Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Who the f*** is questioning anyone's fanhood? :man10:

The reason I'm upset is because I'm being told it's unreasonable for me to be excited about having Douglas-Roberts on the team. I never said he'd be a great fit, he'd defend, he'd score points, he'd do this or that. I just like him as a person and player, why can't I be excited about it?

Why is my appreciation of him being mocked? Am I not allowed to like having a guy on the team even if he's not great?

Because newsflash: I like Sacre A LOT. And he REALLY sucks.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:17 pm

wallangong wrote:for the last time, where are these players who have "done something?" did you not see how this discussion started? excuse people for being excited at the prospect of CDR over Raja Bell.

I'd take Maggette for the minimum over CDR.

And damn, no one's trying to rain on anyone's parade. You guys are expressing your opinion that CDR could be a good pick-up. I'm expressing my opinion that while he could pan out as a good pick up, history suggests that he's not a rotation player in the NBA at this point in his career.
Helljumper

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm

And that's fine for you to say, but that's not what khmrp was saying. And if it was, it's not how he presented it.

Anyway moving on: Maggette over Douglas-Roberts? No way, man. Not only is he much older, but he's fallen completely off talent-wise. He can't shoot well anymore, he's not as athletic as he used to be, and his numbers show it. He was worse than Douglas-Roberts last season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 pm

therealdeal wrote:And that's fine for you to say, but that's not what khmrp was saying. And if it was, it's not how he presented it.

Anyway moving on: Maggette over Douglas-Roberts? No way, man. Not only is he much older, but he's fallen completely off talent-wise. He can't shoot well anymore, he's not as athletic as he used to be, and his numbers show it. He was worse than Douglas-Roberts last season.

I honestly had no idea he was even in the league last season. Guess that illustrates your point. :man10:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:28 pm

I would not take Maggette over CDR, I go with still young and has potential over old and pretty much done. IMO Maggette throwing his body around to get to the FT line ala Wade and Iverson has worn him down quicker, just like those guys.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby TSpence26 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:36 pm

TSpence26

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:Who the f*** is questioning anyone's fanhood? :man10:

The reason I'm upset is because I'm being told it's unreasonable for me to be excited about having Douglas-Roberts on the team. I never said he'd be a great fit, he'd defend, he'd score points, he'd do this or that. I just like him as a person and player, why can't I be excited about it?

Why is my appreciation of him being mocked? Am I not allowed to like having a guy on the team even if he's not great?

Because newsflash: I like Sacre A LOT. And he REALLY sucks.

Do you know what it means to be a fan? Or to build a team? Every signing isn't going to be a home run. You know that. So what if he's not great? He's a role player. He's a bench player. He's a good person. We should be allowed to be excited without getting ridiculed by a fan who doesn't share the same thoughts.

I get it. You like CDR. He had a good pre-season for us, seems like a cool guy with a great work ethic, and he has Kobe's support. It also really sucks that he was screwed out of a great opportunity with us just because Mitch messed up and gave Ebanks a guaranteed deal. It would be a great story if he came on board with us and was finally able to make a name for himself as a quality NBA player.

If as a fan, you're allowed to be excited for those reasons ... as a fan, I should be able to fundamentally disagree with your opinion from the standpoint of trying to build a solid NBA team and wisely managing our roster spots. If I happened to be a huge fan of Josh Powell and posted about how badly I wanted Mitch to bring him back for personal reasons, I'd understand if people who strongly disagreed and would rather give that spot to LO bashed my opinion. No one's mocking you or saying it's flat out unreasonable (I didn't see any mockery or demeaning presentation from khmr's posts either). We're just pointing out that your enthusiasm for CDR as a person isn't necessarily grounded in any precedence of CDR being a good NBA player who would fit our team. That seems to be something that you're willing to admit so I don't know what the argument is. :man10:

Maggette was coasting on his large contract on some of the worst teams in the NBA the past few years. Even still, he shot 36% from three and put up decent scoring numbers on the past couple of teams he actually got playing time on (Yes, he was inefficient with Charlotte ... but he was asked to be the #1 option and had the defense's full attention). His numbers in Detroit don't mean anything. He wasn't a rotation player at all and only played garbage minutes during a few games. I think that was more due to Detroit trying to develop their youth than any indication of Maggette's talent. If he wants to keep playing and he's motivated to come back to LA, yes, I think he could help us out more on a one year minimum deal than CDR.
Helljumper

Postby khmrP on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:And that's fine for you to say, but that's not what khmrp was saying. And if it was, it's not how he presented it.

how is this any different then me questionning CDR when your seem to be doing same thing here in regards to Maggette? Again not to challenge your love of CDR or anything but neither did anything in the league last season
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Everyone is entitled to your opinion. There's a massive difference between:
"I like CDR." "I dont like CDR."

and

"I like CDR." "Why would anyone care about a scrub?"

Its a pretty plain difference. If you choose not see it that's your problem, not mine. Ive voiced my opinion and Ive tried to move on. If you'd like to continue this discussion feel free but Ive already communicated what I'd like to communicate.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 46s
Kobe on the Lakers team needs: "Length, speed was an issue for us. Being able to cover ground."
Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 12s
The Chicago Bulls have officially waived Richard Hamilton, per press release.
Expand

Another player over 6 foot that could play the 2.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Orlando Woolridge's son Renaldo is on the Lakers' summer league team.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Expand

I don't really want Rip, too old, too injury prone. I know we can't be picky, but I'd rather have Sasha.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:07 pm

rip's body has betrayed him. i'd rather take sasha also, + the nostalgia factor.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Expand

I'm really not that into Hamilton... I'm pretty sure he's cooked.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:17 pm

I'd rather have Sasha as well if it means anything. :man6:
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Apparently we can't have Sasha AND Farmar though? :man3:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:Apparently we can't have Sasha AND Farmar though? :man3:

That's why I said here is another guy over 6 foot we could have. Right now we are running the midget backcourt.

Nash / Farmar
Blake / Meeks

Can we at least get one person that has some Mike Brown length at those spots?
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:24 pm

I dread the 2 PG lineups we're going to see this season if we don't add a bigger guard like Sasha (or Nick Young?). I've said this too much already, but I cannot stand seeing Blake at SG, struggling to guard the opposing SG, being put in that position to look bad and fail when he shouldn't be.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Completely agree. It's fine if you are running CP3/Billups 2 PG lineup, for example, because Billups can handle that role. Blake just isn't a two guard and it shows every time he gets matched up against a legit 2. Same with Meeks to a certain extent.
Doc Brown

Postby chingy248 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Andrew Bynum has decided to join the Cleveland Cavaliers.

His deal with the Cavs will include $6 million of $12 million guaranteed in the first year, then there will be a team option of $12.5 million for 2014-15. It's a decent reward-to-risk ratio for the Cavs with the deal, which is saying something since Bynum didn't work out for teams during this free agency period. He will be reunited with coach Mike Brown from their Laker days and the Cavs have a pretty impressive roster compared to last season with Bynum, Anthony Bennett, Jarrett Jack and Earl Clark. Of course, there will be tremendous concern about how their team needs to stay healthy. As for fantasy, if you're willing to gamble, Bynum could pay dividends in the late-middle rounds of drafts.

chingy248

Postby chingy248 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Mike Brown
Earl Clark
Luke Walton
Andrew Bynum

:jam2:
chingy248

Postby chingy248 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:35 pm

The Rockets signed Reggie Williams to a two-year contract at the veteran minimum.
chingy248

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:38 pm

chingy248 wrote:Mike Brown
Earl Clark
Luke Walton
Andrew Bynum

:jam2:

@KamBrothers: Say this much about Mike Brown. The man does not hold grudges. AK
Weezy
CL Global Moderator