Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvement: 3 Bigs injured, do we shop at KMart?

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:51 pm

pau being injured really makes things complicated if we want to want to try and aquire josh smith.

minny wants pau, but they also want to make the playoffs. they can't have love and pau out, and trade away their only big left, pekovic, who would probably be their centerpiece trade asset.

this is also banking on the idea that atlanta will take a package like pekovic, derrick willilams, filler...better than having smooth walk away for nothing right?

lakers would again shake up the rotation again, clark may have to play backup C/SF with jamison playing lights out right now at the 4. but it's not like we can be any worse right?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LAKEROC on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:55 pm

I'd be more than happy to give Pau Gasol to Minnesota....that will cost you Kevin Love, David Kahn. That's non-negotiable!

I don't want Derrick Williams!
LAKEROC

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm

^ Minny's chances of the playoffs are less than ours and ours are swiftly fading.

However, I do think they target Pau this summer. Expiring contract so they can let him walk if it doesn't work out. Plus, they love him over there so they'd appreciate him the way he might deserve.

I think the Lakers go after Love this summer with Gasol's contract. Not only does Minny love Gasol and want him there, but they don't want to dedicate to Love. If Gasol doesn't work out the way they thought, he can just expire and leave. If he does, they can bring him back likely for cheap. Love meanwhile fits like a glove next to Howard.

If that falls through, then I think they might go after your idea: Smith. They might try to send Gasol to Minny and then have pieces moved to Atlanta for Smith.

Either way I think they use Gasol to find Howard's running mate.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:18 pm

^^^You can't wait for the off-season to get Smith, it would involve a sign and trade of Smith something the new CBA would limit us from doing unless we clear a whole bunch of salary and get under the tax threhold.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:20 pm

^ Yes, although I think Minny is better off with Pekovic/Love than Gasol/Love which is what they want to experiment with. If we can land Love for Gasol, I'm all for it, but I don't think Pekovic/Gasol would be an ideal lineup for Minny already seeing how Gasol can't "exist" as the PF.

Pekovic/DWill would be a great package for Gasol, may have to throw in AK, which I'm for. Josh Smith to LA is a no brainer with AK tagging, and ATL receiving a rising star in Pek and a player who may need a change of scenery to blossom in DWill.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Lakers trade - Pau / Duhon / Ebanks
Lakers get - Smith / Zaza / Morrow

Minny trades - Pek / AK / Ridnour
Minny gets - Pau / Duhon / Ebanks (Minny can tank and get a nice draft pick)

Atlanta trades - Smith / Zaza / Morrow
Atlanta gets - Pek / AK / Ridnour (Better than the Humphries/Brooks offer that they've gotten for him)
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

I don't want Smith, glad he will likely get traded elsewhere before Thursday's Trade Deadline.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JLaker17 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I don't see us making any big trade.
JLaker17

Postby kenzo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 pm

JLaker17 wrote:I don't see us making any big trade.

Yep. Pau is much more valuable next season :man12:
kenzo

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:I don't want Smith, glad he will likely get traded elsewhere before Thursday's Trade Deadline.

I'd rather get an AK47/Cunningham package and ship Pek off to a 3rd team for 1 or 2 solid players. I was just rolling with what everyone was talking about and putting it in trade form.

Just spit ballin' here but maybe Pek to Charlotte for Sessions/Henderson.....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Josh Smith IS AVAILABLE. Come on Mitch do your magic. With an injured Pau I dont know how we're gonna convince teams to take him but we'll see

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/303688819402756098
Hawks have convinced numerous teams that Josh Smith will be moved between now and Thursday 3 PM deadline. Question remains where exactly

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't know if the Hawks would want an injured Pau, but it could help them tank the season and get a good draft pick. Also, maybe they can flip him next year as an expiring contract for some rebuilding pieces.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 pm

How about something like this and Minnesota gives up its 1st round pick (lottery pick to ATL). Have to give up something to get something so Im willing to part with J-Hill. Roy is probably gonna retire so his $ comes off the book next year. Even if he stays the worst case scenario is hes an expiring contract

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:35 pm

JJ Hickson is another intriguing name. True PF/Double Double machine/can hit the outside shot

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/303693270368780288

Portland still willing to move J.J. Hickson, but hasn't found an appealing offer yet, sources tell Y!

I wonder if Portland would do a Pau for Mathews/Hickson deal?? Mathews is owed $6.9 and $7.2 mil after this year

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 pm

The Rock wrote:How about something like this and Minnesota gives up its 1st round pick (lottery pick to ATL). Have to give up something to get something so Im willing to part with J-Hill. Roy is probably gonna retire so his $ comes off the book next year. Even if he stays the worst case scenario is hes an expiring contract

pleeeeeeeeeeeeease God let this happen

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/303695005237800960
Minnesota has been aggressive in offering multiple first-round picks for established talent, league sources tell Y!

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 pm

The Rock wrote:JJ Hickson is another intriguing name. True PF/Double Double machine/can hit the outside shot

Portland still willing to move J.J. Hickson, but hasn't found an appealing offer yet, sources tell Y!

I wonder if Portland would do a Pau for Mathews/Hickson deal?? Mathews is owed $6.9 and $7.2 mil after this year

I wonder if the Blazers still want to bring back Steve Blake again.
Kobe8Fan

Postby last stand on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 pm

The Rock wrote:JJ Hickson is another intriguing name. True PF/Double Double machine/can hit the outside shot

hickson and matthews is intriguing. hickson is athletic but matthews would be the real grab. he's not pau, but he can flat out defend and shoot. i like the flexibility of that deal a little more than the josh smith deal which kind of gets us stuck with a core of dwight and smith for the next 5 years
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Mike D'Antoni has remained intrigued with bringing exiled Jazz guard Raja Bell to Lakers, sources say.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Quit living in the past holmes.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Teams trying to trade for J.J. Redick surveying cost to re-sign him in summer. If Bucks move a starting guard, he's a major target for them.

We'll take Monta if you need to get rid of guard for Redick. :man1:
Doc Brown

Postby last stand on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Teams trying to trade for J.J. Redick surveying cost to re-sign him in summer. If Bucks move a starting guard, he's a major target for them.

We'll take Monta if you need to get rid of guard for Redick. :man1:

monta is actually someone i'd really like. i understand he's inefficient and a little bit of a ball hog, but i figure kobe, ellis, nash is dynamic
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Ugh Bell!
I like that Hick/ Matthews idea but its a long shot.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

The only way I would take on Bell is if we could move Blake and his contract to Utah for him.

Bell expires this year, Blake doesn't.
Doc Brown

Postby Pig Miller on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Pig Miller wrote:Would you move dwight, meeks, morris, and hill or laldrige and batum?

Why are we giving up so much? No way.

We're giving them Dwight Howard for God's sake.

maybe pull meeks out of the deal. dwights' trade value has never been lower.

nonetheless, i don't think it's that much to give up. LA is becoming a perennial all star, and batum is probably knocking on the door of being an all star if he's in the east (similar game to paul george).

i like jordan's game, but i like earl's versatility a bit more. in addition, if we keep pau next year, there's just no room for that 4th big man.

this is all predicated upon the assumption that the lakers jump the gun and move d12 because they all of a sudden fear him leaving.
Pig Miller

Postby jayloot on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm

LA - Brook Lopez / Paul Milsap / CJ Watston
Utah - Kris Humphries
Brooklyn - D12 / Chris Duhon

It works on trade machine but I don't know how to add the pic. A line up with Clark and Milsap can help with the decline in rebounding we'd get from Lopez. Utah gets a big with another year on his contract, and we can move past this D12 nonsense.
This game's in the refrigerator, the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!
jayloot

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:56 pm

They're not moving Dwight so it's pretty moot, but again Dwight is still either the best or close to the best big man in the game right now. No way the Lakers give him for anything and if they did they'd only give him up for some ridiculous package like Love/Pekovic/Kirilenko/Pick or something like that.

As for this Josh Smith idea... Someone else said it best: do we really want Smith/Howard for the next 5 years? :man10: I don't know. I probably don't, even if I'm not as low on Smith as some people.

I'd much rather move the world in order to bring someone like Love to LA. If Dwight continues being a *****, Love is a better fall back than Smith.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion