Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Offseason Overhaul Discussion (who to keep / who to get?)

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:28 am

Over guys like Ebanks or Morris etc. I would have really loved us to give Terrence Williams a shot.

Incredible athlete with solid shooting and passing ability but a head case. I really still think the guy deserves a chance in a professional environment. he has incredible talent and I'm wondering why nobody is giving him a chance. The Lakers could really use an athlete from the bench. We have zero real athletes on the bench.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:34 am

KB24 wrote:Over guys like Ebanks or Morris etc. I would have really loved us to give Terrence Williams a shot.

Incredible athlete with solid shooting and passing ability but a head case. I really still think the guy deserves a chance in a professional environment. he has incredible talent and I'm wondering why nobody is giving him a chance. The Lakers could really use an athlete from the bench. We have zero real athletes on the bench.

I'm right there with you, I think he would a good addition on a team full of vets. with their heads on straight.

Personally, seeing as how the FO has pushed all their chips in the middle so to speak on the next 2-3 years, I would cut ties with all projects/rooks/young players on our team and go after players that can contribute now.

Glock/DJO/Sacre/Morris/Ebanks/Clark....... :wave:

Give me some vets. for the minimum right now over everyone above and worry about rebuilding when the time comes.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:42 am

Doc Brown wrote:
KB24 wrote:Over guys like Ebanks or Morris etc. I would have really loved us to give Terrence Williams a shot.

I'm right there with you, I think he would a good addition on a team full of vets. with their heads on straight.

Personally, seeing as how the FO has pushed all their chips in the middle so to speak on the next 2-3 years, I would cut ties with all projects/rooks/young players on our team and go after players that can contribute now.

Glock/DJO/Sacre/Morris/Ebanks/Clark....... :wave:

Give me some vets. for the minimum right now over everyone above and worry about rebuilding when the time comes.

I think youth has a place on our team. I'm totally fine with having some young guys like Devin on our team. He'll provide that young fire and that reckless kind of attitude which is good for a team. We're still fairly old and teams like Miami and OKC are going to try to run on us every play. It'll be important to have some younger guys that want to run too.

That being said, I like Williams on this squad instead of Ebanks.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:27 am

I think the FO is higher on Ron than we are.. They'll be fine with Ebanks as a backup.. While I agree, Terrance Williams would be a nice addition, the guys that are left now are all gambles.. The FA crop has already dried up.. With all of the main pieces in place, we should be able to get a couple of better FA's to ring chase next season..
lakersin4

Postby The Rock on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:30 am

XXIV wrote:
The Rock wrote:I think we'll go with 14 players, I wonder whos gonna get cut between DJO, Glock and Morris

1) Kobe
2) Howard
3) Nash
4) Gasol
5) MWP
6) Jamison
7) Meeks
8) Hill
9) Blake
10) Duhon
11) Sacre (with D-Howards issues we could use a big on this team)
12) Clark
13) Ebanks

14th spot will be between Morris, Glock and DJO

I'm pretty sure Morris is already on a guaranteed contract for this upcoming season.

he earns like 400k lol Im sure they can take the hit and just cut him to open up a roster spot

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:57 am

^ He earns 962,195 according to http://www.storytellerscontracts.com/

Not chump change really. I expect him to be on the team unfortunately. Here's what I expect:

Nash/Blake/Duhon/Morris
Bryant/Meeks
Artest/Ebanks
Gasol/Jamison/Clark
Howard/Hill/Sacre

If not Sacre, then a veteran, but Sacre will be far cheaper than any veteran we can find. I like Darius-Odom, but with Morris on a QO, Duhon coming with Dwight, and Meeks signing for a year I doubt he stays. I think the Lakers prefer to sign a big man instead and use Jamison as SF depth if need be. I'd like Odom to be signed over Goudelock if the Lakers go in that direction.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:11 pm

The Rock wrote:
XXIV wrote:
The Rock wrote:I think we'll go with 14 players, I wonder whos gonna get cut between DJO, Glock and Morris

1) Kobe
2) Howard
3) Nash
4) Gasol
5) MWP
6) Jamison
7) Meeks
8) Hill
9) Blake
10) Duhon
11) Sacre (with D-Howards issues we could use a big on this team)
12) Clark
13) Ebanks

14th spot will be between Morris, Glock and DJO

I'm pretty sure Morris is already on a guaranteed contract for this upcoming season.

he earns like 400k lol Im sure they can take the hit and just cut him to open up a roster spot

I highly doubt they'll cut him right after signing him. Sadly he's probably going to be on the team this season.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:58 pm

If we can keep Morris without cutting Glock Im all for it. Glock is the best 3 point shooter on this team after Nash, he can help us with spacing. We already have 3 PGs we dont need Morris, Im sure he'll develop into a sound player someday but not sure if it will be this year or next with Blake and Duhon ahead of him in the depth chart

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Goudelock is a huge defensive liability. A report came out not too long ago using advanced stats that claimed for every point he scores he gives up 3 or 4. That's not going to cut it.

He's a great shooter, but unless he's made HUGE strides as a defender and a passer, I don't think we'll see him this season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:53 pm

It's interesting that Ebanks hasn't signed his offer sheet yet. I wonder what is cooking there?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Doc Brown wrote:It's interesting that Ebanks hasn't signed his offer sheet yet. I wonder what is cooking there?

Perhaps the Lakers are close to signing a backup SF?
XXIV

Postby noobiew on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:07 am

Still can't believe we got Dwight & Nash, best offseason for the Lakers so far :bow:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:07 am

We are at 100 million in salary. Big ups to the FO for spending in this last run for Kobe. :bow: :bow:
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:33 am

^^^^ yep and around 190 millions in 2013-2014 with the new tax rates ... that's around 320 millions just for salaries for the next 2 seasons ... they go all out for the remaining of Kobe career
wcsoldier81

Postby KB24 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:58 am

Kobe should have accepted a paycut when he extended. He really should have, for the sake of competitiveness of this team

You cannot expect Buss to do revenue sharing and spend 200 mio. on salaries. Its a family company, they aren't billionaires. After that season we will get a 50 mio. salary reduction (Kobe and Gasol coming off the books and Blake too).

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Would love to have Barnes back for the vet minimum. He'd flourish playing with Nash and D12. Not sold on Ebanks being the backup to Metta.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Ariza3 wrote:I'm obviously extremely happy with the off season moves and our current team but entertain the idea:

After this coming season, CP3 will be a free agent. How insane would that be if we win the title this coming season, and somehow get CP3 to join the Lakers the following year. Imagine CP3 starting and Nash coming off the bench running the 2nd unit to perfection. CP3 would up the defense for the starters and set up Kobe,Pau, and Howard just as well as Nash. And then Nash would be able to set up Jaminson, Meeks, Ebanks, and Hill off the bench and prob be the 6MOY. It would be like our starting lineup is the Lakers and our bench unit is the Suns LOL.

Obviously not gunna happen, but it is crazy to think that it could happen...and winning the title this year could help CP3 decide. idk if Nash would come off the bench, and i obv wouldn't do that to him; im just thinking about the possibility of this happening bc it is actually possible if you think about our team, GM, and CP3 free agency. Our bench with Nash running it would be pretty tough to beat, let alone our starting lineup with the best PG in the league (no offense to the genius HOF that is Nash). CP3 will prob sign with the Clippers to a large contract but we have to think we could lose Dwight to the Clippers next year if CP3 recruits him and Dwight isn't happy with Kobe and the Lakers. I'm not thinking about who has how many years left on their contract, $, etc. but hypothetically, we keep the same roster but add CP3 to it, it could be even more impressive than now:

CP3/Nash
Kobe/Meeks
MWP/Ebanks
Pau/Jaminson
Howard/Hill

And if you're thinking about $...think about this. That would be a pretty expensive team but the Lakers will make prob around $150-$170 million this year if not more now that we have such an impressive starting lineup...and the way the new CBA has revenue sharing we might as well spend the money the Lakers make on ourselves as were gunna have to share it with the league anyways....selfish but its business.

IDK about CBA rules etc. so its obviously just a pipe dream, but it is a pretty cool thing to think about. CP3 and Howard carrying the Lakers once Kobe is gone.

dude you're just being greedy now and that scenario is beyond a pipe dream
khmrP

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:19 pm

So do you guys think we're done for the off-season? We still have $1.7 million to go out and buy someone.

We have a logjam at PG, but it's just a bunch of horrible point guards behind Nash. I'm also not that confident in Ebanks being the backup SF.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Not done but probably in no rush. I doubt many teams feel like dealing right now. If I'm Mitch I look at the remaining FA options. Pick the ones who would sign for the vet min and send out feelers. Whatever he can find go for it. Obviously there's not much left, but if I'm him I save my remaining mini-MLE for emergencies later.

I'd keep an eye on Barbosa and Martin. If I can sign one or both of them I do it first and ask questions later.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:30 pm

^

I agree with everything you said. I would love Barbosa or Martin on this team. We do have a lot of guards now, but let's be realistic -- they aren't very good, or they are simply not ready. Barbosa would solve this problem nicely, since he's a combo guard. He can score too and would be a perfect spark of the bench, not to mention that injury insurance is always good to have. Nash/Barbosa/Kobe/Blake/Meeks is a great rotation. This way we could reduce Nash's and Kobe's minutes too.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:48 pm

^^^If I had to choose between Martin or Barbosa for the last spot on the team, give me Barbosa. Barbosa would kick Blake out of the lineup while Martin would be added for depth purposes. Waive Glock and don't sign either of the rooks to do it. It would give us 14 players with a legit 10 man rotation.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^If I had to choose between Martin or Barbosa for the last spot on the team, give me Barbosa. Barbosa would kick Blake out of the lineup while Martin would be added for depth purposes. Waive Glock and don't sign either of the rooks to do it. It would give us 14 players with a legit 10 man rotation.

Nash/Barbosa/Blake/Duhon ?

That's a lot of cash for the 1 spot. I don't think any GM really wants to deal with Mitch, even if Mitch is literally giving away players, just because of the perception that he robbed the league. No one wants to be the next guy that's robbed by Mitch. That being said, I don't think anyone lets us trade them Blake for a future draft pick, even a protected 2nd rounder.

I agree with the idea, but I'd love to see what Mitch does about it. I doubt Barbosa would be willing to sign for limited minutes AND a minimum contract. Same might be said for Martin. I think McGrady might consider it since there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest in him. I think he'd be a nice 3rd string SF, maybe 2nd string if he pushes Ebanks.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 pm

If Barbosa & Martin can both be had for cheap, I don't see why they wouldn't just dump Blake & sign both. Get a better backup & add the final piece to the front court for less than the price of Blake. I'm sure if it was that easy, Mitch would have done it. Maybe even Portland doesn't want Blake now.
lakersin4

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Wouldn't trading Duhon+Glock (are they expiring contracts?) bag us something pretty considerable?
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:Wouldn't trading Duhon+Glock bag us something pretty considerable?

Probably not. I'd take a TPE and be completely fine with it to be honest. Maybe a team that needs to meet the minimum salary requirement might take them.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion