Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Teams that could want Pau should be teams that are either: in win-now mode and lack "size" - looking for expirings to clear space.
Problem with teams looking for expirings is that they naturally want to dump contracts, and we ain't taking any.
We need to find some team that can offer picks and maybe a few assets / expirings, and that obviously wants a big like Pau.
So, who could that be? Realistically?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby bnr034 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Greg oden for cheap?
bnr034

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Finwë wrote:Teams that could want Pau should be teams that are either: in win-now mode and lack "size" - looking for expirings to clear space.
Problem with teams looking for expirings is that they naturally want to dump contracts, and we ain't taking any.
We need to find some team that can offer picks and maybe a few assets / expirings, and that obviously wants a big like Pau.
So, who could that be? Realistically?

Honestly I disagree. I think what we're going to see is a lot of teams tanking right away and a few teams tanking later when they realize they're not going to be great.

Some team somewhere is going to want to unload at the deadline a guy who's VERY good, so good that they're making them mediocre when they really should suck. Who? I'm not sure right now.

I'd say Rondo probably will be available at some point, but I don't know if expirings will do it. Maybe Love if he demands out. Maybe a Rudy Gay or a Demar Derozan. Maybe an Eric Gordon. Maybe... Granger?

I don't know right now I'm not that focused. But those are the guys who I see the Lakers pulling the trigger on. Young types that have talent. We're not going to get picks because teams that want expirings are trying to clear room for a rebuild and they want picks too. We're going to look to snatch a good young talent so that we have something to build on faster.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Well we subtracted Dwight. That's a pretty big subtraction when you think about it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:16 pm

So this is our roster so far

C Pau/ Sacre
PF Hill/Ryan Kelly
SF ???/???
SG Kobe/ Meeks
PG Nash/Blake

We need a minimum of 13 and we have 8...probably will add 14 since Kobe is out

Hopefully no more Morris

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby gill on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:18 pm

The Rock wrote:So this is our roster so far

C Pau/ Sacre
PF Hill/Ryan Kelly
SF ???/???
SG Kobe/ Meeks
PG Nash/Blake

Hopefully no more Morris

Good God! We have no SF's??? :freak2:

Anyway, Lamar, Ronny, and Kenyon to fill out 3 of the 5 spots? Need a PG to backup Blake since Nash will miss games at some point next year.
gill

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Sasha cures all :man1:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Speaking of no SF, what GSW planning to do with both Barnes and Iggy? Keep Barnes off the bench?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:21 pm

C Pau/ Sacre
PF Hill/Ryan Kelly
SF ???/???
SG Kobe/ Meeks
PG Nash/Blake

Hopefully no more Morris

We still have MWP under contract, so technically it's 9 if we are keeping Kelly and Sacre accepts the offer. The Lakers were going to amnesty him, but with Dwight gone and so many roster spots to fill, maybe they just keep him? Still, 7 mil, 14 mil because of luxury taxes for him, he might be amnestied after all and given a cheap replacement. All I know is, for the love of God don't bring back Morris. Bring back Glock if you want, but PLEASE no Morris.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:14 am

C Pau/ Sacre
PF Hill/Ryan Kelly
SF ???/???
SG Kobe/ Meeks
PG Nash/Blake

Hopefully no more Morris

Just imagine that by the time when our senior citizens Nash (40), Kobe (35) and Pau (33) get injured, we'll be putting out a D-League team.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:40 am

Here's how we rebuild really quick..

Well I'll start with the free agent additions I want this summer that will carry over to next years team. Collison mini mle, Byron Mullens, Nick Young, Morrow for the minimum. Trade Nash for a young SF that can split minutes with Young & a 3rd string PG better than Morris.

Collison/Blake/(Nash Trade)
Kobe/Morrow/Meeks
(Nash Trade)/Young
Hill/R-Kelly
Pau/Mullens/Sacre

Fast foward to next summer.. Instead of taking the superstar or bust approach I try to build a more balanced team. We go get the all important rim protector in Larry Sanders.. He doesn't put up huge stats & isn't really a star type player, so I'm hoping we get him for much less than the max.. Say 8-9M. If Kobe comes back cheap maybe he can talk Pau into it too, because Sanders would be a great fit as the PF/C next to Pau.

The position we really need to focus on next summer is SF. So many good SF's that could hit the market.. Besides the obvious Lebron & Melo, there's a ton of young potential or already stars that could become available. Paul George, Leonard, Harrison Barnes, Thompson, Parsons, Jimmy Butler, MKG. Hopefully we get lucky & 1 of them is unhappy or just wants the spotlight of being a star for the Lakers. For the sake of me still being mad we didn't get him in S&T for Dwight, I'll say Harrison Barnes gets frustrated backing up Iggy & tells them not to pick up his option. Assuming he's a 16/6 player then like he was in the playoffs, we get him for 9-10M similar to how Deng's deal was.

Bring Jordan Hill back around the same price, 4M.

So we look like:

Kobe 12M
Barnes 9M
Sanders 8M
Pau 6M
Hill 4M
Collison 3.2M

& hopefully still have Mullens, Young, & Morrow signed at the minimum. Roughly 45M with a good looking roster.

Collison/?
Kobe/Morrow
Barnes/Young
Pau/Mullens
Sanders/Hill

I'd fill out the rest of the roster with the best players we can get to sign 2 year contracts with the 2nd year being team options so that we can let them walk & go after Kevin Love in 2015. That would be quite the turnaround.

Collison/Kobe/Barnes/Love/Sanders is a great starting lineup imo. Loaded bench with Morrow, Young, Mullens, Hill, maybe even Pau still hanging around. Obviously we'd need to find a PG to split time with Collison but I think he's a good enough starter considering the rest of the team.

I realize I left the rookie out of all of this but considering we haven't seem him play a game yet I just left him out because he might not be on the roster by next year.
lakersin4

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:51 am

Ok, but why does Nick Young go from making 5.6 million to taking the minimum for us? Why does Mullens go from making 2.25 million and having a pretty good season to the minimum for us? Does Morrow go from 4 mil to the minimum for us? These are nice suggestions, but I just can't see it, with the way players are getting paid right now I can't see these guys settling for the minimum to come here. The mini-MLE is a little more realistic, but we can only give that full 3 mil or whatever it is to one player.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:54 am

Damn I didn't know the Hawks got Paul Milsaps and they're about to get Pekovic as well
chingy248

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:02 am

We're not a playoff team and we don't have Dwight Howard, why would Collison come here?

Why would Nick Young sign for the minimum?

Byron Mullens is still 7 feet tall, I'm sure he can get an offer better than the minimum.

Morrow has interest from multiple teams, I'm sure he could do better than compete with Jodie Meeks on a non-contender.

Who wants Steve Nash? He's expensive, injury prone, and coming off of his worst season ever. No one would give up a young SF AND a young PG for him. You'd be lucky to get an overpriced veteran for him.

I don't think a single one of those guys becomes available and if they do it's as a restricted free agent. In fact Kawhi Leonard, Thompson, Barnes, Butler, and Kidd-Gilchrist are all Team Options, so they're DEFINITELY not available.

The Sanders idea is a decent one though. The problem is that it means 8-9 million dedicated to a player that takes up space so that we don't have a chance to sign better players.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:09 am

Who else is kind of excited to see Nash, Kobe, Pau play - provided they are healthy? For the first time in many years, Kobe doesn't need to feed 2 big men.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:36 am

I think for the mini-MLE I'd target just the most talented/youngest guy I could find. Here's some of the young FAs I think fit that mold:

Darren Collison, DJ Augustin, Wayne Ellington, Gary Neal, Wesley Johnson, Randy Foye, Nick Young, Tyrus Thomas, Jason Maxiell, and Byron Mullens.

A few aren't that young, but most of these guys I'd take a chance with my mini-MLE on. A guy like Nick Young or Wesley Johnson who's very talented, but missing a mentor like Kobe to turn them into a well-rounded player. One or two of these guys might be minimum contracts, who knows?

If I could get Nick Young, Wesley Johnson, or Byron Mullens for the mini-MLE I wouldn't hesitate. That's a steal.

Then with minimum contracts I try to get to guys like:
Cartier Martin, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Wayne Ellington, Ronnie Brewer, Carlos Delfino, Francisco Garcia, Sam Young, Chris Wilcox, Jeff Pendergraph, DeSagana Diop, and Jason Collins.

If our team next season looked like one of these:

Nash/Blake
Bryant/N. Young
Garcia/S. Young
Hill/Kelly
Gasol/Sacre

Nash/Blake
Bryant/Ellington
Johnson/Delfino
Hill/Kelly
Gasol/Sacre

Nash/Blake
Bryant/Ellington
Garcia/R. Brewer
Mullens/Hill/Kelly
Gasol/Sacre

I'd have some fun watching those teams. They wouldn't be great, but they'd have heart. And hopefully what you find with the mini-MLE is a diamond that can be shaped up and given a better contract eventually. I think those three could really be that although Johnson might be out of our range, and I know he likes Phoenix.

Anyway. That's what we've got to look forward to from the free agent pool this summer. At best.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:54 am

Losing Earl becomes a much bigger blow now that we're in rebuilding mode. He was the most talented young player we had.. Hill is good but I think he is what he is, there's not much upside. but he's a good piece to keep around for a long time. Collison, Young, or Mullens for the mini mle along with the rookie being good would be a good start.
lakersin4

Postby TheOp on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:59 am

Why does anyone think we would sign Collison for the MMLE. Hel get more then that. Id rather sign an athletic SF that can shoot or maybe two. Sign Odom and Sasha for vet min, amnesty MWP. We now have an offense free from black holes.

Nash/Sasha
Kobe/Meeks
NEW SF/NEW SF
Pau/Odom/Kelly
Hill/Odom/Kelly

Clark wasnt really a great fit at SF. Not quite mobile enough and not a good enough jump shot to space the floor. SF is such a bad weakness for us, we literally have nobody and now that Dwights gone I wish we could rid of MWP and run some kind of formidable offense for once. I want to copy the Spurs formula from last year minus the late game choking.
TheOp

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:06 am

Real, believe, you don't want DeSagana Diop and Jason Collins. Statistically, you could argue they're both top 5 worst player of all-time (specially Collins), at least between players who've actually played a decent amount of time in the NBA.

Just as a small example of Collins, there's only four centers (five players of 6'11 or more) in NBA history who have played at least 300 games and avarages less than 6.5 rebounds per 36 minutes. Jason Collins is one of them (by the way, Ryan Hollins is another one, and the one guy who is over 6'11 but not a center that fits this list is Andrea Bargnani).

Collins is also a top 10 in the worst scorers per minute in NBA history (and Diop is even worse here).
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby TSpence26 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:11 am

How about trade Nash for a 1st and sign Derek Fisher lol
TSpence26

Postby kenzo on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:25 am

TSpence26 wrote:How about trade Nash for a 1st and sign Derek Fisher lol

He agreed to come back with OKC :man10:
kenzo

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:24 am

Who else is excited for our new upcoming personnel? Let's get some diamond in the rough and turn them into stars :man9:

My bet is on the rookie...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:19 am

ESPN's Marc Stein says the Mavericks interest in free agent C Andrew Bynum is "legit" and adds "they ARE pursuing him."
chingy248

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:59 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:Real, believe, you don't want DeSagana Diop and Jason Collins. Statistically, you could argue they're both top 5 worst player of all-time (specially Collins), at least between players who've actually played a decent amount of time in the NBA.

Just as a small example of Collins, there's only four centers (five players of 6'11 or more) in NBA history who have played at least 300 games and avarages less than 6.5 rebounds per 36 minutes. Jason Collins is one of them (by the way, Ryan Hollins is another one, and the one guy who is over 6'11 but not a center that fits this list is Andrea Bargnani).

Collins is also a top 10 in the worst scorers per minute in NBA history (and Diop is even worse here).

Bodies are bodies are bodies man. You get a 7 foot body and you don't look back.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:03 am

chingy248 wrote:
ESPN's Marc Stein says the Mavericks interest in free agent C Andrew Bynum is "legit" and adds "they ARE pursuing him."

Please Cuban, pay Mr Bynum hansomely in the 15m range and tie up your cap for years while he sits in rehab or on the bench with his chronic grandpa knees. Please.
Do it Mark.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion