Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:30 pm

To those suggesting Josh Smith, we can't get him because taxpaying teams can't receive players via sign & trade under the new CBA.

Of guys that will be free agents & might sign cheap enough for us to have a shot at them, I hope we look at Tony Allen, Ronnie Brewer, Randy Foye, Dorell Wright, Calderon, Nate Robinson, Kyle Korver. Sign one of those PG's & one of the wings & we're already a much improved team.
lakersin4

Postby Center Court on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Ariza3 wrote:Josh Smith
Tony Allen
CJ Watson
JJ Redick
Lamar odom
Trevor ariza

Backup PG, SG, SF, & PF. New Starting SF & PF

Nash/CJ
Kobe/JJ/Allen
Ariza/Allen/Clark
Smith/Odom/Clark
Dwight/Hill

could work. jj with 3's. CJ solid backup can hit the 3 too. Allen defender can hit the 3 too. Ariza athletic defender ex laker can hit the 3. Odom vet ex laker still has a ton of skill, excellent passer can hit 3 too. smith good defender friends with Dwight athletic can hit 3 too.

or get love for pau

this post is why Laker fans get made fun of.
Center Court

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Please No to Josh smith. You think our outside shooting and free throws are bad now :man10: Just wait
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby khmrP on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Center Court wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:Josh Smith
Tony Allen
CJ Watson
JJ Redick
Lamar odom
Trevor ariza

Backup PG, SG, SF, & PF. New Starting SF & PF

Nash/CJ
Kobe/JJ/Allen
Ariza/Allen/Clark
Smith/Odom/Clark
Dwight/Hill

could work. jj with 3's. CJ solid backup can hit the 3 too. Allen defender can hit the 3 too. Ariza athletic defender ex laker can hit the 3. Odom vet ex laker still has a ton of skill, excellent passer can hit 3 too. smith good defender friends with Dwight athletic can hit 3 too.

or get love for pau

this post is why Laker fans get made fun of.

seriously right? :man10: the only guy on that list remotely available for our kind of money is CJ, everyone else is looking for way more than that 3.5mill mini MLE and yet his scenario has us getting 2 guys looking to get paid big time in Reddick/Allen.
khmrP

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 pm

FYI Guys:

Kamenetzky Brothers ‏@KamBrothers 1h

Exit interviews: Duhon, MWP, Nash, Clark, Ebanks, AG, Sacre, Meeks, Hill (Mon). Pau, Morris, D12, Blake, Jamison (Tues). None for Kobe. AK

Kamenetzky Brothers ‏@KamBrothers 1h

D'Antoni and Kupchak will be made available for the media on Tuesday as well.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 am

For what it's worth , guy working with NBA players

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA 13 h
He wanted to play for them RT @FisolaNYDN: This Lakers need Nate Robinson to rescue them.
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks for that tweet.....

That will go in my, "Why the FO is dumb and keeps passing on NateRob", file.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 am

^^^I'd say some of these roster moves had something to do with Brown, obviously Barnes noted he wasn't a laker because of Brown. Although considering what Nate took $ wise and how long it took him to get that small contract I'd have to say what he's doing for Chi wasn't expected by most either.
khmrP

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 am

Wish we had Jarrett Jack
D.B. Cooper

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:30 am

We're very limited this summer, obviously; we're handicapped financially. I'd try to retain Jamison on the cheap, re-sign Glock on the cheap, and probably bring back Meeks, unfortunately. He's a cheap option. I'd resign Clark, too. Nash isn't retiring but will probably have health issues next year; Blake is on the books for another year. Ebanks, Duhon, Morris, are gone, IMO. I think Sacre comes back.

I'd try to trade Pau & amnesty MWP. At this point, I don't know what you can get for Pau; he's still solid offensively but his health is declining & he can't play good defense if his life depended on it. You hope you can get a capable SF & youth. Amnestying MWP should be easy. He was awful. That will save some money.

I'm not looking for a complete overhaul this summer. Nevertheless, I will be expecting some changes. This roster isn't conducive to winning championships. Dwight & Pau just don't work, IMO. Who knows when Kobe is coming back. We'll see...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:54 am

khmrP wrote:^^^I'd say some of these roster moves had something to do with Brown, obviously Barnes noted he wasn't a laker because of Brown. Although considering what Nate took $ wise and how long it took him to get that small contract I'd have to say what he's doing for Chi wasn't expected by most either.

Well I must have been the only one then because he had a great season for the Warriors and for he's had solid career for a backup. He shouldn't be making non-guaranteed vet. min, when you have guys like Meeks getting 1.5 million for offering nothing.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 am

Doc Brown wrote:
khmrP wrote:^^^I'd say some of these roster moves had something to do with Brown, obviously Barnes noted he wasn't a laker because of Brown. Although considering what Nate took $ wise and how long it took him to get that small contract I'd have to say what he's doing for Chi wasn't expected by most either.

Well I must have been the only one then because he had a great season for the Warriors and for he's had solid career for a backup. He shouldn't be making non-guaranteed vet. min, when you have guys like Meeks getting 1.5 million for offering nothing.

To be fair khmrp has a point. Most people had passed on Nate or were only offering a small amount. I think that just means most FOs are to blame, ours being one of them. Especially since most fans were saying (you and I included) that Nate brought some good to the table.

But Meeks' upside was there: young guy, looking to prove something, seemed like a really solid fit, seemed to have a solid role. We ALL thought it was a pretty good signing when it happened. We didn't expect the season to go like this.

Considering we had Johnson-Odom and Goudelock and 4 other PGs already with guaranteed contracts, passing on Nate doesn't seem all that far fetched. Retrospectively it was a poor choice.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby thisbjgz on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm

khmrP wrote:
thisbjgz wrote:Any chance of us getting Monte/Jennings for Pau in a sign and trade or something? Id love Jennings, he gets to come home and play for his city.

do you know how inefficient Jennings is to make this statement?

I can see what you mean because of his disappointing performances..but i think with the right coach and players around him to push him and right him..he can be a very good player. He's cocky, not scared of the lights, selfish(u sorta need that somewhat) and can ball. and he's young, quick and has a 3ball. something we desperately need. Obviously I'm all for Kyrie..but still it's a long shot that he's coming to LA in 2014.
thisbjgz

Postby XXIV on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:34 pm

thisbjgz wrote:
khmrP wrote:
thisbjgz wrote:Any chance of us getting Monte/Jennings for Pau in a sign and trade or something? Id love Jennings, he gets to come home and play for his city.

do you know how inefficient Jennings is to make this statement?

I can see what you mean because of his disappointing performances..but i think with the right coach and players around him to push him and right him..he can be a very good player. He's cocky, not scared of the lights, selfish(u sorta need that somewhat) and can ball. and he's young, quick and has a 3ball. something we desperately need. Obviously I'm all for Kyrie..but still it's a long shot that he's coming to LA in 2014.

Just by going what Jennings has said in the past he wants a big contract. Yes he's all those things you mentioned but he's also inefficient and that's what's scary when a player is cocky and a ball hog. For the right price I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, but it appears he wants a big payday.
XXIV

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:54 pm

man...the 2014 FA class is freekin LOADED

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Center Court on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 pm

It's going to be extremely hard to preserve cap space for that class of FA and still be a contender...

Amnesty MWP

Trade Pau, Future First for Milsap (S&T) and Marvin Williams
Utah gets Marvin off their books and gets something for Milsap. Maybe Pau is that vet and 3rd big/mentor after they let Al Jeff walk.

Sign Nate Rob for the mMLE
Our sixth man

Resign Clark
Need some youth on the bench

Sign LO to the Minn
Jamison is gone

Sign Dunleavy JR to the min
shooter

Sign cheap defensive SF
Someone, anyone?

Trade Steve Blake for a back up 2
Nick Young?

I doubt Utah does that, but I'm trying to keep my pipe dream somewhat realistic. If all those were somehow facilitate, we'd ruin the 2014 plan, but have a pretty damn good team.

Dwight/Hill/Sacre
Milsap/LO/Clark
Marvin/Dunleavy
(Kobe)/Young/Meeks
Nash/Nate Rob

Ok, I'm done
Center Court

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Center Court wrote:It's going to be extremely hard to preserve cap space for that class of FA and still be a contender...

Amnesty MWP

Utah gets Marvin off their books and gets something for Milsap. Maybe Pau is that vet and 3rd big/mentor after they let Al Jeff walk.

Our sixth man

Resign Clark

Sign LO to the Minn
Jamison is gone

shooter

Sign cheap defensive SF
Someone, anyone?

Nick Young?

I doubt Utah does that, but I'm trying to keep my pipe dream somewhat realistic. If all those were somehow facilitate, we'd ruin the 2014 plan, but have a pretty damn good team.

Dwight/Hill/Sacre
Milsap/LO/Clark
Marvin/Dunleavy
(Kobe)/Young/Meeks
Nash/Nate Rob

Ok, I'm done

Or what about Millsap and Foye or Millsap and Mo Williams? That would be nice.
The Laker Link

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:30 am

The Laker Link wrote:
Center Court wrote:It's going to be extremely hard to preserve cap space for that class of FA and still be a contender...

Amnesty MWP

Our sixth man

Resign Clark

Sign LO to the Minn
Jamison is gone

shooter

Sign cheap defensive SF
Someone, anyone?

Nick Young?

Dwight/Hill/Sacre
Milsap/LO/Clark
Marvin/Dunleavy
(Kobe)/Young/Meeks
Nash/Nate Rob

Ok, I'm done

Or what about Millsap and Foye or Millsap and Mo Williams? That would be nice.

Some good suggestions in here.. The Millsap thing isn't possible unless it's part of a 3 way where Josh Smith goes to Utah & Millsap to ATL, we can't be on he receiving end of a S&T but we can be involved if 1 of them wants Pau & has pieces we want. I've liked Foye for a while he's one of the best 3 point shooters in the game. I think LO needs to return. So many games this season I remember wishing Earl Clark had LO's handles & passing ability. He isn't the 6th man of the year he was for us before but I think it's clear a player with his skillset would make us better. I don't like the idea of Dunleavy unless we add a couple athletic defenders via trade or something. We're better off with Brewer, Wright, or Morrow or another wing who can hit the 3 but still defend. If we land a stud SF & youth for Pau, I'd be much more receptive to guys like Dunleavy & Calderon. Corey Brewer would be my pick of all of the available wings that could potentially be had for what we can offer. I don't see denver letting him go but at the same time, they're so deep on the wings.
lakersin4

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am

pound4pound1 wrote:man...the 2014 FA class is freekin LOADED

Iman Shumpert & Avery Bradley stick out to me. Both great individual defenders. I would love to scoop one of those guys up. I have for awhile. We need a guy that can guard the PG/SG's.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby XXIV on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:00 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:

Iman Shumpert & Avery Bradley stick out to me. Both great individual defenders. I would love to scoop one of those guys up. I have for awhile. We need a guy that can guard the PG/SG's.

That'd be great, but I believe their RFA so it seems unlikely.

Some players I would like the Lakers to go after are Sefolosha, Deng, Battier, and Butler.
XXIV

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:04 pm

XXIV wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:

That'd be great, but I believe their RFA so it seems unlikely.

Some players I would like the Lakers to go after are Sefolosha, Deng, Battier, and Butler.

You're right; very unlikely, but one can hope, though. I like the guys you listed. I'd take Deng in a second. Outstanding defender & a decent offensive player. Actually, he has more offensive game then the others Sefolosha, Battier, & Butler.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 pm

kobe and dantoni said they need length and athleticism and a defender. Ariza? again...
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Ariza3 wrote:kobe and dantoni said they need length and athleticism and a defender. Ariza? again...

Actually D'Antoni said they need length and shooters. :man10:

But I don't think Ariza fits in our plans because of his contract. It'd be difficult to get to him anyway.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:kobe and dantoni said they need length and athleticism and a defender. Ariza? again...

But I don't think Ariza fits in our plans because of his contract. It'd be difficult to get to him anyway.

I thought he was a free agent, but looking it up you're right, he has a player option, but no way is he waking away from 7.7 million.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I thought he was a free agent, but looking it up you're right, he has a player option, but no way is he waking away from 7.7 million.

Yeah he got the exact same contract as Artest in that same summer that he left. Given that he's stunk up the NBA since he's left LA, I don't think there's any chance in hell that he gives up that kind of guaranteed cash.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion