Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby dj vitus on Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 am

Roster improvements?

How about...

Tank for #1 pick in deep 2014 draft.

Reload with two max contracts.

Lakers win.

Forever. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 am

^I totally forgot that we have a first round pick in 2014. So, depending how we finish next year, we stand a chance to go into 2014 with a first round pick that could be useful, flexibility to sign FA's, and hopefully a building block around Dwight. That's not too shabby.

I do remember this past trading deadline there was a report that we were offering Blake, Morris & Duhon for 2nd round draft picks. Do they still have they same ability to do that around draft time in July if they were looking for an option like that? I also think Gasol might be shopped around too at that time.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 am

Center Court wrote:Gotcha...

Dorrell Wright would be a good target for the mMLE but I think we need to try and move Blake/Duhon for Ariza (don't know how Wash feels about that) and then use the mMLE on a backup point. Ideally Nate Rob, but it looks like he's earned bigger money. Maybe Aaron Brooks who's tenure will be done in Houston behind Lin/Beverly.

Ariza would be alright, but I'm not sold. His shooting has been extremely underwhelming from outside and he's not as athletic as he once was. That being said, if we had a way to bring in a PG, I might do it. Robinson is likely to get paid way out of our price range at this point; or at least just higher than what we can afford. Aaron Brooks hasn't gotten playing time in either city he's played for this season and that's for a reason: he's not that good.

The PG the Lakers should be targeting is Augustin over in Indiana. He's young, he's quick, he's got some talent.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon May 06, 2013 9:14 am

dj vitus wrote:Roster improvements?

How about...

Tank for #1 pick in deep 2014 draft.

Reload with two max contracts.

Lakers win.

Forever. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

so you're scenario doesn't invovle keeping Howard then? I mean why would he come back to tank and how could we tank with him?
khmrP

Clippers 'Very Confident' Of Chances To Re-Sign Chris Paul

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Clippers 'Very Confident' Of Chances To Re-Sign Chris Paul

By Arash Markazi | ESPNLosAngeles.com

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- When Chris Paul left the Los Angeles Clippers' training facility on Saturday, he was uncertain about his future with the team. On Monday, Clippers vice president of basketball operations Gary Sacks said he was "very confident" the All-Star point guard would eventually re-sign with the team.

Sacks met with Paul on Saturday during the team's exit interview and believes that he will be back, but was cautious about getting into details with Paul becoming an unrestricted free agent and not being able to sign an extension until July 1.

"A lot of that information we'll keep private, because that's an internal thing, but I feel very confident," Sacks said. "I think he's an integral part of this. We feel like we had a great partnership for the last couple of years and we want to continue it obviously. These are decisions that have to be made and some of them will be taken care of at the appropriate time. We can't talk to him until July 1, so we'll go ahead and do that. We'll move forward when it's appropriate."

Paul is eligible to sign a five-year, $108 million extension after July 1. He turned down a three-year, $60 million extension last summer. But that's mostly because the Clippers could only offer him a three-year extension at that point, under the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement.

"The No. 1 priority for us right now has to be re-signing our star player, Chris Paul," Sacks said. "That's our goal, that's what we want to do. We want to put ourselves in a position to do that. We feel this organization is in a position to move forward with that goal in mind. It's always difficult, it's never easy, but we feel confident we can be successful."

The Clippers will have to make another big decision before they are eligible to re-sign Paul as Vinny Del Negro's contract expires after June 1. The Clippers coach met with the media on Monday and understands that his future may be tied to the wishes of Paul and Blake Griffin, who signed a five-year, $95 million extension last year.

"I think all that plays a part," Del Negro said. "I enjoy working with them. They're great guys and they're incredibly talented. They're the nucleus of the team obviously that you want to keep intact and move forward with. I've enjoyed working with them and have seen their development."

Sacks said he would indeed meet with Paul, Griffin and others before deciding on who will be the team's next head coach.

"We want to have feedback from our players to hear what they have to say," Sacks said. "Whatever we do, we do as an organization. Of course you're going to listen to your star players. You're going to listen to all your employees when you're making these decisions but I don't think that's unusual."

After losing in the first round of the playoffs to the Memphis Grizzlies last week, Sacks understood how important this offseason would be to the future of the franchise with the team's franchise player and head coach becoming free agents.

"It's huge," Sacks said. "Every offseason is huge. Last offseason was huge. Vinny and I worked really closely to put this team together and get what we thought were the right pieces for our team to compete and be as good as we possibly could be as an organization. We came up short and that's a disappointment. But we have to look at a lot of the positives. I thought he and the staff did a really good job during the season. We need to move forward looking for ways of improving ourselves to go further and achieve our goals."

Paul was noncommittal about returning to the Clippers when he met with the media on Saturday but had previously stated that he loved living in Los Angeles and changing the culture of the long-suffering Clippers franchise.

"I'm going to take my time," Paul said. "I haven't even thought about it. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do the rest of the day. I might go home and swim with my son or something. This is nuts. I don't know what to do. I purposely didn't put anything on my calendar because we're supposed to still be playing."

Sacks was hesitant to speak for Paul on Monday but was hopeful that there would be another news conference in July announcing Paul's long-term commitment to the Clippers.

"I think he enjoys living here and being in L.A.," Sacks said. "Obviously we enjoy having him here and having him a part of this team, so that's the most important thing, just moving forward with that."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... -sign-team
Kobe8Fan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue May 07, 2013 1:25 am

^ Not surprised
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Murdock on Tue May 07, 2013 2:00 am

XXIV wrote:We can't do sign and trades if we're over the cap.

obviously i didn't mean us since both players are under contract ... i meant CP sign with clippers and traded for nash and gasol
Murdock

Postby khmrP on Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 am

Murdock wrote:

obviously i didn't mean us since both players are under contract ... i meant CP sign with clippers and traded for nash and gasol

doesn't that still sound like a S&T in your scenario? Unless you mean he signs and we wait until the deadline has passed after a FA signs before he can be traded. But even than why exactly would clipps want to trade Paul for 2 old washed up players? :man3:
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Tue May 07, 2013 9:28 am

Im interested in Anthony Morrow. dude can play the 2/3 and shoot lights out from 3 but he barely played in Dallas. Weird. Another alternative to Meeks is available

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Center Court on Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 am

The Rock wrote:Im interested in Anthony Morrow. dude can play the 2/3 and shoot lights out from 3 but he barely played in Dallas. Weird. Another alternative to Meeks is available

Given how little he played, I'd assume he can be had for cheap too.

Dwight at one point said if he could build any team around him, Morrow would be on that squad.

Another guy is Steven Jackson. Not young, but still a good shooter, defender, and brings toughness.
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 am

I wonder if this is code for, "Firesale"....

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 29s
With hiring of Boston's McDonough, Suns direction is clear: No more stopgap short-term free agents, rebuild through multiple picks in draft.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Sounds like a complete rebuild is about to take place there.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am

Pau for Dragic, Beasley, and Shannon Brown. :jam2: :mhihi:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 am

We have no picks though. :man10:

Give me Frye, Beasley, Dudley, and Brown. All of which smash our 2014 plan. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I like how clueless GMs decide to rebuild through the draft, a la OKC. Do they not know that for every team like OKC who drafts successfully, there are 10 teams that choose crap in the draft year after year. And OKC got lucky. If it wasn't for Portland choosing Mr. Glass knees first, they would have taken him.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby XXIV on Tue May 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Murdock wrote:

That's still a sign and trade. :man3:
XXIV

Postby Murdock on Tue May 07, 2013 12:49 pm

khmrP wrote:
Murdock wrote:

doesn't that still sound like a S&T in your scenario? Unless you mean he signs and we wait until the deadline has passed after a FA signs before he can be traded. But even than why exactly would clipps want to trade Paul for 2 old washed up players? :man3:

my way around it i am just not sure about the dates and the timeline it has to be done in ... still not sure about it ... would be nice to find solid 2 or 3 for the future you can get by without excelent playmaker these days imo
Murdock

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Anyone else see something like this happening? After Dallas strikes out on all the big free agents, they trade OJ Mayo for Pau Gasol? Lakers clear 15 million off the books and get a relatively young, athletic wing player and the Mavs get someone to put along side Dirk. Neither team gives up long term cap flexibility. In no way am I saying OJ is adequate compensation for Pau, but the amount of money we could save and maybe fill a need...I think that's a trade that makes some sense. Augustin for the mini-mle?
Savory Griddles

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 pm

^^^ I'd take Mayo and Carter for Pau at this point and consider it a victory.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ I'd take Mayo and Carter for Pau at this point and consider it a victory.

Lakers would likely not want to take Carter. The whole point of the deal is to use the Mavs cap sapce they failed to use, and get back a player we can use in return without hurting either team's cap situation for the following season. Its a major step back talent wise obviously, but Mayo would fit D'Antoni's system better. I'm picturing a starting five of DJ Augustin, OJ, Kobe, Clark and Dwight. Hill, Nash and Jamison off the bench. Its not gonna win any rings, but it'd probably be better than last season's squad from a balance perspective.
Savory Griddles

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 pm

^^^ Carter's deal is done the same time Mayo's is. It doesn't effect their cap room the following season.

And Jamison is probably not coming back seeing as how he went shopping instead of giving his exit interview.
Doc Brown

Postby BDG on Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Whoa totally forgot about Anthony Morrow. Forgot he was even in the league because I never saw him play this year.

Definitely would like to have the Lakers take a look at him, he was a lights out shooter ... wonder why he didn't play in Dallas?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby last stand on Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Weezy wrote:Pau for Dragic, Beasley, and Shannon Brown. :jam2: :mhihi:

if beasley wasn't such a lazy person that'd make us a contender. you'd fix like half the teams issues with one trade, and still have guys like blake and clark to improve other areas through trade
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ Carter's deal is done the same time Mayo's is. It doesn't effect their cap room the following season.

And Jamison is probably not coming back seeing as how he went shopping instead of giving his exit interview.

eh. that'd improve shooting, but defense seems like it'd take a hit. what's the line-up in that scenario

dwight/ hill
clark/ hill
carter/ artest
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

or

dwight/ hill
artest/ hill
carter/ clark
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ Carter's deal is done the same time Mayo's is. It doesn't effect their cap room the following season.

eh. that'd improve shooting, but defense seems like it'd take a hit. what's the line-up in that scenario

dwight/ hill
clark/ hill
carter/ artest
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

or

dwight/ hill
artest/ hill
carter/ clark
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JGC on Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I like how clueless GMs decide to rebuild through the draft, a la OKC. Do they not know that for every team like OKC who drafts successfully, there are 10 teams that choose crap in the draft year after year. And OKC got lucky. If it wasn't for Portland choosing Mr. Glass knees first, they would have taken him.

Teams/GMs don't necessarily build through the draft because they think it is the best way to build a contender immediately. There is another reason they do it that way.
JGC

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion