Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 pm

I agree with you, I'm fully in the Granger bandwagon... it's only up to the Mgmt to make it happen.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby khmrP on Wed May 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Garcia/Delfino look like solid adds to, I'd be happy with either one if we couldn't get Rush. Both be'd great with me too, Garcia looks like that punk/dbag ala Barnes :man10: and Delfino could be our resident Meeks but given how he's been killing us all of last season, I hope he conts that here and doesn't forget how to shoot AND MAKE his shots like Meeks and countless other shooters that have failed us.
Last edited by khmrP on Wed May 08, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Jordan Farmar returning to NBA?
May, 8, 2013
MAY 8
2:37
PM ET
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Remember Jordan Farmar, the former UCLA star who went on to serve as a solid reserve on the Los Angeles Lakers before joining the then-New Jersey Nets? He's been playing overseas the past two seasons, so it's understandable if you forgot about him, but the 26-year-old is reportedly considering a return to the NBA next season.

Farmar, who fantasy basketball players might remember as a sneaky resource for steals and 3-pointers, signed a three-year deal in Turkey prior the season after being bought out by the Atlanta Hawks -- he was one of the many players included in the Joe Johnson trade.

But Farmar is eligible to leave for the NBA every summer, according to LakersNation.com, and recently expressed his desire to return stateside in an interview with BustaSports.com.

"I think I’ll be back much sooner than the end of the contract," he said. "So, I feel I gave Europe a try, and that I have plenty years ahead of me in the NBA, but I still have the option to return here and play in Turkey again, if the right [NBA] deal and situation doesn’t present itself. But I feel that it’s time for me to go back and enjoy free agency."

Two teams that immediately come to mind as possible suitors: the Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State Warriors. The Clips could be in the market for a backup point guard if they resign Chris Paul and trade Eric Bledsoe, and both are strong possibilities. The attraction of returning to L.A. would probably be strong for Farmar. As for the Warriors, it may be out of their price range to bring back Jarrett Jack, whose poor decision-making in the playoffs has aggravated the fan base considerably. Farmar would be a cheaper, yet solid, alternative.

Yes please. Vet min.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Chillbongo on Wed May 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Never thought I'd be giddy at the thought of getting Farmar back.

Is there even room for him? We have Blake and Nash. Blake is way more effective, but Farmar provides that youth and speed we need, and can also stay in front of his man on D.

I'd be upset if the Clippers got him. Oh and Eric Bledsoe on the Lakers would make me wet.
Chillbongo

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Wed May 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Blodsoe would be a great addition.... doesn't Gasol for Blodsoe/Crawford/Odom work?
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby khmrP on Wed May 08, 2013 12:41 pm

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:Blodsoe would be a great addition.... doesn't Gasol for Blodsoe/Crawford/Odom work?

clipps wouldn't do that and 2ndly Odom is a FA now.
khmrP

Postby Chillbongo on Wed May 08, 2013 12:53 pm

We're not moving Gasol to the Clips. We'd have to give them Earl Clark or something. And probably a pick.
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 pm

I think the roles we need address come in this order.

1. A player who can create their own shots without needing to be setup and penetrate effectively, particularly to lead the bench. PG or SF.

2. A backcourt player who can provide energy and hustle defensively. Go after rebounds, play physical. PG or SG.

3. A consistent shooter. SG.

LA: Granger, Hinrich
IND: Boozer
CHI: Gasol

Indiana - With David West at the end of his contract, they'll get a better version of him in Boozer without having to resign him.

Chicago - Gets a post scorer to play next to Noah and Rose, something they can add to their arsenal outside of Rose.

LA - Gets a player who can create their own and an energy backcourt player to play defense and hustle.

If Metta decides to restructure his contract for cheaper, that would be appreciated. Otherwise it's a trade for a draft pick or amnesty.

Resign Earl Clark and Jamison (if possible). Try to target Foye or Belinelli with the mini-MLE.

Howard/Hill
Clark/Jamison
Metta/Granger
Kobe/Hinrich/Foye
Nash/Blake

Unrealistically:

Chris Paul signs for the mini-MLE for 2013 and waits for the max in 2014 when everyone comes off the books.

Trade Pau for Kevin Love Andrei Kirilenko.

Resign Clark

Howard/Hill
Love/Clark
Kirilenko
Kobe/Blake/Meeks
Paul/Nash
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 08, 2013 1:30 pm

khmrP wrote:TDLR, I can't see those spoiler stuff but I assume its just youtube clips of them dunking from your comments. I could show you those spectacular dunks of Meeks this season too and make him seem like a good player. Morrow has steadily gotten worse and less PT every single year now since leaving GSW, Wright has also delcined. Dunleavy is avg. the same #'s and when watching all 3 randomly, I see less standing around waiting for a shot to be created for them out of Dunleavy the most out of the 3. With the bucks I saw alot of off-ball movt out of dunleavy and shot creation. Out of Wright, I saw mostly standing at the 3's and not much else, while Morrow well dude couldn't crack the rotation on bad Nets team the year before and couldn't crack it in Atl either so just have to be cautious of that, I dont want another Jodi Meeks signing again. Vet min for Dunleavy is fine too if he accepts, I would also prefer to toss that mMLE at a younger/faster paint penetration guard.

I understand what you're saying. Those two aren't the best basketball players. If Dunleavy had their athleticism, I'd go for him all day, but he's older, he's slower, and he's not what we need from a youth standpoint. If he's here for depth purposes then fantastic, but I'd rather have any of the guys I mentioned play BEFORE him.

No, they aren't great. No they haven't improved or anything, but that's why we might be able to get to the for the veteran's minimum.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed May 08, 2013 2:18 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:I think the roles we need address come in this order.

1. A player who can create their own shots without needing to be setup and penetrate effectively, particularly to lead the bench. PG or SF.

2. A backcourt player who can provide energy and hustle defensively. Go after rebounds, play physical. PG or SG.

3. A consistent shooter. SG.

LA: Granger, Hinrich
IND: Boozer
CHI: Gasol

Indiana - With David West at the end of his contract, they'll get a better version of him in Boozer without having to resign him.

Chicago - Gets a post scorer to play next to Noah and Rose, something they can add to their arsenal outside of Rose.

LA - Gets a player who can create their own and an energy backcourt player to play defense and hustle.

If we somehow land Granger, it will likely be for a straight up swap (plus filler if necessary).

Why would the Pacers want Boozer over West? Just because West is off the books doesn’t mean they won’t resign him. You want to say Boozer is better than West, but that’s very debatable. Boozer grabs more boards, but scores less on a lower percentage. Also, like I mentioned earlier in this thread, apparently West is the “leader” of that team. Not the best player, but the leader in the same way Fisher was for us a few years ago.

If West doesn’t resign, that’s when we have a chance to sneak in with Gasol. Gasol + Hibbert up front would be a tough matchup for Miami. But I think Indy will try to resign West.
Savory Griddles

Postby Lakerjones on Wed May 08, 2013 3:02 pm

^^ They may resign West, and like you said, that would be the one hindrance I could see to a Pau/Granger deal which would help each team out. If we did do that deal we would be taking back one of their cheap expiring guards - either Hansbrough or Stephenson to make the numbers work.

If they want to get rid of Granger the trade makes a lot of sense, although of course they could just wait for him to expire. Yeah, really depends on whether they would rather try to resign West and if he's willing. I could see them going either way. Pau gives them better ball movement, better post play, and a guy who can play C as well as PF. West gives them better mid-range shooting at the 4. Neither one of them is much of a defender.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Wed May 08, 2013 3:13 pm

What does anyone think of Chase Budinger as a possible replacement for Jamison?
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Budinger is a SF, not a PF.

But if he's healthy he'd be a good addition.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Man... Garcia, Buddinger... all good role-players, but this won't get us back to title contention next year. We might just be screwed until 2014.
Armani

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Armani wrote:Man... Garcia, Buddinger... all good role-players, but this won't get us back to title contention next year. We might just be screwed until 2014.

Why wouldn't it?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Armani on Wed May 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Why would it? This is a 45 win ball club. :man3:

Nash is 40, Kobe 35, Gasol's 90something the way he moves on D. MWP is irrelevant. The lineup needs a major revamp, or it's not going to beat the Heat, or OKC. What, Chase Buddinger is suddenly going to help us beat a 60 win team? It's not happening.
Armani

Postby Weezy on Wed May 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Armani wrote:Man... Garcia, Buddinger... all good role-players, but this won't get us back to title contention next year. We might just be screwed until 2014.

Why wouldn't it?

People seem to be under the impression that you need 3 or 4 stars to win now or something, because of Miami I guess, when in reality the teams that have 2 are doing just fine, and I know from recent discussions you believe as I do 2 is enough if the rest of the team is full of really good role players. You need guys that know their role, know their place, and just do their jobs.

The season with Malone and Payton guys bickered about roles, wanting things their way. This season all 5 starters acted like they had to sacrifice to play together, rather than just doing their jobs from the start. When it was Kobe and Pau the rest of the team knew their roles. Fisher, Odom, Drew, Ariza/Artest, Farmar, Shannon, Sasha, DJ, Powell, these guys knew their roles more often than not and didn't complain. I think you still only need 2 stars, maybe 1 borderline all-star, and the rest solid role players.

So while I don't think Budinger and Garcia alone make us title contenders, that sort of direction IMO is the right way to go, not 3 aging former all-stars plus Kobe and Dwight. I think moves people here have suggested, like a team of Lowry,Kobe, Granger (assuming he's healthy), Hill (or another cheap PF or SF that would make Granger a stretch 4) and Dwight is a much better direction than Nash, Kobe, MWP, Pau, Dwight.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Agreed Weezy.

Role players --> Keep you in games and can get you through the regular season, but cannot routinely win you games in crunch time and the playoffs (Sans Horry and Fisher who are two of the most clutch role players ever)

Star players --> Step up in crunch time when role players do most of the work in the 1st-3rd quarters.

Without role players, your stars have to do everything the entire game and that is not a recipe for winning ball games (see this years Lakers). Without star players, role players are put in a tough position of having to player bigger than themselves for multiple games. It's why teams like Denver will always flop in the playoffs. When push comes to shove they don't have that star that can close games.
Doc Brown

Postby Armani on Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 pm

We have the unique situation where the role-players disappear in the 2nd half of the year - like Meeks... and the star players can't stay on court. Wheeeee... :bang:
Armani

Postby lakersin4 on Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 am

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:
@LarryCoon says Brewer, Daniels, Garcia & Delfino are possible #Lakers additions. #ESPNLANow discuss: http://es.pn/RfXDFW

LINK

Daniels? Marquis? I don't understand the interest there but would love the rest. Brewer & Delfino would be an amazing combo to add. I'm really happy to hear Brewer mentioned in connection to us, he was at the top of my list of guys that could be available cheap. Surprised we aren't interested in Foye. He could be the floor stretcher that Meeks was supposed to & he's not a bad defender either.
lakersin4

Postby Phil XI on Thu May 09, 2013 5:47 am

I heard the Coon interview and it was all in the context of who 'might' be avail for what LA could offer (mini or vetmin), that might want to play in LA for less than others might offer, and would fill a Laker need. None of this was 'Lakers are interested'. It was pure conjecture based on availability, need, and LA's cap sitch.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby JGC on Thu May 09, 2013 7:18 am

Weezy wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Why wouldn't it?

People seem to be under the impression that you need 3 or 4 stars to win now or something, because of Miami I guess, when in reality the teams that have 2 are doing just fine, and I know from recent discussions you believe as I do 2 is enough if the rest of the team is full of really good role players. You need guys that know their role, know their place, and just do their jobs.

The season with Malone and Payton guys bickered about roles, wanting things their way. This season all 5 starters acted like they had to sacrifice to play together, rather than just doing their jobs from the start. When it was Kobe and Pau the rest of the team knew their roles. Fisher, Odom, Drew, Ariza/Artest, Farmar, Shannon, Sasha, DJ, Powell, these guys knew their roles more often than not and didn't complain. I think you still only need 2 stars, maybe 1 borderline all-star, and the rest solid role players.

So while I don't think Budinger and Garcia alone make us title contenders, that sort of direction IMO is the right way to go, not 3 aging former all-stars plus Kobe and Dwight. I think moves people here have suggested, like a team of Lowry,Kobe, Granger (assuming he's healthy), Hill (or another cheap PF or SF that would make Granger a stretch 4) and Dwight is a much better direction than Nash, Kobe, MWP, Pau, Dwight.

I agree with this. The problem is whether or not you can re-tool all of those role players THIS offseason which I don't believe you can.

Then, separately, you've got a coach who wants to run all day, Kobe doesn't want to run all day. A coach who doesn't like going inside, and what should be the league's best center (although Marc Gasol might be my pick even with D12 healthy) so there's the question mark of whether we even have the right coach and right core players paired together going in to next season.

Personally, I don't think Kobe+Dwight can get it done anymore unless you have the perfect group of role players around them. Dwight doesn't step up enough for a #2, and Kobe is just too old to run the offense through him nearly every possession (IMO). You have to have another player who can take the pressure off of Kobe and then he has to be willing to defer which still hasn't happened yet. (And by defer, I mean, defer on some possessions, not concede his role as leader).

I think it would be good to add some cheap role players, give it another shot, and start the re-tooling process in 2014.
JGC

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Thu May 09, 2013 7:53 am

Matt Barnes was on ESPN 710 and said that the Lakers & Clippers are his only choices to play at next season....

LINK

I hope we get him, for a annual salary of 2-3M which will be enough to get him IMO.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 am

Interesting names that Coon pointed out that could be available. We need a couple of guys for very specific things that would improve this team. Most notably, defense & athleticism, IMO. Delfino would be a welcome addition, though.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby abeer3 on Thu May 09, 2013 8:22 am

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:Matt Barnes was on ESPN 710 and said that the Lakers & Clippers are his only choices to play at next season....

LINK

I hope we get him, for a annual salary of 2-3M which will be enough to get him IMO.

why doesn't he want to play for HOUSTON?!!!
abeer3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion