Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby charvin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:05 am

We need an athletic, defensive 3 who can shoot the 3. Then, we need a backup with the exact same traits. We have been forever lacking in this area with Ariza being the exception.
charvin

Postby dj vitus on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:18 am

What if we dumped Pau for a $19M trade exception?

Since S&T deals don't work for us anymore, this might be another avenue we can use to get some good pieces in return.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am

dj vitus wrote:What if we dumped Pau for a $19M trade exception?

Since S&T deals don't work for us anymore, this might be another avenue we can use to get some good pieces in return.

except we have to find a Taker for him and we have to still get enough pieces in return (high draft picks?) to make that trade. Highly unlikely. Right now Pau's situation is very unpredictable. Lots of factors

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 pm

John Ireland said this today:

There's going to be an order to things this summer. First of all, money is an issue, but not THE issue. If they feel they're fielding a contender, money is no object. But if they feel they're paying 100 million for guys that can't get the job done, no one is safe this summer.

The order is as follows:
1. Dwight. If/when he re-signs is the absolute first priority.
2. When Dwight re-signs, it's very possible he either demands a new coach or demands a defensive minded assistant. That will be the second order after Dwight.
3. Depending on the coach, Pau will be moved. There's a market out there for him and we'll move him if we have to. (Phil would basically be the only reason he'd stay unless Dwight demanded that he stay).
4. Everything else; including re-signing Clark and Jamison and so forth.

With that said, I think Pau is out the door this summer no matter what happens. It just so happens that he's playing at such an incredible level that I think his value is being raised by the minute. Hopefully he keeps it up for... at least 3 more games. :man12:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Thank God. Forget an assistant, ship his a** out and get us a new damn coach.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Don't misunderstand though Chill, I should also note it's entirely possible he DOESN'T say anything about the coach.

In that case D'Antoni stays, no question.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Dear Dwight,

Don't learn from your PR mistakes now. CL is praying for you.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm

:man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:John Ireland said this today:

There's going to be an order to things this summer. First of all, money is an issue, but not THE issue. If they feel they're fielding a contender, money is no object. But if they feel they're paying 100 million for guys that can't get the job done, no one is safe this summer.

The order is as follows:
2. When Dwight re-signs, it's very possible he either demands a new coach or demands a defensive minded assistant. That will be the second order after Dwight.
3. Depending on the coach, Pau will be moved. There's a market out there for him and we'll move him if we have to. (Phil would basically be the only reason he'd stay unless Dwight demanded that he stay).

With that said, I think Pau is out the door this summer no matter what happens. It just so happens that he's playing at such an incredible level that I think his value is being raised by the minute. Hopefully he keeps it up for... at least 3 more games. :man12:

Interesting. I think Dwight resigns, and Pau is traded. Everything else is up in the air, IMO
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:John Ireland said this today:

The order is as follows:

If we get a young athletic starting SF, backup PG & quick defensive minded PF that can hit the 3 for Pau, we're set (Budinger,Dwill2, Barea, AK might fit the bill). If he keeps playing like this we should have plenty of takers for 'the big expiring'. Bringing back Clark is really important too.. Jamison depends on if we landing a PF in a Pau trade. If we have starting PF/Clark/Hill I think we're set.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Kenyon Martin is killing it on defense for the Knicks so far in the playoffs. Too bad we didn't have a chance to pick him up. :freak2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 am

Doc Brown wrote:Kenyon Martin is killing it on defense for the Knicks so far in the playoffs. Too bad we didn't have a chance to pick him up. :freak2:

Dude, Morris and Ebanks were much more valuable roster spots than some vet min signings like Nate Rob and Kmart would have been for our team. :man6:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:36 am

Punk-101 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Kenyon Martin is killing it on defense for the Knicks so far in the playoffs. Too bad we didn't have a chance to pick him up. :freak2:

Dude, Morris and Ebanks were much more valuable roster spots than some vet min signings like Nate Rob and Kmart would have been for our team. :man6:

even our "injury prone" thug wannabe Barnes is doing a lot more then these scrubs, Meeks included. Thanks again Potato Head, hope Clev is the worse team in the league again next year :mad1:
khmrP

Postby GNC on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

Why we held onto Morris and Ebanks over some of these other vets blows my mind. We could really have used them..
GNC

Postby sina on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 am

In 1996, Jerry got the best offensive big man in Shaq and drafted a high school prospect in Kobe. 3 years later, he brought us the greatest coach ever in Phil to town. Phil turn Shaq into the most dominant ever and run our offense through him. Meanwhile, he also turn Kobe into the best all around player: a player could lock down 1 to 3, could set up offense and could score anywhere. The result: we won 3 titles in a row.

Then Mitch brought back Phil and got us Pau in 2007. This time Phil turn prime Kobe into the best offensive player and Pau into a best all round big man: player could dish, could score and could rebound. The result: we won 2 titles in 2009 and 2010.

In 2012, Mitch brought us the best defensive big man. What will he do then...
sina

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Get us a talented PG, obviously, who can score and set people up.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

A young athletic 3 would be nice, I just hope the team as a whole becomes a bit younger and more athletic. I don't see us winning next season unless we can address these needs.
XXIV

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:12 pm

These are guys that should be on our radar, some we'd have to trade for some are FA's that might not get offered a ton in this CBA. Some are pipe but whatever. If we can get a couple of these guys we'll be a much better team next season & in the future with Dwight.

paul george
nicolas batum
stephen curry
ryan anderson
klay thompson
chandler parsons
dannilo gallinari
andre igoudala
damian lillard
oj mayo
jrue holiday
kemba walker
george hill
jeremy lin
corey brewer
wes matthews
jr smith
steve novak
carlos delfino
jared dudley
gordon hayward
kyle korver
terrence ross
jeff teague
brandon knight
greivis vasquez
jose calderon
thabo sefolosha
martell webster
dorell wright
randy foye
mike dunleavy
marcus morris
isaiah thomas
cj watson
nate robinson
john salmons

If you didn't notice the theme, 3 point shooters to space for Dwight to make teams pay for doubling. If we get that down we're tough to beat. Some of these guys could be available cheap (Calderon, Wright, Foye, Webster) & if Pau continues building his trade value some of the better names on the list become realistic. If we have to give up Nash also or instead of Pau to acquire a starting SF, I don't mind it considering the guys we could sign on the cheap. Calderon wants to play with Pau supposedly & Foye or Webster might not get offered more than the mini MLE we'll have to offer.
Calderon/Blake
(Foye or Webster)/Meeks/Morris?

That's a good guard rotation that becomes great once Kobe returns to it.
lakersin4

Cavaliers Interested In Trading For LaMarcus Aldridge

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers have held internal discussions of pursuing a trade with the Portland Trail Blazers for LaMarcus Aldridge, according to sources.

The Cavaliers have enough assets in the form of young players and picks to acquire a player of Aldridge's caliber, but the front office is said to value Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters higher than the rest of the NBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--caval ... 43252.html
Kobe8Fan

Dell Demps Not Ruling Out Eric Gordon Trade

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Dell Demps Not Ruling Out Eric Gordon Trade

By John Reid, NOLA.com | The Times Picayune

With concrete plans to make the team better by next season, New Orleans Pelicans General Manager Dell Demps didn’t rule out the possibility the franchise could trade shooting guard Eric Gordon this summer.

During an end of season news conference Monday at the New Orleans Arena, Demps said if a deal arises with Gordon or any other player the Pelicans will have to look at it after finishing with a 27-55 record and missing the playoffs for the second consecutive season.

Gordon led the Hornets with a 17.0 scoring average, but he missed 40 games due to a right knee injury and had strict restrictions imposed by team doctors that held him out of the second game of back-to-back sets to avoid overworking his knee.

"To say if I anticipate him being back – I don’t know if that’s something I can answer right now, or him not to be back,’’ Demps said. "We’re going to sit down and evaluate every situation and opportunity.

"But for a guy to come back from injury like that, I thought he had some ups and some downs, but I still think his future is bright as an NBA player.’’

The Hornets matched the Phoenix Suns’ four-year, $58 million sheet to Gordon last summer to retain him as a restricted free agent. But Gordon missed the first 29 games of this season because of a patella tendon disorder and bone bruise in his right knee.

He didn’t return until Dec. 29 and then was placed on restrictions by team doctors that included for him not to average more than 30 minutes a game. Those restrictions were not lifted until April 9-10 when he played back-to-back games against the Lakers and Sacramento Kings and combined to average 22.5 points.

In February, Gordon became the focus of trade rumors. But several teams apparently had concerns about his health issues and the size of his contract and the trade deadline passed with the Hornets making a deal.

"I thought it was tough on Eric coming back from injury, not having training camp, missing a number of games, not being able to play in back-to-backs,’’ Demps said. "I thought that he really tried to fight through the situation.’’

With Gordon sidelined for the opening two months of the season, the Hornets' young players had to grow up fast. Rookie guard Austin Rivers was thrust into the starting lineup when he appeared like he wasn’t ready, especially offensively. The Hornets had a 7-22 record before Gordon returned.

"Obviously, it’s easy to sit there and blame it on youth or blame it on whatever the players did,'' Coach Monty Williams said. "The bottom line is not just them all the time. I’ve got to do my job as well and I’m not going to hide from that. At the same time, we’re not playing against teams who are not trying to win.

“You look at a lot of those games, we were playing against pretty good teams. Some of those games, you feel like we could have pulled them out but we had planned on that before the season even started.''

Pelicans Executive Vice President Mickey Loomis said they're not happy about the team's 27-55 record in 2012-13, but he said the team had to fight through adversity the entire season because of injuries. In all, 115 games were missed by New Orleans players this season due to injuries.

"Eric from the beginning – missed 40 games,'' Loomis said. "Jason Smith missed 30 games. Anthony (Davis) missed 18 games. We were full strength for only 22 games this season. I believe our record was 11-11 during those 22 games."

Regardless of what decision the Pelicans make about Gordon’s future, Loomis said the franchise is in good hands with Williams and Demps. Loomis gave them both extensions before the regular season began.

"I think, most importantly, we absolutely have the right coach in Monty Williams,’’ Loomis said. "He’s everything that we’re looking for to lead our basketball team.

"We absolutely have the right general manager in Dell Demps. He and his staff made a number of significant moves in this last offseason, and we’re looking forward to having a great offseason plan from him and his staff and from Monty as well.’’

Williams said he will continue working to become a better coach, saying he plans to speak with coaches from other sports, including some NFL coaches.

“During the season, I talk to a number of coaches, whether it be (Gregg Popovich), Coach (Larry) Brown or Nate (McMillan),’’ Williams said. "This summer I’m going to do some different things, maybe talk to some guys in different sports. Last year I got the chance to sit down and listen to (Tony) LaRussa and it was eye-opening some of the things he said that I was able to use this year.

"They were simple things. I don’t mince a lot of words when it comes to me getting better as a coach but I’m always trying to do things necessary to become a better coach. I’m excited for some of the things Mickey has lined up for me as far as being around different voices and learning from people a lot more than I do. I feel like I’m always going to be there trying to improve as a coach.’’

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2 ... ral_m.html
Kobe8Fan

Raptors Would Likely Need To Include Asset To Trade Bargnani

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Raptors Would Likely Need To Include Asset To Trade Andrea Bargnani

By Ryan Wolstat , Toronto Sun

TORONTO - Raptors ownership is poised to bring back Bryan Colangelo and Dwane Casey for another season.

They will be making a mistake, particularly where Colangelo is concerned.

Colangelo’s refusal to recognize the obvious with Andrea Bargnani — that the “enigma of enigmas” could never be relied on as a key building block — and his total misread of the Chris Bosh situation have resulted in three playoff wins in seven years, including five years without a playoff appearance, when things could have been much different.

Sure, drafting Jonas Valanciunas was a coup and acquiring Rudy Gay was a strong play, but the roster that has been built is one that is capped out and limited in where it can go, unless Valanciunas becomes a superstar.

By convincing himself that Bargnani would one day repay his faith in him, Colangelo failed the franchise he has been paid handsomely to direct. Instead of dealing him when he had solid value, Colangelo hung on to the Roman and now, according to league sources, an asset would likely have to be included just to dump the $22.5 million US remaining on his contract.

That’s unacceptable.

Doubly so in that one reason Bosh left was because Colangelo could not properly build around him, partly because he believed Bargnani would be a key piece beside Bosh.

Not to mention, Toronto’s long-time president/general manager saw the team’s second-best all-time player bolt for next to nothing in return. Yes, Bosh and his agent gave indications that Toronto had a shot of retaining the big man, but history shows Colangelo was misguided to believe them. Not with Miami in position to make an historic haul, partly thanks to Colangelo (Jermaine O’Neal for Shawn Marion gifted the Heat the cap space required to add both Bosh and LeBron James).

Colangelo has done some good and some bad while in Toronto, but a unifying theme has been a lack of foresight. A failure to see what is coming next.

From rushing rebuilds, overvaluing his players, to overcompensating to try to alleviate problem areas, Colangelo has been unable to repeat his past success.

Now, with a new collective bargaining agreement making cap management more important than ever, a team has been built where most of the roster (Amir Johnson and Kyle Lowry aside) is being paid at a considerable premium. There are few options to improve the team either, other than through the “organic growth” Colangelo talks so hopefully about.

A new general manager would bring a fresh take on what the Raptors have and what changes have to be made. He would be able to move Bargnani without worrying what the club gets back in return and he would consider paths that Colangelo, sources say, isn’t currently inclined to consider — particularly moving DeMar DeRozan while his value is at a high point.

DeRozan’s defence is a large concern going forward — even if Colangelo disagreed strongly with that notion at his season-ending media availability Monday — and the team needs a dead-eye long-range shooter to complement Gay and Valanciunas far more than it needs DeRozan’s mid-range game.

Colangelo has had plenty of time to lift the Raptors and has not been able to get it done.

It’s time for a change.

The Casey situation is less clear-cut. After an excellent initial season in Toronto, Casey and his staff had a tough follow-up. Casey clashed with the mercurial Lowry, made some curious rotational decisions and watched his charges continually struggle to execute in tight situations (Toronto was one of the poorest teams at closing out tight contests in the league).

Still, that’s not enough to pay Casey to go away, some alterations to his staff could suffice.

Except for the fact that the roster he has been given to work with doesn’t suit his style or philosophy at all. That’s not Casey’s fault, unlike some of the on-court failings of his team, but it’s reality.

Just not in Colangelo’s eyes.

“I’m not sure I agree with you,” he said Monday when I suggested the roster he had built left Casey with one hand tied behind his back.

“There were some things that we needed to sort through and we’re getting to the point where we’re finding the common ground.

“My job in management is to get talent, to bring in athletes. Athletes that have upside and upside is not just offensive upside, it’s defensive upside as well ... There’s a number of players that you can point to and say: ‘Hey, they’ve got the athletic ability and the talent to play defence, it’s just a function of getting them to play defence.’”

The NBA is filled with great athletes. Most of them don’t play strong defence. Offence brings the glory and Toronto’s roster is stocked with players who pride themselves on their attacking skills, not their abilities to get stops.

There’s also the issue that this group is built to run, to take advantage of its athletic advantages, rather than being cerebral and precise.

That’s not what Casey favours (despite his pronouncement that he wants to run off of turnovers next season) and since this roster cannot be broken apart easily without setting the franchise back years, it’s doubtful things work out in Toronto for Casey, a solid coach.

So why try to force something that seems destined to fail?

Plus, a new GM should always be given the chance to pick his own bench boss.

However, sources say there has been no appetite at the MLSE board level to replace either Colangelo or Casey.

Instead, it appears the franchise will continue to attempt to force round pegs into square holes and hope for the best.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/22/ba ... -albatross
Kobe8Fan

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:56 pm

ugh screw Bargnani

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 pm

The Rock wrote:ugh screw Bargnani

If they're willing to pay the price of Lowry or Derozan I'll happily take on Bargs. I'm sure we can get something decent for him from a 3rd team.

I think the real question is can we get Lowry without giving up Pau? Toronto was in love with the idea of Nash ending his career there, they were offering him 3 years 36M before we got him.

I know the situation with his family makes it unlikely but Tor thinks Nash will bring in big $$$ & with Gay they're in a better position to win now than they were when he turned them down to join us. You have to think he's not thrilled being on a team that makes him look like a shell of his former self. I know some of that is health & he's declining but he just doesn't fit here & wants to show that he can still lead a team.
lakersin4

Re: Cavaliers Interested In Trading For LaMarcus Aldridge

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:

The Cleveland Cavaliers have held internal discussions of pursuing a trade with the Portland Trail Blazers for LaMarcus Aldridge, according to sources.

The Cavaliers have enough assets in the form of young players and picks to acquire a player of Aldridge's caliber, but the front office is said to value Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters higher than the rest of the NBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--caval ... 43252.html

I'd love to get in on this & land Batum somehow. If I'm Portland I'm worried about giving up LMA for an unproven TT when the team already lacks quality bigs. Maybe we can get involved & send them Pau we could snag Batum? Something like this:

Cavs get to keep TT & get a top 3 PF & their apparent target in LMA. Matthews is a downgrade from Waiters considering age but their numbers are really close right now. If Ron exercises his option in time for the trade he'd likely go to the Cavs as they still need a SF. Good move for the Cavs as either way imo.

Portland replaces LMA with the only guy in the league with a post game to rival him & gets to upgrade from Matthews to Waiters & Leonard to AV. They make out very well in this deal.

We get a versatile starting SF that can hit the 3, play defense, play PF in small ball lineups ala Lebron, Durant, Melo etc. He's a great young piece on a very reasonable contract. 2 solid wings that can hit the 3 & play some D, something we sorely needed even before Kobe went out. & we get a legit backup C so we aren't relying on Sacre if D12 or Hill miss a game.
lakersin4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 pm

^^ Everything looks like it would be a good trade their except I really doubt CLE will allow Dion Waiters to be part of that deal. CLE would be happy that they get to keep Tristan Thompson who I had heard POR likes a lot too. I'd take that deal for sure. Don't know about you guys. Even though it kills our 2014 PLAN
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion