Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 pm

I thought this was cool from last night's TWC event where Phil, Jeanie, and Mitch were there and Mitch said this:

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 12h

I asked Mitch he he had an idea which of the 4 possible RFA's he'll give qualifying offers to - answer yes - would he tell me who? no

Mitch already has a plan in place (Magic Wand....)
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Report: DeMarcus Cousins Wants Max Extension Or Trade From Kings

DeMarcus Cousins reportedly wants a maximum contract extension from the Sacramento Kings.

Cousins is eligible for an extension this summer, and his agent, Dan Fegan, is angling for a max offer with the threat of a trade demand if a deal isn't reached.

Barring an agreement, Fegan has instructed Cousins not to speak on anything relating to the Kings team, management or ownership.

Cousins declined to comment when asked about the Kings’ new ownership group, which is headed by Vivek Ranadive.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/19/551013 ... =Kings/NBA
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Mark Cuban: Mavericks Not Discussing Trade Involving Shawn Marion

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Mark Cuban has been open about the Mavericks aggressively exploring opportunities to trade the No. 13 overall pick.

Cuban is adamant, however, that the rumors about the Mavs being willing to part with the pick for minimal return if a team takes Shawn Marion’s $9.32 million salary off their hands are inaccurate. Cuban insists that the Mavs have not had any talks with teams about trading Marion. \

“Not a single discussion,” Cuban said via email to ESPNDallas.com.

At the moment, the Mavs have $41.81 million worth of commitments and cap holds that would count against next season’s cap, which is expected to be set at $58.5 million. That number could increase by six figures if they opt to keep Brandan Wright’s Early Bird rights and/or the nonguaranteed contracts of Bernard James and Josh Akognon.

The Mavs need to make some cuts to have enough cap space to offer Dwight Howard a max contract, which would have a first-year salary of $20.51 million. That’s why they are shopping the lottery pick that comes with a cap hold of $1.66 million.

Trading Marion into another team’s cap space would create enough wiggle room for the Mavs to sign a max player (Howard or Chris Paul) and likely another starter. However, Cuban has repeatedly referenced the 35-year-old Marion’s value to the Mavs and expressed interest in re-signing the only player other than Dirk Nowitzki who remains on the roster from the 2011 title team.

Something else worth considering with the Marion rumors: The Mavs probably wouldn’t do themselves any favors in their pursuit of Howard if they dealt Marion to a team he considers undesirable. Agent Dan Fegan represents both Howard and Marion.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maverick ... ing-marion
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Source: C.J. Watson To Opt Out Of Contract With Nets

By Mike Mazzeo | ESPNNewYork.com

A league source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com Thursday that Nets backup point guard C.J. Watson will opt out of the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

Watson had a player option for $1.1 million; he signed a two-year deal last offseason.

The source said it’s possible that he returns -- the Nets can only offer him the veteran’s minimum because they are over the salary cap -- but there will obviously be a marketplace for a backup point guard that can make 3-point shots consistently.

Second-year pro Tyshawn Taylor is the only other point guard currently under contract aside from starter Deron Williams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/brookl ... free-agent
Kobe8Fan

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:32 am

Gonna be very interesting to see what we try and do, I'm not expecting much though.
JLaker17

Postby The Rock on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 am

Watching the finals, our roster composition is closer to lottery bound teams than it is to Finals teams. We need athletes, shooters, young blood, toughness, shot creaters from the perimeter. Post up days are over. Duncan got single covered all of Game 6 and 7 by Bosh and Birdman (why do you think Danny Green didnt go off?) and he couldn't make him pay enough times.

Dwight is a great place to start our team but he isnt gonna be a Number 1 option

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Aonex on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Someone post this already?

Arash Markazi @ArashMarkazi 21 Jun
Sasha Vujacic and Jordan Farmar, who have been playing in Turkey, are back in L.A. and looking to get back in the NBA.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby karacha on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Do it, Mitch. :man1:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 pm

I think I'd honestly be okay with both of them joining our team. :man10:

After complaining about them for so long.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:17 pm

therealdeal wrote:I think I'd honestly be okay with both of them joining our team. :man10:

After complaining about them for so long.

After dealing with Morris and Ebanks so would I. :man10:
XXIV

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Do you guys think Trev, Jordan, Shannon and Sasha would thrive better in D'Antoni's offense than the Triangle?
Kobe8Fan

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:34 am

Not a free agent thing but the Cavs are rumored to be swapping the #19 pick for the #13 & taking on Marion's salary. Obviously we can't take on salary as is, but seems like a good opportunity to move Pau. Shop him for a cheap rotation player or 2, a pick slightly better than the #19 the Cavs can offer, & a TPE big enough to take on Marion. So we get a decent player or players from the team getting Pau & swap the pick & TPE for Marion & the 13.. After that if we can't package the 13 with another contract & get an upgrade, we hopefully draft a guy good enough to be a rotation player on a rookie contract. We need some of those with this CBA.
lakersin4

Carl Landry Expected To Opt Out, Test Free Agency

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:34 am

Carl Landry Expected To Opt Out, Test Free Agency

OAKLAND -- Warriors forward Carl Landry is leaning toward opting out of the final year of his contract with Golden State and pursuing free agency, according to his agent.

"He's worth a lot more than the contract he has and the direction (we're moving) toward is him opting out," said his agent, Mark Bartelstein. "Things can change, but that's where it's leaning."

Landry signed a two-year, $8 million contract last summer with the second year as a player option. He has until Wednesday, the day before the NBA Draft, to decide whether to opt in to the remaining $4 million or choose to become a free agent. He is not expected to inform the Warriors until close to the deadline.

"(The Warriors) knew it was essentially a one-year deal when he signed," Bartelstein said. "They got him at below market value."

Warriors general manager Bob Myers agreed.

"We didn't think we'd get Landry on the number that we did," he said Wednesday.

Bartelstein, who also represents David Lee and Brandon Rush, said he has not had any discussion with Myers about Landry's situation, but plans to in the coming days.

If Landry opts out, it doesn't completely slam the door on his return to the team. Like Jarrett Jack, whose contract expires on June 30, Landry would still have the option to re-sign with the Warriors -- and that's not out of the question.

"The plan is we'll look at everything with Carl," Bartelstein said. "He loved playing for the Warriors. He called it 'the most fun he's ever had in the NBA' so we'll see look at everything."

Landry averaged 10.8 points and 6.0 rebounds in 81 regular season games.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/land ... ree-agency
Kobe8Fan

Greg Oden Remains Interested In Signing With Heat

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:40 am

Greg Oden Remains Interested In Signing With Heat

By CHRIS TOMASSON

MIAMI — Greg Oden and his agent know what everybody else does. If the Miami Heat want to win a third straight NBA title, it might be important to get some size.

Oden is willing to help.

Oden’s agent, Mike Conley, told FOX Sports Florida by phone Friday that the free-agent center remains very interested in signing with the Heat this summer and the feeling is mutual. Conley expects to talk with Heat president Pat Riley when free agency begins July 1 about the 7-foot Oden, the 2007 No. 1 draft pick who hasn’t played in the NBA since December 2009 due to knee problems.

"The Heat need some size, that’s not a secret," Conley said. "Whether it’s in a backup role or whatever, he could help them. I know they’re interested in him and he’s interested in them."

The Heat won their second consecutive title with a 95-88 victory Thursday over the San Antonio Spurs in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. It was their second straight seven-game series after having defeated the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals.

The Pacers exposed Miami s lack of size as 7-2 center Roy Hibbert had a dominant series. The Chicago Bulls also pose some problems for Miami in the East with their size.

"The Miami Heat make sense," Conley said of his client possibly landing there.

Other teams in the mix for Oden include Cleveland, San Antonio, Charlotte and Boston. Along with the Heat, Oden, who played at Ohio State, has most been linked with the Cavaliers.

"He still likes Cleveland, but we’ll have to see what they do in the draft," Conley said of the Cavaliers, who have the No. 1 pick in next Thursday’s draft and could take Maryland center Alex Len or Kentucky forward/center Nerlens Noel.

Oden, 25, has been hampered by numerous knee problems since being taken No. 1 by Portland in the 2007 draft. But he has been continuing to rehab in Columbus, Ohio, and his hometown of Indianapolis.

"He’s doing great. I think he could be ready for the regular-season opener," Conley said. "I’m not sure he’d be ready to play significant minutes. But it would depend on whether the team that he went to wanted him to play right away or not."

Conley said Oden is willing to work out with teams in July, including the Heat. But the agent said he "wouldn’t do contact" in a workout.

Miami will have the taxpayer midlevel exception starting at $3.183 million to pay a free agent this summer. However, some of that money might be needed if the Heat want to re-sign center Chris "Birdman" Andersen.

Andersen’s agent, Mark Bryant, told FOX Sports Florida early in the playoffs that Andersen is hopeful of remaining in Miami. Andersen hasn’t been willing yet to speculate on his future.

Also, Milwaukee center Samuel Dalembert, who will become a free agent July 1, told FOX Sports early in the playoffs he has interest in signing with Miami. The Heat pursued Dalembert as a free agent before the 2011-12 season.

When asked whether Miami’s available amount of $3.183 million would be sufficient to sign Oden, Conley said, "We haven’t gone down that road." The market will determine Oden’s value when free agency gets under way.

"He’s really excited,"’ Conley said about Oden wanting to get back in the NBA. "I’ve never seen him this excited."

Chris Tomasson can be reached at christomasson@hotmail.com or on Twitter @christomasson.

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/nba/mia ... edID=10140
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 am

Andrei Kirilenko Likely To Wait Until After Draft To Decide On Option

by: Jerry Zgoda

I spoke with Andrei Kirilenko from the south of France just a few minutes ago and he said he probably won't decide whether to pick up his $10 million-plus option for next year until after next week's draft.

Kirilenko has until June 29 to make up his mind, a curious date because it's two days after the June 27 draft.

"I think it will come right after the draft,'" he said of his decision when reached today just after dinnertime in France.

You'd think the Wolves would want to know Kirilenko's status heading into the draft so they can make informed decisions, but that's the date in the two-year contract David Kahn reached with him last summer.

Kirilenko said he hasn't spoken with his agent at length about the matter yet, but plans to do so in the next three to four days.

Kahn's departure and the arrival of new basketball ops president Flip Saunders probably will affect Kirilenko's decision.

Kahn would have been more likely to offer Kirilenko a substantial three-year extension -- maybe even at similar money -- that he is seeking here at age 32.

Saunders might be willing to offer him, say, a two-year deal if Kirilenko opts out of next season, but you can bet it won't be at $10 million per year.

Kirilenko has said he could walk away from that $10 million because this might be the last chance in his career for a multi-year extension rather than take a chance on next summer, when Miami's big three all could hit free agency if each so chooses.

He also has said his family will help make the decision. His three children like living in the United States and he said late last season that they enjoy living in Minnesota.

Denver's Andre Iguodala last week walked away from a $16 million option for next season, but he's also three years younger than Kirilenko.

This, of course, could go either one, but I think Flip's arrival as boss makes it more likely Kirilenko takes the $10 million guaranteed in his pocket and then sees what summer 2014 brings.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/212362091.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:29 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:Do you guys think Trev, Jordan, Shannon and Sasha would thrive better in D'Antoni's offense than the Triangle?

Definitely D'Antoni. More freedom for them to use their athleticism and to get out and run.

But their all smart enough to be effective in the Triangle too.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
Andrei Kirilenko Likely To Wait Until After Draft To Decide On Option

by: Jerry Zgoda

I spoke with Andrei Kirilenko from the south of France just a few minutes ago and he said he probably won't decide whether to pick up his $10 million-plus option for next year until after next week's draft.

Kirilenko has until June 29 to make up his mind, a curious date because it's two days after the June 27 draft.

"I think it will come right after the draft,'" he said of his decision when reached today just after dinnertime in France.

You'd think the Wolves would want to know Kirilenko's status heading into the draft so they can make informed decisions, but that's the date in the two-year contract David Kahn reached with him last summer.

Kirilenko said he hasn't spoken with his agent at length about the matter yet, but plans to do so in the next three to four days.

Kahn's departure and the arrival of new basketball ops president Flip Saunders probably will affect Kirilenko's decision.

Kahn would have been more likely to offer Kirilenko a substantial three-year extension -- maybe even at similar money -- that he is seeking here at age 32.

Saunders might be willing to offer him, say, a two-year deal if Kirilenko opts out of next season, but you can bet it won't be at $10 million per year.

Kirilenko has said he could walk away from that $10 million because this might be the last chance in his career for a multi-year extension rather than take a chance on next summer, when Miami's big three all could hit free agency if each so chooses.

He also has said his family will help make the decision. His three children like living in the United States and he said late last season that they enjoy living in Minnesota.

Denver's Andre Iguodala last week walked away from a $16 million option for next season, but he's also three years younger than Kirilenko.

This, of course, could go either one, but I think Flip's arrival as boss makes it more likely Kirilenko takes the $10 million guaranteed in his pocket and then sees what summer 2014 brings.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/212362091.html

I still like AK in a package for Pau..Great fit with this team. Once he opts in, that becomes possible again. If we can't pry Love away from them, we can still get a good deal imo. AK, Dwill2, Barea, #9? I know the pick is seriously reaching but if that was possible, I'd be all over it. Would still take the deal if they gave up #26 instead.
lakersin4

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Is it crazy that I would jump at the chance to sign Farmar and Sasha after a year of Morris and Meeks?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Not unless Farmar and Sasha suddenly look completely different.

Weezy wrote:Is it crazy that I would jump at the chance to sign Farmar and Sasha after a year of Morris and Meeks?
charvin

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Well they thrived in New Jersey after they left LA, and they've been overseas, I think they're probably in their primes right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:12 pm

I'd definitely take them over Morris/Meeks.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:45 pm

I'd take Farmar over Morris but not over Foye, Collison, Calderon, & Devin Harris if any of them will come for the minimum. I'd also prefer CJ Watson, & have Farmar ranked right around the same level as Will Bynum. Probably give the edge to Farmar because of his past with us. But if we can get any of those other guys for the same price, pass on Farmar. As far as Sasha, yeah I think I'd take him over Meeks, but I'm really hoping we can get Dunleavy for the minimum but he might get more than that, I think he's one of the few good 3 point shooters that wouldn't lose his shot here. He's also like the anti-Meeks, the shots that he hits are usually big momentum shots. Martell Webster, Morrow, Ronnie Brewer as other options to consider. Although we might consider singing 2 sg's since Kobe probably won't be ready to start the season. I'd love to get Delfino but I want to save the mini MLE for Corey Brewer. Mini MLE - Brewer, minimum Watson or Farmar, minimum Dunleavy or Sasha, minimum Morrow. That'd be a great offseason.
lakersin4

Postby bystander on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:59 pm

checking the payroll found out according to basketball reference lakers are paying karl malone and ron harper wtf ?!?!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/LAL.html
Last edited by bystander on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:00 pm

I think you're dreaming if you think we could get Collison, Calderon or Harris for the minimum. Watson maybe, but I don't see Farmar as worse than him, he's younger, and Farmar is actually a guard that likes to run and can make layups which seems to be what we'd be looking for with our current coach. I'm also not a Dunleavy fan, would rather roll the dice and see how Sasha has progressed, also don't think Dunleavy is taking the minimum.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:02 am

This Cleveland/Dallas rumor is killing me.. #19 for #13 & eating Marion's contract? Marion would fit great here & the 13 gives us another trade asset or if we're lucky a prospect that can atleast be a rotation guy as a rookie. If I was Mitch I'd be asking Cuban if he'd accept a TPE + similar pick from us, & if he says yes, I'd be shopping Pau for a good backup PG on a cheap contract + a few cheap throw ins, a TPE big enough for Marion, & a pick better than the 19.
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion