Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 pm

^ Agreed on Corey Brewer. There's a handful of good wings this offseason that could help us alot, & I think he's at the top of the list considering what we need. Love to see us replace Meeks with Dunleavy also.

Wouldn't mind going after Will Bynum but he wouldn't be my 1st choice. I'd go after Mo Williams, Foye, Devin Harris, Cj Watson, & possibly even Calderon before Bynum. But let's face it, Nash & Blake will both miss some games, we need a better 3rd string PG than Duhon or Morris. Also if we're able to trade Nash we need to jump at the chance & may not be able to get a good PG back. We might actually be able to deal Duhon too if we can acquire a pick to package with him. Duhon has a really cheap buyout & could help a team get under the tax. Hopefully Mitch gets assurance from Dwight that he's staying & then we help Houston unload TRob's contract for Duhon & they buy him out to get the space to strike out on D12 :man12:
lakersin4

Postby Center Court on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:48 am

Something tells me someone is going to over pay for Brewer. Maybe it's Denver but without a full MLE, we're stuck.

For me an ideal, yet realistic off season would be:

1) Trade Blake/Duhon for Ariza

2) Use mMLE on Mo Williams. (He's gotten paid in his career and and this point, I think he wants to win. He'd essentially be our 6th man.)

3) Sign Anthony Morrow to the Vet Min

4) Sign Stephen Jackson to the Vet Min

5) Sign Dunleavy to the Vet Min (I'd prefer Jamison if he's willing to come back)

6) Sign Ronnie Brewer to Vet Min

6) Reisgn Dwight

7) Resign Clark

Dwight/Hill
Pau/Clark/Dunleavy
Ariza/Morrow/Jackson
Kobe/Brewer/Meeks
Nash/Mo Williams

bench would be deeper, tougher, younger, balanced yet versatile, and fits well together.
Center Court

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:45 am

^^^^ :jam2: Perfect!
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:49 am

Center Court wrote:Something tells me someone is going to over pay for Brewer. Maybe it's Denver but without a full MLE, we're stuck.

2) Use mMLE on Mo Williams. (He's gotten paid in his career and and this point, I think he wants to win. He'd essentially be our 6th man.)

5) Sign Dunleavy to the Vet Min (I'd prefer Jamison if he's willing to come back)

6) Reisgn Dwight

7) Resign Clark

Dwight/Hill
Pau/Clark/Dunleavy
Ariza/Morrow/Jackson
Kobe/Brewer/Meeks
Nash/Mo Williams

bench would be deeper, tougher, younger, balanced yet versatile, and fits well together.

and metta?? :man3:
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby Magic Skywalker on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:05 am

Gone by him opting out or amnesty.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 am

Farmar eyes return to NBA

By Nick Borges | ESPN.com

Point guard Jordan Farmar has spent the last two years overseas and he's hoping to receive an offer from an NBA team during the summer.

"He wants to come back to the NBA, for sure," agent Tony Dutt tells The Journal Times "He’s still young and he could help some teams."

Farmer is under contract for two more years with Anadolu Efes (Turkey), however his deal includes an NBA-out clause. Farmar will be leaving money on the table as he's guaranteed $10 million through 2014-15 and he likely won't get that from an NBA team.

Teams that might have interest in Farmar are Milwaukee, Boston, Brooklyn, Cleveland, Dallas, Indiana, New York Orlando, Philadelphia and Utah.

We could get him for the vet. min for sure.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:23 am

Center Court wrote:Something tells me someone is going to over pay for Brewer. Maybe it's Denver but without a full MLE, we're stuck.

6) Reisgn Dwight

7) Resign Clark

Dwight/Hill
Pau/Clark/Dunleavy
Ariza/Morrow/Jackson
Kobe/Brewer/Meeks
Nash/Mo Williams

If we can't get Corey Brewer, I think I'd go for Budinger or Wright before Morrow. If Mo's willing to take a pay cut to come here, no question you make the Ariza deal, but I was reminded the other day by another poster that we're not on the radar of ringchasers coming off that joke of a season. But let's say for the sake of getting to post this amazing roster that he does.

I agree with adding Dunleavy, great shooter that would thrive with all the wide open 3's our wings get here. Not sure why you have him at PF as he's more of a SG/SF. He really struggles guarding PF's & we're loaded there & thin at the wings. I think keeping Meeks is dependent on if Kobe is ready to start the season. If he is, I think we let him walk if we're able to get Dunleavy.

Instead of Ronnie Brewer, I'd sign a 3rd PG for when Nash gets hurt. Someone like CJ Watson would be ideal. I think MWP will opt out & agree to a 3 year deal at 2-2.5 per season. He seems willing to do anything to stay on the team, but he's not going to take a 2 year deal worth less than he can make this season if we amnesty him. If we lose Jamison & our SF's are playing well, I think we could see Ron see minutes as a stretch 4. His decline in speed doesn't hurt us as much when he's at PF, & he's strong enough to handle alot of 4's.

Nash/Mo/Watson
24/Dunleavy
Ariza/Budinger
Pau/Clark
D12/Hill

Wish we could swap Pau out for a Millsap or David West type player.. That would really cover up our defensive flaws at Guard. But Ariza is a big upgrade from MWP on both sides of the ball in terms of fit with the rest of the starters. That bench is probably the best bench in the league with Mo as the leader & a 6MOY candidate. If we managed to pull this off, we should really be able to rest our old guys for the postseason ala Spurs.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 am

Do we need to turn realism mode on in here or something?

How are we supposed to get Mo / Watson / Dunleavy / Budinger with the mini-MLE and vet. min?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:42 am

Doc Brown wrote:Do we need to turn realism mode on in here or something?

How are we supposed to get Mo / Watson / Dunleavy / Budinger with the mini-MLE and vet. min?

:man10: Yes I admit it's very pipe. I think Watson will end up playing for the minimum & Dunleavy might also. Budinger is restricted isn't he? So he will either get a better offer or Min will match. Mo taking a paycut is unlikely but there are alternatives like his teammate Randy Foye who would be realistic for the mini MLE.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:38 pm

10:32
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Marvin Williams could have become a free agent had he invoked the ETO (early termination option) in his contract, but he has already taken the steps to decline it, reports Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.

This move was expected since he's due to make $7.5 million next season. He had a poor season -- his first in Utah -- with the Jazz and won't won't be available for the start of 2013-14 as he recovers from right heel/right Achilles tendon surgery.

The Jazz are likely to shop Williams and if they can't find a taker they will let him walk in 2014 when he becomes a free agent.

I wouldn't mind if we tried to sell Nash to Utah, who is in need of a PG, for Williams and a pick.

This move would clear everyone off the books for the following season.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 am

Add two more free agents to the list this year....

Rockets' new approach

By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

Per Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle, the Houston Rockets "have told agents for Francisco Garcia, Carlos Delfino and Aaron Brooks that they will not pickup contract options this month." It's hardly a surprise that they would opt out of keeping fringe players like that trio, as they want to focus their finances on landing a superstar like Dwight Howard or Chris Paul. According to Feigen, the Rockets have a new long-term plan that they intend to share with potential free-agents like Howard and/or Paul.

"The moves they hope will come next will be a major part of their sales pitch, a person with knowledge of that part of their presentation said. The Rockets intend to describe details about their plans after signing a free agent, according to the individual familiar with their strategy, including a shift to the pursuit of veterans rather than the sort of young prospects they have collected in recent seasons and a willingness to spend well into luxury tax territory," he wrote.

With the likes of James Harden, Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons already on the roster, the Rockets could be one superstar free agent away from being a legitimate title contender.
Doc Brown

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:13 am

Aaron Brooks and Francisco Garcia can work. Brooks played under the Suns' system and back up Nash. Francisco is a feisty defender who can shoot.
Kobe8Fan

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:Aaron Brooks and Francisco Garcia can work. Brooks played under the Suns' system and back up Nash. Francisco is a feisty defender who can shoot.

I like all 3 of those guys, but I think Delfino is a little better than Garcia. All 3 would be good additions if we can get them for the minimum.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Delfino would be nice.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes, any or all 3 of those players I wouldn't mind at all either.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 pm

I'd do without Aaron Brooks. That guy really isn't all that great. He just looks good against our teams because he's small and quick and we can't defend those types of guards worth a crap.

Garcia is so intensely below-average that i really wouldn't care.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:14 am

therealdeal wrote:I'd do without Aaron Brooks. That guy really isn't all that great. He just looks good against our teams because he's small and quick and we can't defend those types of guards worth a crap.

Garcia is so intensely below-average that i really wouldn't care.

Brooks isn't great but I'd take him for the minimum as our 3rd string PG over Duhon for 3.9M. He's not at the top of my list of free agent PG's but right below guys like Cj Watson & Will Bynum. If we miss out on the better PG's I wouldn't be mad at signing Brooks. I'm not a big Garcia fan either but again, he's better than what we have at backup SF now (noone?) so if we can't get someone better(Brewer,Budinger,Wright), I'd take him. I think Delfino will command more than the minimum so I'm not really interested in him.
lakersin4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:18 am

This is why drafting/ developping your own role players is so important ... if you don't do that , you will end up either getting so-so players or overpaying the best role players available in free agency ...something we can't even do
wcsoldier81

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:28 am

Ellis, who had one year, $11 million left on his contract, will become one of the most coveted free agents on the market this summer.

Sources say the Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks and the Los Angeles Lakers have interest in Ellis, although the Lakers could get Ellis only via an unlikely sign-and-trade deal.

Ellis, who originally signed a six-year, $66 million deal with the Golden State Warriors, is close with Lakers free agent Dwight Howard. The two have long desired to play together.

If Howard cannot achieve his top goal of playing with Chris Paul, teaming up with Ellis may become an option he would strongly consider.

anyway we can trade gasol for ellis?
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 am

Ellis can't come here. He could have if he had opted in, but as a free agent he isn't coming here for anything more than 3.1 million.

We can't ACCEPT anyone in a S&T deal like that.

Maybe if we could send out Artest for a TPE somehow. Or Gasol. But barring those unlikely events, we're not going to bring Ellis in. Which sucks because I think he'd be a great fit for the team right now. We could really use someone like him with Kobe sidelined and Nash being ancient. Ellis isn't great, he's not efficient, but the guy can puts points on the board without anyone else's help and that could really bring something to this team that it needs.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 am

i think there are ways to get ellis in a s&t, but it would probably involve amnestying mwp AND moving pau in a deal where very little salary came back.

lots of moving parts, there. i wouldn't necessarily be opposed if it would get dwight to stay a la the nets taking on joe johnson. though i'd still try to sell dwight on the idea that one year from now, the lakers will be able to sign someone much better (or even absorb a player such as ellis in trade).
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:22 am

I was advocating for a Gasol/Ellis swap with obviously some other moving pieces because I think Ellis is a very good fit for the team at this point. He'd be good next to Dwight and I suppose they're friends although I didn't know that which also helps.

If Gasol can be moved for a TPE, then sure let's go for it. I think much like you saying there's value in having a Griffin or Harden to draw talent, Ellis can be in the same vein. I don't think he's as good, but he's a fan favorite type of guy and I haven't heard much opposition to him throughout the league.

I'd go for it if it's possible.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Chris Broussard: Lakers Have Interest In Monta Ellis

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:16 am

Chris Broussard: Lakers Have Interest In Monta Ellis

Monta Ellis has informed the Milwaukee Bucks that he will opt out of the last year of his deal, according to league sources.

Ellis, who had one year, $11 million left on his contract, will become one of the most coveted free agents on the market this summer.

Sources say the Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks and the Los Angeles Lakers have interest in Ellis, although the Lakers could get Ellis only via an unlikely sign-and-trade deal.

Ellis, who originally signed a six-year, $66 million deal with the Golden State Warriors, is close with Lakers free agent Dwight Howard. The two have long desired to play together.

If Howard cannot achieve his top goal of playing with Chris Paul, teaming up with Ellis may become an option he would strongly consider.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... ct-sources
Kobe8Fan

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:41 am

What could we offer Ellis? Mini-MLE? :man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Center Court on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:22 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:What could we offer Ellis? Mini-MLE? :man10:

It's so funny to me that a "acclaimed" report like Broussard has no knowledge of the S&T rule but 4/5 posters here do.

He'll probably end up in Atl or Dallas. Maybe Indiana.
Center Court

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion