Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:23 am

if this scenario was possible, would you guys do this?

Pau
for
Dwill/Minn 1st

this trade creates a giant TPE as well, then flip this tpe/a laker future 1st for Granger
tpe/la 20?? 1st
for
Granger

this sets us up with more younger players at two key spots, I know Dwill is a tweener but so be it, he can either start or be 6th man type if we are able to bring back Earl. Granger will could be an excellent wing defender and take over metta, still expires summer of 2014 so our whatever FA plan is still intact.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 am

khmrP wrote:if this scenario was possible, would you guys do this?

Pau
for
Dwill/Minn 1st

this trade creates a giant TPE as well, then flip this tpe/a laker future 1st for Granger
tpe/la 20?? 1st
for
Granger

this sets us up with more younger players at two key spots, I know Dwill is a tweener but so be it, he can either start or be 6th man type if we are able to bring back Earl. Granger will could be an excellent wing defender and take over metta, still expires summer of 2014 so our whatever FA plan is still intact.


^^ If that were possible I'd do it in a heartbeat khmrp. Granger is sort of my ideal 3 for us. I like Rudy Gay and realdeal's idea of moving Pau for him if possible definitely caught my eye. But Granger is the guy I'd really like moving forward. To somehow move Pau for him would be perfect.
Lakerjones

 
Posts: 14887
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am

sure I'd do that. That TPE would be fantastic...

Except I don't think the Wolves are anywhere near able to take back a TPE like that. I don't know any team that is (although I haven't checked). Maybe Charlotte or Detroit...

Anyway, if there's a way to turn Pau into Granger, Gay, Love, or Deng I do that without blinking. I love Gasol, but we're moving forward now and he's frankly not in our plans.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36993
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:25 am

therealdeal wrote:sure I'd do that. That TPE would be fantastic...

Except I don't think the Wolves are anywhere near able to take back a TPE like that. I don't know any team that is (although I haven't checked). Maybe Charlotte or Detroit...

Anyway, if there's a way to turn Pau into Granger, Gay, Love, or Deng I do that without blinking. I love Gasol, but we're moving forward now and he's frankly not in our plans.


Minn has enough cap to take back Pau for just Dwill, the tpe is from their salary difference not the entire amt of Pau contract. If all stay the same the cap is @ 58mill, Minn at the beginning of 2013/2014 is @ 49mill if all things remaining the same (player option picked up, Roy full 5mill). So Minn team salary could even be lower then $49mill before they sign other players.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:33 am

It's my understanding that they'd need to be 19 million under the cap (plus Pau's trade kicker) to take him for the TPE. That would include whomever they send away for Pau.

According to storytellerscontracts.com-
-Minnesota is on the hook for 54+ million next season.
-They have a few small, non-guaranteed contracts but nothing that'd give them enough space to obtain Gasol.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36993
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:38 am

therealdeal wrote:It's my understanding that they'd need to be 19 million under the cap (plus Pau's trade kicker) to take him for the TPE. That would include whomever they send away for Pau.

According to storytellerscontracts.com-
-Minnesota is on the hook for 54+ million next season.
-They have a few small, non-guaranteed contracts but nothing that'd give them enough space to obtain Gasol.


are you not factoring Dwill contract of $5.4mill? My salary info is from hoops hype
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/minnesota.htm
and its @49mill with them picking up both of these options and Roy still on board, so they can get even lower without those 3 issues.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:47 am

^ Your site doesn't include Alexey Shved's 3 million dollar contract.

Nor does it include the non-guaranteed contracts of Chris Johnson and Mickael Gelabale. All of those put the total at around 54 million.

Then subtract Williams' 5-ish million and you're at 49 total. You still need to cut 9 million in salary.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36993
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Your site doesn't include Alexey Shved's 3 million dollar contract.

Nor does it include the non-guaranteed contracts of Chris Johnson and Mickael Gelabale. All of those put the total at around 54 million.

Then subtract Williams' 5-ish million and you're at 49 total. You still need to cut 9 million in salary.


AK to the Lakers! :jam2:
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:55 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Your site doesn't include Alexey Shved's 3 million dollar contract.

Nor does it include the non-guaranteed contracts of Chris Johnson and Mickael Gelabale. All of those put the total at around 54 million.

Then subtract Williams' 5-ish million and you're at 49 total. You still need to cut 9 million in salary.


I assume they could absorb whatevers as long as they're under the cap before the trade? So they can't go over the cap after a trade?
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 pm

All I'm saying is they'd need to shed 9 million in salary in order to take on Gasol for a TPE in addition to Williams.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36993
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby The Rock on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 pm

MDA is wearing out this 8 man rotation, we need one more SG/SF type shooter come on Mitch!!
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19951
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Is there a point of taking a TPE when we're clearing Gasols $19M and Ron's $8M in a year?

I get it, free agency versus trade...but if we wait a year we can theoretically sign a free agent and/or get someone via trade with our cap space.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Is there a point of taking a TPE when we're clearing Gasols $19M and Ron's $8M in a year?

I get it, free agency versus trade...but if we wait a year we can theoretically sign a free agent and/or get someone via trade with our cap space.


With the emergence of Paul George in Indy, and with Granger just coming back from injury, he'd be a prime target if we do have that TPE, and we amnesty Metta.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Is there a point of taking a TPE when we're clearing Gasols $19M and Ron's $8M in a year?

I get it, free agency versus trade...but if we wait a year we can theoretically sign a free agent and/or get someone via trade with our cap space.


another wasted year of Kobe/Nash waiting for 2014?
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Very true. Also contingent upon landing a deal. But sure, either way our books are cleared in '14 anyways.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Looking into the summer, I can see Blake, Duhon, Morris, Ebanks, Gasol, and Metta gone. Morris & Ebanks expire this year; I doubt the FO brings them back. Metta, Gasol, Duhon, & Blake all have one more year on their contracts which makes getting rid of them a little more difficult..
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:58 pm

The new CBA does make expiring contracts that much more enticing. Metta is difficult, we might as well keep him unless we get something fantastic. I'm sure the FO will shop him.

Duhon & Blake can go...but that's only $4-5M.....we still need a backup pg too. It's not like we're going to get much more of a serviceable backup pg for less than Blake's salary.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:34 pm

An SF is top priority; I understand that. So, with a Pau trade, you obviously have to target an SF and another serviceable big man that can defend & rebound. A backup PG is key, though. Nash is getting older & while still productive can get injured; additionally, he has struggled with some of the more athletic teams. WTS, it would ideal if we can find somebody who can back him up that can run the offense efficiently, be productive, and play defense.
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Needs:

1. Athletic 2-way SF

2. Backup big man

3. 2-way backup PG

We can address two of those in a Pau trade, hopefully.

We might be able to sign a backup big or PG this summer. There is flexibility...it's just about players wanting to come here and teams wanting to deal.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Needs:

1. Athletic 2-way SF

2. Backup big man

3. 2-way backup PG

We can address two of those in a Pau trade, hopefully.

We might be able to sign a backup big or PG this summer. There is flexibility...it's just about players wanting to come here and teams wanting to deal.


Agreed...
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 pm

Image

:man1: :man1: :man1:
Image

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
User avatar
GoldenKnight

 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

damn son. nice work.

He looks too fresh in a Laker Sunday :jam2:
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Needs:

1. Athletic 2-way SF

2. Backup big man

3. 2-way backup PG

We can address two of those in a Pau trade, hopefully.

We might be able to sign a backup big or PG this summer. There is flexibility...it's just about players wanting to come here and teams wanting to deal.

Eh. With Hill back, we don't even need number 2 that badly.

Clark/Jamison
Howard/Hill/Sacre

That's actually a nice looking front court. Maybe one more body, but nothing more than a minimum body.

A starting 2-way SF is most important and that should come through Pau Gasol's trade. The PG should come from free agency. There should be one we can convince to sign here for the mini-MLE.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36993
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
RT @addzeeferrari: Raja Bell got a buy out? ---> Bell has about $947K left on his deal. Utah wants him to give up most of it to get free
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More


Dude wants every penny. :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 18339
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Wow.

He'd be coming here for AT LEAST 1.35 million and possibly up to 1.72 million. He can't let go of some of that 900 K?

Who am I kidding. I guess I wouldn't either...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36993
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], LakersN4, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 8 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.