Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 am

I'd do that trade but take out Lucas and Kleiza and add in Gray.

Pau/Duhon/Ebanks for Lowry/Fields/Johnson/Gray. It makes our team more balanced.

Nash/Lowry
Kobe/Meeks
MWP/Fields
Clark/Johnson
D12/Gray

Lowry and Fields can add in the offense we would miss with Pau and Johnson/Gray provide an upgrade on defense.

I actually really like that trade. Our bench becomes worlds better than before, we get a legit starting PG as a backup and Fields/Johnson do nothing but upgrade our defense. Add in Gray the bruiser.
Last edited by Doc Brown on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Toronto is not giving us Lowry. It's Bargs and Calderon, and neither of those guys solve our problems.

As I said weeks ago - people around here want lowry gone, and he wants to be gone.

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I agree that bargs is soft and not a good rebounder. Disagree about lowry. All we hear around here is that he is unhappy and won't stay - starter or not. Wants to be back in US in a warm climate.

As for minny - ok. But they need bodies. If they trade Pek while injured they lose the 10-day sign option. So we would send them 2 of Morris, Ebanks, Meeks, Duhon, Clark or Sacre with Gasol. Think Kahn would want Gasol and either Clark or Jamison? Why don't they just sign Martin?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/raptors-would ... -calderon/

Kyle would give us exactly what we need - a young, fast, playmaker to back up Nash, spark the bench, and who can defend decently. Jut have to find a place for Bargs. But I would love to add Lowry and see how we work with him and Kobe creating for themselves and others.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:04 am

The Lakers want no part of Bargnani's contract though. Having him stuck here at 10 million for that 2014/2015 season is going to ruin their rebuild plan. I don't know that they'd value Lowry enough to ruin that.

And if we were willing to take that contract, we'd expect Toronto to give us Calderon's expiring I'm sure.

Same goes with Fields. That 3rd year is a killer. The only reason I think Amir works in any of these trades is because his 3rd year isn't fully guaranteed.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:32 am

Raps are not trading Lowry to Lakers without packaging Bargs.

Wouldn't Gasol's trade kicker require a little more - so we can send Ebanks or Morris, if willing?

Then again, I can't see any player agreeing to be sent to Toronto, another country with frigid weather, even for a little more playing time.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 am

Well, I think we can get from Bargs what we get from Gasol, mostly, and without any pouting or media shots or drama. And I guess we would have to gamble that Bargs can look good playing with Dwight (they should fit well together and Bargs could be the second option with our bench guys and look a little better that way too) so that we can trade him next year at the deadline for an expiring so that the plan is in place.

I honestly think that Lowry is worth the gamble -- we are seeing that Nash has declined and overwhelmed often by other team's starting PGs, speed, and traps (Blake will have the same issues and more0. limiting Nash's minutes and giving him some run during second unit time would do wonders for him -- reduce the pressure on him, allow him to focus on scoring more, and conserve his energy for his defensive efforts (A for effort).

So Duhon has to go - which Toronto will take because of his Team-friendly contract. Again (as I was saying a couple of weeks ago), we could add Martin for big man depth. And during certain mintues -- early second quarter against other team's back ups, we can go small with Lowry at PG and Nash at SG (like GS does with Curry and Jack or Den does with Lawson and Miller).

Nash, Lowry, Blake
Kobe, Meeks, Morris
Ron, Ebanks, Jamison
Clark, Bargs, Martin
Dwight, Martin, Sacre

Again, with Lowry, Kobe, Ron, Clark, and Dwight closing for defensive purposes.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Balance&Options24 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 am

Is Josh Smith a max player?

This is all that matters right now about Smith, specifically regarding his tenuous future with the Hawks: His contract is expiring and his asking price for a new one is going to be high. It's going to hit the ceiling. It's why his days in Atlanta may be numbered. “I feel like I’m a max player,” Smith said Friday. And yes, that is the first time he has said that. “I feel I bring a lot to the table. I have a lot of versatility. For what I do and what I give this ball club, I feel like I’m worth it.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby karacha on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 am

No, he is not. He should be paid a lot of money, but not the max. Just my opinion, of course.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a2rfzmd

Send the Magic some a bundle of draft picks from Boston/Memphis and assist with their rebuild project.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 am

Smith has already negotioted the process I see...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby The Rock on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 am

If we were to make a deal with them I dont think we'd take Bargnani. Raptors might as well keep him and then amnesty him.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 am

Balance&Options24 wrote:Is Josh Smith a max player?

This is all that matters right now about Smith, specifically regarding his tenuous future with the Hawks: His contract is expiring and his asking price for a new one is going to be high. It's going to hit the ceiling. It's why his days in Atlanta may be numbered. “I feel like I’m a max player,” Smith said Friday. And yes, that is the first time he has said that. “I feel I bring a lot to the table. I have a lot of versatility. For what I do and what I give this ball club, I feel like I’m worth it.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

He plays like a max player on half the nights. I'll say that. He still has some inconsistency issues. His game is a little flawed, he doesnt shoot the J very well and he doesnt post up very well. His value kind of like Dwight is on the defensive end, and also able to run the fastbreak. Above average passer for his position. Hes a more athletic version of Lamar who plays better defense

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Doc Brown wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a2rfzmd

Send the Magic some a bundle of draft picks from Boston/Memphis and assist with their rebuild project.

The Holy Grail of Yes! :jam2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby borri on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 pm

One thing for sure about Josh Smith in P&G....our D would get exponentially better.
borri

Cavaliers Could Trade Gibson, Casspi and Speights Before Dea

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:21 pm

[size=150]Cavaliers Could Trade Gibson, Casspi and Speights Before Deadline[/size]

By Marc Stein

The Cleveland Cavaliers are already receiving trade interest from other teams in Marreese Speights.

Speights was acquired last week in a trade with the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Cavaliers have $12 million in expiring contracts.

Daniel Gibson and Omri Casspi are also candidates to be traded by the Cavaliers.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page ... saying-now
Kobe8Fan

Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Sources: Raptors Would Prefer To Trade Lowry Over Calderon

By Ken Berger

The Toronto Raptors would prefer to trade Kyle Lowry over Jose Calderon, according to league sources.

Lowry was acquired last offseason from the Houston Rockets in exchange for Gary Forbes and a future first-round lottery pick.

Lowry is averaging 13.8 points and 5.8 assists in 27.7 minutes behind Calderon.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2161 ... rs-in-bind
Kobe8Fan

Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick[/size][/b]

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Hearing Celts, even before season-worst 7-for-32 shooting from 15+ feet in NYK loss, have ramped up their interest in Magic's J.J. Redick

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Size obviously Celts' priority if they do deal before Feb. 21 trade deadline but word is they hope to work way into Redick mix if they can

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 1886623745
Kobe8Fan

Andre Iguodala Hoping To Stay With Nuggets Long-Term

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Andre Iguodala Hoping To Stay With Nuggets Long-Term

By Christopher Dempsey
The Denver Post

It’s halfway through the season and it looks like things are crystallizing in Nuggets’ guard Andre Iguodala’s head concerning his opt-out decision at the end of the season.

Though he did not say it specifically it appears he’s leaning toward staying with the Nuggets long term, but here’s how: By opting out of his current contract, which would pay him roughly $16.2 million next season and signing a new, multiyear deal – even if the annual value of the contract comes out to be less than what he’s making now and scheduled to make next season.

“A lot of players have done it where they’ve gave up a large bulk of their contract, say, giving up $16 million to get $60 million,” said Iguodala, who turns 29 years old on Monday. “In the grand scheme of things that makes sense. But if you give up $16 million and you get $20 million (it doesn’t make sense). So it’s all about playing your cards right and seeing where you’re at. At the end of the day winning takes care of everything, so if we win here, then hopefully the organization and myself will come to an agreement and we’ll continue to build on what we have here.”

A player opting out of a lucrative final year isn’t unprecedented. In fact, the Nuggets recently went through just such a scenario when Nene opted out of his following the 2011 season, forgoing a final year worth $12 million. Now, Nene was able to parlay his unrestricted free agent status into getting a contract worth $13 million per year, so it was a net gain for him.

It’s unlikely Iguodala would make more annually than the $16.2 million he’d pass up, but his contract would probably not be anything smaller than Ty Lawson’s contract extension, which starting next season pays him an average of $12 million annually. And the savings of a new contract worth less per year would help the Nuggets, who could be up against the luxury tax threshold next season and would need to find some economic breathing room.

Iguodala’s contract status is one of the season’s biggest storylines for the Nuggets, and it will spill over into the summer. But increasingly it looks like the Nuggets are taking center stage in his mind.

“It’s not as hard as it seems,” Iguodala said. “It’s basically just weighing your options, seeing who has interest in you, or making a guesstimate on who has interest in you or what your value is at the current time. That’s pretty much it.”

Follow Chris Dempsey on Twitter @dempseypost or email him at cdempsey@denverpost.com

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/201 ... ngs+Nugget
Kobe8Fan

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 pm

I wouldn't mind Lowry. He'd be perfect as the backup PG. The problem with Toronto is what others have already noted; they want to get rid of Bargnani's contract. Backup PG is one of the most pressing needs on this Lakers team right behind a young, athletic, SF.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Vlade_12 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Ebanks is a bum. I still would like to add another wing

Terrence Williams can come back from China in a month. Another talented former lottery pick, who just hasn't found his role. He's a good defense player and still young, and has grown up. I think he would be a nice back up small forward.

Another guy is Donte Green: Kings are horrible are developing talent
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 pm

^ I was interested in signing Williams over the offseason, hopefully we can cut Ebanks and sign him. Any sort of athleticism at SF would be of great help.
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 pm

^^^ I've always liked TWill. He can play Point Forward and would be nice for the 2nd unit, so Blake/Duhon can just spot up and shoot, which might be the only thing they are good at.
Doc Brown

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

XXIV wrote:^ I was interested in signing Williams over the offseason, hopefully we can cut Ebanks and sign him. Any sort of athleticism at SF would be of great help.

T-Will won't be available until March.
Kobe8Fan

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 pm

^ I know, I was just saying I wouldn't mind having him on this team once he becomes available.
XXIV

Postby Vlade_12 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ I've always liked TWill. He can play Point Forward and would be nice for the 2nd unit, so Blake/Duhon can just spot up and shoot, which might be the only thing they are good at.

I agree. Do u think March is enough time for him to fit in?
We still have a 15th spot open
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Vlade_12 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:^^^ I've always liked TWill. He can play Point Forward and would be nice for the 2nd unit, so Blake/Duhon can just spot up and shoot, which might be the only thing they are good at.

I agree. Do u think March is enough time for him to fit in?
We still have a 15th spot open

Yes. Our 2nd unit doesn't run anything spectacular or hard, so it would be a matter of teammate chemistry. I think it can work.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion