Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Center Court on Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 am

The Rock wrote:Im interested in Anthony Morrow. dude can play the 2/3 and shoot lights out from 3 but he barely played in Dallas. Weird. Another alternative to Meeks is available

Given how little he played, I'd assume he can be had for cheap too.

Dwight at one point said if he could build any team around him, Morrow would be on that squad.

Another guy is Steven Jackson. Not young, but still a good shooter, defender, and brings toughness.
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 am

I wonder if this is code for, "Firesale"....

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 29s
With hiring of Boston's McDonough, Suns direction is clear: No more stopgap short-term free agents, rebuild through multiple picks in draft.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Sounds like a complete rebuild is about to take place there.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am

Pau for Dragic, Beasley, and Shannon Brown. :jam2: :mhihi:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 am

We have no picks though. :man10:

Give me Frye, Beasley, Dudley, and Brown. All of which smash our 2014 plan. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I like how clueless GMs decide to rebuild through the draft, a la OKC. Do they not know that for every team like OKC who drafts successfully, there are 10 teams that choose crap in the draft year after year. And OKC got lucky. If it wasn't for Portland choosing Mr. Glass knees first, they would have taken him.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby XXIV on Tue May 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Murdock wrote:
XXIV wrote:We can't do sign and trades if we're over the cap.

obviously i didn't mean us since both players are under contract ... i meant CP sign with clippers and traded for nash and gasol

That's still a sign and trade. :man3:
XXIV

Postby Murdock on Tue May 07, 2013 12:49 pm

khmrP wrote:
Murdock wrote:
XXIV wrote:We can't do sign and trades if we're over the cap.

obviously i didn't mean us since both players are under contract ... i meant CP sign with clippers and traded for nash and gasol

doesn't that still sound like a S&T in your scenario? Unless you mean he signs and we wait until the deadline has passed after a FA signs before he can be traded. But even than why exactly would clipps want to trade Paul for 2 old washed up players? :man3:

my way around it i am just not sure about the dates and the timeline it has to be done in ... still not sure about it ... would be nice to find solid 2 or 3 for the future you can get by without excelent playmaker these days imo
Murdock

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Anyone else see something like this happening? After Dallas strikes out on all the big free agents, they trade OJ Mayo for Pau Gasol? Lakers clear 15 million off the books and get a relatively young, athletic wing player and the Mavs get someone to put along side Dirk. Neither team gives up long term cap flexibility. In no way am I saying OJ is adequate compensation for Pau, but the amount of money we could save and maybe fill a need...I think that's a trade that makes some sense. Augustin for the mini-mle?
Savory Griddles

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 pm

^^^ I'd take Mayo and Carter for Pau at this point and consider it a victory.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ I'd take Mayo and Carter for Pau at this point and consider it a victory.

Lakers would likely not want to take Carter. The whole point of the deal is to use the Mavs cap sapce they failed to use, and get back a player we can use in return without hurting either team's cap situation for the following season. Its a major step back talent wise obviously, but Mayo would fit D'Antoni's system better. I'm picturing a starting five of DJ Augustin, OJ, Kobe, Clark and Dwight. Hill, Nash and Jamison off the bench. Its not gonna win any rings, but it'd probably be better than last season's squad from a balance perspective.
Savory Griddles

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 pm

^^^ Carter's deal is done the same time Mayo's is. It doesn't effect their cap room the following season.

And Jamison is probably not coming back seeing as how he went shopping instead of giving his exit interview.
Doc Brown

Postby BDG on Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Whoa totally forgot about Anthony Morrow. Forgot he was even in the league because I never saw him play this year.

Definitely would like to have the Lakers take a look at him, he was a lights out shooter ... wonder why he didn't play in Dallas?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby last stand on Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Weezy wrote:Pau for Dragic, Beasley, and Shannon Brown. :jam2: :mhihi:

if beasley wasn't such a lazy person that'd make us a contender. you'd fix like half the teams issues with one trade, and still have guys like blake and clark to improve other areas through trade
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ Carter's deal is done the same time Mayo's is. It doesn't effect their cap room the following season.

And Jamison is probably not coming back seeing as how he went shopping instead of giving his exit interview.

eh. that'd improve shooting, but defense seems like it'd take a hit. what's the line-up in that scenario

dwight/ hill
clark/ hill
carter/ artest
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

or

dwight/ hill
artest/ hill
carter/ clark
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ Carter's deal is done the same time Mayo's is. It doesn't effect their cap room the following season.

eh. that'd improve shooting, but defense seems like it'd take a hit. what's the line-up in that scenario

dwight/ hill
clark/ hill
carter/ artest
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

or

dwight/ hill
artest/ hill
carter/ clark
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JGC on Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I like how clueless GMs decide to rebuild through the draft, a la OKC. Do they not know that for every team like OKC who drafts successfully, there are 10 teams that choose crap in the draft year after year. And OKC got lucky. If it wasn't for Portland choosing Mr. Glass knees first, they would have taken him.

Teams/GMs don't necessarily build through the draft because they think it is the best way to build a contender immediately. There is another reason they do it that way.
JGC

Postby last stand on Tue May 07, 2013 8:39 pm

i'd say about 20 out of the 30 teams are forced to build through the draft. they don't have a choice, they just aren't a destination for free agents. that is why the new CBA was created, because these teams just draft players and lose them to the larger markets

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JGC on Tue May 07, 2013 8:50 pm

last stand wrote:i'd say about 20 out of the 30 teams are forced to build through the draft. they don't have a choice, they just aren't a destination for free agents. that is why the new CBA was created, because these teams just draft players and lose them to the larger markets

Well, they could trade. That's an option for them.

The reason teams build through the draft is because it is less expensive to do so. You go and trade for a big contract guy, he doesn't pan out and that's an expensive mistake.

You miss in the draft and even with a #1 pick your losses are capped there.
JGC

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 pm

last stand wrote:

dwight/ hill
clark/ hill
carter/ artest
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

or

dwight/ hill
artest/ hill
carter/ clark
kobe/ mayo
nash/ blake

There would be others moves in the offseason besides just that. I'd have Mayo and Carter both coming off the bench, so that our bench actually looks like a bench.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ I'd take Mayo and Carter for Pau at this point and consider it a victory.

Yeah I'd take that.. Hopefully they'd take the chance to dump Marion on us too. Love to sign Wright or Morrow to balance out adding another old wing in VC. Morrow might be the better choice since he's Dwight's BFF. We could throw in the much cheaper Meeks with them losing OJ. They stay competitive while creating a ton of cap space next season. Dirk & Pau would be really fun to watch. If we pulled this off I'd change it up & bring Nash off the bench once Kobe comes back. He should work better off the ball than Nash & we're a better team when 24 handles the ball.

OJ/Nash/Blake
24/Morrow
VC/MWP
Marion/Clark
D12/Hill

Assuming we keep D'antoni, this is a roster we can really go far with. VC doesn't have much left but he can still handle the ball & knock down 3's. An older Matrix but still D'antoni's ideal PF pretty much.. One of the best 3 point shooters in the game in OJ(& a guy who wanted to be a Laker since he was a kid, always wanted him here). Even if we let D'antoni go, this is a roster better suited for today's NBA & I'd really like our chances next season if we turn our luck around & stay healthy. Could see Earl or MWP outplaying Marion or VC & taking a starting spot. Such a versatile team. OJ & Blake can play PG & SG.. 24, Morrow, VC can all play SG/SF. MWP, Marion, Clark can all play SF/PF. Hill PF/C.. I REALLY like that team. OJ would thrive off learning from 24 & turn into our star G to pair with D12 for the future imo.
lakersin4

Postby lakersin4 on Wed May 08, 2013 1:28 am

Just saw Mayo declined his option.. We can't get him in S&T so that idea is dead. Take the mini mle with the understanding that he'll re-up for a big contract once we have his bird rights. :man9:
lakersin4

Postby Ariza3 on Wed May 08, 2013 4:23 am

fish. backup pg could be worse. killing it in the playoffs
Ariza3

Postby lakersin4 on Wed May 08, 2013 6:11 am

Seems like GS might want to trade Lee.. Their fans are obsessed with Lee for KG. I'd go for something like Lee, Jack, & Draymond or Rush for Pau & Blake.
lakersin4

Postby abeer3 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:45 am

i'm sure it's been said, but dorrell wright is my target. fairly athletic, good size, can shoot the three and finish at the rim.
abeer3

Postby khmrP on Wed May 08, 2013 8:34 am

this is MY ideal off-season

Pau for Granger/Green
Duhon/Cash (for buyout) for Rush
mMLE for Dunleavy with team opt for 2nd year (if opt is possible)
Barnes vet Min
Clark 2yrs 5mill team opt 2nd yr
trade up into 1st rd with both 2nd for another PG, best available opt (no idea, not a college guy)

Speed, Youth, Shooting and Thuggery :man1: (Barnes) w/o much commited salary past 2014

Nash/Blake/1st rd pick
Rush/Dunleavy/Green/Kobe
Granger/Barnes/Dunleavy
Clark/Hill
Howard/Hill/vet min big

Glock could be brought back for bench dept but the G/F rotation before Kobe return I would only play Rush, Dunleavy, Barnes, Granger. Barnes or Green wouldn't be needed though if Kobe was ready for the season but IF Green had to be tied to Granger deal to work I'd do it just for Granger and look to off-load Green later. As for Barnes, well tough choice cause it'll be difficult to find minutes for that many wing but better than the lack of options we had this year.
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion