Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

The Matt Barnes thing pisses me off. He obviously wanted to stay in LA, took the minimum, and we have no real backup SF. It makes no damn sense.

Someone clearly mis-evaluated Devin Ebanks talent....I mean is there any other explanation? Unless Mike Brown just had it in for him. Gosh, that would suck and be idiotic of management.
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Chillbongo wrote:The Matt Barnes thing pisses me off. He obviously wanted to stay in LA, took the minimum, and we have no real backup SF. It makes no damn sense.

Someone clearly mis-evaluated Devin Ebanks talent....I mean is there any other explanation? Unless Mike Brown just had it in for him. Gosh, that would suck and be idiotic of management.

I'm pretty sure Barnes said himself that the reason he left the Lakers was Mike Brown.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Weezy wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:The Matt Barnes thing pisses me off. He obviously wanted to stay in LA, took the minimum, and we have no real backup SF. It makes no damn sense.

I'm pretty sure Barnes said himself that the reason he left the Lakers was Mike Brown.

Yes. A fan asked him about it on Twitter and that was what Barnes stated.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:01 pm

MDA would probably like Barnes as a starter or off the bench. He can play fast, and he has good chemistry with the rest of the Lakers. Oh well. He would probably get injured right before the playoffs.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Well that's unfortunate. Was it that he and Brown butted heads? Did Barnes leave on his own? I'm sure we could've offered him $1M to stay. A bit more than he's getting from the Clappers.
Chillbongo

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:33 pm

kenshi1023 wrote:roster improvement AND personnel improvement...

bring in phil as VP and replace mda with rambis and shaws.
jimmy retires and takes the role of the late jerry, where he just gambles and hangs out at the playboys mansion.

Totally agree...but I wouldn't go as far to say that Jimmy retires. His dad gave it to him, so it's his...but try to stay out of the way and let the bball heads make the bball decisions. When finances come in, then BOTH Jeanie and Jimmy should summon their deciding vote.

But I want management to make a decision on what direction to take the team first. If its with MDA (please God no) then trade Pau for the type of players he needs for his offense, so that Kobe and our vets are not run into the ground. If its with another coach, then make the hire and then tweak the roster.

Please do not hit home runs like they did last summer and then force fit the coach to it. "Wella, this Nash fella is good at PnR and so is this Howard guy...lets bring in a coach who is known for it too" :bang:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Well that's unfortunate. Was it that he and Brown butted heads? Did Barnes leave on his own? I'm sure we could've offered him $1M to stay. A bit more than he's getting from the Clappers.

Here's some good info on it, more of his own words.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/11/30/3710740/matt-barnes-on-why-he-isnt-in-purple-and-gold-mike-brown

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/28/sports/la-sp-ln-matt-barnes-time-lakers-bad-situation-20121228

According to an NBA executive, one of the main reasons the Clippers have won so many in a row is "Matt Barnes is playing out of his mind."

When told of the comments, Barnes' response included a slam of ex-Lakers coach, Mike Brown.

"I've been working hard these past few summers. Last year, playing with the Lakers, I was told when I could shoot. If I made mistakes, I'd come out of the game," said Barnes. "This year [Coach] Vinny [Del Negro] has installed a lot of trust in me. He lets me go out there and play my game. If I mess up, he still sticks with me and that goes a long way with any player."

Barnes' year with Phil Jackson was a disappointment when he simply wasn't healthy for the postseason. Last year the forward played 63 games, in the lockout-shortened 66-game regular season, for Brown, averaging 7.8 points a game on 45.2% shooting. While he was banged up throughout the playoffs once again, Barnes clearly didn't feel like he had Brown's trust.

"Coach [Del Negro] has confidence in me; that's all I need," said Barnes. "I can play. I've just been stuck in a bad situation for a little while."

Of course now that the Lakers have Coach Mike D'Antoni running the team, Barnes would have been a much more natural fit. Over the offseason, the Lakers did not look to re-sign him and the Clippers were happy to bring the veteran aboard for his second stint with the team.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I do remember reading about this now. Guess us not having him this year is really showing right about now.
Chillbongo

Postby Center Court on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
kenshi1023 wrote:roster improvement AND personnel improvement...

bring in phil as VP and replace mda with rambis and shaws.
jimmy retires and takes the role of the late jerry, where he just gambles and hangs out at the playboys mansion.

Totally agree...but I wouldn't go as far to say that Jimmy retires. His dad gave it to him, so it's his...but try to stay out of the way and let the bball heads make the bball decisions. When finances come in, then BOTH Jeanie and Jimmy should summon their deciding vote.

But I want management to make a decision on what direction to take the team first. If its with MDA (please God no) then trade Pau for the type of players he needs for his offense, so that Kobe and our vets are not run into the ground. If its with another coach, then make the hire and then tweak the roster.

Please do not hit home runs like they did last summer and then force fit the coach to it. "Wella, this Nash fella is good at PnR and so is this Howard guy...lets bring in a coach who is known for it too" :bang:

Agreed 1000%

A clear direction is what is needed... right now, that's what we need most.

If it's MDA, hire Alvin Gentry and other coaches who know his system. Trade Pau for a collection of pieces, find an athletic SF. and shooters all over.

If it's PJ or another HC who would value slow down, pound it inside style of play, then keep Pau, find some speed and shooters.

Either way we need some speed and spacing at the starting SF, a penetrating backup PG, and shooters. The difference between coaches is what we'l' do with Pau.

Korver has earned himself a nice full MLE type deal, Jack has earned a nice contract too. Those guys whould be my ideal pick ups but never happening. MAYBE Korver but doubt it.

the new CBA really hurts our ability to be competitive in adding to our roster.

Should kept Barnes and Sessions. Just imagine how different things would be...
Center Court

Postby noobiew on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 pm

John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, Stephen Curry

Who should be our future PG in the purple and gold, damn I can't choose !
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby XXIV on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:24 am

Add starting SG to the list.
XXIV

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:26 am

noobiew wrote:John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, Stephen Curry

Who should be our future PG in the purple and gold, damn I can't choose !

Kyrie.. do it mitchell
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Helljumper on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:41 pm

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/04/lake ... layer.html

Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles hears that Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak is now scouring the free agent market for another wing player to add with Kobe Bryant out. Although recently waived Stephen Jackson is available, he wouldn't be playoff eligible since he was released after the March buyout deadline. The same applies to Raja Bell, another target earlier this season.

Though the loss of Kobe creates a large opening with regards to minutes, it's difficult to imagine Kupchak adding a player who can take on a significant role immediately this late into the season. One could make a strong argument that a reasonable target would be one that either has familiarity with the team's current personnel or a veteran with playoff experience.

According to our list of current available free agents, Chris Douglas-Roberts - a Lakers training camp participant last October - is available and would be cleared to play in the postseason. Another option could be Maurice Evans, a former member of the purple and gold from 2006 to 2008, who has been waiting all year for an opportunity to play.
Helljumper

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Bring back CDR. :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Would love to see CDR back, even if for just a few games. He's gotta be fresh, and while not anything close to a star he's another hustle guy from what I saw, kinda like a smaller Earl Clark with more scoring ability.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:59 pm

In before someone mentions T-Mac :man12:
kenzo

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 pm

CDR is one of if not my first option, but I'd be okay with T-Mac too
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:20 pm

gl0cked and loaded
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby khmrP on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Tmac :jam2:
khmrP

Postby karacha on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:24 pm

CDR, sure, let's get him. He can play.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Speaking of former Lakers...I saw that Laron Profit is an assistant coach for the Magic.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:43 pm

trodgers wrote:gl0cked and loaded

Definitely wouldn't mind getting Glock back. Really think he could strive as our backup PG if Nash continues to be out for a while.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:07 pm

wb glock, it'll be interesting to see how his game has matured since he left us. i'm glad he's been active in the d-league at least so there shouldn't be any issues of conditioning.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby trodgers on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:02 am

Fist pump.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:10 am

trodgers wrote:Fist pump.

Obligatory since it's the Masters...

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion