Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 am

themasterphil wrote:
khmrP wrote:
themasterphil wrote:one Q for everybody......would you change this laker team for clipper team at this moment if you have that possibility??

why dont you just make it simple for yourself and just be a clipper fan?

i didnt mean to become stupid clipper fan, i just think if you can switch players would you do that??

I don't understand how that is different than being a Clipper fan.

I don't understand this post at all.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 am

one question, would we have struggled this much with a kobe, paul, dwight roster? (fill in the blank for the rest)
LooN3y

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am

^ Would one of them have missed basically the entire season up to this point?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby themasterphil on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 am

therealdeal wrote:
themasterphil wrote:
khmrP wrote:
themasterphil wrote:one Q for everybody......would you change this laker team for clipper team at this moment if you have that possibility??

why dont you just make it simple for yourself and just be a clipper fan?

i didnt mean to become stupid clipper fan, i just think if you can switch players would you do that??

I don't understand how that is different than being a Clipper fan.

I don't understand this post at all.

ok forgot you have clippers and lakers.....imagine team A : nash, kobe,MWP, Gasol Howard and team B: Paul,crawford, butler, griffin jordan which team would you choose if you have the possibility to choose, simple as that
themasterphil

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:13 am

^^^ Not a fair questions, really. We are struggling because our starting PG, back up PG, and starting PF are injured, and several of our role players are d-league fodder.

This was totally avoidable had Jim and Mith done more with vets to prepare for injuries to our older players. Robinson, Pietrus, West, Martin, etc. were out there for the vet min. No need to sign unproven scrubs like Sacre, Ebanks, and Morris.

Anyway, the better question is whether we would take Paul, Dwight, Murphy, McBobs over Nash, Gasol, and Jamison.

Does that assume we would have Hill and Blake too?

Tough call. If Gasol, Blake and Nash were healthy, part of me says that is better than Chris Paul and fillers. But the other part says that CP3 with Dwight would, alone, get us wins since CP3 is better than Nash offensively and defensively, he hates to lose, would take the ball out of Kobe's hands, and would help Kobe and Ron get more defensively out of our team. CP3 has the Kobe-like killer instinct that I love.

On balance, I would love to have CP3, Kobe, Dwight, Ron, and fillers -- like Meeks, Jamison, Hill, West, Pietrus.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 am

The one with 4 Hall of Fame players on it. What kind of question is that?

Just because this team is struggling you want to replace them with a team that has ONE bona fide superstar? ONE player that is worth a crap? Take Chris Paul away from that team and they're a bottom feeder. Easily.

Take TWO Hall of Fame players away from our team and surprise, surprise they're having trouble winning games. This team was built top heavy and the top is hurt, it's no surprise we're struggling.

Yet when the going gets tough you want to trade our team for the Clippers? That's asinine. It's ridiculous. This team is underperforming, but we haven't seen more than 6 quarters of our starters together and never have we seen them out from under the thumb of the worst coach in Laker history.

No I don't want that Clipper roster of athletes and pretenders. You can take them if you'd like, but I'll stay with my Laker team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 am

themasterphil wrote:ok forgot you have clippers and lakers.....imagine team A : nash, kobe,MWP, Gasol Howard and team B: Paul,crawford, butler, griffin jordan which team would you choose if you have the possibility to choose, simple as that

we know the bases of your post we just dont care to understand it and besides I want Heat roster anyways :man10:
Last edited by khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Would one of them have missed basically the entire season up to this point?

no completely healthy,

let me rephrase, and i know those games we're taken too seriously, but would we have been undefeated, oh i mean winless in the preseason as well?

i dont know just all ifs and buts, id just like to know your opinion
LooN3y

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 am

I have no idea what you're asking.

You want to compare this team to the fantasy team that the Lakers dreamed up with Paul/Kobe/Dwight, but who knows if those guys stay healthy?

The Lakers played ALL of the right cards in doing things the way they did. The onus for this team's problems isn't on the FO in any way shape or form (outside of coaching, but even then their fault is limited).

Who the hell knows if Paul, Howard, Bryant would be better? We havent' even SEEN WHAT WE HAVE YET. We haven't seen our "Big 4" on the court yet without being hampered by the coaching of Mike Brown. We haven't seen them, through 22 games, for more than 6 quarters. They've been on the court together for 7% of the season thus far, that's it.

And you want us to compare those? You want to compare a product we haven't seen yet to a product that never existed? Who knows?

Would we be better if Steve Nash never got hurt? Would we be better if Pau's mind wasn't broken and his knees were fine?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:23 am

For today's NBA game and in a perfect and fantasy world , I'd only keep Kobe , D12 , Meeks and Hill from the current roster ..
Keep a couple of veterans like Duhon and Jamison then add Batum and Millsap type of forwards , a Holiday type of PG ( with a Watson coming off the bench) , add a shooter ala Steve Novak off the bench and we would be good to go ...

Our current roster is as bad a fit as it can be
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 am

That's so wrong it's crazy...

Our team is such a bad fit? Why? We have all the tools to be a great fit when we're healthy.

We have the best wing scorer in the history of the league. We have a great passing big man. We have the best pick and roll players in the league.

Our team SHOULD fit fine when it's healthy, but they're not healthy and they're struggling, and they're mentally broken. That doesn't mean they don't fit.

Tell me the hole in this lineup:
Nash, Meeks, Artest, Jamison, Howard

Where's the weakest point? Probably Artest offensively or Jamison defensively, but it's minimal.

Or this lineup:
Duhon, Bryant, Artest, Hill, Gasol

Again, it's probably defensively but offensively they're an almost perfect fit. Artest being the weak link there but he's still able to hit open threes.

Our team fits fine when they're healthy. They just aren't healthy right now, mentally or physically.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:29 am

^^^both lineup have slow perimeter defenders, doesn't matter if Howard is in the middle, he helps but no one helps him when guards penetrate, offensively the shooters are very very streaky minus Nash if he even shoots much.
Last edited by khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby themasterphil on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 am

unfortunately its like this:
Paul>Nash
Kobe>Crawford
Butler>MWP
Griffin>Pau
Howard>Jordan
3 to 2 for them, and its true, someone will say Pau is better but why, he is slow, unathletic and lazy player right now. I hope these lakers can sort some things in their heads but without defense there is no chance they can win anything, no chance. They are just too old and too slow in my opinion. But we will see what will happen, I hope lakers can make some run but i am pessimist about this one
themasterphil

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 am

therealdeal wrote:I have no idea what you're asking.

You want to compare this team to the fantasy team that the Lakers dreamed up with Paul/Kobe/Dwight, but who knows if those guys stay healthy?

The Lakers played ALL of the right cards in doing things the way they did. The onus for this team's problems isn't on the FO in any way shape or form (outside of coaching, but even then their fault is limited).

Who the hell knows if Paul, Howard, Bryant would be better? We havent' even SEEN WHAT WE HAVE YET. We haven't seen our "Big 4" on the court yet without being hampered by the coaching of Mike Brown. We haven't seen them, through 22 games, for more than 6 quarters. They've been on the court together for 7% of the season thus far, that's it.

And you want us to compare those? You want to compare a product we haven't seen yet to a product that never existed? Who knows?

Would we be better if Steve Nash never got hurt? Would we be better if Pau's mind wasn't broken and his knees were fine?

i dont f-ing know, who knows. but my pessimistic (since all the losses and lack of effort i've seen) mind has a hard time believe so (if nash and pau we're healthy)

this season is so frustrating to watch, like the year we didnt even make the playoffs
LooN3y

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 am

therealdeal wrote:That's so wrong it's crazy...

Our team is such a bad fit? Why? We have all the tools to be a great fit when we're healthy.

We have the best wing scorer in the history of the league. We have a great passing big man. We have the best pick and roll players in the league.

Our team SHOULD fit fine when it's healthy, but they're not healthy and they're struggling, and they're mentally broken. That doesn't mean they don't fit.

Where's the weakest point? Probably Artest offensively or Jamison defensively, but it's minimal.

Or this lineup:

Again, it's probably defensively but offensively they're an almost perfect fit. Artest being the weak link there but he's still able to hit open threes.

Our team fits fine when they're healthy. They just aren't healthy right now, mentally or physically.

Good post realdeal, glad to have you back in written form again not just pictorial. :man10:

But yeah, the biggest problems we've had personnel-wise are at PG, which was partially solved when Duhon got his shot and he has been doing a good job for the most part. Yes, he doesn't help the defense, which is where a Delonte West signing would be a really good thing IMO.

The other glaring weakness has been at the 3. Ron's getting older. Ebanks, AKA DUI, hasn't panned out. You and I had hopes for him but that little stunt he pulled basically sealed his fate.

I do not understand why they FO didn't go after Pietrus after that. They had weeks to sign him to a deal. The DUI was early November and Pietrus signed with Toronto at the end of that month for vets min. We could have offered him more. His agent said the Lakers didn't even call them to check him out. Nothing. Not a word.

That to me was a big blunder. We need help at the 3 and Pietrus was a bargain. He was the right guy and we didn't even sniff at him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 am

Or this lineup:

So bad defensive fits all over the place aren't a huge pb ?
wcsoldier81

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:

Or this lineup:

So bad defensive fits all over the place aren't a huge pb ?

there is no effort on defense period.
LooN3y

Postby frankrj on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 am

It's a 1st round playoff team at best, right now.
frankrj

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 am

We need a reliable backup PG. Given the pressure from fans, the team, I believe the FO's mission is to find decent backup right now. Duhon has done a credible job; but he's a 2nd string bench player. Morris is just flat playing awful basketball right now.

If the sources are right and indicating we get Delonte, he solves multiple things. We'll just have to wait & see...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:55 am

frankrj wrote:It's a 1st round playoff team at best, right now.

I believe this team is going to turn it around. Nevertheless, you're wrong; we're not even playing good enough to make it into the playoffs.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 am

LooN3y wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:So bad defensive fits all over the place aren't a huge pb ?

there is no effort on defense period.

Exactly.

Tell me where the bad defensive fit is and I'll tell you where there's simply lack of effort. This team fits together just fine, they're just down on themselves and so their effort isn't there. There's no spark. There's no confidence.

Let them heal up and get things rolling, then you can more easily determine whether they fit together or not. I suspect Gasol is the worst fit, but not due to lack of ability but lack of drive and willingness.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 am

It's just more than effort ... all our players are too slow to defend the perimeter , chase players through screens , help and recover , decently staying with opposite players off the dribble .. and Pau is not enough mobile at the PF spot ....

I mean 3 different seasons , 3 different coaches and people are still talking about energy and effort ? It's more than that ... it's a league dominated by young , fast and athletic players and we just don't have much of this on our roster ... it's mindblowing how can some Lakers fans still can't see this ...
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 pm

It's mindblowing that you're throwing a team under the buss that hasn't played more than 6 quarters together yet.

Are we slower than most of these teams? Yes. But so what? Was Dallas blazing fast when they beat Miami two years ago? Was our team that was probably 3-4 quarters away from playing OKC to a 7th game super fast and athletic? No.

You don't have to be the fastest or the most athletic, you can game plan around that. We don't have any of our pieces right now. Heck, we got younger when Pau got hurt anyway and things still aren't going our way. Our team is built just fine to handle athletic teams.

We beat the snot out of Denver not too long ago and they're maybe the most athletic team in the league. It's about the way we're playing, not about who's on our team. We have plenty of great pieces we just aren't performing up to their standards.

And it's funny you bring up Pau, I already said he's the one who's the worst fit. He's the one that's likely to be traded.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm not throwing our team under the bus ... I call it how I see it ... and yes we have injuries still it's no excuse when we are losing to the freaking Magic and Cavs of this world ...

I'm just very dissapointed by this season so far and while there is still a lot of B-Ball left to be played , I stay realistic and I see we will probably have to win 3 series on the road to come out of a deep Western Conference ...
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 pm

I don't blame you for being frustrated, but you have to continue to take this season with a grain of salt. Check out the conversation Punk and I are having in the MDA thread.

These guys are all checked out and it starts with the coaching. If/when Nash and Gasol return we're going to start seeing things pick up. Will it be enough? I have no idea. My head tells me no, but my heart says this team has something if they can just get off the ground.

It's easy to get frustrated and get down, that's what our damn team is doing. It's more difficult to take this blow on the chin and get up and say "it's alright, we're not there yet, we have a lot of work to do".

I think this team could really use a tweak and that tweak would be trading Gasol's albatross attitude for a young, hungry guy, but who knows if that's available or feasable? We SHOULD be able to win with Gasol I know that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion