Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 am

Man, Chandler Parsens is shaping out to be the next Kevin Love. I'd love (pardon the pun) to somehow get him from Houston in a Gasol multi team deal. They'd be fools to let him go, obviously.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 am

Punk-101 wrote:Man, Chandler Parsens is shaping out to be the next Kevin Love. I'd love (pardon the pun) to somehow get him from Houston in a Gasol multi team deal. They'd be fools to let him go, obviously.

They had a similar guy in Budinger who they let go so that they could keep Parsons.

I remember thinking "I LOVE Budinger's game! He shoots, he defends, he's athletic, he does it all!" And then I watched Parsons and realized he does it all too, but a little bit better.

If they don't keep Parsons around I'll be shocked.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 pm

^^^ he's a GREAT shooter, anyone else watch the Mavs game where he scored I think it was 9 or 10 FGs in a row? Definitely gonna shape up to be a great NBA player.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm

I sure wish there was a way we could pry Luol Deng from the Bulls.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel wrote:Former Magic PF Ryan Anderson misses Dwight Howard, too, although he's still thriving without him. There's just a greater degree of difficulty.

Anderson came into Monday's night's game against his former club averaging 16.8 points per game. His numbers mirror last season in Orlando: 16.1 ppg.

Last season's most improved player in the NBA has continued lighting it up from the outside, shooting 39.4 percent from 3-point land.

"My shots are a lot more difficult now. I've had to adjust," Anderson said, sitting by his locker room before tip-off.

Anderson is getting his shots off screens, double-teams and in transition, largely thanks to Hornets point guard Greivis Vasquez.

Anderson played off Howard in Orlando, saying he'd get shots in Orlando off "Dwight double-teams and Dwight kick-outs.

"My situation was made easy because of Dwight … Greivis has done a good job. A lot of my open shots come from him."

Do it Mitch!
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 pm

For sure I'd bring him in. Gasol to Minny, PIeces to New Orleans, Anderson/Vasquez to LA.

:man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:01 am

if the lakers can find a way to trade for a late first round pick in the draft, they should get a SF. there wont be much but looking they should go for someone like Allen Crabbe from CAL.

i've watched him play and hes got some talent. hes still being shaped for the nba but i think after a rookie year he could be ready as a solid backup SF. hes young and a little undersized as a SF so maybe a combo SG/SF which i think could be good for us. idk what lakers future lies for metta or what we do in the offseason but he could be a good pick bc i doubt we keep ebanks. hes from LA and is pretty strong. could be possible if thats what the lakers are looking for moving forward without metta and ebanks and leaning towars clark and hill.
Ariza3

Hawks Waive Newly-Acquired Jeremy Tyler

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:07 am

Hawks Waive Newly-Acquired Jeremy Tyler

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Hawks have waived forward/center Jeremy Tyler, Hawks President of Basketball Operations/General Manager Danny Ferry announced Wednesday.

Acquired from the Golden State Warriors on Feb. 21, Tyler appeared in one game for the Hawks (March 4 at Denver), grabbing three rebounds in five minutes of action.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/hawks-waive-jeremy-tyler
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:52 am

Hm. I wondered what happened to this kid. I guess they replaced him with Festus. I thought he was alright. Good energy and a hard worker, but not very talented at all and not a whole lot of brain power on the court.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 pm

The guys who have returned from China...
Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld wrote:The Chinese Basketball Association has become a fallback option for many professional basketball players who want to continue their career. The CBA has developed into a very competitive league and many former NBA players have taken their talents to East Asia to star on one of its 17 teams.
Privacy Policy | What Is This?

This season, Tracy McGrady, Gilbert Arenas and Eddy Curry were among the players that signed with a CBA team. Now, with the CBA regular season concluded, these players are looking to return to the NBA and sign contracts for the remainder of the season. These players are unrestricted free agents and have until April 17, the final day of the NBA regular season, to sign with a team and be playoff eligible.

Several players have already returned from China and signed with an NBA team. The Boston Celtics signed Terrence Williams (Guangdong Southern Tigers), Shavlik Randolph (Foshan Long Lions) and D.J. White (Shanghai Sharks) to 10-day contracts. Williams was eventually signed to a multi-year deal.

McGrady is the biggest name returning from China, where he averaged 25 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.1 assists in 29 games. McGrady was treated like a rock star in the CBA. He quickly became a fan favorite and his team, the Qingdao Eagles, sold out every away arena. Even though McGrady had individual success, Qingdao finished with the worst record in the CBA at 8-24. Now, McGrady is back in the United States and hoping to join an NBA team for the remainder of the season. He recently attended a Houston Rockets game and sat courtside with team officials, but Houston has a full roster after signing Aaron Brooks. McGrady’s last stint in the NBA was with the Atlanta Hawks, where he averaged 5.3 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 52 games off of Atlanta’s bench. The 33-year-old may have to sign a 10-day contract and prove his value to a team, which is something he hasn’t been willing to do in the past.

Arenas’ stint in China didn’t go so well. While he was successful when he took the court for the Shanghai Sharks – averaging 20.7 points, 7.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists – he only appeared in 14 games. The 30-year-old wasn’t even the most productive player on his team; that designation goes to D.J. White, which is why he landed a contract with the Celtics as soon as he returned to the United States. The 30-year-old Arenas has been a shell of himself in recent seasons. During his stint with the Memphis Grizzlies during the 2011-12 season, Arenas averaged just 4.2 points, 1.1 assists and 1.1 rebounds in 17 games off of Memphis’ bench. Arenas spent last offseason working out in Los Angeles and vowing to make an NBA comeback, but he didn’t receive any interest from NBA teams prior to the start of the season. Now, he’s hoping that a team with a depleted backcourt will take a shot on him, just as Memphis did last March.

Curry may be the most intriguing player returning to the United States. While in China, Curry averaged 23 points and 10.1 boards in 29.6 minutes for Zhejiang Chouzhou Bank. The 30-year-old Curry led the team to the postseason. Now, Curry is back in the United States and has already received inquiries from a number of NBA teams. Prior to signing in China, Curry had successful stints with the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks this season. The odds of Curry landing on an NBA roster are higher than McGrady or Arenas, mainly because teams are already showing interest and he had offers earlier in the season unlike the two veteran guards. Teams are always looking to add a big man to their roster and bolster their frontcourt for the postseason, so don’t be surprised if Curry gets a contract before April 17.

Other former NBA players who can return to the United State are Al Thornton (27.4 points and 9.5 rebounds for the Zhejiang Guangsha Lions), Quincy Douby (31.6 points, 4.4 assists and 3.7 rebounds for the Zhejiang Chouzhou Bank), Gary Forbes (28.4 points, 7.8 rebounds and 4.6 assists for the Zhejiang Guangsha Lions), Lester Hudson (27.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 4.5 assists for the Dongguan Leopards) and Sundiata Gaines (19.1 points, 6.8 rebounds and 4.7 assists for the Fujian Quanzhou Bank) among others. Players such as Stephon Marbury (Beijing Ducks), Yi Jianlian (Guangdong Tigers) and Pooh Jeter (Shandong Bulls) are still competing in the CBA playoffs.
JSM

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:49 pm

We getting T-Mac :man4:
That should make some members happy, still feel bad that other members didn't get Marcus Banks :wink:
D.B. Cooper

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:52 pm

T-Mac is only 30?
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:59 pm

I honestly don't think I'd mind a little McGrady if it meant less MWP.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Balance&Options24 wrote:T-Mac is only 30?

If he can still play D like Grant Hill, I'm down
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Tmac in a 8-10 min strectch off the bench would be nice

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Coach Chris on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
Balance&Options24 wrote:T-Mac is only 30?

If he can still play D like Grant Hill, I'm down

Was he ever that kind of defender?
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby Gman1979 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:52 pm

i wouldn't mind tmac him and kobe always had good chemistry and i think he can give us outside shooting
Gman1979

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 pm

We been desperate for backup SF and C last 2months, FO did nothing. Would be shocking if they added anyone now

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 pm

Watching highlights of TMac in the China league this year. Aside from the competition, he still looks like he has some legs left in him. Definitely could contribute for 8-10 minutes at the SF spot.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Marc J Spears of Yahoo wrote: Point guard Brandon Jennings, a soon-to-be restricted free agent, says if he signs a one-year qualifying offer with Milwaukee this offseason, expect his days with the Bucks to be limited to one season.

"If I take the qualifying offer and become an [unrestricted] free agent there is no way I am coming back," Jennings told Yahoo! Sports on Friday after practice. "There is no way."

Jennings considers Milwaukee a "great sports town" and has enjoyed his time there, but in order to keep him long term, Jennings said the Bucks' offer must be lucrative and there needs to be changes in the roster and the organization to make it championship caliber.

He turned down a four-year, $40 million deal prior to this season, a source told Yahoo! Sports. A one-year qualifying offer would be worth about $4.5 million for Jennings.

Jennings plays in one of the NBA's smallest markets and is rarely seen on national television. The Los Angeles native admits that a bigger market is attractive but his preference is to play for a title contender, regardless of a city's size. Jennings noted that the Oklahoma City Thunder play in a small market, but made it to the NBA Finals last season and are frequently on national television.

The Bucks have made one playoff appearance in Jennings' previous three seasons, pushing the Atlanta Hawks to seven games in the first round in 2010 before bowing out. Milwaukee is expected to make the postseason as a seventh or eighth seed this season, but is a long shot to advance, especially if it draws the Miami Heat in the first round.

"I just want to win," Jennings said. "The way I am playing now, I just want to go to a winning team and play like that. I don't care about being a superstar or being the main guy. I did that [the] first four years. I just want to win and be somewhere where it's all about winning.

"I'm not saying the Bucks aren't about winning. But I think [a title caliber situation] will help me, motivate my game and then you have to perform."

Jennings is averaging 18.4 points, a career-high 6.6 assists and 1.8 steals this season. He believes he has proven he is more than a score-first point guard since the All-Star Break by averaging 17.6 points and 10.4 assists while shooting 48.8 from 3-point range. Jennings says he'll be more pass-first minded from now on.

"Everybody says I'm just a shooter, I'm just a scorer," Jennings said. "But if you go back to my high school days, I've always been a pass-first point guard. Now that we got J.J. [Redick], who's a good scorer, now I'm just looking for options all the time.

"Basically, I should have been doing what I've been doing the last three months. Is it too late? I don't know. But maybe it's a good way to start showing what else I can do."

The Bucks have Jennings' "Bird Rights" and can pay him for five seasons where another team could give him only a four-year offer. There is a risk if Jennings signs a one-year, qualifying offer while turning down lengthy deals. What if he gets hurt or underperforms? But Jennings, 23, is known for being cavalier.

He was the first American to go from high school to playing professional basketball in Europe when he suited up in Italy for a season. Instead of signing with a more well-known shoe company, Jennings was Under Armour's first major basketball client.

"If you think about it I still do have power," Jennings said. "If anything is offered out there that doesn't mean I have to accept it, right? That means next season I will be playing and then I will become a free agent and can go anywhere I want to go.

"It doesn't mean if another team offers me something or the Bucks offer me something that I have to take it. I can still play it out. That's something I've been thinking about. Then I can really have the power to really make my own decision."
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:24 am

Come here for the mini-MLE. Big market... Title contender (if we heal up and make some other moves)...

Just saying. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 am

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
As I reported yesterday, the Utah Jazz have waived Raja Bell to make room for D-League call-up Travis Leslie.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Raja Bell isn't playoff eligible because he wasn't waived by 3/1. Smart move by Utah. As I hinted before, the Jazz didn't want to help L.A.
JSM

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 am

Figures.
D.B. Cooper

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 am

Surely we can trade some scraps for Avery Bradley. Right?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 am

Jazz didn't want to help us pass them by giving us Bell.....

Jazz helping us pass them by not worrying about themselves....

Keep crappin' the bed Utah, your fans deserve every loss that gets you further and further from getting a playoff spot.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion