Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Weezy wrote:I think you're dreaming if you think we could get Collison, Calderon or Harris for the minimum. Watson maybe, but I don't see Farmar as worse than him, he's younger, and Farmar is actually a guard that likes to run and can make layups which seems to be what we'd be looking for with our current coach. I'm also not a Dunleavy fan, would rather roll the dice and see how Sasha has progressed, also don't think Dunleavy is taking the minimum.

I'd love Collison, but Weezy's right, he ain't coming for the minimum. He'd take at least our m-mle. I'd take him for that. I think he had a rough go last year in Dallas. He obviously has some talent. With Nash a question mark, I'd take him. I know we'd ideally use that to get a sf, but I think pg may become just as big an issue.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
Weezy wrote:I think you're dreaming if you think we could get Collison, Calderon or Harris for the minimum. Watson maybe, but I don't see Farmar as worse than him, he's younger, and Farmar is actually a guard that likes to run and can make layups which seems to be what we'd be looking for with our current coach. I'm also not a Dunleavy fan, would rather roll the dice and see how Sasha has progressed, also don't think Dunleavy is taking the minimum.

I'd love Collison, but Weezy's right, he ain't coming for the minimum. He'd take at least our m-mle. I'd take him for that. I think he had a rough go last year in Dallas. He obviously has some talent. With Nash a question mark, I'd take him. I know we'd ideally use that to get a sf, but I think pg may become just as big an issue.

With the mini-MLE I nab the most talented player I can. Whether that's Collison, Henderson, or whomever. You can't worry about position when we're struggling at every position besides Center.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Agree realdeal we need help everywhere but C,SG

Well that's it, need something almost everywhere
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:03 pm

League source: three veterans who are candidates to be in deals leading up to, or during NBA draft are the Bulls' Luol Deng, Pacers' Danny Granger and Blazers' Lamarcus Aldridge. The Cavs apparently have interest in Deng and he certainly would be a terrific role model and leader-by-example for a young squad; the Cavs also have a gaping hole at that position and if they have interest in vying for a playoff spot next season, a rookie out of this draft isn't going to move them appreciably closer. That said, there is skepticism that the Cavs are actually serious about parting with the No. 1 pick because they keep asking for assets as if it were the first pick in next year's draft. 10 minutes ago
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Mods I'll leave it to you to decide if we should just make a 2013 Draft Rumor's thread or just throw everything into here...

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO 1h
Cavs said to be intrigued with Timberwolves talks, but not "keen on" Wolves' 9th pick. I'll have more later on http://FOXSportsOhio.com .
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Maybe we can sneak in here and help the two teams out get what they want out of deal by using Pau.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3h
In multiple radio interviews Thursday, Stern made it clear NBA sees idea of Doc & KG both landing with Clips as one trade broken into two

Since KG can't go to the Clips and he's probably not going to want to stay for the Boston rebuild, I wonder if he would force is way here? Come to LA and then recruit Pierce.
Doc Brown

Postby Amoray on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
In multiple radio interviews Thursday, Stern made it clear NBA sees idea of Doc & KG both landing with Clips as one trade broken into two

Since KG can't go to the Clips and he's probably not going to want to stay for the Boston rebuild, I wonder if he would force is way here? Come to LA and then recruit Pierce.

That would be nice to have D12, K24, KG, PP and trade Gasoft to good PG and then contend for champ.
Amoray

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

Cp3 to lakers, stern said no, clippers got him

KG and PP to clippers, stern said no, lakers get them...

Hmmm karma?
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby Amoray on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:06 pm

lAKERfaNaticKID wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Cp3 to lakers, stern said no, clippers got him

KG and PP to clippers, stern said no, lakers get them...

Hmmm karma?

Wish the words Lakers got them, instead of Lakers get them!!!
Amoray

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
League source: three veterans who are candidates to be in deals leading up to, or during NBA draft are the Bulls' Luol Deng, Pacers' Danny Granger and Blazers' Lamarcus Aldridge. The Cavs apparently have interest in Deng and he certainly would be a terrific role model and leader-by-example for a young squad; the Cavs also have a gaping hole at that position and if they have interest in vying for a playoff spot next season, a rookie out of this draft isn't going to move them appreciably closer. That said, there is skepticism that the Cavs are actually serious about parting with the No. 1 pick because they keep asking for assets as if it were the first pick in next year's draft. 10 minutes ago

I'd cry tears of joy to land any of these guys (given they're all healthy of course).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:15 pm

I would take any one of those guys as well, especially for Pau.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:52 am

If only we could land Lamarcus Aldridge somehow...
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby NoisyBook on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:20 am

In either case of Dwight stays or walks, we should try to trade Pau for draft picks... Developing own role players is gonna be the biggest chance to have a good team with flexible salary cap... We all know we are gonna have salary cap issue in 2014, if we don't trade Steve Nash or he doesn't want to retire...
NoisyBook

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:34 am

NoisyBook wrote:In either case of Dwight stays or walks, we should try to trade Pau for draft picks... Developing own role players is gonna be the biggest chance to have a good team with flexible salary cap... We all know we are gonna have salary cap issue in 2014, if we don't trade Steve Nash or he doesn't want to retire...

Actually the opposite is true.

In 2014 we'll have only Nash/Howard officially on the books at a total of roughly 30 million. Kobe will probably re-sign for somewhere between 10-15 million. So we'll have somewhere around 15-20 million to sign somebody which is just about one max contract.

So in 2014 we'll field a team likely composed of: Nash/Bryant/Max FA/RolePlayerX/Howard.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby NoisyBook on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 am

I mean we are gonna pay 9 million for 40 yrs old. That's an issue.

Can we really land a MAX FA in current CBA besides Bryant/10-15mil/ and Howard /20million/?
If we have Nash then, I am sure we can't and he's gonna eat 9 million.
NoisyBook

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:48 am

Yes I am positive that we can.

The new Salary Cap in 2014 is estimated at around 60 million dollars.

With Nash- 9 million.
With Howard- 21 million.
With Kobe- 10-15 million.

That's 60- (9+21+(10-15)) = 20-15 million.

A max contract is roughly 20 million to start with. I'd think that Kobe will re-sign for the exact amount it'd be take to be sure we'll get a max contract because a max contract will get a great player. If Nash retires, we have even more space. But even if he doesn't, we'll be fine.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:55 am

therealdeal wrote:Yes I am positive that we can.

With Nash- 9 million.
With Howard- 21 million.

A max contract is roughly 20 million to start with. I'd think that Kobe will re-sign for the exact amount it'd be take to be sure we'll get a max contract because a max contract will get a great player. If Nash retires, we have even more space. But even if he doesn't, we'll be fine.

Unless Lebron opts out and wants to come here, there are no players in that 2014 class worth giving a max contract to. Carmelo? Melo plus Dwight means no Finals ever. Wade opts out? He's almost shot now, let alone another year of wear and tear. Bosh? He probably won't opt out cause no one is giving him a max contract the way he is disappearing. George and Wall will likely be locked up and they are restricted anyway. Do we offer a max deal to Rudy Gay?
Savory Griddles

Postby NoisyBook on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

Only 4 players will fill the salary cap. Then we will have only 20 million for the rest of the roster.

60 + 20*1.5 = 110 million. The owners won't spend more than 100 million as I see. We need to move Nash somehow.
NoisyBook

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Yes I am positive that we can.

With Nash- 9 million.
With Howard- 21 million.

Unless Lebron opts out and wants to come here, there are no players in that 2014 class worth giving a max contract to. Carmelo? Melo plus Dwight means no Finals ever. Wade opts out? He's almost shot now, let alone another year of wear and tear. Bosh? He probably won't opt out cause no one is giving him a max contract the way he is disappearing. George and Wall will likely be locked up and they are restricted anyway. Do we offer a max deal to Rudy Gay?

That's a discussion for another time Savory. I'm just trying (and apparently failing) to explain that we CAN sign someone to a max contract that year.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:09 am

NoisyBook wrote:Only 4 players will fill the salary cap. Then we will have only 20 million for the rest of the roster.

60 + 20*1.5 = 110 million. The owners won't spend more than 100 million as I see. We need to move Nash somehow.

I have no idea what numbers you're coming up with NoisyBook.

4 players will fill the salary cap? Yes. That's true.

Then the luxury taxes start at around 70-72 million. So we have the MLE to offer, some contracts to our existing role players like Jordan Hill and Earl Clark maybe. We have plenty of room before we're paying anywhere near 100 million.

We don't have to get rid of Nash. I don't know why you're trying so hard to get there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby NoisyBook on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:19 am

Oh, I thought the luxury taxes start at 60 million. As what you're saying, we can spend some money for a couple of good role players, who are gonna be supposed to be helping our stars to win championships...

I don't know much about the new CBA rule. A couple of MAX player + a 15 million player + 9 million player.
I thought we are gonna be in 2014 like how we've been this year. Spend all the money for the stars and no quality role players, just have a bunch of scrubs.
NoisyBook

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:22 am

We probably will. :man10:

But the difference is we should have two players in their primes instead of one who is coming off of back surgery.

To win in the NBA you really need one or two stars in their prime and playing like it. At least.

With us in 2014 we should have Dwight + Another Great young guy. Add in Nash and Kobe and that might be enough to win a title.

The key really is to add young talent while staying under the luxury tax for a year or two.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby NoisyBook on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:28 am

I wish we could move Gasol for draft picks
NoisyBook

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 am

We probably could, but there's better returns out there then draft picks.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kennygee90 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 am

I'd take Melo + Howard with old Kobe and Nash if we can get that..hopefully we can trade Pau for some draft picks or useful role players...I'd take Melo paired with Howard in a heartbeat, especially with Kobe still in the mix .
kennygee90

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion