Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:41 am

You don't trade a guy like Wall unless it's the last resort and if you do, you don't trade for old guys.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 am

It could end up being a last resort, but the Lakers aren't front runners for Wall.

I could see Kevin Love getting moved in a Wall trade. Love to WAS, Wall to 3rd team (LAKERS!?!), and Pau to MIN? + pieces.

Obviously this is me being pipe, but I don't think some kind of 3-team trade is out of the question for Wall. I think he wants to get out of WAS, so WAS may not have a choice but to trade.

Everyone should learn from the LeBronisode that business > loyalty
Chillbongo

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 am

lakersin4 wrote:I don't know.. Nene/Pau is a really interesting fit. Especially with Nash back in control of an offense. Then they still have their future star in Beal. Could work for them, especially if Wall tells them he'll walk for nothing.

Put yourself in there shoes with Howard, would you trade Howard for 2 old guys and no other assests if Howard said he doesn't want to resign here?
khmrP

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 am

No, but that's because I'm a douche bag. You know why? Because my first thought was,

"hell no, we're the Lakers"

Washington wishes they had that clout.
Chillbongo

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 am

Chillbongo wrote:No, but that's because I'm a douche bag. You know why? Because my first thought was,

"hell no, we're the Lakers"

Washington wishes they had that clout.

do they need it? MONEY speaks volumes under these new CBA, its probably #1 reason Howard would resign here.
khmrP

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Yeah, well we're kind of in that situation with Pau. But it's more because Pau has dwindled. We're going to take less than we deserve for Pau.

IF a Dwight trade was on the table, we'd still not settle for what other teams would. Money talks but, location, location, location.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Washington really isn't that stressed over money. By the time Wall expires the only major contract on board is Nene. Beal is still on his rookie contract along with a few other young guys, but other than that there's no real money tied up.

They have no real motive to moving Wall for other pieces. If Wall wanted to let money go, he can walk, and it'd probably be best for both teams. Washington gets a ton of cap to build around Beal and Nene and Wall leaves.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:You don't trade a guy like Wall unless it's the last resort and if you do, you don't trade for old guys.

Especially when you aren't in a win now mode. Trading for Pau and Nash would make more sense if you're a playoff team and are one or two pieces away from contending. Wizards are five starters away from contending.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:You don't trade a guy like Wall unless it's the last resort and if you do, you don't trade for old guys.

Especially when you aren't in a win now mode. Trading for Pau and Nash would make more sense if you're a playoff team and are one or two pieces away from contending. Wizards are five starters away from contending.

Good point.

There's really nothing we could offer them that would really make sense for them. Unless we volunteered to take on Nene's horrid contract.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 am

Will Bynum and Randy Foye are the two guards I'd want. Those 2 back Nash/Kobe would be very nice. Problem is, that in all likely hood, we can't afford them

Jarret Jack is also available this summer, but again, doubt we can afford him.

I'm going to think we are keeping MDA and thus here is what we need:

1)Speed/defensive/penetration at the backup PG
2) Athletic SF who can guard the ebst player on the other team and be a knock down shooter
3)A guard who can come up the bench and be a go to scorer like Crawford and JR Swish
Center Court

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:30 pm

i miss having shannon brown off the bench. hes getting DNP's now for the Suns. He was explosive...would finish a fast break guaranteed. would get back on d. could stay in front of his man some what. could hit outside shots. free throws.

id take him back. his dunks and alleyoops could change a game. him and blake worked well together.
Ariza3

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Do you think there is any chance the Lakers trade Nash this offseason? It seems like it would be against our franchises character despite being the smart basketball decision. He has essentially been turned into a spot up shooter with no defense. I think Blake might be a better fit right now with "Free Safety" Kobe and the plodding MWP already on the perimeter.
Savory Griddles

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Hickson? Athletic PF who can has a nice mid range game

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2013/04/writing_is_on_the_wall_jj_hickson_and_the_trail_bl.html

There are no hard feelings and no regrets, but it appears this will be the final week that J.J. Hickson and the Trail Blazers are together, with both sides acknowledging this week that the writing is on the wall.
The Blazers, who have given up the most interior points in the NBA, want to find a more defensive-oriented center next season, while Hickson - a power forward who bit his tongue and played as an undersized center for the Blazers - wants to start, and is eager to test his market value when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Blazers general manager Neil Olshey this week said he is not ruling out keeping Hickson on the roster, but he doubts the team will have the role, and the money, to pacify Hickson’s desires next season.

“For us to make a jump next season, J.J. can’t be our starting center,’’ Olshey said, referencing the Blazers’ 47.4 points allowed in the paint per game, an NBA high. “I’m not saying he can’t be part of the roster. But we need to find a starting-caliber center who protects the rim and gets defensive rebounds at a high rate and that has a presence. And we have to do a better job at defending the paint. So you have to ask: Is it likely there is enough minutes to commit the kind of dollars J.J. will command, when clearly there are other positions that need to be upgraded? Probably not.’’

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:11 pm

They want a defensive Center, eh?

Then I guess that report about Portland being interested in Pau is way off base. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:Do you think there is any chance the Lakers trade Nash this offseason? It seems like it would be against our franchises character despite being the smart basketball decision. He has essentially been turned into a spot up shooter with no defense. I think Blake might be a better fit right now with "Free Safety" Kobe and the plodding MWP already on the perimeter.

I still think a Nash/Kobe backcourt could work. We need a faster more athletic front-court, though. Nash isn't the best defender and Kobe has been suspect this year at best. However, the problem gets exacerbated when you a slow Metta, Pau, and this year a hobbled Howard in the 1st half of the season.

If we address this problem in the off-season by adding players that are quicker in the SF, PF, positions, we could compensate for Kobe and Nash in the backcourt with more team speed that would go a long way. We've seen what Earl can do when he contribute as I've said before. We'll see, though.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 am

He's not young or athletic :man10: but what do you guys think bout giving the full mini MLE to Dunleavy if Metta opts out and ext. for less for longer years? Dunleavy is decent backup for both the 3 and the 2 at times. He's slow and doesn't play much D but if this dude got the green light like Meeks I couldn't imagine him shooting as horribly as Meeks is right now.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 am

khmrP wrote:He's not young or athletic :man10: but what do you guys think bout giving the full mini MLE to Dunleavy if Metta opts out and ext. for less for longer years? Dunleavy is decent backup for both the 3 and the 2 at times. He's slow and doesn't play much D but if this dude got the green light like Meeks I couldn't imagine him shooting as horribly as Meeks is right now.

He's slow and doesn't play much D

That's all you got to say for me to say hell no to him. We don't need any more players that fit either of those descriptions.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am

Dunleavy? Hell no, I'd have to think about even giving him the vet minimum.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenshi1023 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

roster improvement AND personnel improvement...

bring in phil as VP and replace mda with rambis and shaws.
jimmy retires and takes the role of the late jerry, where he just gambles and hangs out at the playboys mansion.
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 pm

but he can backup both the 2 and the 3....yes his D is nothing to brag about but its can't be any worse than Meeks and I dont forsee Dunleavy getting punked in the post by SG like Meeks does and its safe to say based on his 40% +3pt shooting on a sub par team like the Bucks, I think we can easily assume he replicate or improve on that % here give the amt of open looks he'll get like Meeks does.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 pm

I prefer Meeks for the minimum than Dunleavy for any price. Meeks has his good games and he hustles. We don't need anymore old, slow, unathletic players that don't play defense. The only shooter I would compromise defense to bring in is Kyle Korver. Dunleavy is not worth the MLE and IMO would be yet another terrible free agent signing.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Weezy wrote:Dunleavy? Hell no, I'd have to think about even giving him the vet minimum.

We have enough white, unathletic dudes... im with Weezy on this one.
kenzo

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 pm

kenzo wrote:
Weezy wrote:Dunleavy? Hell no, I'd have to think about even giving him the vet minimum.

why race gota be invovled? :man10: as for Korver, yea good luck trying to get him for that kind of low end money and defensively he blows just as bad and is purely a 1 trick pony. Dunleavy is a poors Odom, probably does more than Odom these days. Athleticism/Speed can only do you so much cause Meeks has em but has the IQ of a snail.
khmrP

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

No to old players. We need guys who can run, hustle and shoot.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 pm

khmrP wrote:
kenzo wrote:

why race gota be invovled? :man10: as for Korver, yea good luck trying to get him for that kind of low end money and defensively he blows just as bad and is purely a 1 trick pony. Dunleavy is a poors Odom, probably does more than Odom these days. Athleticism/Speed can only do you so much cause Meeks has em but has the IQ of a snail.

Korver I would pay MLE for. He might not be great on D, but he's a deadly shooter and makes up for it there. Dunleavy is 32, no thanks. I only consider a guy like Dunleavy after we have filled the roster with guys that can make up for him defensively, I don't throw the MLE at him and fill pretty much no real needs.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion