Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: So how's your 40 dash? You're hired!

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^ :man1: :man12:

....but what about his broken hand? And would that mean we are officially conceding the season?

I am of the thought that we play better when either Pau or Dwight are on the floor, both of them at the same does not work. IF we SOMEHOW were able to get Love, it would most likely put Cunningham in the lineup until Love was healthy again, running with only 1 big which we have seen has worked out great before. Back to reality, i don't see any way of Minni making a trade without either trading 1 or 2 big-contract players, or trading a bunch of small-contract players (and seeing how short-handed they already are I can't see them doing that.)
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Congo Cash on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 am

thisbjgz wrote:I really don't buy too much into Smith getting us over the top though. He's not Exactly a deadeye shooter. Isn't what we missing a Forward who can stretch the floor and play some defense? Utah is in a dilemma and I'd love for Mitch to pull off some three way involving Millsap seeing how Utah has no need for Pau

He is easily the better defender and while he can't shoot, Pau is not much better... But what he can do is make the Lakers better in transition on both ends on the floor...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 am

Doc Brown wrote:
By Eric Pincus
January 18, 2013, 5:00 p.m.
The Lakers have reportedly shown interest in Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham.

According to Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com, "Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak is said to have called the Wolves recently about forward Dante Cunningham."

Cunningham is a 6-foot-8, 25-year-old forward who averages 7.4 points and 5.5 rebounds a game this season.

There's no word as to who or what Kupchak offered in return but Cunningham has a $2.09-million salary.

"With a reasonable $2.1 million team option for 2013-14, Cunningham won't be easy to get," according to 1500ESPN.com. Technically it's $2.18 million. The Timberwolves are reportedly looking to add size to their roster.

Minnesota has been linked to Pau Gasol in the past but there's no suggestion yet from the Lakers they're ready to make a major move.

The trade deadline is Feb. 21.

So, I'm thinking he contacted him after Gasol, Howard, and Hill were out or he's a throw-in for a bigger deal? Interesting. I don't see inquring about a player like Dante unless he is a throw-in.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Cunningham is "sick" tonight and isn't playing. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dj vitus on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:49 pm

I don't think Minny is crazy enough to gift us Kevin Love and start rebuilding again so soon. But hey, I guess stranger things have happened.

I will say this, though: as much as Kevin Love is a superstar, I think Josh Smith is a better fit simply because of his excellent defense. I mean, Clark is not known for his shooting, either, but we played great with him. Josh is a very underrated passer and clutch player, too.

We need defense more than anything else. Defense also wins championships. Getting Smith would be a no-brainer at this point.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36 pm

dj vitus wrote:I don't think Minny is crazy enough to gift us Kevin Love and start rebuilding again so soon. But hey, I guess stranger things have happened.

I will say this, though: as much as Kevin Love is a superstar, I think Josh Smith is a better fit simply because of his excellent defense. I mean, Clark is not known for his shooting, either, but we played great with him. Josh is a very underrated passer and clutch player, too.

We need defense more than anything else. Defense also wins championships. Getting Smith would be a no-brainer at this point.

The T-Wolves have already made it clear to Love they don't intend to rebuild around him, they want Rubio to be their franchise cornerstone, they did it after giving Ricky the 5 year extension and didn't even offer it to Love. KLove's time in Minnesota is up IMO, either when someone trades for him or he opts out of his contract, there has been too much bad blood brewing with the front office and him, and now much of the fan base have started turning on him after the comments he made about not thinking the FO had a plan to get better.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby sina on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 am

Howard / Gasol
Clark / Jamson
MWP
Bryant / Meeks / Morris
Nash / Duhon

Howard n Bryant are expected to play extended minutes at C n SG. With Gasol n MWP can play PF, Clark, Byrant n Morris can play SF, I think Lakers are set at these spots. What they need is a capable back up PG, better a combo guard can set play n score. Obviously Duhon isn't this kind of player they need.

There are only abt 40 games left. At this time of a season, I don't expect major trade hapened as they would have no time to build up chemistry.

Gasol may not be a good fit to this time. However, with his expiring contract, his trade value would be much higher in coming off season or next season. Besides, he is also a capable C if Howard decided to walk away from Lakers this summer.
sina

Postby borri on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm

karacha wrote:
Smith is a good player. He's a 17/8/3 guy. The only problem here is that he would make our FT% absolutely horrific.

I'll take the FT horrifics anyda and twice on Sundays if we couldn't permanently close the buffet line at the Dunk and Layup Grill the minute D12 goes to the bench.

TOR got 13 buckets in the 3rd. 4 were dunks. 4 were layups. Can we make it any easier for opponents to score?
borri

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:42 pm

FWIW....

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO
Lakers are said to have a strong interest in Cavs' Daniel Gibson, a natural in D'Antoni's system, but have nothing to offer.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Gibson/Cunningham.....

Somebody is trying to get a bench. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Dantoni will still play Morris and Duhon over him. Meeks part 2.
Ariza3

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Doc Brown wrote:FWIW....

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO
Lakers are said to have a strong interest in Cavs' Daniel Gibson, a natural in D'Antoni's system, but have nothing to offer.

Gibson/Cunningham.....

yea thats what we need, more undersized 2's who dont play a lick of D :jam2:
khmrP

Postby Center Court on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:
dj vitus wrote:I don't think Minny is crazy enough to gift us Kevin Love and start rebuilding again so soon. But hey, I guess stranger things have happened.

The T-Wolves have already made it clear to Love they don't intend to rebuild around him, they want Rubio to be their franchise cornerstone, they did it after giving Ricky the 5 year extension and didn't even offer it to Love. KLove's time in Minnesota is up IMO, either when someone trades for him or he opts out of his contract, there has been too much bad blood brewing with the front office and him, and now much of the fan base have started turning on him after the comments he made about not thinking the FO had a plan to get better.

Ummm no...

He got 4/$62MM. Opt out after year 3-- 2015. At the very least, they can keep him this season, next season and then move him if they feel he is going to leave.

Not sure why anyone that has any knowledge of basketball and the business of basketball would think that Pau would be a good package for Minny. Bringing in Pau for some combo of Pek/AK/Dwill is a different story. Even so, Pek is needed right now with Love out. Would they trade AK/DWill/Barea for Pau/Blake? That's a good deal for both parties IMO
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

khmrP wrote:

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO

Gibson/Cunningham.....

I'm guessing he would play PG here. He's played mostly PG this season and has played a lot in the past.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO

Gibson/Cunningham.....

I'm guessing he would play PG here. He's played mostly PG this season and has played a lot in the past.

ok 1 more turd added to the pot of turds we already have there I guess :man10: ....Gibson is as much a PG as Morris is, only difference is Gibson can hit shots here and there.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:09 pm

If you think about it, getting guys like Gibson/Cunningham now gives us cheap but serviceable players off the bench for next season, before other teams get dibs on them.

For example, if we did get those two, if I'm reading this right, we would have Cunningham at 2.1 million and the bird rights on Gibson and Clark. Throw in Hill and Meeks coming back next season and we would technically already have our bench, with the mini-MLE still left to use.

Now the hard part is getting guys like Blake/Duhon off the team and cutting loose Ebanks/Morris. That's where Mitch comes in. :man10:
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice.. Boobie would fit well.
lakersin4

Postby Kit on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Gibson and Meeks are the same type of players right and Meeks can play better D?
Kit

Postby XXIV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Now the hard part is getting guys like Blake/Duhon off the team and cutting loose Ebanks/Morris. That's where Mitch comes in. :man10:

It should actually be quite easy to cut loose Ebanks/Morris, but ownership seems to think it's a very difficult decision to make. :freak2:
XXIV

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Gibson
Meeks/Morris
Clark
Cunningham
Hill/Sacre

Not. Terrible. May be tough in the half court. How do they get Gasol off the books and sign a forward and back up guard for half that?

I hate that we are talking about next year but if we want to contend and keep Dwight the FO must have some sort of plan to add a nice mix of vets, athletes, speed, youth and shooting. Starts with moving Gasol at deadline or this summer for several short-contrat pieces.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby XXIV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Assuming we cut the dead weight in Ebanks/Morris and Jamison likely to leave, that will leave us with four open spots. If management plays it smart we should be able to get a relatively cheap bench that can produce. Hell we could do that now if they signed West or KM.
XXIV

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 pm

I wish we could just dump Morris, Duhon, Ebanks and hate to say it cuz he's a nice guy, Sacre

Oh and Blake
D.B. Cooper

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Boobie would be really nice as a backup PG in this system. He's a good shooter, a nice athlete, young and quick. He's a perfect fit for the system and would give us more than Morris ever could.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Boobie Gibson? Why aren't we talking about trading everyone for draft picks and starting over?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 pm

I hope the FO gets the point we need an effing bench. It's pathetic.

Nash can't get a break
Kobe can't get a break
Our defense turns to s*** when D12 comes out
No backup SF

I mean come on.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:Boobie would be really nice as a backup PG in this system. He's a good shooter, a nice athlete, young and quick. He's a perfect fit for the system and would give us more than Morris ever could.

But our system sucks too.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion