Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: 3 Bigs injured, do we shop at KMart?

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:27 pm

do we really need more geezers who can't defend? not much of a difference between Bell old arse vs. Meeks "chicken head off" defense if you ask me, one is old and slow the otherwhile young and relatively quick but is dumb/small, end result bad D.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:28 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:soo...is the deadline over, or is it 11:59:59 PM PST?

It was over 1 1/2 hours ago.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Weezy wrote:You're thinking of Phoenix, GS, or even Charlotte Raja Bell, not the ancient current Bell that hasn't played a single game this season gcc. This would be no different than Tracy Murray or Jim Jackson or a few other old dudes we signed that used to be good that did jack.

I know and I agree. Bell did not play much at Utah so I am not really aware of where he is physically but just for one or two crucial stops a game, I'd be willing to trust him. It's unfortunate that Ebanks can't or couldn't muster up that role. Morris is just to green. Duhon is shot. Oh hell...I'd give more minutes to Meeks who is in and out of D'Antoni's doghouse. :man10:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Weezy wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:soo...is the deadline over, or is it 11:59:59 PM PST?

It was over 1 1/2 hours ago.

as i thought. thanks. trades still could come through though i believe correct, if the papers were signed before then, and just needed some approvals? or just announcement.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:39 pm

gcclaker wrote:
Weezy wrote:You're thinking of Phoenix, GS, or even Charlotte Raja Bell, not the ancient current Bell that hasn't played a single game this season gcc. This would be no different than Tracy Murray or Jim Jackson or a few other old dudes we signed that used to be good that did jack.

I know and I agree. Bell did not play much at Utah so I am not really aware of where he is physically but just for one or two crucial stops a game, I'd be willing to trust him. It's unfortunate that Ebanks can't or couldn't muster up that role. Morris is just to green. Duhon is shot. Oh hell...I'd give more minutes to Meeks who is in and out of D'Antoni's doghouse. :man10:

Yeah I mean Bell would be good only for limiting Artest's minutes... Having a body to throw out there is better than nothing.

Nash/Blake/Duhon/Morris
Bryant/Meeks
Artest/Artest
Clark/Jamison
Howard/Clark

Just having that extra body could give us less Artest... and if Bell can do anything he can shoot the damn ball still. He's still around 37% or so from deep since going to Utah.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Considering we aren't playing a backup 3 at all in Ebanks, I guess it couldn't hurt. So yeah, less time for MWP and less time with both Nash and Blake on the court going small, which might be a good thing.

If Bell has anything left in the tank I'd prefer it to just not playing a backup SF. It would be better to have an option.

We know that D' Antoni would at least give him a shot.

Ideally I'd still like to pick up a big guy like Amundson, though. What's up with him?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:08 pm

therealdeal wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

Yeah I mean Bell would be good only for limiting Artest's minutes... Having a body to throw out there is better than nothing.

Nash/Blake/Duhon/Morris
Bryant/Meeks
Artest/Artest
Clark/Jamison
Howard/Clark

Just having that extra body could give us less Artest... and if Bell can do anything he can shoot the damn ball still. He's still around 37% or so from deep since going to Utah.

Honestly, we don't need Pau. We need a productive backup C. I really like Metta/Jamison/Clark being rotated around the 3/4.

All we need is a big to run with these guys and play defense against the other teams big. If JO does get bought out, I hope he signs with us.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:15 pm

most boring trade deadline ever (not just lakers-wise either)
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Aonex on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:17 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:most boring trade deadline ever (not just lakers-wise either)

You can thank the greedy owners and the new CBA for that.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

sort of annoyed with the injury exception not being used....why apply for it then? just waste of time and hope.
khmrP

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Kmart to the Knicks on a 10 day
Amundson wants to be a Heat

So who left to tinker the roster with? :man1:

Oh yeah... :bang:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 pm

@SpearsNBAYahoo: Knicks have agreed to sign veteran forward Kenyon Martin to a 10-day contract, a source told Yahoo! Sports.
Kit

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:42 pm

This is what we've got for the season guys. This is it.

On a 100 million dollar payroll, I think that's understandable.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Well, isn't there a deadline for when players are released and can be signed on another team.

If Phoenix is letting go JO, I would snap him up. He stills plays good D and rebound.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:46 pm

That deadline I think is a while from now. It's just in case some injuries happen and whatnot and it's closer to the playoffs.

So some time in March I'm pretty sure is the deadline to adjust your roster. But I doubt the Lakers make many more moves unless Bell and O'Neal come available. And even then... probably not a whole lot of action.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 pm

JO would be awesome with the 2nd unit.
Kit

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:49 pm

I rather standpat than go for Bell. Cause that just tells me that the FO was willing to spend money and chose to spend it on Bell, while ignoring other (more dire) options.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:50 pm

I'd rather have a body than nothing at all though. If we're not going to go get Martin fine. If for some reason we don't want Amundson, okay. But we still NEED a backup SF, right? It's better than having nothing.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 pm

100 million dollar pay roll or not - injuries anc chemistry issues are a plenty. Why be penny wise and pound foolish? Without depth at the center and SF positions - players who can add energy, play smart and within themselves, and defend, this team will wear down in the next 15 games and it will all be for nothing. No playoffs. Clark is already wearing down from added minutes. Metta, Blake, Nash or Kobe or Jamison will be next. This sucks. Those exceptions for nothing?

Maybe w can nab a decent player from china or something.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'd rather have a body than nothing at all though. If we're not going to go get Martin fine. If for some reason we don't want Amundson, okay. But we still NEED a backup SF, right? It's better than having nothing.

Backup C. I don't mind Jamison or Clark playing minutes behind Metta.

We need a big who can defend the paint and just take up space while guys like Earl and play help defense and grab boards.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Kmart can effectively play D against the entire frontline (especially in today's NBA where playing big is a dying skillset). Yet, if an addition is made it will be for a small.

If your "future" is coming off back surgery and has ailed with a shoulder injury, wouldn't you want to protect that asset and not have him rush in there cause you can't buy him minutes off the floor?

It is what it is....hopefully if JO becomes available, we don't think twice about it.

That being said, its all about JBeezy for me right now....maybe in putting him to rest, my utter disappointment in this season can also be put to rest....maaaybe.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:22 pm

I know we all wanted to see, at the least, some capable bodies added to the end of the bench.. But I kind of like the fact that we stood pat. It lets the guys know that management feels this team as constructed is their best chance of winning this season. Should be a big confidence booster.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Eh. Howard isn't even logging that many minutes lately anyway. Not to mention he's a young man, even injured he can handle it.

Once Gasol returns that's 19 million reasons why we don't need another 1.7 million reasons for another person there.

Too much money to spend for a slightly improved shot at the playoffs.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:44 pm

therealdeal wrote::man10:

Our boyscout to jerk ratio is off. We need to get more jerks.

yell
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:49 pm

trodgers wrote:
therealdeal wrote::man10:

Our boyscout to jerk ratio is off. We need to get more jerks.

yell

FREAK DA DOE!!
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion