Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Center Court on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:38 am

I like the idea of Cousins if Dwight has to be traded. If he get's his ish together, he can be the best center.

Horford, Harris to Sacramento
Dwight, Meeks, Duhon to ATL
Cousins, Korver Brooks, Thorton to LA

Cousins.Sacre.Hill
Gasol.Clark.Jamison
MWP.Korver.Ebanks
Kobe.Thorton.Morris
Nash.Brooks.Blake
Center Court

Postby SmoothOperator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:46 am

How about this trade? I actually believe if Mitch called the Spurs, they would take this deal in a heartbeat....

Pau to San Antonio for...
Matt Bonner, Boris Diaw, and Stephen Jackson (expiring contract).

If management is committing to D'Antoni over any other player, it sounds like we don't really need either Dwight or Pau. We just need big men that can shoot threes....... enter Matt Bonner and Boris Diaw (a D'Antoni favorite). Jackson acts as a expiring contract to make the salaries match.

Having said that, and and again, since we aren't going to use either Pau or Dwight to their strengths, we might as well trade Dwight to Dallas. Cuban would be all over this...

Dwight for Marion (A D'Antoni favorite), Darren Collison (your backup pg), and Chris Kaman (expiring K).

Cut Ebanks, Sacre, and Morris to make roster space.

The Lakers roster would look something like...

Nash/Collison/Duhon/
Kobe/Meeks/
Artest/Jackson/Clark
Marion/Bonner/Jamison
Kaman/Diaw/Hill (injured)

PERFECT PIECES FOR 7 SECONDS OR LESS D'ANTONI BALL. No more excuses.
Last edited by SmoothOperator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
SmoothOperator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 am

^ That's awful.

As for the Cousins idea: we already have enough problems with Howard and Gasol's maturity and professionalism right now. Let's get maybe the one kid out there who's worse. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SmoothOperator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 am

^ I know it's disgusting. I'm being extremely passive aggressive at my anger towards D'Antoni and his inability to utilize our current talent to the best of their abilities. :man5:
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
SmoothOperator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:11 am

SmoothOperator wrote:^ I know it's disgusting. I'm being extremely passive aggressive at my anger towards D'Antoni and his inability to utilize our current talent to the best of their abilities. :man5:

Yeah well I'm disgusted that our team isn't playing to the best of their abilities... bad coach or not you can't give the God awful "efforts" they've been giving.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 am

therealdeal wrote:^ That's awful.

As for the Cousins idea: we already have enough problems with Howard and Gasol's maturity and professionalism right now. Let's get maybe the one kid out there who's worse. :man10:

I agree that we want to get people in here serious about playing and winning bball, not whining, but Cousins is easily the best big man "prospect" in the game. I think a franchise like the Lakers with Kobe and Nash would do wonders.

Cousins is immature. Dwight feels entitled.
Center Court

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 am

^ agree. Cousins is younger too, and I like his post game. Unlike Dwight he has a jumper to let Gasol work in the post. Our shot blocking would be bad but Cousins is a good defender. Heck,

Cousins
Hill Clark
MWP
Kobe
Nash Brooks

heck just trade Gasol for a decent wing and I would take it. Heck, if in my proposal if We landed Josh Smith and Cousins I would like that frontline alot better with Kobe still here.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 am

Part of effort stems from whether you respect the coach or not. If you don't give a flying f about the coach, his system, or what he says, some times you get results like these - half [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] effort on the court.

It's been a long time, been beaten to death, etc. but I don't ever remember seeing these types of efforts under PJ.

therealdeal wrote:
SmoothOperator wrote:^ I know it's disgusting. I'm being extremely passive aggressive at my anger towards D'Antoni and his inability to utilize our current talent to the best of their abilities. :man5:

Yeah well I'm disgusted that our team isn't playing to the best of their abilities... bad coach or not you can't give the God awful "efforts" they've been giving.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:27 am

Center Court wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ That's awful.

I agree that we want to get people in here serious about playing and winning bball, not whining, but Cousins is easily the best big man "prospect" in the game. I think a franchise like the Lakers with Kobe and Nash would do wonders.

Cousins is immature. Dwight feels entitled.

If our franchise couldn't do wonders to help change the immaturity of Dwight Howard, Cousins isn't going to respond a whole lot better.

And yes Dwight is immature. Entitlement is just another term under the umbrella of immaturity. Walking around a locker room holding up stat sheets and whispering behind people's backs is immaturity.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:30 am

charvin wrote:Part of effort stems from whether you respect the coach or not. If you don't give a flying f about the coach, his system, or what he says, some times you get results like these - half [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] effort on the court.

It's been a long time, been beaten to death, etc. but I don't ever remember seeing these types of efforts under PJ.

Did you miss the 2011 playoffs with Pau?

And I don't care who you're being coached by, if you're a professional getting paid multi millions of dollars then you give SOME effort. Pau and Dwight are giving nothing.

If a guy like Clark or a guy like Hill or a guy like Meeks can come in and pull their boot straps tight, then stars like Dwight and Pau can too. Regardless of their coach.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 am

I'd like to argue against that point, but too many unknown variables can be in play. Did Pau not give a crap about a 4th consecutive trip to the finals, burn out from the team, Mavs shooting lights out (I watched almost every game from that series and it just seemed like they could not miss their 3 point shots), etc.

To be fair, for players like Clark and Hill, I am inclined (just my theory) to believe that they give it their all because they are the ones who don't get paid anywhere close to an 8 figure sum of money. Both were sitting on the bench doing nothing, until both get called upon (one from out of the blue - Hill, the other out of injuries to the bigs - Clark) to play. They still need to make a living, and what better to show the coach that you're worth deserving playing time (which may or may not lead to a good contract down the road) than effort?

A similar example of effort vs making money is just in every day life. A fair amount of people go to work and put in the least amount of effort in their jobs. Why? Because they don't have a better alternative or because they just want to come in and collect their pay and have no interest in their current job for whatever reason. Example: If I don't like my employer (say he's the coach), I'm not going to give my best effort (giving no effort) and bust my balls working for someone who I don't give a crap about; I'm going to try the least hardest until I can find a better situation (change of situation/CEO, etc).

By no means are any of the above facts, I'm just stating what I've learned, see, and/or believe.

therealdeal wrote:
charvin wrote:Part of effort stems from whether you respect the coach or not. If you don't give a flying f about the coach, his system, or what he says, some times you get results like these - half [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] effort on the court.

Did you miss the 2011 playoffs with Pau?

And I don't care who you're being coached by, if you're a professional getting paid multi millions of dollars then you give SOME effort. Pau and Dwight are giving nothing.

If a guy like Clark or a guy like Hill or a guy like Meeks can come in and pull their boot straps tight, then stars like Dwight and Pau can too. Regardless of their coach.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am

Those people that go to work and don't do AT LEAST a good enough job deserve to be fired immediately because there are literally thousands who'd kill for some work right now.

Same in the NBA. If you're not going to come to work for the Lakers and AT LEAST make the playoffs, you deserve to be traded or waived. End of story.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:23 am

why are most of trade suggestions proposing dwight...it should be gasol...
i would kill somebody if next year dwight is gone and pau is still here...
we need to trade him for few solid players who could realy contribute,or if there is some fool to trade us borderline allstar young athletic SF or PF like gay or j.smith...
escobar8

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 am

Because ESPN says Dwight might be traded by the Lakers :man10: :man10: :man10: was it the idiot Stein?
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 am

escobar8 wrote:why are most of trade suggestions proposing dwight...it should be gasol...
i would kill somebody if next year dwight is gone and pau is still here...
we need to trade him for few solid players who could realy contribute,or if there is some fool to trade us borderline allstar young athletic SF or PF like gay or j.smith...

Obviously.

But other teams are FAR more interested in Dwight than Pau. Need to try to be realistic.
phoenixrisingla

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:00 pm

I understand your point and what you're saying, but with these players it's a little problematic to do so. Howard, Gasol, et al. are "star players" and with that title, they are "entitled" (not taking a stance here) to some leeway as to the amount of effort they put in compared to an ordinary player like Meeks/Duhon. They put in just the "right amount" of effort to go through the motions, but mostly not enough to warrant a waive/trade.

You would be correct about Gasol, because one can be forgiven if you have a bad day, week, or even a month, but to not recover after an entire year just means that your usefulness has pretty much completely diminished for this team/organization.

therealdeal wrote:Those people that go to work and don't do AT LEAST a good enough job deserve to be fired immediately because there are literally thousands who'd kill for some work right now.

Same in the NBA. If you're not going to come to work for the Lakers and AT LEAST make the playoffs, you deserve to be traded or waived. End of story.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 pm

I know obviously that the world is more complicated than the way I put it, but it's the basis for what needs to be done.

We showed Gasol a little loyalty after the botched trade job and that was alright. We're giving Howard a nice long leash because we're trying to make him part of our future, I understand that too.

But the two together are intolerable. The consistent lack of effort is unforgiveable and SOMETHING needs to be done. It's a slap in the face to us as fans and it's a slap in the face to Dr. Buss and the Buss family sine THEY are the ones paying these players. If a regular joe schmoe in the office (aka me) wasn't even doing a satisfactory job, I'd be fired without hesitation. The same standards should be shown to these players.

If they cannot even TRY for us and for the Buss family, they need to made to show respect. If you're still dedicated to Howard, fine, but that means showing Gasol the door immediately.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 pm

thoughts on using Hill medical exempt and try to get O'neal from Pho? I read he's been having issues with his PT in Pho and last 2 gms he's been held out due to "heart condition" but I think its more the fact he got into a shouting match with the GM cause new coaching staff wanted to reduce his role.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Ahhh!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21614044/postups-whether-dealing-gasol-howard-or-standing-pat-lakers-in-bind

Toronto is perhaps the most realistic landing spot for Gasol, given the uncertainty in the organization about whether Andrea Bargnani will ever develop into a star there. Bargnani wouldn't have to be a star in LA. He would simply have to stand at the 3-point line and make shots, a La Howard's former teammate in Orlando, Ryan Anderson. Toronto also has a point-guard problem to solve. And while Jose Calderon has frequently been mentioned as trade bait, league sources say the Raptors are far more amenable to trading Kyle Lowry, who has not made many friends in his new surroundings. The Raptors gave up a sure lottery pick for him (which Houston subsequently sent to Oklahoma City in the James Harden trade), so Gasol might be a way to salvage that transaction. Plus, with the new CBA taking effect and shortening teams' windows for winning, a team like Toronto might feel better about committing 1½ seasons to Gasol than using its cap room this summer to sign a lesser player for four years.

I think Toronto would love to unload Fields (Since they have Derozan, Alan Anderson Terrance Ross) and Amir Johnson (Fat contract but they have Valanciunas, Ed Davis and now Pau to shore up PF/C). Duhon's contract is only partially guaranteed

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aqmvssq

Do it Mitch?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:49 pm

^ We'd have to cut 2 players in order for that trade to happen.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 pm

^ Morris and Ebanks. Done. Blake is coming back and we have enough SF's already

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 pm

As much as I would love for those two to be cut, I just don't see it happening. If they do move Pau or Dwight they will try and combine them with as many scrubs as they can.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm

^ I think Ebanks and Morris have a no trade clause so if they could agree to it sure we could sent them to Toronto

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Something a teensy bit less ambitious:

Gasol/Duhon for Lowry/Johnson/Kleiza/Gray

The Lakers get the perimeter assistance they really need, a suitable athletic Power Forward for our bench, some more able bench players in Gray and Kleiza.

We waive Ebanks and Morris or send them along too if they'll go. I like Morris the guy, but Morris the player is garbage.

Toronto gets a really solid Center to pair with their stretch 4 and they get a guy who can potentially convince Calderon to stay. They'll sell some tickets.

Nash/Lowry/Blake
Bryant/Meeks
Artest/Jamison/Kleiza
Clark/Johnson
Howard/Gray/Sacre

IR: Jordan Hill
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:25 am

The Rock wrote:Ahhh!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21614044/postups-whether-dealing-gasol-howard-or-standing-pat-lakers-in-bind

Toronto is perhaps the most realistic landing spot for Gasol, given the uncertainty in the organization about whether Andrea Bargnani will ever develop into a star there. Bargnani wouldn't have to be a star in LA. He would simply have to stand at the 3-point line and make shots, a La Howard's former teammate in Orlando, Ryan Anderson. Toronto also has a point-guard problem to solve. And while Jose Calderon has frequently been mentioned as trade bait, league sources say the Raptors are far more amenable to trading Kyle Lowry, who has not made many friends in his new surroundings. The Raptors gave up a sure lottery pick for him (which Houston subsequently sent to Oklahoma City in the James Harden trade), so Gasol might be a way to salvage that transaction. Plus, with the new CBA taking effect and shortening teams' windows for winning, a team like Toronto might feel better about committing 1½ seasons to Gasol than using its cap room this summer to sign a lesser player for four years.

I think Toronto would love to unload Fields (Since they have Derozan, Alan Anderson Terrance Ross) and Amir Johnson (Fat contract but they have Valanciunas, Ed Davis and now Pau to shore up PF/C). Duhon's contract is only partially guaranteed

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aqmvssq

Do it Mitch?

This is the deal right here. It gives up a backup PG; that is a need that is so sorely needed right now. Also, gives us more youth, speed, & athleticism at the SF, spot, and we get an athletic PF back. I like it. None of the contracts go beyond 2014. Sign me up...
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion