Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvement: 3 Bigs injured, do we shop at KMart?

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 pm

jayloot wrote:LA - Brook Lopez / Paul Milsap / CJ Watston
Utah - Kris Humphries
Brooklyn - D12 / Chris Duhon

It works on trade machine but I don't know how to add the pic. A line up with Clark and Milsap can help with the decline in rebounding we'd get from Lopez. Utah gets a big with another year on his contract, and we can move past this D12 nonsense.

Utah gives up expiring Milsap to take on a less talented, much less talented player in Humphries and pays him an extra year? Yea good luck with that scenario and even if picks were involved none of the picks would be of any value to Utah to eat another year of Humphries
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Teams trying to trade for J.J. Redick surveying cost to re-sign him in summer. If Bucks move a starting guard, he's a major target for them.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

We'll take Monta if you need to get rid of guard for Redick. :man1:

if Pau wasn't injured I would've thought Monta/Dalembert/Dunleavy would've worked for Pau/fillers, both teams would've benefited greatly.
khmrP

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 am

Mike D'Antoni has remained intrigued with bringing exiled Jazz guard Raja Bell to Lakers, sources say.
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:32 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
Mike D'Antoni has remained intrigued with bringing exiled Jazz guard Raja Bell to Lakers, sources say.

I really, really hope that's not true, or he is indeed a one trick pony trying to recapture old magic, some that didn't even lead to a title. He's also delusional if he thinks old man Bell could help us.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:34 am

^Unfortunately, in this case, if it's Woj, it's probably true.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby sina on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:50 am

Lakers needs an perimeter scorer more than anything else.
sina

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 am

It didn't take long, coming out of All-Star Weekend, from the trade chatter to crank back up again.

Some fresh dribbles of that chatter follow in the lead-up to the NBA’s 3 p.m ET Thursday trade deadline:

The Atlanta Hawks have convinced numerous teams that they're definitely trading Josh Smith this week, largely because they see the unpredictable lefty as a virtual lock to leave them in free agency this summer.

So ...

Destinations?

One team close to the situation consulted Monday night predicted that the Nets would ultimately land Smith via a three-way trade after ESPN's Chris Broussard reported Feb. 11 that Smith is a prime Brooklyn Nets trade target.

Another team pinpointed the Phoenix Suns and Milwaukee Bucks as the strongest contenders to win the Smith sweepstakes. The big worry for both of those teams, though, is whether they could really risk trading for Smith when convincing him to re-sign for the long term is likely to be a serious challenge in either city. Especially with Smith said to be angling for a max deal … and with nobody confusing the Suns or the Bucks with Mikhail Prokohorov's Nets.

Broussard, furthermore, tweeted early Tuesday that the Washington Wizards have made anyone on the roster available for Smith, apart from John Wall, Bradley Beal or Nene Hilario.

Which brings us to the Boston Celtics.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Boston Celtics have, indeed, registered their interest on the Smith front, with the caveat that they also remain highly interested in the Clippers' Eric Bledsoe.

Yet a Boston deal for Smith, sources said, would almost certainly have to be built around Paul Pierce, because Kevin Garnett isn't waiving his no-trade clause to go to the Atlanta Hawks if he's not willing to waive it to go to the Clipperland. And the prospect of Celtics front-office chief Danny Ainge exiling Pierce to the Hawks for Smith, after everything Pierce has done to restore the Celtics to glory over the past half-decade, is still hard to imagine.

At least for me.

According to one theory in circulation on the personnel grapevine, Celtics officials could be moved this week to try to make the case to Garnett that waiving his no-trade provision to accept that long-rumored trade to the Los Angeles Clippers would be the best thing not only for himself but for the long-term health of the franchise. Combine that approach with the expected lobbying from the L.A. side by good buddy Chauncey Billups, as the theory goes, and maybe Garnett will ultimately relent and consent to a swap.

Have to add three follow-up caveats here, though:

1. After spending a solid 15 minutes in the same room with Garnett in Houston as part of ESPN Radio's All-Star Weekend team, I became convinced that KG isn't waiving that no-trade clause. For anyone or any team. My impression is that it's going to take more lobbying than anyone out there can muster.

2. Broussard reported late Monday night on "SportsCenter" that Billups has already warned the Clippers that Garnett's position appears to be firm … and that Garnett spelled out the exact same thing to Chris Paul last summer when Paul informed KG that the Clippers wanted to pursue him via trade.

3. Even if Garnett did wind up with the Clippers this week, after all the bluster against the idea, I still struggle to picture the Celtics telling Pierce that they're going to send him to the Hawks for the good of Boston's long-term health. The deal might make sense for Atlanta -- since Pierce's $5 million buyout for next season would extend the Hawks' window of flexibility and create a new set of options -- but it still looks like as an impossible sell in Boston.

I've always thought Rajon Rondo, not Pierce or Garnett, would be the first member of Boston's star trio to be dealt. There simply might not be a shake-up move available to the Celtics at this deadline now that Rondo has been lost to a season-ending knee injury.

There's more on that subject.

The Clippers, according one source close to the situation, would not be willing to surrender both Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan to Boston even if Garnett was willing to waive his no-trade clause.

Is that posturing? An absolute stance?

We'll find out for sure between now and the deadline, but the source insisted that the Clippers feel that a Bledsoe-and-Jordan combo is too much to surrender for a 36-year-old who isn't sure how much longer he'll be playing.

The consistent word out of Houston, incidentally, is that the Rockets -- long known to be Smith fans -- are far more likely to pursue J-Smoove in free agency than to try to trade for him this week.

The Rockets are expected to use their leftover salary-cap space from last summer to extract an extra draft pick from teams looking to shed salary for luxury-tax reasons right before the trade buzzer.

Veterans who remain available in trade talks this week include San Antonio's DeJuan Blair, Cleveland's Omri Casspi, Charlotte's Ben Gordon, Brooklyn's Kris Humphries, Oklahoma City's Eric Maynor, Minnesota's Luke Ridnour, Phoenix's Sebastian Telfair and Washington's Jordan Crawford.

Orlando, meanwhile, continues to seek no less than a first-round pick for sharpshooter J.J. Redick, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in July.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... josh-smith. Article written by Marc Stein.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 am

Not many possibilities tree that make sense. We'll probably stand pat. Dwight may want out, but we're not taking Brooklyn's crap in exchange.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 am

Hardwood Paroxysm ‏@HPbasketball
Let's pretend Josh Smith, for a trade with your team, was willing to sign a "No mid-range/3-point jumpers" clause. Would you want him then?

:man10: :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Hardwood Paroxysm ‏@HPbasketball
Let's pretend Josh Smith, for a trade with your team, was willing to sign a "No mid-range/3-point jumpers" clause. Would you want him then?

:man10: :man10:

I can see why Smith/Howard are best friends, neither has improved much in terms of bball fundamentals, they're just freakishly athletic.
khmrP

Postby escobar8 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 am

if we go for bell i will be angry and disapointed...
escobar8

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 pm

escobar8 wrote:if we go for bell i will be angry and disapointed...

EVEN IF WE TRADE BLAKE/DUHON/SACRE/ IN THE PROCESS? I WOUDLNT :jam2:
PurpleNGold1

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 pm

PurpleNGold1 wrote:

So you'd be happy if we traded both of our backup PGs and only remaining insurance 7 footer for a washed up old player? You realize that would mean Morris is our backup and we're one Nash injury from him being our starter and only PG right?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Weezy wrote:
PurpleNGold1 wrote:

So you'd be happy if we traded both of our backup PGs and only remaining insurance 7 footer for a washed up old player? You realize that would mean Morris is our backup and we're one Nash injury from him being our starter and only PG right?

:man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby crooner on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Lakers trade: Dwight Howard
Lakers receive: Monta Ellis, Al Horford

Atlanta trades: Josh Smith, Al Horford
Atlanta receives: Dwight Howard

Milwaukee trades: Monta Ellis
Milwaukee receives: Josh Smith

LA gets two very good players for, when healthy, a top 3 player in the league.
Atlanta gets the potential superstar they’re looking for.
Milwaukee gets a defensive minded sf/pf who is a slight upgrade and opens up a starting spot for them to acquire Reddick in a subsequent trade with Orlando.

The Lakers aren’t historically in the business of trading superstars, but in this case it would seem to be addition by subtraction.
crooner

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Here's the thing though: Dwight is probably not going to be traded. Pau might.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:51 pm

between Monta and Hordford is top 3 player. :man10:

why would ATL trade Smith if they want Dwight?

:man10: :man10: :man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:53 pm

crooner wrote:Lakers trade: Dwight Howard
Lakers receive: Monta Ellis, Al Horford

Atlanta trades: Josh Smith, Al Horford
Atlanta receives: Dwight Howard

Milwaukee trades: Monta Ellis
Milwaukee receives: Josh Smith

LA gets two very good players for, when healthy, a top 3 player in the league.
Atlanta gets the potential superstar they’re looking for.
Milwaukee gets a defensive minded sf/pf who is a slight upgrade and opens up a starting spot for them to acquire Reddick in a subsequent trade with Orlando.

The Lakers aren’t historically in the business of trading superstars, but in this case it would seem to be addition by subtraction.

I like this one, everybody gets sometime worthwhile, nobody gets screwed.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:12 pm

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/304018463268171776

Kupchak: "There’s not a way to upgrade the talent on this team. I don’t anticipate anything dramatic talking place in the next 2 days."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:14 pm

The Rock wrote:https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/304018463268171776

Kupchak: "There’s not a way to upgrade the talent on this team. I don’t anticipate anything dramatic talking place in the next 2 days."

I believe him. IMO, based on this premise & this roster, we're not making the PO's...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Well, that's a shame if true, but I get it. Moves will be left to the summer and this season is a wrap.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:03 pm

^ Yep. And that's why we haven't seen him make any smaller moves... As depressing as that is.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm

I agree. This time he probably won't make any moves. We'll see what happens next season and 2014-15 should be very interesting.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Pig Miller on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

i'm not too surprised by mitch's statement, especially given we have no real assets to trade (picks, expirings, etc).

i think we need a big if nothing else, while pau is out. whether we sign someone to a couple 10 day contracts or a small trade involving one of our young players.
Pig Miller

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:44 pm

I like Tom Penn on ESPN ok, but he just suggested Pau for Bargnani and fields, that's terrible. He also suggested Pau for Josh Smith and Morrow, that's decent.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion