Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 am

khmrP wrote:He's not young or athletic :man10: but what do you guys think bout giving the full mini MLE to Dunleavy if Metta opts out and ext. for less for longer years? Dunleavy is decent backup for both the 3 and the 2 at times. He's slow and doesn't play much D but if this dude got the green light like Meeks I couldn't imagine him shooting as horribly as Meeks is right now.

He's slow and doesn't play much D

That's all you got to say for me to say hell no to him. We don't need any more players that fit either of those descriptions.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am

Dunleavy? Hell no, I'd have to think about even giving him the vet minimum.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenshi1023 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

roster improvement AND personnel improvement...

bring in phil as VP and replace mda with rambis and shaws.
jimmy retires and takes the role of the late jerry, where he just gambles and hangs out at the playboys mansion.
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 pm

but he can backup both the 2 and the 3....yes his D is nothing to brag about but its can't be any worse than Meeks and I dont forsee Dunleavy getting punked in the post by SG like Meeks does and its safe to say based on his 40% +3pt shooting on a sub par team like the Bucks, I think we can easily assume he replicate or improve on that % here give the amt of open looks he'll get like Meeks does.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 pm

I prefer Meeks for the minimum than Dunleavy for any price. Meeks has his good games and he hustles. We don't need anymore old, slow, unathletic players that don't play defense. The only shooter I would compromise defense to bring in is Kyle Korver. Dunleavy is not worth the MLE and IMO would be yet another terrible free agent signing.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Weezy wrote:Dunleavy? Hell no, I'd have to think about even giving him the vet minimum.

We have enough white, unathletic dudes... im with Weezy on this one.
kenzo

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 pm

kenzo wrote:
Weezy wrote:Dunleavy? Hell no, I'd have to think about even giving him the vet minimum.

why race gota be invovled? :man10: as for Korver, yea good luck trying to get him for that kind of low end money and defensively he blows just as bad and is purely a 1 trick pony. Dunleavy is a poors Odom, probably does more than Odom these days. Athleticism/Speed can only do you so much cause Meeks has em but has the IQ of a snail.
khmrP

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

No to old players. We need guys who can run, hustle and shoot.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 pm

khmrP wrote:
kenzo wrote:

why race gota be invovled? :man10: as for Korver, yea good luck trying to get him for that kind of low end money and defensively he blows just as bad and is purely a 1 trick pony. Dunleavy is a poors Odom, probably does more than Odom these days. Athleticism/Speed can only do you so much cause Meeks has em but has the IQ of a snail.

Korver I would pay MLE for. He might not be great on D, but he's a deadly shooter and makes up for it there. Dunleavy is 32, no thanks. I only consider a guy like Dunleavy after we have filled the roster with guys that can make up for him defensively, I don't throw the MLE at him and fill pretty much no real needs.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Weezy wrote:
khmrP wrote:
kenzo wrote:

Korver I would pay MLE for. He might not be great on D, but he's a deadly shooter and makes up for it there. Dunleavy is 32, no thanks. I only consider a guy like Dunleavy after we have filled the roster with guys that can make up for him defensively, I don't throw the MLE at him and fill pretty much no real needs.

I'm not trying to sell Dunleavy on you but he is shooting 43% from 3's only 2% worse than Korver. Korver can only shoot and based on our own prior meetings with him in Utah and what I saw during his performance with Chi last year, he's easily shut down if you dont allow him to get open because he can't do nothing else but shoot. Like I said just a suggestion, thats not alot of athletes that can shoot and defend thats gona take the MINI mle, I just thought Dunleavy ball handling and shooting abilities could help the bench unit.
khmrP

Postby borri on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Good job Pau on increasing your trade value! :jam2:
borri

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:13 pm

I guess I just see Korver as much more of a deadly shooter, you can't leave him open for a second. He just plays like a younger guy to me still even though he and Dunleavy are the same age. I'd rather go after Dorell Wright than either of them though, we need to get younger and more athletic, not keep adding old dudes.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Luke Walton 2.0 without the passing ability and the court vision but can hit the perimeter shot. Think that over... :man12:
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Weezy wrote:I guess I just see Korver as much more of a deadly shooter, you can't leave him open for a second. He just plays like a younger guy to me still even though he and Dunleavy are the same age. I'd rather go after Dorell Wright than either of them though, we need to get younger and more athletic, not keep adding old dudes.

i'm fine with him if he's willing to accept that mini mle money.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Two different scenarios make me say yay and nay (not a 1st choice) about Dunleavy.....

Yay - We trade Pau and get 2-3 solid role players, which if he keeps playing this way, it's becoming more realistic. Those players should be younger and more athletic, so adding a Dunleavy to mix in would probably be a smart move.

Nay - We stand pat and in that case I would want to spend the mini-MLE on the best available player we could get a the 2/3 spot. Dunleavy would be a few choices down the line.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm

gcclaker wrote:

Luke Walton 2.0 without the passing ability and the court vision but can hit the perimeter shot. Think that over... :man12:

just cause they're both white doesn't mean they're comparable and Dunleavy avg. 2.4 asst for his career vs. Puke 2.3, Puke only had that one good season with his 4.3 asst per.
khmrP

Postby gcclaker on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:29 pm

^I haven't followed his career much but Dunleavy was deemed a good prospect out of Duke. He has been injured and slow to recover the last few years I believe. That was the one comparison I had in mind. I do think Dunleavy is a more respectable shooter than Walton ever was. Oh and I would agree with Weezy on Wright.

Seriously though...if Dunleavy was to be on board that's who most Laker fans will compare him to.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:24 pm

No to Dunleavy, c'mon.

How many times this season have we complained that teams just run right past us? How in the world is Dunleavy going to help that?

This team needs YOUTH and ATHLETICISM. Not everywhere, but enough of it. We have almost NONE. This summer should be focused absolutely on getting players who can get after the ball defensively and run with some of these fast teams.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:No to Dunleavy, c'mon.

How many times this season have we complained that teams just run right past us? How in the world is Dunleavy going to help that?

This team needs YOUTH and ATHLETICISM. Not everywhere, but enough of it. We have almost NONE. This summer should be focused absolutely on getting players who can get after the ball defensively and run with some of these fast teams.

youth/athleticism dont cheap especially skilled ones, thus the reason we got Jodi so cheap.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:33 pm

khmrP wrote:

youth/athleticism dont cheap especially skilled ones, thus the reason we got Jodi so cheap.

And yet Jodie is one of our young, athletic players that plays with energy. If we had a bench full of "Jodie"s we'd be pretty solid.

Let me put it this way: Jordan Hill is a "Jodie Meeks". He's not terribly talented or gifted but boy does he work hard and do what he can on the court. If we had 5 guys like that off the bench, we'd be in tip-top shape. Give me a young, dynamic SF off the bench like a Chandler, or even a Brewer or Gee, and we're talking about a way different team today (assuming Hill stays healthy).

We don't need another Antawn Jamison. We need another Jordan Hill or Jodie Meeks.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:

And yet Jodie is one of our young, athletic players that plays with energy. If we had a bench full of "Jodie"s we'd be pretty solid.

Let me put it this way: Jordan Hill is a "Jodie Meeks". He's not terribly talented or gifted but boy does he work hard and do what he can on the court. If we had 5 guys like that off the bench, we'd be in tip-top shape. Give me a young, dynamic SF off the bench like a Chandler, or even a Brewer or Gee, and we're talking about a way different team today (assuming Hill stays healthy).

We don't need another Antawn Jamison. We need another Jordan Hill or Jodie Meeks.

and as already noted by others all that hustle effort results in very little to even negative results with Jodie alot of hte times. JHill took a pay cut otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford him. So you get what you pay for, if you want more Jodi Meeks type for that 1.5 mill contract you'll get more of the same crap that comes with it like getting beasted on D and bricking shot after shot.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:43 pm

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't want 5 Jodie Meeks clones running off the bench. The very idea is idiotic.

I want 5 guys who are going to come in like their butts are on fire and work tirelessly for me. Jodie will do that. Jordan will do that. There's hundreds of athletes across the country who will do that. A couple examples from teams that are utilizing these types of guys: Amundson, Hollins (Clippers), Matt Barnes, Alonzo Gee, etc.

Guys that don't stop working hard. Steve Blake has earned my respect for the season, he's fine. Jamison is fine even though he's not exactly young and athletic. If Hill could stay healthy he's perfect. Jodie isn't great, but he's worth the price. Only thing missing is the most important piece in today's game: backup SF. We need a dynamic young guy there. He doesn't have to be a shooter or a scorer, he just has to work his butt off, get after it defensively, and run the floor when there's an opportunity for it. I don't have the list in front of me, but I'm sure we could get at least 5 guys like that for cheap.

Obviously it'd be more ideal if we could do that for our starting 1, 3, 4 spot, but it is what it is.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 pm

^^^I understood your point, and mine wasn't to say all 5 Meeks either, its to say the price you want to pay you get these types of players with alot of glaring weakness, Jodie has young/athleticism but now we see why we got him so cheap, he's not very good.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:53 pm

khmrP wrote:^^^I understood your point, and mine wasn't to say all 5 Meeks either, its to say the price you want to pay you get these types of players with alot of glaring weakness, Jodie has young/athleticism but now we see why we got him so cheap, he's not very good.

Here's some guys that went for the minimum THIS season that could help us next season from the 2/3 position:

Wayne Ellington, Cartier Martin, Roger Mason Jr., Chris Douglas-Roberts, Matt Barnes, Marquis Daniels. That's 6 guys immediately I could name that signed for the minimum that would have at least given us some decent depth.

There's a bunch that expire that will only command the mini-MLE or some portion of it:

Dahntay Jones, Xavier Henry, Ronnie Brewer, Randy Foye, Omri Casspi, Anthony Morrow, Corey Brewer, Chase Budinger, Dorrell Wright, Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster.

I'd say maybe two or three of those guys go for over the mini-MLE. Maybe.

Are any of them great? No. But we aren't going to get great players in free agency this season anyway.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:59 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:^^^I understood your point, and mine wasn't to say all 5 Meeks either, its to say the price you want to pay you get these types of players with alot of glaring weakness, Jodie has young/athleticism but now we see why we got him so cheap, he's not very good.

Here's some guys that went for the minimum THIS season that could help us next season from the 2/3 position:

Wayne Ellington, Cartier Martin, Roger Mason Jr., Chris Douglas-Roberts, Matt Barnes, Marquis Daniels. That's 6 guys immediately I could name that signed for the minimum that would have at least given us some decent depth.

There's a bunch that expire that will only command the mini-MLE or some portion of it:

Dahntay Jones, Xavier Henry, Ronnie Brewer, Randy Foye, Omri Casspi, Anthony Morrow, Corey Brewer, Chase Budinger, Dorrell Wright, Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster.

I'd say maybe two or three of those guys go for over the mini-MLE. Maybe.

Are any of them great? No. But we aren't going to get great players in free agency this season anyway.

good list of players there for us to consider. I agree, those players aren't anything great but we'll be really limited in free agency like you said.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion