Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Always wanted Williams on the team, I thought he'd be a great backup considering we have...no one. I also wouldn't mind signing T-Mac. He played really well last season, sure he wasn't like the old T-Mac but he was still a very solid point forward who could come in and make some big plays.
XXIV

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:31 pm

XXIV wrote:Always wanted Williams on the team, I thought he'd be a great backup considering we have...no one. I also wouldn't mind signing T-Mac. He played really well last season, sure he wasn't like the old T-Mac but he was still a very solid point forward who could come in and make some big plays.

So how did T-Mac do under D'Antoni when he played in NY?
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Josh Smith auditioning for the Lakers in this first half:

12 points/ 4 rebounds/ 1 ast/ 1 stl/ 1 blk 6/10 FG

Some good defense on Kobe.

:man1:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:39 pm

^ Until Mitch saw him clank all 6 FT attemtps and go into hoist mode for 4 three point attempts he had no business taking.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 pm

JSM wrote:^ Until Mitch saw him clank all 6 FT attemtps and go into hoist mode for 4 three point attempts he had no business taking.

:man10:

I deliberately left off his horrid free throw shooting...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:45 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
XXIV wrote:Always wanted Williams on the team, I thought he'd be a great backup considering we have...no one. I also wouldn't mind signing T-Mac. He played really well last season, sure he wasn't like the old T-Mac but he was still a very solid point forward who could come in and make some big plays.

So how did T-Mac do under D'Antoni when he played in NY?

You mean the year where he only played 26 games? I'm looking at the previous two seasons when he actually played well.
XXIV

Postby Damian Necronamous on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 am

This season, we're not doing anything. We're waiting until Pau is healthy, then going with a 9-man rotation.

Next year, here's what I'd like to see...

1) Trade Pau for Josh Smith in a S&T deal
2) Amnesty MWP
3) Pick up Meeks' option
4) Re-sign Earl Clark
5) Sign Kyle Korver with the MMLE

Steve Nash...Steve Blake
Kobe Bryant...Jodie Meeks
Kyle Korver
Josh Smith...Earl Clark
Dwight Howard...Jordan Hill
Damian Necronamous

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

Can't s&t anymore if over cap
D.B. Cooper

Postby XXIV on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 am

D.B. Cooper wrote:Can't s&t anymore if over cap

Does the receiving team of the player being s&t have to be under the cap?
XXIV

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 am

XXIV wrote:
D.B. Cooper wrote:Can't s&t anymore if over cap

Does the receiving team of the player being s&t have to be under the cap?

Not under the cap, but under the tax. We won't be on the receiving side of any S&T's any time soon.
lakersin4

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 am

Damian Necronamous wrote:This season, we're not doing anything. We're waiting until Pau is healthy, then going with a 9-man rotation.

Next year, here's what I'd like to see...

1) Trade Pau for Josh Smith in a S&T deal
2) Amnesty MWP
3) Pick up Meeks' option
4) Re-sign Earl Clark
5) Sign Kyle Korver with the MMLE

Steve Nash...Steve Blake
Kobe Bryant...Jodie Meeks
Kyle Korver
Josh Smith...Earl Clark
Dwight Howard...Jordan Hill

Josh Smith? Bleh no thanks. He's getting a max this summer, and the Lakers aren't going to ruin their financial flexibility for Josh freaking Smith. Dude is fools gold.
Frank Dux

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:15 am

Posts about trading for Smith after this game :man10: ... I didn't need to watch this game to know I don't want him on our team ( and never did) but it's hilarious to read some posts about trading for him after tonight ... did we all watch the same game ?
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:13 am

If it wasn't for the bonehead plays & FT shooting, Smith would be a great fit for this team. Granger, Deng, Batum are much better fits in a Pau trade. If we're willing to take Boozer, I think Deng could be the most realistic target. Granger is obviously the odd man out with Paul George emerging. I don't know why Portland would trade Batum but that could change. Pau will be at his peak value next season as an expiring. We're playing this out the right way to get the best deal in the end.
lakersin4

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 am

lakersin4 wrote:If it wasn't for the bonehead plays & FT shooting, Smith would be a great fit for this team.

thats the problem, those things are an everyday part of his game, from the airball 3's, to the horrible ft shooting.......why would anyone expect that change after what 8 season already in the league?
khmrP

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 am

^^ Not a big fan of Smith myself. I don't want him here on a max contract. I'd love to get Granger if his knee is ok. Batum is a terrific young talent but I doubt Portland lets him go. Deng could be good, although I prefer Granger's game by a significant amount. My only concern is his health going forward.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:36 am

khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:If it wasn't for the bonehead plays & FT shooting, Smith would be a great fit for this team.

thats the problem, those things are an everyday part of his game, from the airball 3's, to the horrible ft shooting.......why would anyone expect that change after what 8 season already in the league?

Exactly. That'd be like saying "Man... Spinach is great except for the way it tastes and smells."

Well yeah... that's the reason why people don't love it!

Smith's great except for his poor FTs, poorer decision making, and even poorer jump shot.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 am

If there was ONE player we really needed right now, it's Jordan Hill off the bench.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:58 pm

I have been saying it sinc the Olympics - I hope the Lakers sign Yi when he is done playing in China. He has really improved his game - toughness and playmaking. He could be perfect for 10 mins a game or so to spell Clark and space the floor for dwight. He can put the ball on the floor and make a few plays for Dwight or meeks too. A poor man's gasol. Kove did a commercial with him. Maybe he put the word out. And if Yi were productive with us it will piss of Cuban.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 pm

China isn't even close to the level of the Spanish or even some of the European leagues.

Sorry, but Yi belongs in the Chinese league, he's just too timid in the NBA.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I have been saying it sinc the Olympics - I hope the Lakers sign Yi when he is done playing in China. He has really improved his game - toughness and playmaking. He could be perfect for 10 mins a game or so to spell Clark and space the floor for dwight. He can put the ball on the floor and make a few plays for Dwight or meeks too. A poor man's gasol. Kove did a commercial with him. Maybe he put the word out. And if Yi were productive with us it will piss of Cuban.

Yi played his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] off in the Olympics. Did just about everything for China. Scoring, passing, defense. You name it. But for some reason, his play doesn't transfer to the NBA level.
Kobe8Fan

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 am

That's my point though -- I think he has gotten a ton better. More confident. More aggressive. Doesn't just stand at the 3 point line. Gets a little more physical on defense and has energy with great passing and cuts to the basket.

Him at the 4 with Dwight at the 5 and Kobe at the 3 (with Meeks at the 2) would be great. He provides the spacing that Jamison does, the ability to cut (off pick and roll or weakside) that Clark does, and the passing and mid-range that Gasol does. He is also very tall and athletic -- he can still play above the rim and alter shots (he is getting much much better at help defense) and is fast enough (unlike Gasol) to provide help defense and still recover (including showing and recovering with the pick and roll).

Again, I am only talking about 10-12 minutes per game, and mostly when Dwight runs with the second unit.

Did you guys watch him this summer playing with China? See him play this year for his team? He just won the all-star game MVP last week too -- with 34 points. Granted, the competition is terrible (Marbury had like 25 points in that game, and Tracy McGrady dissed all the Chinese fans by not playing in the game, claiming that he had to visit his sick grandma, but then sit courtside for the Rocks game). With Gasol and Hill out, and now Clark hitting a sort of freshman wall, Yi would be a great fit for us and would thrive opposite Dwight and Kobe and working with Nash in MDA's system. Look what Nash did with much less talented 4s in Phx.

I may be crazy (since he sucked in Was and with Dallas and was softer than Gasol and Webber on their worst days). But from what I have seen in recent months, he has grown a pair and could find his way back in the NBA and be a very poor man's Dirk or a less poos man's LO (or at least a better Okur or Troy Murphy in their primes), esp playing here with Dwight, Hill, and Clark going fwd. I hope Kobe greased the skids with Yi.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:16 am

nah, Yi had several chances in different systems. if he were to grow somewhere, it would've been here.

you're seeing a low nba talent in a bad chinese league.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 am

Maybe. But again, I am only talking about a bench player in limited minutes. Not a star.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 am

Even then, not to discount Yi as I thought he would be much better when he first joined, but his game doesn't translate to the NBA very well.

His only strength is his length. He can shoot over smaller 4's, and block some shots, but he's not the most mobile player. He's an average rebounder, but can really fold against physical players.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:47 am

When I watched him in the NBA, the guy was just slow. His reaction time wasn't there, his movements were too delayed.

He just can't hang with NBA level athletes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion