Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvement: Free Agents Now and Later?

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:50 am

Blazers want to deal 10th pick?

By Nick Borges | ESPN.com

The Portland Trail Blazers currently own the No. 10 selection in the first round of the 2013 NBA draft, but there is a chance they are going to trade it.

From John Canzano of The Oregonian: "Maybe it's gamesmanship. Maybe it's good poker strategy. But the whisper coming from One Center Court in recent days has been that Portland isn't currently enamored by any one player and if they were drafting today they'd deal the pick."

The Blazers are a young team, so if true, general manager Neil Olshey obviously thinks it's best to seek out veterans than to add another rookie to the squad next season.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford has Portland taking Lehigh's C.J. McCollum with the 10th pick in his Mock Draft 4.0.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:22 am

lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:1. You're asking a pseudo star to sign a short term contract so we can dump them? Why would we do that?

2. You know Kobe is coming off of an Achilles tear right? He's not going to be outperforming ANY stars for a while.

Well, if you're correct about #2 then we won't be doing #1. If Kobe isn't able to play at a superstar level when he comes back, he's going to retire no doubt about it.. So obviously we'd hang on to Granger. Wall/Rondo - Granger - D12, I'll take it.. I suppose it's a bit premature to be discussing either item until we see how they do coming back from their injuries.

well that's been my point elsewhere. It's not so much that the Lakers need to leave Kobe behind, but they've got to make decisions based on the assumption that he won't return the same player. It's the only way to be prepared for that scenario. If they don't pick up a wing player who can create this off-season somehow, then we're screwed if Kobe doesn't return to form.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:31 am

Doc Brown wrote:

The Portland Trail Blazers currently own the No. 10 selection in the first round of the 2013 NBA draft, but there is a chance they are going to trade it.

From John Canzano of The Oregonian: "Maybe it's gamesmanship. Maybe it's good poker strategy. But the whisper coming from One Center Court in recent days has been that Portland isn't currently enamored by any one player and if they were drafting today they'd deal the pick."

The Blazers are a young team, so if true, general manager Neil Olshey obviously thinks it's best to seek out veterans than to add another rookie to the squad next season.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford has Portland taking Lehigh's C.J. McCollum with the 10th pick in his Mock Draft 4.0.

It's my understanding that Portland will never trade with us. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am

If CP3 would like to stay in L.A. and ultimately be a Laker, what are the chances that agents and execs have cursory discussions about the possibility of that, Paul signs a one year deal with the Clips, then signs a big contract with the Lakers after next season?
Alleyhoops

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 am

Alleyhoops wrote:If CP3 would like to stay in L.A. and ultimately be a Laker, what are the chances that agents and execs have cursory discussions about the possibility of that, Paul signs a one year deal with the Clips, then signs a big contract with the Lakers after next season?

The chances are roughly equivalent to winning the lottery I'd think. He has an injury history and this could be his last chance at a huge paycheck. It'd take a special kind of player/confidence to sign a 3 year deal over a 118 million dollar one. I don't think I've ever heard of that.

But obviously that would be awesome. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

#10 + Batum & any contracts they want us to take on for Pau.. I'd be all over that. A LMA/Pau frontcourt would be impossible to guard.

For the numbers to work (unless Portland wants to take on salary) it would have to be something like Batum + Matthews & probably a contract they don't want, which I guess would only be Jeffries. He only makes 1.4M but he's locked up for 2 more seasons & doesn't look like he belongs in the league.. If the deal also involves the #10 pick, Portland would be giving up way too much for Pau, but I could see this working as a 3 team deal. 3rd team gets Wes + #10, sends Portland a player they deem worthy of that package & sends us a hopefully decent guard making around 6-7M. I'd take Batum for Pau straight up so if we get another rotation guy in the deal that's a bonus imo. Batum is about the best 2 way SF we're going to get this side of Lebron & Paul George.

I can see Portland having interest in this type of deal if they can upgrade Batum & Matthews to 2 more experienced players who are ready to contribute for a contender now. 1 team that I think would want Wes & the #10 & has the pieces to help us pull this off is Orlando.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lj7p7op

Pau & Afflalo are very good pieces to compliment LMA & Lillard & give them a shot at becoming a 2nd tier playoff team. The Magic know they aren't winning anytime soon so swapping Afflalo for a younger Matthews makes sense for them, they also get the #10 & a decent stopgap at PG that they only have to pay for 1 season in Blake. I'm not a big fan of Nelson but he expires after this season & hopefully his history with Dwight would help him find a niche here.
lakersin4

Bucks Offered Two-Year Extension To Monta

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Bucks Offered Two-Year Extension To Monta

By Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel

Monta Ellis will take the first step in the Milwaukee Bucks’ free agent dance when he decides whether to opt in for the final year of his contract or become an unrestricted free agent.

Ellis and his agent Jeffrey Fried face a June 20 deadline to make their decision.

Ellis is owed $11 million in the final year of a six-year, $66 million deal he signed while a member of the Golden State Warriors.

But the contract has a player option for the 2013-’14 season and he can choose to end the deal. If he does, Ellis will be a free agent on July 1.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has learned that discussions were held to extend Ellis’ deal with the Bucks but no agreement was reached.

As part of the discussions the Bucks offered the 27-year-old guard a two-year extension through the 2015-’16 season, resulting in a total package of nearly $36 million over three years, according to a source. Ellis would have been required to opt in to get the additional two years on the deal.

That includes the opt-in first year at $11 million, with annual raises bringing the total to $11.8 million in the second year of the deal and $13 million in the final year.

The average salary in the deal would have been about $12 million.

Ellis would have received some protection against injury with a three-year deal while also having the chance to be a free agent at the age of 30. But he may be interested in testing the market now.

Yahoo Sports recently reported that Ellis plans to opt out of his contract and could be interested in the Sacramento Kings, who hired former Golden State assistant Mike Malone as their new coach after undergoing an ownership change.

Ellis worked under Malone’s tutelage in Oakland while playing for the Warriors.

Ellis finished as the Bucks’ leading scorer last season, averaging 19.2 points to go along with 6.0 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 2.1 steals. Ellis played in all 82 games for the first time in his pro career and was the only Bucks player to accomplish the feat last season.

The 6-foot-3 guard ranked 11th in the league in scoring and fourth in steals.

Ellis played both the point guard and shooting guard spots for the Bucks, getting extended time at the point after the Bucks acquired J.J. Redick in a February trade deadline deal with Orlando.

A native of Jackson, Miss., Ellis was acquired by the Bucks in March 2012 in a trade that also brought forward-center Ekpe Udoh to Milwaukee and sent center Andrew Bogut to the Warriors.

Ellis averaged 14.3 points, 5.5 assists and 2.5 steals in four playoff games against Miami as the Bucks were swept in a first-round series.

The Bucks face an unsettled backcourt situation this summer with starting point guard Brandon Jennings becoming a restricted free agent and Redick set to be an unrestricted free agent.

Milwaukee also could look for backcourt help in the June 27 draft and already has worked out several candidates, including Miami point guard Shane Larkin, 19-year-old German point guard Dennis Schroeder, shooting guard Glen Rice Jr. and Michigan shooting guard Tim Hardaway
Jr.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/210607001.html
Kobe8Fan

David West: 'I Can't See Myself' Leaving Pacers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:33 pm

David West: 'I Can't See Myself' Leaving Pacers

Tom Haberstroh ‏@tomhaberstroh

David West on his impending free agency: "This is my group. These are my guys. I can't see myself going anywhere else."

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/statu ... 1735109635
Kobe8Fan

J.R. Smith To Opt Out, Likely To Re-Sign With Knicks

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:34 pm

J.R. Smith To Opt Out, Likely To Re-Sign With Knicks

By Jared Zwerling | Special to ESPNNewYork.com

J.R. Smith will not opt in with the New York Knicks, declining his player option of $2.9 million, a league source confirmed with ESPNNewYork.com.

Smith will officially announce the decision before June 30, making him an unrestricted free agent.

It was reported by the New York Post last month that Smith was "expected" to opt out. The Knicks can re-sign Smith for $4.9 million using the Early Bird exception, with standard raises over four years.

Another league source said it's "likely" Smith will re-sign with the Knicks come free agency (starting July 1), putting their roster at eight players under contract for next season. That number could extend to 10 players if New York re-signs Pablo Prigioni and Chris Copeland, who both have qualifying offers of $988,872. If they don't accept the offers by June 30, they will become restricted free agents.

Smith is coming off his best season in his nine-year NBA career. He averaged 18.1 points and 5.3 rebounds in 33 minutes per game off the bench, helping lead the Knicks to 54 wins -- their most since 1999-2000. However, he struggled in the postseason, averaging 14.3 points on only 33.1 percent shooting, but he did play through fluid in his left knee.

In favor of the Knicks keeping Smith is his close relationship with Carmelo Anthony (from their Denver Nuggets days together) and coach Mike Woodson, who helped push the 27-year-old into 2013's Sixth Man Award winner.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_ ... ource-says
Kobe8Fan

Paul George Hoping For Max Contract

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Paul George Hoping For Max Contract

Paul George will become eligible for a contract extension this offseason and would become a restricted free agent in the 2014 offseason if a deal with the Indiana Pacers is reached.

“I would hope," George said when asked about getting a maximum contract. “I would hope. Max guys get the job done at this time (the playoffs).’’

George said he is clearly focusing on the playoffs at this point.

“I haven’t really put my mind to that right now,’’ said George. “I really want to focus on what’s at the plate now."

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/nba/mia ... eedID=3720
Kobe8Fan

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:17 pm

He'll get the max. They will build around George and Hibbert; their both young, skilled, 2 way players only getting better in this league. They might not be able to afford West, though. I think a team like Atlanta will overpay for West's services. Nevertheless, George isn't leaving Indiana.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 am

So I went to Knotts Berry Farm today & I happened to bump into Corey Brewer! I shook his hand & took a photo with him. Some dude asked him "Are you coming to the Lakers?" & his response was "I wish" :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby kobe_008 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:20 am

id be happy if he came with McGhee +chandler :jam2:
kobe_008

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 am

GoldenKnight wrote:So I went to Knotts Berry Farm today & I happened to bump into Corey Brewer! I shook his hand & took a photo with him. Some dude asked him "Are you coming to the Lakers?" & his response was "I wish" :man10:

Would love if we signed him.. He's at the top of my list of available wings this offseason. Denver seems to have no interest in retaining him.. He isn't the best shooter but as an athlete & defender, he's exactly the type of role player we're missing.
lakersin4

Postby XXIV on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 am

GoldenKnight wrote:So I went to Knotts Berry Farm today & I happened to bump into Corey Brewer! I shook his hand & took a photo with him. Some dude asked him "Are you coming to the Lakers?" & his response was "I wish" :man10:

Hopefully he would be willing to take the mini-MLE. He's the exact type of player we need, someone who can defend, shoot, and run the floor.
XXIV

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:21 pm

CJ Watson Will Opt Out, Become a Free Agent

The Quiet Storm intends to opt out of his $1.1 million player option in order to become a free agent this summer, according to Peter Vecsey:

Solid backup PG, wish we could have got him last season but it looks like we'll have another shot.
lakersin4

Postby XXIV on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:33 pm

^ Would much rather have him over Morris. Part of me thinks the Lakers will bring him back though. :scurred:
XXIV

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:19 pm

XXIV wrote:^ Would much rather have him over Morris. Part of me thinks the Lakers will bring him back though. :scurred:

Give me any PG in the NBA over Morris, I'm serious anyone...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby XXIV on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:53 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:
XXIV wrote:^ Would much rather have him over Morris. Part of me thinks the Lakers will bring him back though. :scurred:

Give me any PG in the NBA over Morris, I'm serious anyone...

Challenge accepted!

...and failed.
XXIV

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Will Bynum - G - Pistons The Knicks and Lakers are expressing interest in Will Bynum, according to Vincent Ellis of the Detroit Free Press.
Both clubs are in desperate need of youth and scoring in the backcourt and Bynum represents exactly that. The pending free agent averaged 9.8 points and 3.6 assists in less than 19 minutes per game this season. He's stated a desire to return to the Pistons but a hefty raise could convince him to leave Detroit. It should be noted that either team's interest in Bynum could change depending on how the draft plays out and any report before then should be taken with a large grain of salt. Bynum's also been linked to the Wizards as a backup to John Wall. Related: Lakers, Knicks
Source: Vincent Ellis on Twitter
A Bynum in the Lakers uni next year?

I remember a game where he torched us a few years back other than that I don't know much about him.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 pm

He's your typical wild card type guy. He's very small, but can be explosive at times. Okay shooter and okay passer, but plays with a chip on his shoulder.

I'd take him for a good price.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Will Bynum had a fall out in Detroit. I think he had some scuffle with Tyler Hansborough and just disappeared after that.

If he'll come at half mini-MLE, sure, why not.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:16 pm

This only makes sense if Blake is on the move. Bynum nor Blake can play the 2.....

Unless you are MDA or Mike Brown and put him at the 2 to get smoked and tell us it works.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Signing Bynum makes no sense. We don't need a 5'9 point guard. Blake filled in nicely last year. Would rather see us go after an athletic 2/3 guard.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Center Court on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:37 pm

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:Signing Bynum makes no sense. We don't need a 5'9 point guard. Blake filled in nicely last year. Would rather see us go after an athletic 2/3 guard.

Unless we can trade Blake. He's def upped his value since last season started so maybe it's a sell high situation where we could get an athletic 3 for him.

I've posted this before, but Blake/Duhon for Ariza would be a favorable trade for both sides. Wash needs a back up PG and Blake is familiar to the city/franchise. Duhon can be dumped to save salary. Ariza comes back home, again. Then we could use the mMLE for a back up pg and then round out with vet min contracts like Morrow, Captain Jack, Ronnie Brewer, Dunleavy, etc.

If we are going to keep Blake, then let's go after C. Brewer first and then round out with shooters. If and when Brewer gets more elsewhere, Dorrell Wright.
Center Court

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion