Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Vlade_12 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:02 am

Gasol just keeps going down the older he gets. Williams would be more potential at this point. He has another good game of 14 pts off the bench, and 11 boards. He is still young and is a stretch 4. Could thrive playing next to Dwight for years. Williams might never be the man of a team, but he could develop to a nice 2/3 option for a team in the future. He is still very young, and plenty of players took a little while in the league before they started to peak. What are you guys thinking, we are going to take on alot of salary with Gasols expiring? JJ Barea is one of the best back up points in the league. Shved is a nice young swingman who would be a nice role player for years. Trade wouldnt be that bad at all, considering Gasol looks done
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby Vlade_12 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 am

POINT GUARDS: Mike Bibby, Earl Boykins, Anthony Carter, Sherron Collins, Will Conroy, Antonio Daniels, Justin Dentmon, Jonny Flynn, Courtney Fortson, Eddie Gill, Vernon Hamilton, Troy Hudson, Shelvin Mack, Scott Machado, Brian Morrison, Jannero Pargo, Chris Quinn, Walker Russell and Maalik Wayns.

SHOOTING GUARDS: Antonio Anderson, Kelenna Azubuike, Rodney Carney, Matt Carroll, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Dion Dowell, Andre Emmett, Maurice Evans, Andrew Goudelock, Stephen Graham, Terrel Harris, Cory Higgins, Eddie House, Josh Howard, Larry Hughes, Marko Jaric, Othyus Jeffers, Trey Johnson, Darius Johnson-Odom, Tarence Kinsey, Dwight Lewis, Travis Leslie, Dwayne Mitchell, Michael Redd, Quentin Richardson, Xavier Silas, Chris Smith, Dar Tucker, Willie Warren, Kyle Weaver and Sam Young.

SMALL FORWARDS: Da'Sean Butler, Josh Childress, Joey Graham, Mike Harris, Lazar Hayward, Damion James, JaJuan Johnson, Kris Joseph, DJ Kennedy, Jamario Moon, Adam Morrison, Larry Owens, Bobby Simmons, Al Thornton, Alando Tucker, Bill Walker and Shawne Williams.

POWER FORWARDS: Keith Benson, Josh Boone, Brian Cardinal, Brian Cook, Josh Davis, Eric Dawson, Luke Harangody, Dennis Horner, Juwan Howard, Darnell Jackson, Solomon Jones, Antonio McDyess, Mikki Moore, Troy Murphy, Magnum Rolle, Jamal Sampson, Samardo Samuels, Walter Sharpe, DaJuan Summers, Etan Thomas, Jordan Williams, Sean Williams and Chris Wright.

CENTERS: Chris Andersen, Earl Barron, Tony Battie, Brian Butch, Jarron Collins, Marcus Cousin, Erick Dampier, Jordan Eglseder, Jarrid Famous, Dan Gadzuric, Mickell Gladness, Josh Harrellson, Chris Hunter, Didier Ilunga-Mbenga, Chris Johnson, Dwayne Jones, Jerome Jordan, Brad Miller, Randolph Morris, Hamady Ndiaye, Greg Oden, Jarvis Varnado, Ben Wallace and Hassan Whiteside.

I wonder if we bring in a 15th man.. I actually would hold on to Gasol, but who knows what Mitch has up his sleeve. I still think we could use a swingman who can shoot and play defensive with good BBALL IQ, that is quick. Or a quick point, but I doubt we add a PG

SF
Chris Douglas Roberts, Michael Redd(one of the all time great shooters), Q Richardson, Bill Walker, Terrence Williams

PG
Bobby Brown

potential players up for trade that could help swingman (not messing up the 2014 plan) Ebanks dealt(minor move)
Francisco Garcia, Tyler Honeycut, Trevor Ariza, Casspi
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:13 pm

The Lakers have until January 15 to request a disabled players exception for Jordan Hill. If granted the team
would gain an exception worth half of Jordan's $3.56 million salary. So $1.78 million that can be used to sign a player outright - although it can only be used on a one-year deal.

Addtionally it can be used in trade - the Lakers would be able to acquire a player making up to $1.88 million without sending any salary out - although by new rules, the player coming in can only be on a one-year deal.

There's no guarantee the team applies for it - no guarantee the league grants it - but if the Lakers were interested, they only have a few days to put it in.
Ariza3

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:02 pm

I wish we would just go out and sign Martin and West.

A lineup of......West/Kobe/MWP/Martin/D12......would at least slow people down and give us a chance to win a few ball games, through actually playing defense and not just outscoring people.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:51 pm

we should be able to. when were at $130 whats another 1.4 vet min x2 for them. Clark has been a pleasant surprise but has not played enough to prove the consistency hill brought everynight...a tough act to follow. Martin would be a proven inside presence who is desperately looking for work and West a solid perimeter defender and scorer who is also desperately looking for work and a way to redeem himself from the rumors surrounding his time in Dallas.

chemistry comes with winning and time spent playing together. we havent had either so why not bring them in and build the chemistry with the team complete, no more additions or trades.

Nash/Delonte
Kobe/Meeks
MWP/Clark
Pau/Jamison
Dwight/Martin

With the Clipper's second unit playing Odom at center and the league playing PF at C theres no reason Martin or Clark cant play backup C for us as well as Pau sliding over for some units.
Ariza3

Postby Vlade_12 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:25 am

Martin wouldn't be a bad pick up. I still like Clark more

Clark and either Kenyon or Antawn as back up 4

I don't think West would be much of upgrade.

This summer I hope we are able to ship out Gasol for a young player with potential
Tyreke Evans, Derrik Williams or even a first round pick(Top Ten)
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 am

Delonte West isn't that much of an upgrade? :man3:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kenzo on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 am

Doc Brown wrote:Delonte West isn't that much of an upgrade? :man3:

+1... even though it got me thinking -> why isn't this guy signed already? :man3: Maybe there is something we fans don't know about.
kenzo

J.J. Redick Drawing Trade Interest From Several Teams

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:05 am

J.J. Redick Drawing Trade Interest From Several Teams

Rob Hennigan has informed J.J. Redick that several teams have an active interest in trading for him.

"First of all, you have to hope that there’s another team that wants you because there are never any guarantees there," Redick said. "The way I approach things and the way I have been approaching things recently is to just focus on the day. I do feel overwhelmed at times if I try to picture myself a month from now (at the trade deadline) or six months from now in free agency. It’s just not worth worrying right now.

"At the (trade) deadline, maybe there’s an offer that (GM) Rob (Hennigan) has to consider. But I don’t get any indication from him that they are actively looking to move me," Redick continued. "So if I’m here past the deadline, that’s the first hurdle."

Redick, 28, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton-re ... eer-future
Kobe8Fan

Scouts Advice Bobcats To Trade 2013 Draft Pick

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 am

Scouts Advice Bobcats To Trade 2013 Draft Pick

By Rick Bonnell
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Sunday, Jan. 13, 2013

The 2012 NBA draft was good, not great.

It had one can’t-miss prospect (New Orleans big man Anthony Davis), another quick-emerging star (Portland point guard Damian Lillard) and a bunch of guys who’ll be solid contributors with lengthy careers.

If two NBA scouts who travel the country each college basketball season are right, the 2013 draft won’t come close to that.

The Observer consulted with two long-time scouts (neither connected to the Charlotte Bobcats) as conference seasons commence in the college game. Each works for a team likely to have a top-10 pick. Each spoke on condition of anonymity because neither is authorized by his employer to speak publicly on draft prospects.

While the two conversations were separate, each conveyed the same conclusion: This isn’t the year a franchise-changer will emerge from the draft process

“I don’t think this is a good draft,” said one scout. “This is the year you should consider trading your draft pick – no matter where it is.”

That could be important in Charlotte, where the Bobcats at 9-24 look like they’ll miss the playoffs for the eighth time in nine seasons.

At their current place in the standings, the Bobcats would avoid turning their 2013 pick over to the Chicago Bulls to complete the Tyrus Thomas trade. Also, the Bobcats could end up with an extra first-round pick if the Portland Trail Blazers selection is outside the top 12, completing the Gerald Wallace trade.

It sounds unlikely the Bobcats or any other lottery-bound team would find a difference-maker in 2013.

“The draft lottery was always supposed to be about exceptional players going to the worst teams,” said one of the scouts. “We’ve eroded the concept of ‘exceptional’ – exceptional doesn’t really exist anymore.”

Both scouts say that erosion can be traced to the so-called “one-and-done” rule that governs draft eligibility. Under the collective-bargaining agreement, U.S. players can’t be in the draft until they’re at least one season removed from their high school graduating class.

The unintended consequence of that, these scouts say, is players with pro aspirations now consider one season of college ball the maximum they should stay.

“Now they think one season is the ceiling, not just the floor,” one scout said. “That creates a problem.”

The problem, both said, is while this is better than kids turning pro out of high school, you’re still using high picks on players a long way from finished products. The days when a Tim Duncan, Grant Hill or Chris Mullin entered the NBA, with a clear understanding of how those players would fit, are long over.

To describe this dynamic’s effect, one scout mentioned UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad and projected him hypothetically with the Bobcats. He mentioned that while Muhammad will be a high pick, he is flawed and inexperienced and would be redundant to much of what Michael Kidd-Gilchrist already provides the Bobcats.

“That’s what we all do,” the scout concluded. “We draft guys who are a lot like the ones we already have, only the guys we already have are better at least right now.

“But these guys are younger, so we get excited in the moment. And then you come to realize you haven’t changed much with your high pick.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... bcats.html
Kobe8Fan

Source: Rudy Gay Likely To Stay With Grizzlies This Season

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am

Source: Rudy Gay Likely To Stay With Grizzlies This Season

By Ronald Tillery
Posted January 13, 2013 at 7:32 p.m.

There is plenty of talk about the Grizzlies and by the Grizzlies these days as it relates to the immediate future of key players and head coach Lionel Hollins.

However, members of the team's new ownership group and front office continue to remain quiet — at least publicly.

Griz CEO Jason Levien declined to comment when asked recently about persistent reports that the team is shopping Rudy Gay and gauging the value of other core players such as Zach Randolph.

It's true that the franchise's mode of operation is now predicated on a delicate and tricky task of trying to sustain winning while addressing financial concerns.

It is true that Griz brass has spoken to every team in the NBA about their roster over the past month. That league tour by the team's new management has produced daily rumors about possible deals, most of which involve Gay.

It's also true that the Griz have shown no desire to simply give away their top talent, according to sources with knowledge of the team's mild trade discussions. Although Levien has chosen not to respond publicly to the rampant speculation, he has talked to Gay and his representative.

According to a person with knowledge of those conversations, Gay is likely to remain a Grizzly through the end of this season. The message to Gay at the moment is that if he is dealt by the league's Feb. 21 trade deadline, then the Griz will have been offered a no-brainer scenario.

For example, the Griz have entertained the Washington Wizards' offer for Gay. The crux of that exchange would have the Griz receiving rookie shooting guard Bradley Beal in a larger package. The proposals for Randolph have been even weaker.

None of the potential deals has merit because they aren't believed to be strong enough to keep the Griz on their current pace.

Memphis (24-11) stands fourth in the Western Conference standings. The Griz are just two games behind San Antonio for the Southwest Division lead and 3½ games behind Oklahoma City for the West's top spot.

Gay and Randolph are the Grizzlies' highest-paid players. Each will earn about $16.5 million this season and both players are due more than $17 million for the 2013-14 campaign. The reality is that one of them will be traded in the next two years because Griz ownership doesn't want to be a repeat luxury-tax payer — something that is more punitive in the league's new collective bargaining agreement.

Memphis will have a $4 million luxury tax bill for this season unless it sheds salary.

Finances could be a factor in several decisions by the Grizzlies' new ownership group, which is made up of more than 50 people. In fairness, former Griz owner Michael Heisley gave Gay a maximum-salary contract and Gay simply might not be worth the money to his new bosses.

Meanwhile, Hollins is coaching the final year of his contract without knowing where the organization is leaning with regard to a new deal. Hollins, the team's all-time winningest coach with a 10-10 playoff record, surely will seek a raise from his $2 million salary.

There have been no concrete talks about a contract extension between the Griz and Hollins' agent, Warren LeGarie.

While Levien and his newly assembled management team have been routinely visible and graciously accessible, Griz principal owner Robert Pera is only known to have attended two games. Pera last saw the Griz play Wednesday when they finished a three-game trip with a win at Golden State. Pera also sat courtside in FedExForum for the Grizzlies' home opener against Utah on Nov. 5.

He's had little to no contact with the players, coaching staff or media.

The reserved style is a departure from what Griz fans were used to during Heisley's ownership. Heisley was known for his regular interaction with players and coaches, and his public discourse regarding any issue facing the team on and off the court.

That was then.

Now, with Hollins' future suspect and trade winds blowing hard around players, there is absolute quiet from Pera and Levien's perch at the top as a reasonable question looms: What kind of storm — if any — might be coming?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... m-as-blow/
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:25 am

:man6:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Tayshaun Prince Assured Pistons Won't Include Him In Trade D

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:40 am

Tayshaun Prince Assured Pistons Won't Include Him In Trade Discussions

Tayshaun Prince has been assured the Detroit Pistons won’t field trade offers for him, and the two sides have “never” discussed dealing Prince, agent Bill Duffy told RealGM in an extended feature profile.

“I know there are a lot of contending teams that I can help,” Prince told RealGM. “But right now, this is the team I have to help. Everybody wants to be in the position where they have a chance of winning a championship every year, but obviously it doesn’t work that way.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... iscussions
Kobe8Fan

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Looks like they will be 19 and 27 by the end of the month.

Will they concede the season then?

With Mia, Utah, Chicago, OKC, and Memphis on the schedule in the next two weeks, plus the Bucks, who have a winning record, I just don't get why a move hasnt been made, even if just to add West or Martin.

The stuborness of Jim Buss is at new levels. If they want to make a run, they should have added new players for depth now or shaken things up with a trade -- esp West to back up Nash.

This is another tough stretch and the season may be over by next weekend if nothing is done. Crazy and stupid.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Vlade_12 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:53 pm

I don't care for West

Martin makes sense since Hill is out. I still think our bigger need is a back up SF because like Mike D thinks Ebanks is not a factor and Barnes is gone. I could see us signing a FA post trade deadline. I think Mitch might have a minor deal up his shelve for a forward of some sort. Deadline is a little over a month away Feb. 21
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:50 am

Two things are apparent from our last two games:

1. Some sort of athletic, energetic PF helps us tri-fold on defense with the starters. Earl Clark has been a great fit.

2. Our bench STILL needs a player who can create his own shot and score. All of our bench are primarily role players. A Lamar, Harden, Ginobili type.

We need to find THAT player in a move for Pau. Who that is, I don't have a clearcut player in mind, but that's what we need.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Two things are apparent from our last two games:

1. Some sort of athletic, energetic PF helps us tri-fold on defense with the starters. Earl Clark has been a great fit.

2. Our bench STILL needs a player who can create his own shot and score. All of our bench are primarily role players. A Lamar, Harden, Ginobili type.

We need to find THAT player in a move for Pau. Who that is, I don't have a clearcut player in mind, but that's what we need.

Monta/Gooden/future draft for Pau. I know Monta didn't look particulary to good last nite :man10: but give him free reign over the 2nd unit and we have our version of Jamal Crawford. I was surprised to see Godden riding the bench, he sucks I guess but could be a good backup PF, alternative to Jamison if/when his shots starts missing again.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 am

Sacramento would be a great team to trade with. They are loaded with people that we need aka bench scorers.

Brooks/Thornton/Evans/Salmons/Hayes....

I'd take on Salmons/Hayes contracts just to get one of the 3 perimeter players.

Backup Center, backup SF, bench scorer....

C'mon Kings sell that team, move to Seattle and have a fire sale. :man10:
Doc Brown

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 am

Amnesty Steve Blake? If Amnestied, sign Tyrus Thomas, Charlie Villanueva, Drew Gooden or Francisco Garcia? Named these guys cause they're not getting any playing time.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

I think our needs have been distilled to a pretty clear list:

(assuming a Pau trade)

PG: Nash......and absolute garbage. We need a capable packup PG, either an all-around vet like a Ridnour, or a young point machine like a Brooks.

SG: Kobe....and Meeks and Morris are not too bad. I think we're set.

SF: MWP, Kobe, Clark, Jamison. It's really filling the position by committee. I think we really need a young athletic STARTING SF that can shoot, so MWP can move to the backup stretch 4.

PF: Clark, Jamison, MWP. I think we're set here.

C: Howard......and NOTHING. We need a backup center for 10-15mpg. Nothing flashy, just a solid backup that's better than Sacre.

Backup pg, starting sf (or maybe a backup sf that can create his own shot), and a backup C for Pau.

Any ideas?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:00 pm

I already had one:

Gasol/duhon for dalembert/udrih/mbah a moute
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Gasol /Blake for Kirilenko/Pekovic/Ridnour or Love/Ridnour or Monta Ellis/Dalembert
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Gasol /Blake for Kirilenko/Pekovic/Ridnour or Love/Ridnour or Monta Ellis/Dalembert

I like em all, dont think Minn will give up Pek with Love being out, they'll need Pek/Pau to playe together but Dwill and pick would be fine by me :jam2:
khmrP

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Lots of grumblings in these parts about Lowry being overpaid/over-hyped, injury prone, and not a good fit for future plans.

Andrea (soft, I know, but still a stretch 4 who can run and cut to the basket) and Lowry for Gasol and Duhon?

This gives Toronto more flexability for the next two years in terms of salary, esp with Jose expiring (and maybe Jose takes a cut to come back and play with Gasol next year). Also give Toronto a big to see how Gasol fits and plays in a new environment, or if not, a huge expiring next year.

They want to trade Lowry or Jose this year for sure, esp. since they won't make the playoffs again.

Lowry getting 24 mins a game with this team would be beyond perfect -- good back up to Nash, great PG defender, and can play some mins (4 to 6 per game) at shooting guard (or Nash can) like the Bucks do with Jennings and Monta or Denver does with Miller and Lawson. Also reduced Nash's minutes to 28-30 per game.
[I know, having 26 million locked for PGs -- Nash, Lowry, and Blake -- is a little nutso, but it fills HUGE voids - back up for Nash, bench scorer, and small-guard defender to help preserve Kobe]. Lowry would fit well with Howard, Clark, and Meeks]

Andrea -- see how he does with Dwight and MDA (he may flourish), especially as a 3rd and 4th option.
Sign Martin to back up Howard for 14 mins a game.

Nash, Lowry, Blake
Kobe, Lowry, Meeks, Morris
Artest, Kobe, Ebanks, Jamison
Bargnani, Clark, Jamison, Ron
Howard, Martin, Sacre (with Hill coming back for next year -- though he should be moved in the summer for a wing scorer/defender since he is too innury prone)
tigerjeterkobe

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Lowry is a good player but dude wants to start, that is why he was unhappy when he was in Hou and lost his starting job to Dragic when he returned from an injury.
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion