Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:49 pm

^^ Ah, I see. Still money probably well spent though, don't you think? Amundson is a solid big. Earl Clark isn't playing as well since he got that injury. We could use some insurance. And Amundson wouldn't be hard to fit in. He's just a hustle guy really. That's the easiest kind of fit.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 pm

Weezy wrote:I am looking at it from their perspective and I still don't get it. We're talking probably hundreds of thousands for Lou, maybe that to 2 mil tops. We also play 8 guys, he'd be 9, off the bench. A hustle guy that doesn't need plays drawn for him, there wouldn't be a lot of need for him to gel, he's a hustle guy that can fit right in. If they don't want this to be a lost season I think they would get help when it's needed. We're beating bad teams yes, but good teams are still owning us, Lou wouldn't be a savior but it's a big to help the bench that we need.

Seven years in the league means he should get roughly 1.15 million for the minimum salary. After taxes that's another 2.3 million on top of everything in what could very well be a 2.3 million dollar waste of money. Would he help us win a Championship? Probably not. Would he help us make the playoffs? Sure. But if the goal is now to make the playoffs, the roster as constructed should be able to do that.

Keep in mind guys, this is the devil's advocate speaking. I'm on the fence on this one, but I'd add another body for insurance. But I can definitely see why they wouldn't want to add another player.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 pm

If we get into the playoffs, start gelling, Pau comes back, there no telling what happens. I don't think we can win it all this season, but if you get in with Kobe, Nash, Dwight an Pau healthy, you can't say never. So if Lou helps us get there, he's absolutely worth 2 mil.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 pm

^^ Yeah, to me, this team needs to make the playoffs to redeem this season. They could use the help as you said, and a guy like Amundson could definitely do that. Especially with Hill and Pau out. Getting to the playoffs is key.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Weezy wrote:If we get into the playoffs, start gelling, Pau comes back, there no telling what happens. I don't think we can win it all this season, but if you get in with Kobe, Nash, Dwight an Pau healthy, you can't say never. So if Lou helps us get there, he's absolutely worth 2 mil.

Maybe, but like you said we probably can't win it all anyway. That extra 2 million could definitely go to waste. And then who would care or remember that we brought in Amundson for 5 minutes a night for a month? At this point we might as well wait until Pau gets back. Then Earl plays less minutes and HE'S our hustle guy. And we didn't have to add anybody to the payroll.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 pm

But what's the old saying, penny wise pound foolish? You know for sure that you can't win it all if you don't even get to the playoffs. That's the issue right now and we could use the help. If it ensures you make the playoffs that's money well spent.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 am

Earl is playing starting PF and backup C right now, I don't see how you can think that's good or will get us far. He's our hustle guy, but he's also going to wear out. Also, probably not being able to win it all is not a good reason to not sign help, to give up, you can't say never when you have Kobe, Nash, Dwight, and Pau returning.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:04 am

Weezy wrote:Earl is playing starting PF and backup C right now, I don't see how you can think that's good or will get us far. He's our hustle guy, but he's also going to wear out. Also, probably not being able to win it all is not a good reason to not sign help, to give up, you can't say never when you have Kobe, Nash, Dwight, and Pau returning.

Agreed. We could use the help right now, and for the following three to four weeks until Pau comes back.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 am

Maybe, but when's the last time an 8th seed did anything in the playoffs in the NBA? It's been a while. It could be that they spend the money and we make the playoffs and the most statistically likely event will be a first round exit.

Then again we might not even make the playoffs.

And if this team can't get to the playoffs as they're built right now, then they don't deserve the help. They've been slacking of all season long and now it's time for them to pull together. We don't need another body in there adjusting chemistry. Yes he can come in for a few minutes here and there and that wouldn't change chemistry all that much, but is that worth 3 million dollars? We might as well use Sacre for that, he's already on the team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:11 am

I'm good with using Sacre a little, but the coach seems against it for good. Also, I hate the injury excuse, but as built if healthy we would have made the playoffs for sure this season. No Howard all preseason, then no Nash from game 2, then no Pau, then Hill gone, then no Dwight when Pau came back, then Pau gone again. If we had a healthy Nash, Pau, Dwight, and hill all season we put it together a lot sooner. So while injuries aren't holding is back from being a championship team, IMO they have held us back as playoff team, and I'm not going to say this team doesn't deserve help when they've been hit by that much injury and are still missing Pau and Hill.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 am

Hmm. Sacre isn't on Amundson's level at all. I like him, but he's not. And D' Antoni won't play him. More than likely the Lakers are holding out for Bell right now and that's the main explanation. I think they know they could use help. Perhaps you're right thought that they aren't willing to go there for Amundson. Who knows? Find out tomorrow.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:16 am

Hey guys I'm with you. If it were me, I'd probably bite the bullet and add a guy already. But I also would have already waived Morris and Ebanks a while ago too.

I'm just trying to get you guys to see from Mitch's and Jim's perspective a little. I don't blame them for not wanting to spend more. I'd actually be pretty bitter towards this team and this season right now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 am

therealdeal wrote:Hey guys I'm with you. If it were me, I'd probably bite the bullet and add a guy already. But I also would have already waived Morris and Ebanks a while ago too.

I'm just trying to get you guys to see from Mitch's and Jim's perspective a little. I don't blame them for not wanting to spend more. I'd actually be pretty bitter towards this team and this season right now.

Oh yeah, we've talked about that - I would also have been done with those two guys.

I get you about trying to see Mitch and Jim's perspective. I really think they are actually waiting on Bell, though. Seeing what will happen re: his buyout (or not). We shall see.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby sina on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 am

Casspi?
sina

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Hey guys I'm with you. If it were me, I'd probably bite the bullet and add a guy already. But I also would have already waived Morris and Ebanks a while ago too.

Oh yeah, we've talked about that - I would also have been done with those two guys.

I get you about trying to see Mitch and Jim's perspective. I really think they are actually waiting on Bell, though. Seeing what will happen re: his buyout (or not). We shall see.

I won't necessarily be disappointed by that... but I'm not going to be jumping for joy either. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:00 am

^^ Yeah, me neither.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 am

Casspi has a HUGE Jewish following here, hope that convinces him to sign with us lol not to mention he can actually get minutes here. He'll sit on the bench in Houston behind Harden, Parsons, Delfino and Garcia

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Lakers apparently have the 3rd easiest schedule in March while the Jazz have the 3rd toughest :man13: :man13: :man13: :man13:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Hmmm

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/307604988312576000

The Kings are working on a buyout with Aaron Brooks, according to @mr_jasonjones. Rockets could be interested, they pursued him this summer.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Magic Skywalker on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:32 pm

It would be a nice pickup. Mainly because by picking him up, we will be assured he won't play against us.... That's one of those guys who always play well against the Lakers.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Aaron Brooks would be niceee. But- Nash, Blake, Duhon, Morris, Brooks? 5 PG's when we need a backup C and SF?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby karacha on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 pm

I don't think we can count on Morris or Duhon. Blake is playing good ball right now, but he is available in trade talks. We'll need a good PG soon, to play with Dwight and Love, hehe.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Already negotiating with Houston :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm down for Brooks.

We have an injury exception....we can stomach a 5th pg
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Well then

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/307660661582856192

Raja Bell will not take buyout from Utah Jazz, agent tells @sltrib. Buyout was predicated on finding offer from another team, Bell did not.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion