Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: 3 Bigs injured, do we shop at KMart?

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 am

I wouldn't trade Hill, you don't just go out and find someone who gives you as much hustle and production as he does easily, especially in the limited minutes he plays and for that price. Jordan Hill is one of the last players I trade, he's a great piece for the future and you'll never get equal value so why do it?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 am

Weezy wrote:I wouldn't trade Hill, you don't just go out and find someone who gives you as much hustle and production as he does easily, especially in the limited minutes he plays and for that price. Jordan Hill is one of the last players I trade, he's a great piece for the future and you'll never get equal value so why do it?

gasol+hill for love.

:man12:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:I wouldn't trade Hill, you don't just go out and find someone who gives you as much hustle and production as he does easily, especially in the limited minutes he plays and for that price. Jordan Hill is one of the last players I trade, he's a great piece for the future and you'll never get equal value so why do it?

gasol+hill for love.

:man12:

Throw in AK & I'm with you.
lakersin4

Postby purp n gold on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 pm

Gasol for Stuckey, Maxiel & Drummond
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Source: Brandon Jennings Has 'Irreconcilable Differences' With Bucks And Wants To Play For A Bigger Market

Brandon Jennings has "irreconcilable differences" with the Milwaukee Bucks, according to one source.

Jennings is frustrated that he was unable to come to terms with the Bucks on a long-term extension, according to sources.

Jennings is also interested in playing in a bigger market.

The Bucks would be able to match any offer sheet Jennings signs this offseason should they not trade him.

Jennings recently changed agents and either wants to be traded before the deadline, or to sign an offer sheet with a rival team in the summer that is difficult for the Bucks to match.

The Dallas Mavericks, Orlando Magic and Atlanta Hawks are viewed as the three most likely destinations for Jennings.

Jennings refuted the report in comments to ESPN's Chris Broussard.

"That is not true," said Jennings. "That stuff never came out of my mouth."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... yers-block
Kobe8Fan

Mavericks Interested In Brandon Jennings

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Mavericks Interested In Brandon Jennings

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Mavs, I'm told, do have interest in Brandon Jennings and will be in mix for him if Bucks opt to make RFA-to-be available b4 Feb. 21 deadline

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 0743874560
Kobe8Fan

76ers Not Interested In Josh Smith Deal

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:57 pm

76ers Not Interested In Josh Smith Deal

John N. Mitchell, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 2:24 AM

MILWAUKEE - Websites have speculated about a possible trade that would send Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes to Atlanta for soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Josh Smith, but such a deal would not interest the 76ers, according to two league sources with knowledge of the situation.

"Why would the Sixers be interested in making a deal for a player who can walk at the end of the season and leave them holding nothing but the bag?" one source said. "I don't see where that makes sense for them."

Although the Sixers would acquire Smith's Larry Bird rights - meaning they could sign him to a more lucrative deal than any other team - they would have no guarantee that Smith would re-sign with them.

The 6-foot-9 small forward is in his ninth season with the Hawks and in the final year of a five-year, $58 million contract. The word coming out of Atlanta is that Smith almost certainly will not re-sign with the Hawks.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... s_say.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 pm

GM's Convinced Hawks Have Ruled Out Keeping Josh Smith Long-Term

Danny Ferry and the Atlanta Hawks have ruled out signing Josh Smith to a new deal in the offseason, according to three rival general managers.

The GMs are convinced that Ferry will be aggressive in moving Smith before the deadline.

The best offer the Hawks are believed to have received for Smith has been Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks from the Brooklyn Nets. But that offer is unlikely to make the Hawks budge.

"Danny's a Spur,'' one rival executive said, referring to Ferry's past work in San Antonio's front office. "So he won't give him away, but if someone comes with a good offer, Josh Smith is gone. I don't think Danny takes the Nets' deal. I think someone has to do better than that.''

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... -jefferson
Kobe8Fan

Bobcats Increasingly Motivated To Trade Ben Gordon

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Bobcats Increasingly Motivated To Trade Ben Gordon

By Adrian Wojnarowski

After a bout of disruptive behavior from Ben Gordon targeted at Charlotte Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap, the franchise's desire to trade the guard has deepened, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

As Dunlap led the Bobcats in a morning shootaround on Monday before a victory over the Celtics, Gordon refused Dunlap's request to stop bouncing a ball as the coach spoke, sources said. Before long, Gordon began baiting Dunlap, telling him that he needed to "humble himself," sources said.

Gordan refused to give the ball to Dunlap, and eventually tossed it toward a ball rack, sources said.

Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins was in the practice session and ultimately intervened, sources said.

"Beyond disrespectful," was how one league source described the scene.

The front office didn't suspend Gordon, a decision sources said was based in part on the belief the incident would diminish his trade value so close to the league's deadline next Thursday. The Brooklyn Nets are still mulling an offer to trade forward Kris Humphries for Gordon, but have thus far been unmoved over the possibility Gordon can make an impact for them, sources said.

For now, the Nets are searching elsewhere, believing they can always go back and accept the Gordon deal at the deadline. Gordon's performance has steadily fallen this season, including an unproductive 14 minutes against the Celtics that included missing five of six shots.

Gordon makes $12.4 million this season and $13.2 million in 2013-14. The Detroit Pistons traded Gordon to the Bobcats in June.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sourc ... 57267.html
Kobe8Fan

Mavericks, Warriors and Rockets Interested In Eric Gordon

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Mavericks, Warriors and Rockets Interested In Eric Gordon

By Chris Broussard | ESPN Insider

With the trade deadline just a week away, there's plenty of talking going on around the league. Most of the discussions will lead to nothing, and much of what you hear as a reporter is not worthy of a full-fledged story. But scuttlebutt is interesting nonetheless and can give you an idea of what teams are thinking and what they might seek to do in the future.

So here's what I'm hearing. I'm emptying the notebook this week to share what's blowing in the trade winds right now.

We all know Eric Gordon wanted to sign with Phoenix last summer and many around the league believe he would still rather not be in New Orleans. That's prompted several clubs to call the Hornets about Gordon's availability. Those calls, in turn, led New Orleans to start calling around to gauge Gordon's trade value.

So would New Orleans trade him?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... -jefferson
Kobe8Fan

Greg Oden Leaning Toward Signing With Cavaliers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Greg Oden Leaning Toward Signing With Cavaliers

By Sam Amico

It has been more than two years since Greg Oden last played in the NBA, but he never retired.

And when the former No. 1 pick makes himself available, people stand up and take notice -- scrambled eggs for knees or not.

Especially when that player is Oden, a 7-footer who once dominated the college game in his lone season at Ohio State.

Oden showed some serious flashes in the NBA, too. Portland selected him with the top draft pick in 2007, and in the rare moments of good health, he made an instant impact defensively. Also, in his final game with the Trail Blazers (Dec. 1, 2009), Oden snared 20 rebounds.

But, as you probably know, Oden has undergone three microfracture knee surgeries. He played in just a total of 82 games with Portland -- or the equivalent of one season.

He’s now back at Ohio State, taking classes and vowing to return to the NBA. His agent, Mike Conley Sr., has promised that Oden is now 100 percent. Conley has even predicted Oden will become an All-Star.

That would be quite a comeback, and while some teams may feel differently after having worked out Oden, several are ready to take at least take a flyer on him, as reported by FOX Sports Ohio in early January.

Both Cleveland and Charlotte are said to be prepared to make Oden an offer following the Feb. 21 trading deadline. Boston also remains interested, although it’s believed Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge won’t get into any sort of bidding war.

The Cavaliers, however, are under the cap and can afford to take a low-risk-high-reward chance on a player like Oden. Their proposal reportedly will be for two years (the rest of this season and next), with a team option for a third.

No word on what the Bobcats might be thinking.

Defending-champion Miami was another team that supposedly had a passing interest in Oden, but that’s all it was. The Heat just signed center Chris Andersen for the rest of the season, effectively removing themselves from the Oden conversation.

Oden’s camp is looking to sign this year, but for rehab purposes only. If all goes according to plan, he’ll be ready for training camp to open the 2013-14 season.

Teams such as the Cavs and Bobcats would only make an offer after the trading deadline because adding a player prior to it might hinder their opportunities to make other potential moves.

Sources said over the weekend Oden has been leaning toward the Cavs all along. If true, it would make good sense. They’re the only NBA team located in the state where he played his college ball, and he has a large and supportive following in Cleveland because of it.

Oden also likes the notion of playing on the same team as Kyrie Irving -- and considers the Cavs’ reigning Rookie of the Year the type of dynamic young point guard that could help jumpstart Oden’s rebirth, sources said.

On top of all that, the Cavs are located in the same city as the Cleveland Clinic, famed for its rehabilitation of injuries and ongoing treatment. Oden, clearly, still needs plenty of both.

Sources indicated Oden is likely to try to find the best situation in a variety of areas. That includes not just money, but opportunity.

Twitter: @SamAmicoFSO

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/13/13/O ... eedID=8888
Kobe8Fan

Postby L4L on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:26 am

Personally, I'd like to see Pau traded to Minnesota for the pieces necessary to acquire Josh Smith. Obviously, there are important financial considerations, and we'd need a backup center absent J-Hill, but, despite concerns about fitting the MD's "system", I think Smith would actually be able to produce alongside a guy like Howard. Defense will continue to be a problem for this team. Nash and Kobe aren't getting any faster. Having another athletic big who can help erase mistakes will only help on that side of the floor. Unlike Pau, if Smith isn't given a prominent offense role, a role where he touches the ball a lot, he still produces; he is still effective. Smith plays hard, he gets back in transition, and it will, presumably, keep Howard happy. I just think he is a better basketball fit. I think the move could potentially help with chemistry. At this point, I think it is time to officially "can" the twin towers approach.

I honestly think this is a versatile, talented rotation:
Nash / Blake
Bryant / Meeks
Clark / Artest
Smith / Jamison / Clark
Howard / Smith? FA Signing (K-Mart)?
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:40 am

IMO, we're not making any major moves or even moves that will improve the team enough this year to compete for the championship which was the goal & now just a pipe dream. This roster has glaring holes, an I don't believe we're even a top 8 seed at this point...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby escobar8 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 am

L4L wrote:Personally, I'd like to see Pau traded to Minnesota for the pieces necessary to acquire Josh Smith. Obviously, there are important financial considerations, and we'd need a backup center absent J-Hill, but, despite concerns about fitting the MD's "system", I think Smith would actually be able to produce alongside a guy like Howard. Defense will continue to be a problem for this team. Nash and Kobe aren't getting any faster. Having another athletic big who can help erase mistakes will only help on that side of the floor. Unlike Pau, if Smith isn't given a prominent offense role, a role where he touches the ball a lot, he still produces; he is still effective. Smith plays hard, he gets back in transition, and it will, presumably, keep Howard happy. I just think he is a better basketball fit. I think the move could potentially help with chemistry. At this point, I think it is time to officially "can" the twin towers approach.

I honestly think this is a versatile, talented rotation:
Nash / Blake
Bryant / Meeks
Clark / Artest
Smith / Jamison / Clark
Howard / Smith? FA Signing (K-Mart)?

i would do that in the heartbeat...i think smith gets to much hate on this board...
people complaine he has low iq...maybe...but he fits this team perfectly...
he is underrated passer...he averages 4ast...even his 3pt shooting aint bad...in last 3 games he is 9/13 from 3pt...he is much more athletic version of odom...
escobar8

Postby crooner on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43 am

I’ve been a member here for quite some time, and I don’t post often. But I thought I’d throw my hat into the ring on this topic. I’ll preface it by saying, I think any moves, barring a free agent pickup to shore up our frontline, are unlikely.

I do believe, however, that the front office needs to do something to get us more athletic. I’m hoping that Mitch, after seeing our team get throttled by the Clips, will agree.

The news that Ben Gordon wants out, and that the Bobcats want him out, is a good opportunity for some team to pick him up at a discount - why not us?

Lakers Trade: Metta, Blake, Duhon, Meeks
Lakers Get: Gordon, Ariza

Washington trades: Vessely, Ariza
Washington gets: Metta, Meeks

Charlotte trades: Gordon
Charlotte gets: Duhon, Blake, Vessely

Washington and Charlotte both save money this season. No players contract, others the Vessely’s 3 years remaining at rookie scale, is past 2 years. Washington gets a veteran SG to compete with Beal and Charlotte gets a prospect in Vessely.

Lakers get much more athletic, but would have to sign 1 or 2 free agents. K-Mart or Lou Amundson make sense (though they should do this anyway).

Just something to shake things up, but I don’t think it will happen. Lakers need new, fresh legs. Gordon is a winner, and worth trying to get. We know what Ariza can bring – defense, speed, and no worse shooting that Metta.
crooner

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 am

Yep, Pau will be worth more next year as an expiring, whether or not he plays well. I doubt he'll net anyone of value this year.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:53 pm

No disrespect to all of you who have come up with some great trading scenarios and also for those that are updating the thread with available players....but seriously, what's the point?

We know our coach and his ridiculous rotation style. We're going to move on with what we have, cause he ain't going to play tall. Kmart and the likes won't be brought in even though we're lacking height on the front line. You're going to see Metta, Clark, Twan moving forward...powerlessly.

As for center, just hope Dwight doesn't get in foul trouble and if he does...good, cause we get to run our 5 guard set.

All these problems....ALL of them...start with this coaching hire. If we had a system for these players to believe in and you had a better manager of egos, most of our ineptitude would be no more. Instead you got guys not playing their role or not liking their role and you have players running through the motions to get to their big payday or just to start summer earlier...cause they sure as hell don't want to run for this coach...and seriously can you blame them?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:No disrespect to all of you who have come up with some great trading scenarios and also for those that are updating the thread with available players....but seriously, what's the point?

We know our coach and his ridiculous rotation style. We're going to move on with what we have, cause he ain't going to play tall. Kmart and the likes won't be brought in even though we're lacking height on the front line. You're going to see Metta, Clark, Twan moving forward...powerlessly.

As for center, just hope Dwight doesn't get in foul trouble and if he does...good, cause we get to run our 5 guard set.

All these problems....ALL of them...start with this coaching hire. If we had a system for these players to believe in and you had a better manager of egos, most of our ineptitude would be no more. Instead you got guys not playing their role or not liking their role and you have players running through the motions to get to their big payday or just to start summer earlier...cause they sure as hell don't want to run for this coach...and seriously can you blame them?

Are you saying we should've hired someone else instead of D'Antoni? Maybe Phil Jackson?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:26 pm

^^^^Is that guy in your avi the best rapper in the game today?

Haha
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 pm

lol, damn straight. You know I was joking too right, you've made your stance clear on the FO's coaching decision a few times already haha
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Phil isnt gonna magically heal Dwight and Pau's injuries or make Nash play defense or make MWP 2 years younger or turn the bench into a bench mob. There are issues on this team beyond MDA's or Mike Brown's or Phil Jackson's control.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 pm

So you're telling me Phil can't do what Woodson did in NY once D'Antoni stepped away?

Rotations have a huge influence injuries. Current injuries can't be overcome, but the way they are handled once they return is something that can be controlled.

Player role and utilization...yet another thing that can be controlled.

Talented teams have had success....just look at nearly every super team that has been assembled. Its the way that they are managed that needs to be handled with care.

The mentality that this team is broken when nearly every pundit out there said that this team had an embarrassment of riches....is well, garbage.

The Knicks last year, the Nets this year...heck, the Ravens changing their OC....yah, coaching matters...and on the flip side, I give you exhibit A...or should I call it exhibit Mike....better yet, lets call it please exit, Mike.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Sources: Clippers & Celtics Discussing Kevin Garnett Trade

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Sources: Clippers & Celtics Discussing Kevin Garnett Trade

By Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc Spears | Yahoo! Sports

HOUSTON — The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers have been discussing a deal to trade forward Kevin Garnett for guard Eric Bledsoe and center DeAndre Jordan, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

There are differing factions within the Celtics and Clippers on the prudence of the deal, but the two teams have been in regular contact about the possibility, sources said.

Nevertheless, the biggest hurdle could ultimately center on Garnett's willingness to waive his no-trade clause and accept a deal to the Clippers.
Because of his home in Malibu, and a close relationship with Clippers guard Chauncey Billups, there's hope that Garnett, a 15-time All-Star, could be coaxed into accepting a trade if an agreement is reached, sources said.

The Clippers had expressed reluctance to several teams about parting with Bledsoe until they were certain that Chris Paul would re-sign this summer to a long-term deal, sources said. The organization has become increasingly confident that Paul will stay, but every franchise decision is made within the context of how it will impact Paul, and how he feels about it.

There's strong sentiment within parts of the organization that Garnett gives the Clippers a chance to compete for a championship this season. He could spread the floor for the Clippers and open up the lane for Blake Griffin. In the short term, the re-emergence of Billups could cut into Bledsoe's minutes the rest of this season.

For the Celtics, Bledsoe, 23, and Jordan, 24 would give Boston two young players with significant upside to start a revamp of the roster. With Rajon Rondo returning next season from an ACL injury, it's unclear how the Celtics would proceed, but it could ultimately give them a chance to use a healthy Rondo in trade scenarios.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sourc ... 06411.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:33 am

I just don't get why the Clippers do this. Sure you've got Bledsoe now, but they'd have to commit to him. That means they're giving up on Rondo already?

And if that's true, then what are they planning on doing with him? It just doesn't make sense. It doesn't make any sense at all in a "rebuild".
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:25 pm

^^^bos has tried to trade Rondo for years now so getting blodsoe makes it even eaiser to do it now. Clipps on other hand also get out of dj contract think only thing holding them back is cp3 pending fa.
Last edited by khmrP on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion