Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Prospective Kings' Owner Interested In Monta Ellis

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Prospective Kings' Owner Interested In Monta Ellis

Monta Ellis has yet to decide if he will opt out of his $11 million deal for the 13-14 NBA season, but he could have one potential suitor in the Sacramento Kings.

A member of the Kings' prospective ownership group has worked on a background check on Ellis as a potential player to sign if Tyreke Evans departs in the offseason.

Evans will be a restricted free agent in the offseason.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-b ... ss-to-heat
Kobe8Fan

Execs: Bucks Prefer To Re-Sign Monta Over Brandon Jennings

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 pm

Execs: Bucks Prefer To Re-Sign Monta Over Brandon Jennings

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

And a free-agent rumble: There's a rising belief in exec circles that Bucks prefer to re-sign Monta Ellis over Brandon Jennings this summer

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 5920073728

Monta will become an unrestricted free agent July 1 if he opts out of his current deal by June 20. Jennings will be a restricted free agent

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 1095278592

Bucks still have coaching choice to make: Larry Drew or Kelvin Sampson. But in backcourt there is sense they prefer Monta/Redick next season

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 6047966208
Kobe8Fan

Monta Increases Interest In Kings With Mike Malone Hire

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 pm

By Marc J. Spears

The Sacramento Kings' decision to hire Michael Malone as their next head coach should improve their chances of signing guard Monta Ellis in free agency, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Ellis plans to opt out of the $11 million final year of his contract with the Bucks to become a free agent this summer, the source said. Ellis became acquainted with Malone, an assistant on Mark Jackson's Golden State Warriors' staff, during his last season in Golden State before he was traded to Milwaukee. During that brief time, Ellis quickly gained a great deal of respect for Malone's basketball IQ and his ability to teach and relate to players.

The Kings were recently purchased by an ownership group led by former Warriors minority owner Vivek Ranadive. Ellis averaged 19.2 points and six assists last season for the Bucks and averaged more than 20 points in each of his last three seasons with the Warriors.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kings ... 55084.html
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Monta Increases Interest In Kings With Mike Malone Hire

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:

By Marc J. Spears

The Sacramento Kings' decision to hire Michael Malone as their next head coach should improve their chances of signing guard Monta Ellis in free agency, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Ellis plans to opt out of the $11 million final year of his contract with the Bucks to become a free agent this summer, the source said. Ellis became acquainted with Malone, an assistant on Mark Jackson's Golden State Warriors' staff, during his last season in Golden State before he was traded to Milwaukee. During that brief time, Ellis quickly gained a great deal of respect for Malone's basketball IQ and his ability to teach and relate to players.

The Kings were recently purchased by an ownership group led by former Warriors minority owner Vivek Ranadive. Ellis averaged 19.2 points and six assists last season for the Bucks and averaged more than 20 points in each of his last three seasons with the Warriors.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kings ... 55084.html

Smart decision to opt out this year. There are a lot of players of his quality next year. This year should be one of the few second tier stars out there.
Savory Griddles

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:28 pm

I believe he made a good decision in regards to the current free agency market but he must have his heart set on leaving the Bucks. There is no way Monta should be making or receiving $11M a season. Winning & culture over money? I can respect that.
Chillbongo

Postby XXIV on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Yeah I don't think he'll be making $11 million again, but maybe something in the $7-9 million range. Should be interesting to see if he really does go to the Kings.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:47 pm

It's not about yearly salary at his stage in his career. It's about a long term contract that's also lucrative. Who knows whether or not he'll be healthy enough next season to earn a long term deal? This was a great decision for him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:00 am

Interesting

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/341375590215073793
Hearing early projections given to GMs and owners in May have NBA salary cap rising to just $58.5 mil next season. This season: $58.044 mil

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 am

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/341591785795117056

NBA teams being told PROJECTED luxury-tax threshold for next season:$71.6 million. Reminder: Projections not binding until full July audit

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:45 am

Wow the salary is way off from what I (and likely many others) were expecting. I was expecting it at around the $65 million range, but I heard others were thinking it could be up to $70 million.
XXIV

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 am

Lionel Hollins leaving Memphis. I'd love him here.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 am

Its comical when I see posters here wanting us to find a way to get Jennings, when his own team doesn't want to bring him back over just as inefficient chucker no D playing Ellis.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am

XXIV wrote:Wow the salary is way off from what I (and likely many others) were expecting. I was expecting it at around the $65 million range, but I heard others were thinking it could be up to $70 million.

dont know where you hearing this stuff from but I heard $60 was the best anyone could've expected.
khmrP

Postby XXIV on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:53 am

khmrP wrote:
XXIV wrote:Wow the salary is way off from what I (and likely many others) were expecting. I was expecting it at around the $65 million range, but I heard others were thinking it could be up to $70 million.

dont know where you hearing this stuff from but I heard $60 was the best anyone could've expected.

710 was estimating it to be close to $70 million.
XXIV

Postby OX1947 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:01 pm

If the cap ends up at 70 million, which I doubt it does for Summer of 2014, the Lakers would have 61 million dollars of cap space should they not have Howard and Kobe retires. 61 million dollars free to sign a few max contracts. Only issue is, there isnt much talent in 2014.
OX1947

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:04 pm

You guys are confusing salary cap with luxury tax.

The salary cap would be at around 58 this summer with the luxury tax at near 70.

Next summer it'll be something like 60 and 72.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 pm

So the CAP is $58M but the TAX threshold is at $70M.

What if our payroll comes out to $65M? Are we paying tax on that extra $7M?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:04 pm

As I understand it: no. Luxury tax penalties will start at 70 million.

In 2014 the Lakers will likely come just below that to avoid the "repeater" tax.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:58 pm

So essentially, we can sign a roster up to $68M without having to suffer the consequences of the tax. Not bad.

If we amnesty Metta, lose Duhon, and lose Sacre, we'll be at $68M.

This is without moving Pau and assuming Dwight walks.
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm lost, what's the point of the cap if you can go 8 to 10 mil over it before luxury taxes? It's not a "cap" on what you can spend if there's no penalty for not exceeding exactly the number it's at, no? Luxury tax threshold is the real cap then, which is why I always thought they were the same thing.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Last year, 70 million was the Luxury Tax threshold and 58 million was the Salary Cap.

If the Lux Tax Threshold is 71 million next season, then that means the salary cap hasn't raised much either.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm lost, what's the point of the cap if you can go 8 to 10 mil over it before luxury taxes? It's not a "cap" on what you can spend if there's no penalty for not exceeding exactly the number it's at, no? Luxury tax threshold is the real cap then, which is why I always thought they were the same thing.

There's a Cap limit (58 million projected) and a Luxury tax threshold (70 million+ projected).

There's a bit of gap there I believe because it helps teams retain players that they've had on their team for 3+ years. That way they can build a strong team around a guy and then have enough room to retain him if/when he grows into a larger contract.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:I'm lost, what's the point of the cap if you can go 8 to 10 mil over it before luxury taxes? It's not a "cap" on what you can spend if there's no penalty for not exceeding exactly the number it's at, no? Luxury tax threshold is the real cap then, which is why I always thought they were the same thing.

There's a Cap limit (58 million projected) and a Luxury tax threshold (70 million+ projected).

There's a bit of gap there I believe because it helps teams retain players that they've had on their team for 3+ years. That way they can build a strong team around a guy and then have enough room to retain him if/when he grows into a larger contract.

See, this I did not know. I have been having arguments for quite a while now speaking as if we go over the 58 mil cap we get taxed, it's why I have been so against giving Dwight max, it's why I have been saying it will be hard as hell to have Dwight and 1 other star a with max deals and a competitive team around them. Had I known that the 58 mil is a pretend number that means nothing and that 68 or 70 is where you get fined, I probably wouldn't have been arguing a lot of what I have this entire season. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Yea 58 is the cap. Sometimes team go over 58 because they have to re-sign their guys to extensions or what not so the NBA gives them room of about 10-12 million. Ever mil after that is a taxable amount. Obviously teams under the cap enjoy some benefits too such as picking up amnestied FA's, paying Free Agents more than just the BAE, mini MLE,etc

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

See, this I did not know. I have been having arguments for quite a while now speaking as if we go over the 58 mil cap we get taxed, it's why I have been so against giving Dwight max, it's why I have been saying it will be hard as hell to have Dwight and 1 other star a with max deals and a competitive team around them. Had I known that the 58 mil is a pretend number that means nothing and that 68 or 70 is where you get fined, I probably wouldn't have been arguing a lot of what I have this entire season. :man10:

Well that first limit is for players we can't sign from outside of our team. So your gut feeling was partially right. We won't be able to sign one of the outside free agents we're aiming for once we pass that 58 million mark. But we won't get taxed if we stay under 70.

What I'm suspecting could happen is that we re-sign Dwight. We get one more big name target. Then we take it easy on the money for that season and sign only small one-year deals. Then we'll go after someone again in the also lucrative 2015 free agency class.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion