Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:13 pm

UPDATE: While Josh Smith's agent Wallace Prather hasn't made a trade request on behalf of his client, multiple sources tell Ken Berger of the CBSSports.com that "the Hawks have engaged in some trade conversations regarding Smith."

The topic of Smith's future with the Hawks won't go away, and it's safe to say that it is starting to look less likely than it did even a couple weeks ago.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:21 pm

F***ING GO MITCH!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Mitch,

do it.

:deal:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 am

my gut tells me Josh Smith is our target. He does everything Clark does and does it equally or much better. He's Dwight's best friend and while both are free agents, they'd surely love to play together- great compliments, good chemistry off the court, etc. what better place to do it for the next decade then in LA. I could not see them both being Lakers and then deciding to go elsewhere. Unless they feel like Dirk/Mayo can lead them to a ring, more financial success, and a much better lifestyle.

Dwight/Sacre/(Hill)
Smith/Jamison
Artest/Clark/Ebanks
Kobe/Meeks/Morris
Nash/(Blake)/Duhon

that team is a much better fit.
Center Court

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Nikola Pekovic - C - Timberwolves Nikola Pekovic will be out for 7-10 days with a quad injury.
The Timberwolves have been granted an injury exception to sign a free agent to a 10-day contract, and Pekovic is just the latest injury on a team filled with them. The Wolves current injury list consists of: Kevin Love (hand), Alexey Shved (ankle), Malcolm Lee (hip surgery, knee surgery), Brandon Roy (knee surgery), Chase Budinger (knee surgery) and now Pekovic with his quad injury, not to mention Josh Howard who tore his ACL earlier in the year and was released. Greg Stiemsma will be thrust into a starting role unless the Wolves go with an ultra-small lineup.

Maybe T-wolves would start getting desperate. Initiate a three way deal.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm

If they own their pick I would think they'd rather tank than trade for Pau at this point.
lakersin4

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Balance&Options24 wrote:
Nikola Pekovic - C - Timberwolves Nikola Pekovic will be out for 7-10 days with a quad injury.
The Timberwolves have been granted an injury exception to sign a free agent to a 10-day contract, and Pekovic is just the latest injury on a team filled with them. The Wolves current injury list consists of: Kevin Love (hand), Alexey Shved (ankle), Malcolm Lee (hip surgery, knee surgery), Brandon Roy (knee surgery), Chase Budinger (knee surgery) and now Pekovic with his quad injury, not to mention Josh Howard who tore his ACL earlier in the year and was released. Greg Stiemsma will be thrust into a starting role unless the Wolves go with an ultra-small lineup.

Pek, Dwill to ATL
Smith, Ridnour to LA
Gasol, Blake to MIN

DO IT MITCHELL!
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Wolves to trade for a big man?
January, 18, 2013
JAN 18
4:08
PM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Per 1500ESPN.com's Darren Wolfson, Minnesota Timberwolves president David Kahn has been attempting to acquire a big man.

"Kahn was aggressively working the phone Wednesday and Thursday way more than normal for mid-January and is making some progress on a trade. The source said it's for more of a big guy, not a wing," he wrote.

"The most likely player to be sent elsewhere is forward Derrick Williams. Multiple team and league sources say he's being shopped heavily."
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:07 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
Balance&Options24 wrote:

Pek, Dwill to ATL
Smith, Ridnour to LA
Gasol, Blake to MIN

DO IT MITCHELL!

???? They only have 9 healthy players and you expect them to trade 3 players (one dinged now) for often injured Gasol a dn currently hobbled Blake?????

Not happening. Bargnani and Lowry for Gasol and Duhon or Morris is still one I prefer. Lowry gives us bench scoring and an attack guy to help us break down an opponent's D and get the ball to our bigs. Andrea is a better stretch 4 than Gasol and can give us the same numbers - 12 and 8.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Toronto is not giving us Lowry. It's Bargs and Calderon, and neither of those guys solve our problems.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:14 pm

^ Bargnani has never sniffed 8 rebounds in his career. His best rebounding performance is 6.2 per game. 6.2! That's pathetic! I don't want that piece of crap anywhere near this team.

Minny has openly expressed their desire for Pau and they might be the last ones to do so. They're the ideal trading partner.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 pm

The question is what could minn offer atl, cause i want smoove?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Punk-101 wrote:The question is what could minn offer atl, cause i want smoove?

Well not too long ago they were offering Pek and Williams. After Pek's great start, I doubt he's available any more... If they really truly wanted Gasol, they'd have to part with either Pek or Kirilenko...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:24 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Well not too long ago they were offering Pek and Williams. After Pek's great start, I doubt he's available any more... If they really truly wanted Gasol, they'd have to part with either Pek or Kirilenko...

Pek, Williams to atl
Gasol to minn
Smoove, zaza to la

?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm

I agree that bargs is soft and not a good rebounder. Disagree about lowry. All we hear around here is that he is unhappy and won't stay - starter or not. Wants to be back in US in a warm climate.

As for minny - ok. But they need bodies. If they trade Pek while injured they lose the 10-day sign option. So we would send them 2 of Morris, Ebanks, Meeks, Duhon, Clark or Sacre with Gasol. Think Kahn would want Gasol and either Clark or Jamison? Why don't they just sign Martin?
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm

If we somehow end up with Smith/Korver or Smith/Morrow.....

We will be a solid team.

Please Mitch have one more trick up your sleeve.
Doc Brown

Postby thisbjgz on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm

I really don't buy too much into Smith getting us over the top though. He's not Exactly a deadeye shooter. Isn't what we missing a Forward who can stretch the floor and play some defense? Utah is in a dilemma and I'd love for Mitch to pull off some three way involving Millsap seeing how Utah has no need for Pau
thisbjgz

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Well Real, you may very well turn out to be right about your Gasol prediction - gonzo today or tomorrow.

Last night (and last week against Den, OKC, and Hou) showed them (FO) exaclty where they are weak in contending for a title. Still need to adress back up PG (West? Flynn?) But finding a better Clark (Smith) will do wonders for defense and wins - not to mention keeping Howard. Would it be too good to be true??
:bow:
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Pek, Williams to atl
Gasol to minn
Smoove, zaza to la

?

That's pretty much the deal I've been hoping for. Hopefully Minne doesn't insist on keeping Pek, but I could still see ATL going for Dwill2 + AK + Pieces.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Well Real, you may very well turn out to be right about your Gasol prediction - gonzo today or tomorrow.

Last night (and last week against Den, OKC, and Hou) showed them (FO) exaclty where they are weak in contending for a title. Still need to adress back up PG (West? Flynn?) But finding a better Clark (Smith) will do wonders for defense and wins - not to mention keeping Howard. Would it be too good to be true??
:bow:

Well I think the nails in the coffin are his quotes coming out now. "I won't go to the bench","It's not something I will consider", I mean these are just death sentences.

One thing the Lakers FO doesn't deal with is insubordination and uncooperative people.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Ba Ba Ba BUT -- he is not only a starter. He considers himself a "STAR" Starter on a contending team. :man10: :man10:

Yeah, you never really heard these sorts of jabs and selfish statements from him before. Reading between the lines, he is doing his own PR to brace for a trade and spin it that he wants to be a starter, was sick of being the scapegoat in LA, was not appreciated for his championship contributions, and looks forward to going to a team that plays together, etc. He will have jabs for MDA and Kobe, no doubt.

Damn. Now I will be refreshing this page every 10 minutes all weekend. :bang:
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 pm

By Eric Pincus
January 18, 2013, 5:00 p.m.
The Lakers have reportedly shown interest in Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham.

According to Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com, "Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak is said to have called the Wolves recently about forward Dante Cunningham."

Cunningham is a 6-foot-8, 25-year-old forward who averages 7.4 points and 5.5 rebounds a game this season.

There's no word as to who or what Kupchak offered in return but Cunningham has a $2.09-million salary.

"With a reasonable $2.1 million team option for 2013-14, Cunningham won't be easy to get," according to 1500ESPN.com. Technically it's $2.18 million. The Timberwolves are reportedly looking to add size to their roster.

Minnesota has been linked to Pau Gasol in the past but there's no suggestion yet from the Lakers they're ready to make a major move.

The trade deadline is Feb. 21.

I've always liked him. Another one of those Hill/Clark guys that Mitch scoops up, puts them in a perfect role and they thrive.
Doc Brown

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:32 pm

How the heck can that deal even happen? Pau makes 17 million more than Cunningham.....maybe Love is involved? :man12:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:42 pm

^ :man1: :man12:

....but what about his broken hand? And would that mean we are officially conceding the season?
Chillbongo

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 pm

I used to be against the Smith trade at the beginning of the season, because I believed in Pau. I also was not sure about what kind of talent we actually need with the Princeton offense etc. But now I see that Pau is not playing that well with this Laker team and his attitude is getting worse. On the other hand -- after seeing Nash setting people up, Kobe and Dwight playing well, Metta/Clark being solid contributors and someone from the bench is usually playing well too (Meeks, Jamison, Morris) -- I don't think we necessarily need a dead eye shooting forward. Our offense is doing fine, sometimes even great! But having an athletic wing who can score in different ways, and most importantly someone who can play with energy, can run, can jump and is willing to play D and block shots? Now, that's something that would make us a lot better. If we can get that for Pau, and perhaps a backup shooter and/or big... that would be terrific.

As soon as people start playing with urgency (defense+offensive rebounds) -- our team immediately looks better. There's no denying that.

Smith is a good player. He's a 17/8/3 guy. The only problem here is that he would make our FT% absolutely horrific.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion