Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:39 am

^ We need an athletic YOUNG defensive minded 3, as well as a PASS FIRST shoot second YOUNG point guard, who can also knock down shots consistently from the outside. Then we'd be pretty much set.
LAKEROC

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:14 pm

The Suns just fired their GM and it doesn't look like Hunter is coming back. Hopefully the new GM and coach want Pau. The Suns have a lot of players that we could use.

Frye/Beasley/Dudley/ShanWow/Scola

Frye/Beasley/Dudley would be awesome, but the FO would never do it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Doc Brown wrote:The Suns just fired their GM and it doesn't look like Hunter is coming back. Hopefully the new GM and coach want Pau. The Suns have a lot of players that we could use.

Frye/Beasley/Dudley/ShanWow/Scola

Frye/Beasley/Dudley would be awesome, but the FO would never do it.

Pho would have to pay us to take Beasley, I never seen a player wear out his welcome as quickly as Beasley has.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Shannon and Gortat complained a lot this season as well. Beasley has had his problems in the past, but it doesn't mean he was problem in this situation.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Shannon and Gortat complained a lot this season as well. Beasley has had his problems in the past, but it doesn't mean he was problem in this situation.

I'm not talking bout players complaining, talking bout coaches/front office complaining about Beasly, there's been multiple reports over the season of the distraction that Beasly caues. Shannon didn't complained, his name came up cause he stopped getting PT after Hunter took over and based on his response I saw nothing of the complaining sort, he responded pretty much "it is what it is"
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 am

^ Dude he said he was sick of getting lied to. Sounds like complaining to me.

From that team I'd take Goran Dragic, Wesley Johnson, Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, Shannon Brown, and Michael Beasley. In that order.

In fact let's send them Gasol/Nash for Gortat/Gragic/Johnson (re-signed)/Dudley

Aw yeah.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 am

^^^Lakers can't take incoming player via S&T, even sending out that much salary the incoming will put them over the $4mill threhold over luxury line.
khmrP

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Dude he said he was sick of getting lied to. Sounds like complaining to me.

From that team I'd take Goran Dragic, Wesley Johnson, Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, Shannon Brown, and Michael Beasley. In that order.

In fact let's send them Gasol/Nash for Gortat/Gragic/Johnson (re-signed)/Dudley

Aw yeah.

I'd take that, even without Wes since he can't be included. Dragic & Dudley are instant upgrades at positions where we need it. Not too crazy about seeing Gortat/D12 frontlines out there, I think we'd ship him to a 3rd team for young depth & a 1st. With Hill back next season he'd likely get the backup C minutes if Pau goes out. Wouldn't doubt if we take Shannon also to chuck while Kobe's out.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:54 am

Guys it was a joke... I know we can't sign and trade and that trade is ridiculous for Phoenix.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:05 am

We need an athletic, defensive 3 who can shoot the 3. Then, we need a backup with the exact same traits. We have been forever lacking in this area with Ariza being the exception.
charvin

Postby dj vitus on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:18 am

What if we dumped Pau for a $19M trade exception?

Since S&T deals don't work for us anymore, this might be another avenue we can use to get some good pieces in return.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am

dj vitus wrote:What if we dumped Pau for a $19M trade exception?

Since S&T deals don't work for us anymore, this might be another avenue we can use to get some good pieces in return.

except we have to find a Taker for him and we have to still get enough pieces in return (high draft picks?) to make that trade. Highly unlikely. Right now Pau's situation is very unpredictable. Lots of factors

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 pm

John Ireland said this today:

There's going to be an order to things this summer. First of all, money is an issue, but not THE issue. If they feel they're fielding a contender, money is no object. But if they feel they're paying 100 million for guys that can't get the job done, no one is safe this summer.

The order is as follows:
1. Dwight. If/when he re-signs is the absolute first priority.
2. When Dwight re-signs, it's very possible he either demands a new coach or demands a defensive minded assistant. That will be the second order after Dwight.
3. Depending on the coach, Pau will be moved. There's a market out there for him and we'll move him if we have to. (Phil would basically be the only reason he'd stay unless Dwight demanded that he stay).
4. Everything else; including re-signing Clark and Jamison and so forth.

With that said, I think Pau is out the door this summer no matter what happens. It just so happens that he's playing at such an incredible level that I think his value is being raised by the minute. Hopefully he keeps it up for... at least 3 more games. :man12:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Thank God. Forget an assistant, ship his a** out and get us a new damn coach.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Don't misunderstand though Chill, I should also note it's entirely possible he DOESN'T say anything about the coach.

In that case D'Antoni stays, no question.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Dear Dwight,

Don't learn from your PR mistakes now. CL is praying for you.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm

:man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:John Ireland said this today:

There's going to be an order to things this summer. First of all, money is an issue, but not THE issue. If they feel they're fielding a contender, money is no object. But if they feel they're paying 100 million for guys that can't get the job done, no one is safe this summer.

The order is as follows:
2. When Dwight re-signs, it's very possible he either demands a new coach or demands a defensive minded assistant. That will be the second order after Dwight.
3. Depending on the coach, Pau will be moved. There's a market out there for him and we'll move him if we have to. (Phil would basically be the only reason he'd stay unless Dwight demanded that he stay).

With that said, I think Pau is out the door this summer no matter what happens. It just so happens that he's playing at such an incredible level that I think his value is being raised by the minute. Hopefully he keeps it up for... at least 3 more games. :man12:

Interesting. I think Dwight resigns, and Pau is traded. Everything else is up in the air, IMO
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:John Ireland said this today:

The order is as follows:

If we get a young athletic starting SF, backup PG & quick defensive minded PF that can hit the 3 for Pau, we're set (Budinger,Dwill2, Barea, AK might fit the bill). If he keeps playing like this we should have plenty of takers for 'the big expiring'. Bringing back Clark is really important too.. Jamison depends on if we landing a PF in a Pau trade. If we have starting PF/Clark/Hill I think we're set.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Kenyon Martin is killing it on defense for the Knicks so far in the playoffs. Too bad we didn't have a chance to pick him up. :freak2:
Doc Brown

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 am

Doc Brown wrote:Kenyon Martin is killing it on defense for the Knicks so far in the playoffs. Too bad we didn't have a chance to pick him up. :freak2:

Dude, Morris and Ebanks were much more valuable roster spots than some vet min signings like Nate Rob and Kmart would have been for our team. :man6:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:36 am

Punk-101 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Kenyon Martin is killing it on defense for the Knicks so far in the playoffs. Too bad we didn't have a chance to pick him up. :freak2:

Dude, Morris and Ebanks were much more valuable roster spots than some vet min signings like Nate Rob and Kmart would have been for our team. :man6:

even our "injury prone" thug wannabe Barnes is doing a lot more then these scrubs, Meeks included. Thanks again Potato Head, hope Clev is the worse team in the league again next year :mad1:
khmrP

Postby GNC on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

Why we held onto Morris and Ebanks over some of these other vets blows my mind. We could really have used them..
GNC

Postby sina on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 am

In 1996, Jerry got the best offensive big man in Shaq and drafted a high school prospect in Kobe. 3 years later, he brought us the greatest coach ever in Phil to town. Phil turn Shaq into the most dominant ever and run our offense through him. Meanwhile, he also turn Kobe into the best all around player: a player could lock down 1 to 3, could set up offense and could score anywhere. The result: we won 3 titles in a row.

Then Mitch brought back Phil and got us Pau in 2007. This time Phil turn prime Kobe into the best offensive player and Pau into a best all round big man: player could dish, could score and could rebound. The result: we won 2 titles in 2009 and 2010.

In 2012, Mitch brought us the best defensive big man. What will he do then...
sina

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Get us a talented PG, obviously, who can score and set people up.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion