Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:48 am

Fisher has been HORRIBLE with OKC ... one good game and we should have signed him :man10: ... Blake is ten times better than Fish...

Barnes is a well known playoffs choker and always injured in the postseason...

Nate would have been a nice boost off the bench ... can get out of control at times though and it could have been a bad experience with MDA as the coach ...

K Mart/Pedobear are definetely serviceable pieces .

I definetely agree with your first and last sentences ... and that's why I'm not optimistic about the future of our team at mid-term ... Lakers always have been about getting superstars , sure it does win titles but there is a moment when it isn't possible to just get one , that's why you have to be better at developing and picking role and bench players ...

We had 2 of the all time greats with Kobe and Shaq for the latest 17 seasons ... acquiring another player of this caliber after Kobe retired isn't probably going to happen ... that's when the role/bench players factor kicks in if you want to stay relevant
wcsoldier81

Postby khmrP on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 am

therealdeal wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Pass. He's dumb as a sack of rocks. That's why the Lakers sat on him for years and never offered him a spot.

I don't know.. I could see him getting around Kobe & having an Ariza/Clark type breakout. Kobe pushes those athletic young fowards.

If I'm not mistaken, he's been a camp invite. If he was that kind of player, he'd be a Laker right now.

man come on, dont act as if we never had camp invites who didnt' make the team and go on to have a solid nba career elsewhere....there are more circumstances invovled than "not being good enough" for this team. The fact that a guy like Morris made the squad speaks volumes of talent evaluation, its not as clear cut as you make it out to be. The last time he was here and didn't make it we had Barnes/Ebanks/MWP as the 3 man rotation @ forward. Green might not be in the rotation in indy that doesn't mean he couldnt work out elsewhere. He thrived when Nets were sucking and played at a high pace but now he plays with Indy who is more of the slow grind it out type of team. I'm not saying he's magically gona turn into a stud but he couldn't be any worse than the guy I'm trying to trade him for, Duhon.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 am

I'm not saying he's going to come here and suck up a roster spot like Ebanks, but... he will. The ONLY reason he'd crack the rotation here is because we have no one else at the position.

But the fact that he was here and didn't get a spot is telling. We had a chance to get him in the 2011-2012 season and we didn't. We needed athleticism then and it was sure obvious this kid had that. But before that he was a camp invite for a year or two and we STILL didn't sign him. He's not smart enough to be an NBA player.

He'd be Devin Ebanks with more guaranteed years and at a higher price.

We could get CDR (who likely wouldn't crack the rotation either) and he'd give us similar scoring ability, some of that athleticism, but at a fraction of the cost and with a FAR better attitude. Not to mention that in CDR's short time here he built a rapport with the team. I don't remember hearing anything about how Green was impacted by Kobe Bryant or any of our other veterans.

Trade Duhon for some draft picks or for a backup big man if you're going to trade him for anything.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 am

yeah whoever that's saying we should have brought back fisher, he's had like 3 good games this season. and have you not forgotten about how much of a liability he is on D? nash is already a liability on D so just imagine if fish was backing him up
:man10:

i'd take blake any day and that's really saying something
432J

Postby Center Court on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 am

432J wrote:yeah whoever that's saying we should have brought back fisher, he's had like 3 good games this season. and have you not forgotten about how much of a liability he is on D? nash is already a liability on D so just imagine if fish was backing him up

i'd take blake any day and that's really saying something

that's 3 more than Duhon or Morris.

I don't think anyone is a quality backup or the backup we are missing, but having a vet like him on our bench could help. Especially in a season like this one.
Center Court

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Indeed it is 3 more than Duhon. In addition he would've provided crucial locker room presence and leadership. Plus Kobe Pau and Metta would've been happy.

Imagine Dwight getting schooled by the wise words of Fish? He'd be a 3rd string PG because Blake > Fisher
Chillbongo

Postby Helljumper on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Wasting a roster spot/money on a 38 year old Fisher when we have other glaring issues would've been a terrible move.
Helljumper

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Helljumper wrote:Wasting a roster spot/money on a 38 year old Fisher when we have other glaring issues would've been a terrible move.

This...

I'd have taken any number of swing men over him at this point. I love Derek, but we don't need him and he's not a good fit here anymore.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Seriously?

We're talking about hypothetically replacing Fisher for Duhon. You guys would pay Duhon's $3.5 MILLION over Fisher's $261,000?

They've played almost the same number of minutes this season.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 pm

But that's not reality. Reality is that we have Morris, Duhon, Blake, and Nash at the PG position.

We've never NEEDED Derek. We NEED a backup/starting SF.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Of course not. But at $261,000 if a CBA genie showed up, I would absolutely take Derek Fisher over Duhon and Morris.

But realistically, no we don't need another pg. At the beginning of the year would I have taken Fisher over Morris? Probably..
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Well yes, that'd be different. If we could switch Duhon for Fisher is one thing, but we can't.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 am

^What this team needs is LeBron James. You put LeBron at the 3, with Nash, Kobe, Gasol and Howard, and let Artest(World Peace) come off the bench with Blake, Clark and a healthy Jordan Hill; and we walk our way to a championship this season. Incredible that one person(LeBron) could basically solve all of our problems right now. Sadly, it will only happen in my dreams :man6:
LAKEROC

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 am

LAKEROC wrote:^What this team needs is LeBron James. You put LeBron at the 3, with Nash, Kobe, Gasol and Howard, and let Artest(World Peace) come off the bench with Blake, Clark and a healthy Jordan Hill; and we walk our way to a championship this season. Incredible that one person(LeBron) could basically solve all of our problems right now. Sadly, it will only happen in my dreams :man6:

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 am

LAKEROC wrote:^What this team needs is LeBron James. You put LeBron at the 3, with Nash, Kobe, Gasol and Howard, and let Artest(World Peace) come off the bench with Blake, Clark and a healthy Jordan Hill; and we walk our way to a championship this season. Incredible that one person(LeBron) could basically solve all of our problems right now. Sadly, it will only happen in my dreams :man6:

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:06 pm

John Wall went for 37 points, 4 rebounds and 5 assists tonight against Indiana. He looked phenomenal. He had a phenomenal game, other than at the free throw line. The Lakers need to pray this guy takes that 1 year QO. He would be our most electrifying point guard we have had since magic Johnson. He looks like he is finally learning to shoot from outside. Once he does that consistently, he will be a top 3 PG in this league next year.
LAKEROC

Postby XXIV on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Would you give him the max?
XXIV

Postby karacha on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:11 pm

We only need Bron to win? Alright, do it Mitch!
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:12 pm

LAKEROC wrote:John Wall went for 37 points, 4 rebounds and 5 assists tonight against Indiana. He looked phenomenal. He had a phenomenal game, other than at the free throw line. The Lakers need to pray this guy takes that 1 year QO. He would be our most electrifying point guard we have had since magic Johnson. He looks like he is finally learning to shoot from outside. Once he does that consistently, he will be a top 3 PG in this league next year.

your post kinda looks like this Dall fan on realgm... :man10: :man10: :man10:
Soupman wrote:Why not bid 30m+ a year to really cripple the lakers cap?
If we get him great.
If we don't sign him the laker's cap is really messed up and we can go after Josh Smith and Bynum.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:14 pm

He would be perfect. Throw in Lebron and a resigned D12 and Kobe (mini-MLE) and trade Pau for KLove, that would be about as realistic as you could get.

My dream would be to get Andrew Wiggins to come off the bench. Wiggins/Clark/Hill and throw in Eric Bledsoe and this team is about as realistic as we can get.

I have insider information that says this is the exact plan Mitch is trying to put together. Remember I was the one who broke that the Lakers FO was getting TWC into their offices instead of DirecTV.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:06 pm

Jeff Goldblum @JeffyG
Sources confirm that a multi-team trade that will send Lebron, Love, and whatever draft pick Andrew Wiggins will be selected with to the Lakers is imminent once the off season begins.
GoldHammish

Postby Helljumper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:21 am

GoldHammish wrote:
Jeff Goldblum @JeffyG
Sources confirm that a multi-team trade that will send Lebron, Love, and whatever draft pick Andrew Wiggins will be selected with to the Lakers is imminent once the off season begins.

:man10: Just got back from re-watching Jurassic Park in 3D. There was this one scene with Jeff Goldblum that seemed extremely familiar but I couldn't put my finger on where from. This post just reminded me though. I had totally forgotten about JeffyG's awesome inside info during the Dwightmare and all the amazing .GIFs/pics that were posted in his honor.
Helljumper

Postby kalee8 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:06 am

^
What is this about Jeff Goldblum during the Dwightmare? I keep reading about it but can someone clarify what it was about?
kalee8

Postby trodgers on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:25 am

kalee8 wrote:^
What is this about Jeff Goldblum during the Dwightmare? I keep reading about it but can someone clarify what it was about?

Fake Jeff Goldblum was sourced as having info on Dwight. Lots of images, lots of fake Tweets.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:06 am

And the legend is still alive. :man9:

Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion