Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Popped c/b
D.B. Cooper

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:06 pm

is trhere anyone available at the guard spot that can stay in front of their man?

do we just bring up DJO to be this year's tyronn lue? we're still getting killed on the perimeter.

any cheap options available?
Pig Miller

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:14 pm

If Pau continues to play like he did today offensively, I don't think he'll be moved; although not great defensively in today's game, I think he brings too much too the table to this point for any package out there that has been mentioned.

Nonetheless, watching this team, we do have a glaring problem on the peremiter with opposing PG's & SG's that take our guards to school. We have a logjam at the 4/5 position. Hill, Gasol, Howard, Jamison, & Metta. Additionally our PG position has Nash, Duhon, Morris, & Blake when he gets back.

As much as I like Hill & and the way Duhon and Morris have played for the most part, I can see a package moved for another 3/4 wing and and another opposing defensive minded guard that can shoot. We need more speed, shooting, youth & athletiscism for this team. I know it's been said a thousand times; but it needs to be addressed going forward.

I think we can package something along the lines I mentioned and still retain Gasol. I really don't think this roster is staying the same going forward...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Pig Miller on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:02 am

^ i agree. the only guy i have any faith in to stay in front of their man is morris. and his game is limited overall that it's tough to keep him out there for too long.

the question is, who is available that fits the bill of being a decent defender and having any type of offensive game so that our offensive isn't hurt when he's in there.
Pig Miller

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:39 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:If Pau continues to play like he did today offensively, I don't think he'll be moved; although not great defensively in today's game, I think he brings too much too the table to this point for any package out there that has been mentioned.

Nonetheless, watching this team, we do have a glaring problem on the peremiter with opposing PG's & SG's that take our guards to school. We have a logjam at the 4/5 position. Hill, Gasol, Howard, Jamison, & Metta. Additionally our PG position has Nash, Duhon, Morris, & Blake when he gets back.

As much as I like Hill & and the way Duhon and Morris have played for the most part, I can see a package moved for another 3/4 wing and and another opposing defensive minded guard that can shoot. We need more speed, shooting, youth & athletiscism for this team. I know it's been said a thousand times; but it needs to be addressed going forward.

I think we can package something along the lines I mentioned and still retain Gasol. I really don't think this roster is staying the same going forward...

We're still waiting for this ... since May 8th 2011
wcsoldier81

Postby LooN3y on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:48 am

well, we should of kept our bench mob, and im not measuring talent, but we had chemistry and we were a well oiled machine.

honestly anyone thinking about shipping pau is on crack, you think a roster change is going to save us?

who wanted to move pau when we just acquired dwight and pau? and it should still be so, if a coach cant utilize this roster, its not the players problem, my god how any other respectable coach and respectable players would love to have our roster.

ryan anderson, kevin love, who ever you may think isnt going to win us a championship or guarantee that to us,

chemistry is the main key right now, not adding all new players, and WHY DO I KNOW? because look what the hell happened when we added nash and dwight.

let the players settle in. we have a damn team consisting of who? KOBE, DWIGHT, NASH, PAU, ARTEST, JAMISON.

are you kidding me? you think ryan anderson? love is a great player, but if you think hes going to solve problems your on crack. atleast while kobe is on the team, for a front court mate for dwight for the future of our franchise thats great, but thats not our goal right now,

RIGHT NOW WE"RE TRYING TO GET KOBE 7 RINGS
LooN3y

Postby sina on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 am

We still need at least an athletic wing
sina

Postby khmrP on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:24 am

at this point I'd cut Morris and sign Fisher, thats how much I hate Morris game :bang:
khmrP

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 am

we could use fisher's leadership to bring this team together more than morris' D. plus fisher was actually playing pretty well for dallas. idc about his D bc all of our guards suck on D. morris' D doesnt outweigh his terrible game offensively or taking care of the ball.

fisher brought together the last laker team that started off terrible and got them to a 50 win season. i think he could do it again for us. kobe's leadership after fish left isnt working nor will it ever. nash is great but we need something more. a champion vet who is respected by everyone...knows his role now at his age and just wants to win. will get everyone in the right mindset each game, keep the team calm and collected in tough spots, and i think really be the leader to balance out kobe and add to nash's leadership on the court for the bench

it wont happen at all, but it would be a great idea to bring him in either as a reserve/backup or on the staff.
Ariza3

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:28 pm

i really wish we kept CDR

CDR >>>>>>>>>>>>> ebanks or moris

I’m a firm believer in energy. I believe the energy you place in the atmosphere is the energy you’ll receive. This morning I felt some special energy. I’m not sure who it’s from or where it’s coming from, but it was so strong it woke me up this Christmas morning and made me jump on Tumblr. I hope this reaches the person(s) it’s intended for.

Those of you who know me, also know my story. However, I’ll give you a brief on the last couple of months and how I handled each situation. When I got back from Italy after the lockout year, I was a unrestricted free agent. Teams were afraid to sign me. Not because I lacked skill, but because I developed a reputation for having a bad attitude. Early in my career I was very immature. I handled a lot of situations the wrong way. I simply didn’t know how to be a professional, but it was never in a harmful way. I was just young. I owned it though. I took responsibility for my past. Because of that, I matured. I could’ve pointed the finger and used excuses as a crutch, but I didn’t. I knew I was an NBA player. I knew I belonged, but I also knew my road back was going to be rocky.

Last summer I woke up stressed out damn near every morning. Some days were better than others, but most were bad. I knew I had the game, but going into the last week before training camp, I was still without a team. Even through all the uncertainty, my faith still outweighed my fear. I continued to release positive energy into the atmosphere….then out of no where, the Lakers called. They wanted me to come in and earn a spot. Once I got that call, it was made up in my mind that I’d be a Laker. I knew I was going to go in there and showcase my talent. Which I did. The very first day I was 1 on 1 partners with Kobe. And we were going at it. **** talking…elbows were thrown. To my surprise, after that first practice Kobe went to media and spoke highly of me. Everyday I played well and practiced well. Kobe continued to mentor me along the way. The Laker fans embraced me. I just knew I was in. Then I got a call from Leon (my agent) saying they were going to let me go. They told me I played great. The numbers on the business side just wouldn’t work. It was one of the worst phone calls I’ve ever gotten, but I was at peace because I knew I played my *** off. I brought it every day. My motto is “control what you can control” and I did that. That didn’t matter though. Once it got released that the Lakers let me go, the people thought it was due to my game. People had jokes. People wrote me off. It was embarrassing. However, I took positives away from my month with the Lakers too. I developed a relationship with Kobe Bryant. He showed me how to be a pro. He showed me real work ethic. Playing against him everyday made me so much of a better player. He understood me. He understood that its a difference in having a bad attitude and being competitive and wanting to win every drill/game. One night after a game and we were in the showers and he told me “you have no other choice. You were put here to be basketball player. You have to fight until you’re one of them boys. You’re too talented. I played behind mfers that I was better than up until my third year but I KNEW I would be who I am today then. I work too hard not to break through.” That stuck with me. So I appreciate the opportunity the Lakers gave me. I looked at that month with the Lakers as an internship under Bean. I gained knowledge that I couldn’t have gotten any other way. That’s what I took from that situation. It’s all about how you respond when times are rough.

At this point, I had two avenues to take. Go to the D-League, or go overseas. My heart and my dreams were in the NBA. Even though I never thought I’d ever play in the D-League, I felt that was the fastest way back to the NBA. This is where my faith had to outweigh my fear. I turned down seven figures overseas to follow my heart. When your passionate about your craft, the money doesn’t matter. I humbled myself and signed with the Dallas Mavericks D-League affiliate. Instead of complaining about not being in the NBA. I made up in my mind that I was going to be the best player in the D-League. Vowed not to take a day off. I was on a mission. The first game I scored 50 points. I wanted to dominate the competition. I wanted to erase all doubts. Every game I wanted to destroy the competition. Every game I came in with a killer mindset. I played 10 games in the D-League with that singular focus and just like that, I was back where I belonged. I signed with the Dallas Mavericks three days ago. I’m so proud to be a part of Mavs nation.

All that to say, I know it’s a cliché, but don’t ever give up. The fight is only over if you make up in your mind that it’s over. Your mind and your heart knows what your soul yearns for. You never know how close you are to breaking through at the moment you give up. You can be right there. Your confidence and faith has to be stronger than your fear and uncertainty. Every success story has failure along the way. Every great man or women has failed at least one time on their journey to greatness. It’s a part of the journey. Every time you fail, it’s a lesson that you’re suppose to take from it. It’s on you though. An excuse is your worst enemy. Excuses are used by incompetent people. Take control of your life. When **** is going terribly, you always have two choices: 1. pity yourself and blame others or 2. find the POSITIVE lesson from it and thug it out until you reach your ultimate goal.

LOVE

CDR

http://humble-flashy.tumblr.com/post/38806787959/im-a-firm-believer-in-energy-i-believe-the
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby The Rock on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:44 pm

yes please

tttps://twitter.com/HowardBeckNYT/status/285243215467126784
Josh Childress was waived at his own request. He didn't see a role here and asked Billy King for his release before the game tonight.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:58 pm

No thanks. Childress is pure garbage. Ever since his return to the NBA he's been pretty damn bad.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Seconded. Childress is just awful now.
Frank Dux

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:03 pm

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
James Anderson to sign a three-year deal with Houston according to @Jonathan_Feigen, Daequan Cook likely to be the player cut.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Cook could fit well here, can hit the 3 and isn't a bad defender.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Matt Barnes #3 in the league in the +/- category only behind Kevin Durant (#1) and Jamal Crawford (#2). CP3 is #5 and Blake Griffin #7.
Ariza3

Postby King of Clutch on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
James Anderson to sign a three-year deal with Houston according to @Jonathan_Feigen, Daequan Cook likely to be the player cut.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Cook could fit well here, can hit the 3 and isn't a bad defender.

yes now I would want cook.
King of Clutch

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I'd take Cook in a hearbeat! His #'s are down, but he's got youth and athleticism. Cook>>>Duhon
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Greatest of All Time on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:08 pm

Another team would probably grab Cook off waivers before the Lakers would be allowed to claim him.
Greatest of All Time

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:46 am

Eh maybe Cook...

I'm still waiting for an athletic wing to become available. Just anybody will do at the backup 3 spot that WANTS to play. Ebanks has all the tools and none of the mentality. All of that silly talk about Ariza coming back sounds nicer in my head every time I think about it. It's dumb and it won't happen, but we just need a gosh darn body at the backup 3 that can give us consistent minutes/energy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Greatest of All Time on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:Eh maybe Cook...

I'm still waiting for an athletic wing to become available. Just anybody will do at the backup 3 spot that WANTS to play. Ebanks has all the tools and none of the mentality. All of that silly talk about Ariza coming back sounds nicer in my head every time I think about it. It's dumb and it won't happen, but we just need a gosh darn body at the backup 3 that can give us consistent minutes/energy.

Ariza might not be feasible but the Wizards have a logjam at the small forward spot with guys like Ariza, Martell Webster, Chris Singleton, Cartier Martin. There were reports that the Wizards turned down a Harden trade because they didn't want to pay the luxury tax so if they're being cost conscious, maybe they'd let one of those guys go for expirings/picks.

Mitch turned Walton, Kapono and a 2012 first round pick into Sessions. Then he turned Fisher and the Dallas pick from the Odom trade into Jordan Hill.

Ariza would be an ideal choice but Chris Singleton also looks like the type of player Mitch likes to trade for (Young veteran in a bad situation). I don't think they have the first round picks to make it work, unless the a team accepts a 2019 pick or something, but I believe the Lakers have their own 2013 second round pick as well as a top 55 protected pick from the Nuggets. It's not much but Mitch has shown the ability to turn other teams' salary dumps into gold. There has to be a team out there that just wants to dump salary. The Clippers got Nick Young for Brian Cook's expiring and a second round pick last year.

Edit: Actually they don't have a 2013 second round pick either. I think the earliest pick they can trade is a 2016 second rounder.
Greatest of All Time

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:45 pm

if were developing morris i think we should have done the same for glock. kid has a lot of promise as a scorer off the bench and we should have worked to develop his game and D. He could have been great with dantoni if we found minutes for him. hes better on our bench than ebanks im sure.

Ariza3

Postby ThizGuy83 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:20 pm

i was just thinking of this.. lets say kobe retires after his contract is up and steve nash decides to retire same year as kobe... just saying... lakers obviously wanna keep dwight howard... but do u guys think management would try to get kyrie irving and lebron james? just a thought... is that a realistic possibility?
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:36 pm

i think it's time to sell on gasol, and believe me, i've been wanting to hang on to him.

even if we get lesser value, i think we have to do it in order to get 1) smaller more flexible contracts 2) get either duhon or blake off our books 3) get guys that are hungry 4) get quicker in key positions and 5) maybe get a draft pick in return so we can make future deals
Pig Miller

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:13 am

and people think Meeks is streaky, Cook will make him look Ray Allen-esque :man10:
khmrP

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 pm

I know it's just the D-League, but I just found out that DJO is killing it down there. He's the 8th leading scorer, but of the players above him, most have only played a few games. 21 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 1.5 steals, 44% from the field, 40% from threes. I doubt it happens, but at this point I'd be willing to give him a look. If by some chance he pans out, I'd like a line-up like this:

Nash / Duhon / Blake
Meeks / Johnson-Odom / Morris
Bryant / World Peace / Ebanks
Hill / Jamison
Howard / Gasol

Well regardless of DJO, I want to see a starting line-up of Nash, Meeks, Kobe, Hill, and Dwight. It gives us even more holes on the bench, but those could be filled by a Pau trade.
Helljumper

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion