Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby lakersin4 on Sat May 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Hard to believe they'd prefer keeping Perk over not having to dump Harden. That 1 move alone could have saved them enough to max Harden. OKC's front office was clearly overrated.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby JSM on Sun May 19, 2013 8:55 am

therealdeal wrote:Put it this way: if they amnesty him, how many teams pick him up right away?


Miami. This is the same team that signed Eddy Curry. Enough said.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94002
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Sun May 19, 2013 9:53 am

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Put it this way: if they amnesty him, how many teams pick him up right away?


Miami. This is the same team that signed Eddy Curry. Enough said.

You can't just quote part of the two part question and call it a day. :man10:

Probably every team would bid on him, but how many pay him even 5 million dollars? I doubt any of them would or very few. He has looked like a 2nd string Center for the last couple of years already.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40320
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby JSM on Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am

therealdeal wrote:You can't just quote part of the two part question and call it a day. :man10:


I try to spend as little time as possible discussing the Miami CHEAT.

He looks like a backup at this stage, but even a 3rd string center on any other team is a starting center for Miami (hell they brought Juwan Howard back this season). If they get in a bidding war with the Cavs who still like him, I could see him getting money on either a one year deal or a two year deal and the 2nd is a TO.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94002
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Sun May 19, 2013 10:06 am

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:You can't just quote part of the two part question and call it a day. :man10:


I try to spend as little time as possible discussing the Miami CHEAT.

He looks like a backup at this stage, but even a 3rd string center on any other team is a starting center for Miami (hell they brought Juwan Howard back this season). If they get in a bidding war with the Cavs who still like him, I could see him getting money on either a one year deal or a two year deal and the 2nd is a TO.

I'd love if they picked up Porkins. He's about as poor a fit there as Curry was. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40320
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Clippers Expected To Pursue David West

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Clippers Expected To Pursue David West

Image

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Among the immediate concerns for the Indiana Pacers heading into the Eastern Conference finals against Miami is the state of David West's right calf. One of the longer-term worries, though, is West's forthcoming free agency.

The Pacers' veteran leader openly loves his situation in Indiana, which certainly gives Indy justified cause for optimism when it comes to re-signing the 32-year-old this summer. Yet the whispers are already swirling that Chris Paul's Los Angeles Clippers, in particular, are going to make a hard run at West in the offseason.

Indy will certainly have the ability to pay West more to convince its locker-room sage to stay, given that the Clips would presumably have to structure an offer with the $5.15 million midlevel exception available to nontax teams. But you have to figure that the former Hornet -- who rose to All-Star prominence playing alongside CP3 -- is going to want to hear the details of a proposal pitching a reunion with his old point guard ... as long as Paul himself, of course, decides to stay. If Paul re-signs with the Clips as most league insiders continue to expect, L.A. will be seeking to add the final piece or two to cement itself as a contender with some staying power.

Yet Indy's brass must feel some reassurance when it hears West say things like he said in the wake of the New York series when he described the Pacers as "the most together group I've ever been a part of."


http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... david-west
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10251
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby lakersin4 on Tue May 21, 2013 11:47 pm

I don't see how West fits in with Blake.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:38 am

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Put it this way: if they amnesty him, how many teams pick him up right away?


Miami. This is the same team that signed Eddy Curry. Enough said.


Birdman at the minimum is more useful to Miami than Porkins is to OKC
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6427
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby HotFudge on Sun May 26, 2013 3:24 pm

I know this sounds crazy because he's been the enemy for 15 years but.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... free-agent

I know he's getting up there in age, but cat can still play. He'd be leagues better than our current options at SF.
HotFudge

 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Weezy on Sun May 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Two old, too broken down, too much a lifetime Celtic. I guess if we had an athletic starting SF, he came off the bench, and he signed for the minimum I might consider it, but man I just cannot stand Pierce. I want to win, but there are limits to how bad.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50944
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Tony Allen Hopes To Re-Sign With Grizzlies

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun May 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Tony Allen Hopes To Re-Sign With Grizzlies

Image

Tony Allen will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end, but the 31-year-old defensive specialist would prefer to remain a Memphis Grizzly.

"I don't even understand the business side," Allen said. "When July hits, somebody is going to have to sit me down and explain it. All I know is I'm a Grizzly and I believe I'm going to be a Grizzly when it's over with.

"I bleed blue. I think they going to keep me. But if they don't, I understand.

"I don't even think about it now. I just play. I love being in Memphis. I love the city. Hopefully I stay here. It feels like home."

Allen is earning a reported $3.3 million this season.


http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/st ... d-attitude
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10251
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue May 28, 2013 1:08 am

Pierce should retire or take the minimum.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
User avatar
KareemTheGreat33

 
Posts: 7826
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Philippines

Mavericks, Cavaliers and Bobcats Interested In DeMarcus Cous

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 am

Mavericks, Cavaliers and Bobcats Interested In DeMarcus Cousins

Image

The Cleveland Cavaliers, Charlotte Bobcats and Dallas Mavericks are three teams that have interest in trading for DeMarcus Cousins if the new ownership of the Sacramento Kings decide to part ways with their most valued asset, according to sources.

The Bobcats are motivated to turnaround their long rebuilding situation and would surely be willing to build a package for Cousins around the No. 4 pick.

Cousins would be 'Plan C' for the Mavericks if they are unable to sign either Chris Paul or Dwight Howard.

Cousins is entering the final season of his contract before reaching restricted free agency.


http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/n ... aft-rumors
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10251
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Magic Interested In Trading For Eric Bledsoe

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 am

Magic Interested In Trading For Eric Bledsoe

Image

The Orlando Magic are considering Trey Burke with the No. 2 overall pick, but sources say they are not sold on him with that high of a pick and could instead target Eric Bledsoe via tarde.

The Magic would be willing to trade Arron Afflalo for Bledsoe and the expiring contract of Caron Butler.

Afflalo would give the Los Angeles Clippers a more traditional shooting guard to pair with Paul in the backcourt.

With the No. 2 pick, the Magic could then target Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore.


http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/n ... aft-rumors
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10251
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed May 29, 2013 4:08 pm

^^^ Aaron Afflalo alone is really going to give him Bledsoe and the expiring contract of Caron Butler (who isn't that bad of a player still)????

Okay... :man3:
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11663
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Source: Chris Paul Upset With Clippers' Organization

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu May 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Source: Chris Paul Upset With Clippers' Organization

Image

By Chris Broussard | ESPN.com

Chris Paul is upset with the Los Angeles Clippers organization because he is being widely blamed for the firing of Vinny Del Negro as coach, according to a source close to the situation.

How much of an impact this will have on Paul's decision to re-sign with the Clippers as a free agent is not clear, but the source conceded that Paul's anger could lead him to look elsewhere.

"He's angry right now and his anger is directed toward the Clippers organization," the source said. "Chris is a man of principle and if he feels like you've gone against his principles, it will affect how he feels about you. He's very agitated that his name has been put out there as the reason for Vinny's firing. He had nothing to do with it."

It has been widely assumed that Paul will re-sign with the Clippers this summer. He often has spoken as if it's a foregone conclusion.

Plus, the Clippers can offer him a five-year, $108 million deal, $28 million more than any other club. But the source said he would not put it past Paul to turn down more money if he feels strongly that he's been slighted.

Del Negro was fired on May 21 after leading the Clippers to 56 wins, the most successful regular season in franchise history. That same day, Clippers owner Donald Sterling strongly implied in an interview with the Los Angeles Times that Paul and Blake Griffin were to blame for Del Negro's ouster.

Sterling told the Times that Del Negro "is a wonderful man" and that he's "sad about the whole thing."

Sterling was asked by the Times if Del Negro was fired "just to hang on to Chris Paul."

Sterling said: "I always want to be honest and not say anything that is not true. So I'd rather not say anything. But you know, the coach did a really good job. I think he did. And I liked working with him. There are just factors that make life very complicated and very challenging."

The Times then asked Sterling if it was "off base" to say the "players are now calling the shots."

"No, you're not off base," Sterling said. "This is a players' league, and, unfortunately, if you want to win, you have to make the players happy."

Sterling later told the Times, "If you have special players, and special players think that they know the best opportunity to win, you have to support them."

True or not, Del Negro believes Paul got him fired, according to a source close to the Clippers' ex-coach. The source added that Del Negro had no idea during the regular season or the playoffs that Paul wanted him out. During an appearance on "The Dan Patrick Show," Del Negro implied on Thursday that Paul was the reason he was let go.

But a source with knowledge of the situation said Paul refused to get involved in the Clippers' coaching situation and that he wanted nothing to do with the decision to retain or release Del Negro.

"Chris made it abundantly clear to the Clippers that he did not want to be involved in any decision about Vinny's future," the source said. "And Blake had nothing to do with it, either."

The source said the Clippers' front office was at odds with Del Negro for much of the season and that its differences with him were so strong that the executives did not need to consult Paul or any other players when deciding on Del Negro's future with the team.

One divide between Del Negro and the front office stemmed from the fact that the ex-coach made trade calls to other clubs during the season, according to a source. As the February trade deadline neared, the source said Del Negro discussed a potential deal with the Boston Celtics that would have sent DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe to Boston for Kevin Garnett. The rumor became major news around the league, even though the Clippers' front office was staunchly against the trade.

"The front office's feelings about getting rid of Vinny were strong enough that the players didn't need to get involved," a source said.

"The reason Vinny is no longer the Clippers' coach is because the front office didn't think he was the guy that could get them where they were trying to go. The players didn't have anything to do with it."

One source added that Paul is also steering clear of the Clippers' search for a new coach. The Clippers have a short list of current ESPN NBA analyst Jeff Van Gundy, Brian Shaw and Byron Scott, according to a source. They are also considering asking the Nuggets for permission to interview coach George Karl, a source confirmed. Alvin Gentry and Nate McMillan are also candidates, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Paul will be eligible for free agency on July 1. Several clubs will be willing to offer him a maximum-salaried contract. If he wants to leave the Clippers, Paul could also request a sign-and-trade to a team without salary-cap space.

If Paul considers leaving the Clippers, the Atlanta Hawks would be a potential landing spot. Paul always has been fond of the city of Atlanta, and the Hawks have the cap room to sign both Paul and Dwight Howard, a Lakers free agent, to lucrative contracts. Paul and Howard have spoken in the past about joining forces, but once Paul was traded to the Clippers in December 2011 and Howard was moved to the Lakers last summer, the duo figured that possibility was dead.

Howard, an Atlanta native, has been lukewarm at best about the idea of playing in his hometown. But the possibility of playing with Paul likely would get him to rethink his position.


http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... ree-agency

So CP3 is willing to accept less money because of the situation. Come back to the Lakers and stick it to the Clips, Chris.
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10251
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Source: Chris Paul Upset With Clippers' Organization

Postby charvin on Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 pm

That'd be the ultimate middle-finger lifted to Stern.

Kobe8Fan wrote:
Source: Chris Paul Upset With Clippers' Organization

Image

By Chris Broussard | ESPN.com

Chris Paul is upset with the Los Angeles Clippers organization because he is being widely blamed for the firing of Vinny Del Negro as coach, according to a source close to the situation.

How much of an impact this will have on Paul's decision to re-sign with the Clippers as a free agent is not clear, but the source conceded that Paul's anger could lead him to look elsewhere.

"He's angry right now and his anger is directed toward the Clippers organization," the source said. "Chris is a man of principle and if he feels like you've gone against his principles, it will affect how he feels about you. He's very agitated that his name has been put out there as the reason for Vinny's firing. He had nothing to do with it."

It has been widely assumed that Paul will re-sign with the Clippers this summer. He often has spoken as if it's a foregone conclusion.

Plus, the Clippers can offer him a five-year, $108 million deal, $28 million more than any other club. But the source said he would not put it past Paul to turn down more money if he feels strongly that he's been slighted.

Del Negro was fired on May 21 after leading the Clippers to 56 wins, the most successful regular season in franchise history. That same day, Clippers owner Donald Sterling strongly implied in an interview with the Los Angeles Times that Paul and Blake Griffin were to blame for Del Negro's ouster.

Sterling told the Times that Del Negro "is a wonderful man" and that he's "sad about the whole thing."

Sterling was asked by the Times if Del Negro was fired "just to hang on to Chris Paul."

Sterling said: "I always want to be honest and not say anything that is not true. So I'd rather not say anything. But you know, the coach did a really good job. I think he did. And I liked working with him. There are just factors that make life very complicated and very challenging."

The Times then asked Sterling if it was "off base" to say the "players are now calling the shots."

"No, you're not off base," Sterling said. "This is a players' league, and, unfortunately, if you want to win, you have to make the players happy."

Sterling later told the Times, "If you have special players, and special players think that they know the best opportunity to win, you have to support them."

True or not, Del Negro believes Paul got him fired, according to a source close to the Clippers' ex-coach. The source added that Del Negro had no idea during the regular season or the playoffs that Paul wanted him out. During an appearance on "The Dan Patrick Show," Del Negro implied on Thursday that Paul was the reason he was let go.

But a source with knowledge of the situation said Paul refused to get involved in the Clippers' coaching situation and that he wanted nothing to do with the decision to retain or release Del Negro.

"Chris made it abundantly clear to the Clippers that he did not want to be involved in any decision about Vinny's future," the source said. "And Blake had nothing to do with it, either."

The source said the Clippers' front office was at odds with Del Negro for much of the season and that its differences with him were so strong that the executives did not need to consult Paul or any other players when deciding on Del Negro's future with the team.

One divide between Del Negro and the front office stemmed from the fact that the ex-coach made trade calls to other clubs during the season, according to a source. As the February trade deadline neared, the source said Del Negro discussed a potential deal with the Boston Celtics that would have sent DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe to Boston for Kevin Garnett. The rumor became major news around the league, even though the Clippers' front office was staunchly against the trade.

"The front office's feelings about getting rid of Vinny were strong enough that the players didn't need to get involved," a source said.

"The reason Vinny is no longer the Clippers' coach is because the front office didn't think he was the guy that could get them where they were trying to go. The players didn't have anything to do with it."

One source added that Paul is also steering clear of the Clippers' search for a new coach. The Clippers have a short list of current ESPN NBA analyst Jeff Van Gundy, Brian Shaw and Byron Scott, according to a source. They are also considering asking the Nuggets for permission to interview coach George Karl, a source confirmed. Alvin Gentry and Nate McMillan are also candidates, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Paul will be eligible for free agency on July 1. Several clubs will be willing to offer him a maximum-salaried contract. If he wants to leave the Clippers, Paul could also request a sign-and-trade to a team without salary-cap space.

If Paul considers leaving the Clippers, the Atlanta Hawks would be a potential landing spot. Paul always has been fond of the city of Atlanta, and the Hawks have the cap room to sign both Paul and Dwight Howard, a Lakers free agent, to lucrative contracts. Paul and Howard have spoken in the past about joining forces, but once Paul was traded to the Clippers in December 2011 and Howard was moved to the Lakers last summer, the duo figured that possibility was dead.

Howard, an Atlanta native, has been lukewarm at best about the idea of playing in his hometown. But the possibility of playing with Paul likely would get him to rethink his position.


http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... ree-agency

So CP3 is willing to accept less money because of the situation. Come back to the Lakers and stick it to the Clips, Chris.
charvin

 
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Center Court on Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 pm

^^^ he's not taking $3MM

He's not leaving. They are going to upgrade their coach, improve the team, and Chris will be happy.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3168
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri May 31, 2013 12:45 am

CP3 probably didn't tell them straight up to fire VDL, but if he wanted Vinny there he would be.

I cant believe Im saying it, but I believe Sterling here. He's a despicable man, but he sounds like he was fine with Vinny. More importantly we all know he's very cheap, and while I dont know how much Vinny made, now that they supposedly have to go after a "big name" coach, you gotta think its gonna cost more than if they had kept Vinny.

Then again that's probably why Sterling sounds so sad to see him go. :man10: :man10:
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

- 24
User avatar
Tobias Funke

 
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 31, 2013 9:13 am

3 years 9.3 million. Amnesty Artest. Trade Gasol for athletic pieces.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40320
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 am

Umm, come for mini-MLE, then sign for max in 2014. :man8:
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9887
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby khmrP on Fri May 31, 2013 9:26 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Umm, come for mini-MLE, then sign for max in 2014. :man8:


dont work that way....Paul has to be with a team for certain amt of year before he can qualify for that bird exception so he can get max even with a team already over the cap.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 am

khmrP wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:Umm, come for mini-MLE, then sign for max in 2014. :man8:


dont work that way....Paul has to be with a team for certain amt of year before he can qualify for that bird exception so he can get max even with a team already over the cap.

It's three years which is the exact amount needed for full Bird Rights.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40320
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby ThaEntrepreneur on Fri May 31, 2013 11:42 am

I think LA is gonna amnesty MWP, and end up trading Gasol for a lotto pick. It's a bummer we got a broken down Steve Nash; we're stuck with him. We need athletes!! This team is a mess.
ThaEntrepreneur

 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Chillbongo on Fri May 31, 2013 12:42 pm

1)MWP amnesty for sure

2)Gasol situation extremely uncertain due to uncertainty on Dwight situation

3)What are the details of the stretch provision? Can we use this on Nash
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3249
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.