Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:10 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
The Rock wrote:You guys still think this team is gonna be competitive huh? Lol

Look at a team like Indiana, Memphis.

They're not build around stars, they're built around chemistry.

Some stars may have emerged from those teams, but you never really thought a second beforehand.

And...we have Kobe. :jam2:

Indiana plays in the (L)east and Memphis has a pretty talented squad who are young. Our talent is either old/injured and our young guys arent very good lol

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Well, it could be -- competitive but not contend -- if we added LO, were able to trade Blake and Meeks for Ariza, and added Nate or Bynum, Delonte, and Capt Jack or Sam Young for the minimum.

Nash, Nate or Bynum, Farmar
Kobe, Nick Young, Delonte, (Ariza)
Ariza, Sam Young or Jack, (Nick Young)
LO, Hill, Kelly
Gasol, Caveman, Sacre

Roster of 14 with lots of guys who can play multiple positions, play together, and shoot shoot shoot....just like MDA likes it (esp if you are talking about Nate and Capt. Jack -who love to chuck).

Did Speights re-sign with the Grizz?
Last edited by tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:15 pm

^ Speights signed with the Warriors.
XXIV

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:17 pm

What??? Oh boy. Those guys are stacked this year. They may actually be better than the Clips and OKC -- with Speights, Rush coming back, and now Iggy. WOW
tigerjeterkobe

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:18 pm

So Young is gonna be our small forward according to Mitch

I guess we're gonna rolll with Nash/Blake/Farmar/Meeks until Kobe comes back

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

^^ They'll definitely be better this season, now Bogut just needs to stay relative healthy.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:28 pm

XXIV wrote:I'll take Brewer and W. Johnson for the SF sports, LO/KMart at the PF. I'd be happy if we could get just one of these guys, two would be amazing.

I included Wesley Johnson because he's one of my favorites, but I think he's out of our range by quite a bit. I see Phoenix bringing him back for 3-4 million dollars.

From my list I'd love to get James Johnson, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Lamar Odom. I think that really fills out our team nicely for the situation we're in.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

therealdeal wrote:
XXIV wrote:I'll take Brewer and W. Johnson for the SF sports, LO/KMart at the PF. I'd be happy if we could get just one of these guys, two would be amazing.

I included Wesley Johnson because he's one of my favorites, but I think he's out of our range by quite a bit. I see Phoenix bringing him back for 3-4 million dollars.

From my list I'd love to get James Johnson, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Lamar Odom. I think that really fills out our team nicely for the situation we're in.

I'm hoping Kobe can convince Wesley to come here for the minimum. They share the same agent and have some connection back to Welsey's first season in the league where he joined Kobe for a workout.

As for James Johnson I don't know too much about him. What type of a player is he?
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Something to think about in regards to 2014: We may able to get Dirk, I wonder if Nash can convince him to join us for cheap?

Look at that Mavs roster: VC, Bernard James, Jae Crowder, Marion, Jose Calderon, Monta Ellis no decent bigs...2 consecutive years of capspace, having a championship coach and they have struck out on Deron Williams, CP3, Howard and whatever border line all star out there and are stuck with Calderon and Ellis in the backcourt for next couple of years LOL . I think we can get him over here next season. Dallas has nothing going for them.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Phil XI on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:40 pm

He's the opposite of Nick Young. Hard nosed tough D in beefy body (like Ron ron sized) but limited O. He'd be a bookend to Young, one a flashy scorer and one a gritty defender.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:41 pm

XXIV wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I'm hoping Kobe can convince Wesley to come here for the minimum. They share the same agent and have some connection back to Welsey's first season in the league where he joined Kobe for a workout.

As for James Johnson I don't know too much about him. What type of a player is he?

I've hoped the same thing, but all reports are that Wesley really like Phoenix and Phoenix traded away Dudley so they have more space. I could be wrong and I would love to be wrong; I've wanted Johnson here for a long while now (most people called me crazy :man10:), but I just don't think it'll happen.

James Johnson is a big body about 6'9", very athletic, a pretty good defender, and that's about it. He can't shoot much, he doesn't pass well, he has pretty shaky handles on the ball. But for the minimum I think it'd be a good fit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:43 pm

The Rock wrote:Something to think about in regards to 2014: We may able to get Dirk, I wonder if Nash can convince him to join us for cheap?

Look at that Mavs roster: VC, Bernard James, Jae Crowder, Marion, Jose Calderon, Monta Ellis no decent bigs...2 consecutive years of capspace, having a championship coach and they have struck out on Deron Williams, CP3, Howard and whatever border line all star out there and are stuck with Calderon and Ellis in the backcourt for next couple of years LOL . I think we can get him over here next season. Dallas has nothing going for them.

So it's crazy to get LeBron, but to get Dirk it's no big deal? :man10:

And I suggested this first around here somewhere!

Go get Carmelo and LeBron and Dirk is as good as a Laker already! He's said anyone would love to play in LA... Screw Nash, his contract is getting stretched anyway. Bring on the Kobe, Carmelo, LeBron, Dirk, Gasol, Nick Young team of 2014! :jam2:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1235 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Barring injuries, yes.
While we are 3 years removed from it, in 2010 this same roster would be competing for a championship. There are a lot of ifs, but if Gasol returns to 80% of 2010 Gasol (finally resting this offseason), Kobe comes close to what he was last season, and Nash is healthy, then we aren't terrible by any stretch. Farmar and Nick Young and even Jordan Hill have a great chance of flourishing in this system.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Wing defenders Mitch. Let's go. If we got two wing defenders and a backup PF, we would have a great offseason in my book.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:
The Rock wrote:Something to think about in regards to 2014: We may able to get Dirk, I wonder if Nash can convince him to join us for cheap?

Go get Carmelo and LeBron and Dirk is as good as a Laker already! He's said anyone would love to play in LA... Screw Nash, his contract is getting stretched anyway. Bring on the Kobe, Carmelo, LeBron, Dirk, Gasol, Nick Young team of 2014! :jam2:

I mean Dirk has more reasons to leave than 'Bron...heck Dirk has even talked about it he'd rather play elesewhere than be a middling team and Dallas is doing exactly that.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:

Barring injuries, yes.
While we are 3 years removed from it, in 2010 this same roster would be competing for a championship. There are a lot of ifs, but if Gasol returns to 80% of 2010 Gasol (finally resting this offseason), Kobe comes close to what he was last season, and Nash is healthy, then we aren't terrible by any stretch. Farmar and Nick Young and even Jordan Hill have a great chance of flourishing in this system.

lots and lots of ifs man. The teams around us have gotten better and we've gotten worse. We've addressed small needs here and there but we've lost components that made us a successful team last year...not to mention some of those remainig parts from last year and are also a year older

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:53 pm

The Rock wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I mean Dirk has more reasons to leave than 'Bron...heck Dirk has even talked about it he'd rather play elesewhere than be a middling team and Dallas is doing exactly that.

LeBron wants to play on a middling team in the prime of his career though? Miami looks okay now, but is okay enough? They BARELY won this Championship. Some would say they might not even deserve it.

There's reason for him to leave. Especially if they can't update their roster. Bosh and Wade have almost outlived their usefulness and the rest of his roster belongs in a retirement home.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Ok other than Brooklyn what roster out in the East can seriously compete with them. Chicago? Maybe if Rose is healthy but someone is always hurt come playoff time, theyre a fine defensive team but suck on offense, other than that the East is weak. These teams push them to Game 7 but Miami dominates regular season so much they can get away with snoozing through a series and winning a game 7 at home (like we did vs Houston in 09).

They offer glimmer of hope here and there but that roster is well suited for Lebron, Pat Riley wouldn't let him off his watch no way no how

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:01 pm

The Rock wrote:Ok other than Brooklyn what roster out in the East can seriously compete with them. Chicago? Maybe if Rose is healthy but someone is always hurt come playoff time, theyre a fine defensive team but suck on offense, other than that the East is weak. These teams push them to Game 7 but Miami dominates regular season so much they can get away with snoozing through a series and winning a game 7 at home (like we did vs Houston in 09).

They offer glimmer of hope here and there but that roster is well suited for Lebron, Pat Riley wouldn't let him off his watch no way no how

BKN, CHI, IND, maybe NYK.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:03 pm

XXIV wrote:
The Rock wrote:Ok other than Brooklyn what roster out in the East can seriously compete with them. Chicago? Maybe if Rose is healthy but someone is always hurt come playoff time, theyre a fine defensive team but suck on offense, other than that the East is weak. These teams push them to Game 7 but Miami dominates regular season so much they can get away with snoozing through a series and winning a game 7 at home (like we did vs Houston in 09).

I was on the Knicks bandwagon last year but having JR Smith as your 2nd best scorer is trouble. I'll give you BKN and CHI because they got some great defensive players, INDY im not convinced at all

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby LakerFan1235 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:04 pm

The Rock wrote:
LakerFan1235 wrote:

Barring injuries, yes.

lots and lots of ifs man. The teams around us have gotten better and we've gotten worse. We've addressed small needs here and there but we've lost components that made us a successful team last year...not to mention some of those remainig parts from last year and are also a year older

So basically, it all goes back to F**k D12 lol
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 pm

The Rock wrote:
XXIV wrote:

I was on the Knicks bandwagon last year but having JR Smith as your 2nd best scorer is trouble. I'll give you BKN and CHI because they got some great defensive players, INDY im not convinced at all

Indiana took them to 7 games WITHOUT Granger. And they needed Granger's scoring badly.

There's plenty of competition out East. Especially for a team coming off of 3 straight Finals appearances that was barely able to squeak out a win against the Spurs.

I'm not even saying there's a good chance he'll leave. Only that once he looks around and if Riley hasn't made any moves... he can notice that LA is on the rise again and that if he wants rings he should move on.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:15 pm

I don't think anyone here really believes we're winning a title this season. I think most would agree that we will fight to make the playoffs again, depending on how long Kobe is out, and how he looks when he returns. Us thinking we will have a team out there with players that like eachother and thus being more fun to watch doesn't mean we think we'll be competitive. Thinking we won't have a season with all the infighting and drama making us at least optimistic to cheer for our team doesn't mean we think we'll be seriously competitive. I think you're confusing looking for the positive in a season that feels lost before it starts, or looking for possible little building blocks for the future in what we're doing as thinking we're going to win anything significant.

Our roster isn't the greatest, it isn't even finished being put together, but I think this team can't be much worse than last season if we just add a decent SF and PF from here. At the very least we've added players that want to be here and represent the franchise and have pride about being Lakers. We can also hope to not be hit so hard by injury again, if Nash, Pau, and Hill can just stay on the court this season that's a plus right there, they all missed a ton of games last season. I obviously think we're gonna lose a lot of games because many teams are better than ours, but I don't think all the confusion, finger pointing, infighting, and drama will come with it, so I can handle that. I do not think we have gotten significantly worse than last season (or that that many teams got that much better that weren't already better than us anyway) though, because i don't believe we can be hit that hard by injury again, the great player we lost in Dwight was a guy that never really wanted to be here and rarely gave us his best effort, and lastly, good chemistry might even win us a few games along the way.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby chingy248 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:27 pm

The Dallas Mavericks have struck a free-agent deal with guard Monta Ellis, according to sources close to the process. Sources told ESPN.com that the Mavericks and Ellis have agreed to terms on a three-year deal that -- depending on where Dallas' ends up in terms of salary-cap space as it works on a number of deals -- could rise to as high as $30 million. The deal, at the minimum, will be in the $25 million range, sources said. ESPN.com

Last I heard, last nite, Mavs and Dalembert had a full day meeting. Hopefully this doesn't mean Sammy to Miami
chingy248

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Wing defenders Mitch. Let's go. If we got two wing defenders and a backup PF, we would have a great offseason in my book.

I agree
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion