Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Magic on ESPN hinted Pau for JSmith

Postby dj vitus on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Jordan-esque wrote:Can Smith hit them 15 footers?

IIRC, Pau shoots a decently higher percentage from the outside than Smoove. I've been using NBA Hotspots (yeah little old) but it can get the point across if their stats haven't changed too much. Too bad the website has been loading slower and slower lately. :man5:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 pm

What MDA could do with Delonte/Pietrus off the bench. :man6:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm sure people know by now...Josh Howard to Minny, Will Conroy got the cut.
Shaun Livingston to Washington, Jannero Pargo gets the cut.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 pm

We're still a ways away from this being even possible, but Kyrie is soooo Hollywood.

:man10:

Do it Mit..uh..future Lakers GM!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:We're still a ways away from this being even possible, but Kyrie is soooo Hollywood.

:man10:

Do it Mit..uh..future Lakers GM!

I LOVED this commercial when I saw it. Great commercial. Great break from those lebron commercials. Come to think about it, what is it even about? lbj eating breakfast and getting a haircut? lol seemed like a pr stunt.
King of Clutch

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:26 am

that was awesome! in a few years come to hollywood and join dwight:jam2:
Ariza3

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Pau for Smith...probably not happening via ESPN:

Sources say that the Hawks, at present, have no interest in parting with Josh Smith and Kyle Korver for Gasol. Or even Smith and lesser parts for Gasol.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Big shocker, Pau's value probably isn't at an all time low, but it has to be pretty close.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Positions can obviously change between now and the Feb. 21 trade deadline, but sources maintain that Atlanta has not been enticed in the least by the prospect of parting with the 26-year-old Smith -- even as he heads into unrestricted free agency -- for the 32-year-old Gasol. The Hawks, for the record, have also been telling interested teams that they value Smith and what he offers as a hybrid forward in an Eastern Conference that's generally been getting smaller.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Also in other news Pietrus wants the mini-MLE amount of 2.5M.

Recall that Meeks was signed with part of our mini-MLE (1.5M). So unless Pietrus reduces his asking price, we can't get him.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Also in other news Pietrus wants the mini-MLE amount of 2.5M.

Recall that Meeks was signed with part of our mini-MLE (1.5M). So unless Pietrus reduces his asking price, we can't get him.

The only way he gets that amount is if he signs with a non contender.
XXIV

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:05 pm

lakerswiz wrote:It doesn't matter what the Hawks want.

Josh Smith is a free agent at the end of this season. Wherever Josh wants to go - he will go.

If we get Josh Smith - sign and trade in the offseason for Pau or they do it at the break and we have to hope we can keep Smithy poo and Dwight come offseason.

Lakers can't do S&T due anymore due to their cap situation
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:13 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:It doesn't matter what the Hawks want.

Josh Smith is a free agent at the end of this season. Wherever Josh wants to go - he will go.

If we get Josh Smith - sign and trade in the offseason for Pau or they do it at the break and we have to hope we can keep Smithy poo and Dwight come offseason.

Lakers can't do S&T due anymore due to their cap situation

? Atlanta can't sign Josh Smith and trade him to us for Pau?

that depends what you mean, if you mean sign and trade him for Pau immmediately then NO....I dont know the time period but there would have to be some sort of time frame from the time the contract is signed till they can trade Smith.
khmrP

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:16 pm

^^^You're partially right, khmrP.

LA has 77M of potential salary next year. Starting 2013/14, tax paying teams cannot partake in a S&T if after the trade they are 4M or more above the luxury tax threshold (71M). So if team salary comes out to 75M or more after such a trade, deal can't happen.

Smith makes 13M while Pau makes 19M. Now if Smith decides to re-up and then get traded, he can make more than that 13M or even less than it depending on how the market dictates his value. Technically, Smith can re-up for up to 17M and we can trade Pau for him straight up and LA will still only be at 75M in potential salary allowing them to do such a trade since they are within the 4M that is allowed over the luxury tax threshold.

Seriously though, do you see anybody giving JSmith 17M per? So a S&T would probably work with Smith over the summer. Also Metta and his 7.7M have an ETO on his last year here. Duhon's 3.75M is partially guaranteed and we still can use the amnesty clause to wipe any player and their salary off the books.

So there are tons of options and factors at play that don't really limit us in a Pau for Smith type trade. However, both Atlanta and Smith would have to cooperate in the first place for such a deal to be consummated.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^You're partially right, khmrP.

LA has 77M of potential salary next year. Starting 2013/14, tax paying teams cannot partake in a S&T if after the trade they are 4M or more above the luxury tax threshold (71M). So if team salary comes out to 75M or more after such a trade, deal can't happen.

Smith makes 13M while Pau makes 19M. Now if Smith decides to re-up and then get traded, he can make more than that 13M or even less than it depending on how the market dictates his value. Technically, Smith can re-up for up to 17M and we can trade Pau for him straight up and LA will still only be at 75M in potential salary allowing them to do such a trade since they are within the 4M that is allowed over the luxury tax threshold.

Seriously though, do you see anybody giving JSmith 17M per? So a S&T would probably work with Smith over the summer. Also Metta and his 7.7M have an ETO on his last year here. Duhon's 3.75M is partially guaranteed and we still can use the amnesty clause to wipe any player and their salary off the books.

So there are tons of options and factors at play that don't really limit us in a Pau for Smith type trade. However, both Atlanta and Smith would have to cooperate in the first place for such a deal to be consummated.

Hoops hype says 78 mill and thats w/o Howard potential salary. Wouldn't that pretty much take us out the range altogether? Even if he isn't signed yet there is still a cap hold.
khmrP

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Hoopshype is pretty bad with the numbers...more accurate ones can be found at storytellerscontracts.info

Also, I have to hunt it down, but cap holds are for potential 1st round draft picks, which we don't have. Holding someone's bird rights doesn't necessarily place a hold against your cap. So technically you can work out a loop hole where a S&T can be executed and then concurrently a new contract given to Dwight.

I have to look it up, but I know I read somewhere that there are a ton of loopholes like this in the new CBA. If you remember, the Clips did something similar with DeAndre when he was a restricted FA. They brought in Caron since they were under the cap and then used their non tax paying exemption to bid on Billups off the amnesty wire and still were able to match DeAndre's offer sheet. Technically, they would not be able to bring in Caron in that way, however Oshley worked a loophole.

Don't take it as gospel..I'm going to do some research to confirm this when I get time. So I apologize if I have potentially misled people with this post...and those that definitively know, please correct me.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby DHL on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:37 pm

ok, alot of IF for that to happen but still the wrong fit IMO, it might be a lil easier to defend the PnR with both Non Shooters in Howard & Smith. I'd would like to still take a shot with Hou, they are close to being really competitive, they have several pieces that I like i.e. the Donut guy (dont know spelling of his name). He's not getting much PT but he looks to be a solid floor spacer and I'd ask for Patterson/Delfino and we throw in Blake from our side :man10: .....this could happent his year as oppose to Smith situation and our salary situation wouldn't be in jepordy either for the 2014 FA class.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:39 pm

whats the deal with all those old names still having contract value?
khmrP

Postby karacha on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Jordan-esque wrote:Can Smith hit them 15 footers?

Sure.

I mean, he can hit them in the same way that you and I could. Anything's possible, but I would not not exactly count on him to hit them consistently. :man12:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Pho Sun reunion, Pau for Novak/Amare :man1: ...........................

j/k but maybe :man10:
khmrP

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:52 pm

khmrP: Here is the source from Larry Coon's CBA FAQ:
They use a slightly different calculation for determining the team salary in relation to the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 25), and for Sign-and-Trade transactions (see question number 88). For these purposes (i.e., for determining whether the team salary is above or below the apron2) they use the team salary as defined above, with the following modifications:

All unlikely bonuses are included for contracts and extensions signed under the current CBA.
Amounts that could be included in team salary as the result of certain grievances are included.
For rookies and players with one year of experience whose salary is less than the two-year minimum salary, the two-year minimum salary is used in place of their actual salary.
For the team's restricted free agents, the amount of any outstanding qualifying offer or first refusal exercise notice (both including unlikely bonuses), whichever is greater, are included.
The amount of any required tenders for the team's draft picks is included.
Cap holds for free agents are excluded.
Cap holds for first round draft picks are excluded.
Cap holds for the team's outstanding exceptions are excluded.

So technically, Dwight's potential salary would not count in a S&T for Smith, since it would not count against the cap apron aka 4M over the luxury tax threshold. LA would first pull off that S&T and then offer Howard his new max deal.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:khmrP: Here is the source from Larry Coon's CBA FAQ:
They use a slightly different calculation for determining the team salary in relation to the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 25), and for Sign-and-Trade transactions (see question number 88). For these purposes (i.e., for determining whether the team salary is above or below the apron2) they use the team salary as defined above, with the following modifications:

All unlikely bonuses are included for contracts and extensions signed under the current CBA.
Amounts that could be included in team salary as the result of certain grievances are included.
For rookies and players with one year of experience whose salary is less than the two-year minimum salary, the two-year minimum salary is used in place of their actual salary.
For the team's restricted free agents, the amount of any outstanding qualifying offer or first refusal exercise notice (both including unlikely bonuses), whichever is greater, are included.
The amount of any required tenders for the team's draft picks is included.
Cap holds for free agents are excluded.
Cap holds for first round draft picks are excluded.
Cap holds for the team's outstanding exceptions are excluded.

So technically, Dwight's potential salary would not count in a S&T for Smith, since it would not count against the cap apron aka 4M over the luxury tax threshold. LA would first pull off that S&T and then offer Howard his new max deal.

ok whatever works, but I'm part of the nay sayer that doesn't think Smith lack of shooting will be a good fit next to Howard, regardless of the type of offense we're running and especially this offense, where spacing is crucial for PnR to be effective.
khmrP

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:58 pm

^^^I actually agree. Smith's shooting is really bad. He's a good weak-side/ help defender...but playing straight man isn't his strength.

However I like that he's young and athletic and if a guard can create for him, like Nash, that would work as well. Most importantly, if he somehow locks up Dwight for us (since they are besties), then all of a sudden it becomes a no brainer.

I think Millsap/Mo Williams would be the way to go for Pau. Both have expiring Ks and definitely bring a need for this team in terms of motor and scoring.

Also another possibility would be to the Wolves for DWill/AK47. Adelman would love a player like Pau and you pair him up with Rubio and Love and that team is dangerous.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:I think Millsap/Mo Williams would be the way to go for Pau. Both have expiring Ks and definitely bring a need for this team in terms of motor and scoring.

Also another possibility would be to the Wolves for DWill/AK47. Adelman would love a player like Pau and you pair him up with Rubio and Love and that team is dangerous.

nice idea on both fronts, although I'm not sure Minn would give up Ak47, he's been alot better then they had hoped for. Mo/Milsap I could see working but I dont see any reason for Utah to want to do it and Mo wanted out of the clipps too because he wanted to start, he'd be in same situation here as he was with the clips, unless we go crazy and start him with Nash :man10:
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion