on it. I'm all for a homecoming, Ariza + MDA is an interesting thought - but if it costs Pau, no thank you. Pau can fetch us far more than that.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
User avatar
purp n gold

 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:39 am

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 pm

D'Antoni mentioned in his radio interview that he will make pau's skill set work in his offense, but ideally and hypothetically a player like Shawn Marion who can shoot the 3 would be perfect.

Who in the league fits that description? Just curious. Bosh, Durant, Lebron, Love, but he's not athletic enough. Who else? Anyone that would actually be a plausible trade target?
Image
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
User avatar
Punk-101

 
Posts: 13265
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Orange, CA

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Punk-101 wrote:D'Antoni mentioned in his radio interview that he will make pau's skill set work in his offense, but ideally and hypothetically a player like Shawn Marion who can shoot the 3 would be perfect.

Who in the league fits that description? Just curious. Bosh, Durant, Lebron, Love, but he's not athletic enough. Who else? Anyone that would actually be a plausible trade target?

Batum & Paul George are the guys I hope we target for Pau to play that Marion role.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:D'Antoni mentioned in his radio interview that he will make pau's skill set work in his offense, but ideally and hypothetically a player like Shawn Marion who can shoot the 3 would be perfect.

Who in the league fits that description? Just curious. Bosh, Durant, Lebron, Love, but he's not athletic enough. Who else? Anyone that would actually be a plausible trade target?

Batum & Paul George are the guys I hope we target for Pau to play that Marion role.

indiana or portland would be idiots to make that trade
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 am

just play ebanks and we wont have to worry about backup SF's. i really think he can help our bench and probably would have given us something tonight when no one else did.
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4701
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby noobiew on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:06 am

How about to seek a trade with the New Orleans Hornets, Pau Gasol for Ryan Anderson & combo guard Greivis Vasquez

Unlike Pau Gasol, Ryan Anderson is a true stretch 4 which could knock down 3 pointers in a consistent basic, Dwight needs to play with a stretch 4 to be successful and Ryan Anderson would be a perfect fit next to Dwight, this duo already proven in Orlando the pair worked & compensate each other very well, not to mention Anderson is also fit in perfectly and would polish under D'Antoni system.

Why would New Orleans Hornets do this, Pau Gasol is still a very solid big men in the league just being misused currently, you swap their starting center Robin Lopez with Pau Gasol and this would be an instant upgrade to the Hornets. Pau would automatically become their team best player and would be able to work inside the paint to maximize his skill-set, and unlike with Dwight, Gasol would be a good fit with rookie Anthony Davis, he can also bring leadership and help Davis to develop his game long term.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
User avatar
noobiew

 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 am

they aren't giving up vasquez. guy is their only legit pg and is having a career year so far.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:20 am

ugh. trade pau already. this guy was running on empty since 2011.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9920
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm


Sources: Derek Fisher nears return


Updated: November 28, 2012, 7:49 PM ET
By Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com
40
80
105
Email
Print


Veteran point guard Derek Fisher is close to signing with an NBA team, sources told ESPN.com.





Fisher

Fisher has decided to make his return to the league after not finding a suitable situation over the summer.

He's narrowed his choices to three teams and is expected to make a decision by Thursday. He's been searching for a role with a contender.

Fisher averaged 5.6 points and 2.7 assists in 63 games with the Los Angeles Lakers and Oklahoma City Thunder last season. He averaged 6.3 points for the Thunder in the playoffs.
Derek Fisher is expected to sign with an NBA team in the next 2-3 days, according to ESPN.com.
Fisher was used a lot more than almost anyone expected last year by Scott Brooks and we'd doubt he'd be able to play 20 minutes per game again. The 38-year-old guard can be left on the waiver wire in all leagues.


Lakers???? jk.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
User avatar
Balance&Options24

 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby revgen on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:14 pm

No.

We have a roster full of AARP players. We need more youth.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21735
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Weezy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Please don't let it be us. Love Fisher, but we don't need to revisit that time, we don't need to get older at that position, our starter is also 38. I'm pretty sure it's not us though, as he's looking to sign with a contender
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Just please don't sign with a contender that we'll see in the Western Conference come playoff time. I just get scared he can and will take the big shots if need be.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11704
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Please, please, pleeeeeeeease let it not be us. Our rotation is already embarrassing enough as is.
User avatar
Frank Dux

 
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:23 pm

It's going to be us, after we trade Pau + the plethora of PG's we have. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.